Relegation Watch

632 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Relegation Watch

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Apr 2018 17:44

If we could sneak wins against Weds and Ipswich that would be a fine end to the season and take us out on a high with something to build on rather than trudging on whimpering.

For the record, staying up by a narrow margin after fighting your way clear is WAY better limping into 17th. Beating relegation after a proper fight is better than a late charge ingo the play offs in some ways. At least you know it's job done.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 16 Apr 2018 20:09

Snowflake Royal If we could sneak wins against Weds and Ipswich that would be a fine end to the season and take us out on a high with something to build on rather than trudging on whimpering.

For the record, staying up by a narrow margin after fighting your way clear is WAY better limping into 17th. Beating relegation after a proper fight is better than a late charge ingo the play offs in some ways. At least you know it's job done.

Your second paragraph is gobbledygook.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 16 Apr 2018 20:43

Just a small twist on this title......If we do stay up I think its gonna be tough again next season. I think the teams coming up and teams coming down (especially) are gonna be bloody tough. The fact the three coming down from above have been in the PL a while really does give them a bit of an advantage as none of them are skint or short of talent.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 16 Apr 2018 20:50

Ascotexgunner Just a small twist on this title......If we do stay up I think its gonna be tough again next season. I think the teams coming up and teams coming down (especially) are gonna be bloody tough. The fact the three coming down from above have been in the PL a while really does give them a bit of an advantage as none of them are skint or short of talent.

Clement has a huge amount to do in the summer. I expect us to stay up but we are a poor side at this level with far to many passengers. It will be tough next season.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 16 Apr 2018 21:05

I keep having this recurring dream or nightmare that we will go down on the last day of the season. We have not been in the bottom three all season but the final day it happens. Cardiff are celebrating promotion with a pitch invasion whilst our fans are stuck in the corner devastated a year on from being a penalty kick away from the premiership we drop to the third tier.

double d

by double d » 16 Apr 2018 21:05

Ascotexgunner Just a small twist on this title......If we do stay up I think its gonna be tough again next season. I think the teams coming up and teams coming down (especially) are gonna be bloody tough. The fact the three coming down from above have been in the PL a while really does give them a bit of an advantage as none of them are skint or short of talent.

I think Southampton and stoke will be an utter ballache to play against in this league.

Good god imagine Charlie Austin, Shaqiri (he won't stay anyway) or Tadic against our defence :shock:

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 16 Apr 2018 21:07

I take your point about the PL relegatees, but I'm not sure that follows necessarily. A team that has gone up and come straight back down again will have a number of players who are used to playing in the Championship.

A team that is "used" to being Premier League can be a bit shell-shocked when they come down first.

Or their relgation is symptomatic of things being so shambolic behind the scenes it will take a couple of years to sort out.

Quite frequently the teams you have to watch out for, particularly early in the season, are the newly promoted sides, as they're in the habit of winning, frequently with a settled team with maybe a few new joiners, and the gap between L1 and Championship is not as large (IMO) as between PL and Championship.

None of that takes away from the fact that Clement has a big rebuilding job to do this summer.

double d

by double d » 16 Apr 2018 21:16

muirinho

I take your point about the PL relegatees, but I'm not sure that follows necessarily. A team that has gone up and come straight back down again will have a number of players who are used to playing in the Championship.

A team that is "used" to being Premier League can be a bit shell-shocked when they come down first.

Or their relgation is symptomatic of things being so shambolic behind the scenes it will take a couple of years to sort out.

Quite frequently the teams you have to watch out for, particularly early in the season, are the newly promoted sides, as they're in the habit of winning, frequently with a settled team with maybe a few new joiners, and the gap between L1 and Championship is not as large (IMO) as between PL and Championship.

None of that takes away from the fact that Clement has a big rebuilding job to do this summer.

We need a 15/20 goal striker (or 2) that's for sure.

I think Wigan and Blackburn will be dangerous should they go up.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 16 Apr 2018 21:19

I can see Saints and West Brom doing ok, Stoke I'm not so sure about. All depends a lot on who leaves each club in the summer. Plus there's lots of other twists and turns. Wigan and Blackburn will probably be solid midtable outfits (if not high up in the league).

