The Secret Footballer .... Again

marlowuk

The Secret Footballer .... Again

by marlowuk » 10 Apr 2018 01:05

The BBC currently has an article about the 'Secret Footballer' which is interesting - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43680519 .

It seems he is thinking of 'outing' himself before someone else does and I'm sure most of us would be surprised if it were other than our own Dave Kitson. Apparently he has had things rough (mentally) recently which is sad to hear. I always thought he was one of the good guys if a bit of a loner.

jar95

Re: The Secret Footballer .... Again

by jar95 » 10 Apr 2018 09:40

Near enough 100% Kits - just hope when/if it comes out officially it doesnt have a negative impact on him. He admitted to having mental health issues at the recent evening with dave kitson

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 10 Apr 2018 09:42

The Secret Footballer was still playing as late as 2011. He is English, has played for at least two Premier League clubs and was relegated from the top flight on the final day of the season.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 10 Apr 2018 10:01

As mentioned elsewhere Kits was indeed playing as late as 2011 but he was playing for another 4 years after that so it seems like a really odd turn of phrase

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 10 Apr 2018 10:02

Silver Fox As mentioned elsewhere Kits was indeed playing as late as 2011 but he was playing for another 4 years after that so it seems like a really odd turn of phrase

Smokescreen

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 10 Apr 2018 11:31

They could have sued him already and/or the publishers if they were named in the book. Otherwise he can claim the other stories were fictional & still not name names.

Probably would get a lot of after dinner speaking/events = money from being booked as the secret footballer. Handy if you don't have much coming in anyway and have run out of stories to write

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 10 Apr 2018 11:46

marlowuk The BBC currently has an article about the 'Secret Footballer' which is interesting - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43680519 .

It seems he is thinking of 'outing' himself before someone else does and I'm sure most of us would be surprised if it were other than our own Dave Kitson. Apparently he has had things rough (mentally) recently which is sad to hear. I always thought he was one of the good guys if a bit of a loner.

First of all pretty much everyone knows this is Kitson - as established on another thread. Some of the stories don't match but these are smokescreens / contributions or anecdotes from other players.

Second, this is so obviously just a publicity stunt - probably to increase sales on his books or a new book about to be released. Hey I want to tell you all who I am, but I won't ... but read my book and try and guess who I am! Why would he want to out himself? Would totally defeat the purpose.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 10 Apr 2018 11:46

The last part of the article says "My autobiography will sell on the back of me outing myself but I can't do it at the moment even though I want to." - He should probably write the autobiography first, if he hasn't already..... and if Dave Kitson isn't the secret footballer, he should write an autobiography and cash in with everyone who thinks it's him before the real secret footballer outs himself.

I'd buy Kitson's autobiography anyway, I reckon it would be a good read.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 10 Apr 2018 11:48

Could go the way of the first Stig - outed himself, got replaced, probably worse off as a result.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 16 Apr 2018 15:11

I always assumed that either the Secret Footballer stories were a composite of a few different players or that some of them at least were fabricated. It doesn't seem that they can all fit together and be the same person - there is stuff in there that 100% couldn't be Kits.

biff

by biff » 16 Apr 2018 15:50

Have it on player authority that it is indeed Kitson.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 16 Apr 2018 16:15

biff Have it on player authority that it is indeed Kitson.

I was at the recent Kitson RFCFPA do at the Tilehurst BL, Kits did pretty much deny it wasn't him. Could have been a smokescreen of course.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 16 Apr 2018 16:23

strap
biff Have it on player authority that it is indeed Kitson.

I was at the recent Kitson RFCFPA do at the Tilehurst BL, Kits did pretty much deny it wasn't him. Could have been a smokescreen of course.

which means it was him. Right?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 16 Apr 2018 16:29

Forbury Lion

Agreed, think it would be very entertaining. Maybe with a forward by Glen Little?

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 16 Apr 2018 16:43

Hendo
Forbury Lion

Agreed, think it would be very entertaining. Maybe with a forward by Glen Little?
presumably not one from Graeme Murty though, assuming Dave is the secret footballer.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 16 Apr 2018 16:52

Forbury Lion
Hendo
Forbury Lion

presumably not one from Graeme Murty though, assuming Dave is the secret footballer.

Next stage after TSF "coming out" would be identifying the players and coaches etc he is referring to. Can imagine some would not be too happy about it.

I've enjoyed what I've read from the books/columns, but think Kitson doesn't have totally accurate recall, and has a small forest of chips on his shoulder, so I'm not sure how much I'd trust what he says anyway. Wasn't it him that moaned the 106 team were never invited back by Reading for anything, and people responded with tweets and pictures of times he'd been invited back....

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 16 Apr 2018 18:21

muirinho
Forbury Lion
Hendo

Next stage after TSF "coming out" would be identifying the players and coaches etc he is referring to. Can imagine some would not be too happy about it.

I've enjoyed what I've read from the books/columns, but think Kitson doesn't have totally accurate recall, and has a small forest of chips on his shoulder, so I'm not sure how much I'd trust what he says anyway. Wasn't it him that moaned the 106 team were never invited back by Reading for anything, and people responded with tweets and pictures of times he'd been invited back....

If he doesn't want to be outed as TSF due to possible legal implications, it does mean none of the potentially dodgy bits could be in his autobiography either.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 17 Apr 2018 09:52

tmesis
muirinho
Forbury Lion presumably not one from Graeme Murty though, assuming Dave is the secret footballer.

If he doesn't want to be outed as TSF due to possible legal implications, it does mean none of the potentially dodgy bits could be in his autobiography either.
TSF and the publishers can still be sued by those named in the book - just like I can be sued if I write something libellous under this fake username.
If he comes out as TSF, he just needs to say that some of the stories were true and some were not without stating which ones, If it isn't in his personal autobiography he can add a mention that some stories were left out for legal reasons and some because they were fictional without saying which ones.
This will keep the anonymity of, for example, the captain of the championship club (if it was a real person) who sided with the management & had auction proceeds paid into their own testimonial pot as their chosen charity - they will only out theirselves if they attempt to sue TSF in the, presumably mistaken belief the story was about them..... of course, if it is all true and others can back it up they would probably want to keep quiet anyway

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 17 Apr 2018 09:55

tmesis
muirinho
Forbury Lion presumably not one from Graeme Murty though, assuming Dave is the secret footballer.

Unless he writes about being TSF and how he made up a story about x y z based on similar experiences that may or may not have happened that he can not possibly discuss due to possible libel action...... let the readers fill in the blanks and connect the dots.

Hiram K Hackenbacker

by Hiram K Hackenbacker » 17 Apr 2018 14:51

Forbury Lion
tmesis
muirinho

Unless he writes about being TSF and how he made up a story about x y z based on similar experiences that may or may not have happened that he can not possibly discuss due to possible libel action...... let the readers fill in the blanks and connect the dots.

I agree