I think we need to sign 2 midfielders in the summer who are skilful, solid and upto it at this level. If we bring those plus a goalscorer or 2 in and replace whoever departs then I think we will be much better next season. We will have Obita back which will be handy (if he can get back to form)

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 16 Apr 2018 21:30

West Brom are skint aren’t they?

It’s one of the great things about the champ is you don’t know from one season to the next. I’d never have had Sheff Utd or Millwall up there, likewise us the season before

Undoubtedly a big job on Clements hands though. The confidence still looks pretty shot even if the fight is back

He’ll need to make a couple of very good signings I think - not necessarily big money ones, just the right ones

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 16 Apr 2018 22:36

Jackson Corner devastated a year on from being a penalty kick away from the premiership we drop to the third tier.

We are so far short of being a decent side. Had we been promoted we may have beaten Derby's record haul of 11 points.........

double d

by double d » 16 Apr 2018 22:43

Lower West
Jackson Corner devastated a year on from being a penalty kick away from the premiership we drop to the third tier.

We are so far short of being a decent side. Had we been promoted we may have beaten Derby's record haul of 11 points.........

I don't think that is a record that will ever be beaten in this day and age. Even we would be able to get 3 wins and 3 draws.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 17 Apr 2018 08:54

I'm very impressed that the pearl grabbers who have realised that we'll probably be fine this year have already transferred their panic over to the next campaign, brilliant stuff

double d

by double d » 17 Apr 2018 08:58

Silver Fox I'm very impressed that the pearl grabbers who have realised that we'll probably be fine this year have already transferred their panic over to the next campaign, brilliant stuff

We will be fine next season. We are really a mid table team. If we cAn stay above whoever doesn't go down out of brum/barnsley/Bolton and then playoff winner we will be fine.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 17 Apr 2018 09:03

Royal_jimmy I can see Saints and West Brom doing ok, Stoke I'm not so sure about. All depends a lot on who leaves each club in the summer. Plus there's lots of other twists and turns. Wigan and Blackburn will probably be solid midtable outfits (if not high up in the league).

I think we need to sign 2 midfielders in the summer who are skilful, solid and upto it at this level. If we bring those plus a goalscorer or 2 in and replace whoever departs then I think we will be much better next season. We will have Obita back which will be handy (if he can get back to form)

Wigan were awful after their last promotion (they won L1 2 years ago) so a lot will depend on how they approach things this summer. Blackburn have recruited well but with Venky's in charge they are only ever a week away from the next crisis.

In the past couple of seasons, it seems to be the L1 play-off winners that have done the best. Millwall this year, Barnsley last and Preston before that.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 17 Apr 2018 09:43

Silver Fox I'm very impressed that the pearl grabbers who have realised that we'll probably be fine this year have already transferred their panic over to the next campaign, brilliant stuff

Despite our struggles this season, I actually don't think we need wholesale changes (given we do stay up).

We need a striker and a defensive midfielder (to sit behind Kelly and Swift) as priority. Maybe a right winger. Otherwise I think the squad is okay, it just needs this season to be over and to have a break and come back fresh with a new manager.

double d

by double d » 17 Apr 2018 09:46

genome

Despite our struggles this season, I actually don't think we need wholesale changes (given we do stay up).

We need a striker and a defensive midfielder (to sit behind Kelly and Swift) as priority. Maybe a right winger. Otherwise I think the squad is okay, it just needs this season to be over and to have a break and come back fresh with a new manager.

I think we need 2 strikers.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 17 Apr 2018 11:26

double d
genome

Whichever league we're in, plus defence needs beefing up.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 17 Apr 2018 20:43

Forbury Lion
double d
genome

Our full backs are poor. Obita maybe back next season, but will he stay fit?
A striker has to be a priority. I wonder how many players we will ship out?
If a good offer comes in for Gunter I'd take it.

double d

by double d » 17 Apr 2018 21:15

Ascotexgunner
Forbury Lion
double d

Our full backs are poor. Obita maybe back next season, but will he stay fit?
A striker has to be a priority. I wonder how many players we will ship out?
If a good offer comes in for Gunter I'd take it.

.i would take 1 mill for him

632 posts