Re: BFTG Sunderland

by AthleticoSpizz » 15 Apr 2018 17:15

Jeez

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 15 Apr 2018 17:15

To state the blindingly obvious, it's all about results at this time of the season and good results are usually easier to come by against teams with nothing left to play for.

Sunderland were in the last chance saloon; Only a win would have given them the slightest chance of survival and that's how they played for the entire 95 minutes. Had we got lucky we might have faced a team resigned to it's fate but we didn't.

Under Stam we would have lost, under Clement, we fought like dogs and got a point. Both teams played as well as the other let them and neither deserved to lose.

Today we should be grateful we're not Sunderland and, rather than crying over 2 lost points some seemed to think were ours for the taking, look forward to Sheff Wed and Ipswich, both of whom's seasons are done and dusted.

If we can't get the few points we need off them we deserve to go down.
Last edited by Woodcote Royal on 16 Apr 2018 15:48, edited 1 time in total.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 15 Apr 2018 18:16

Zip
Hound Can’t see Joey or Edwards playing next season

Swift/Bacuna/Kelly is prob our best combo but Bacuna’s stupidity has messed that up

I’m not convinced Evans is any better than an ok fill in. He hasn’t really progressed and never seems to dominate a game

Interesting to see Rinomhota was picked ahead of him for the game. I think that might be the precedent now

Yes Evans not in the squad even though fit. I think he will go in the summer along with Edwards, Van Den Berg and Quinn. We need a clear out of central midfielders.

Evans is, apparently still carrying a minor problem though that wasn’t why he was not selected. PC stated he wanted to have some cover for right back on the bench and, apparently, Rinomhota can provide that so one of the other midfielders had to make way and as GE is not as perfectly fit as possible he was the one to miss out.

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 16 Apr 2018 09:09

Zip

Swift/Bacuna/Kelly is prob our best combo but Bacuna’s stupidity has messed that up

I’m not convinced Evans is any better than an ok fill in. He hasn’t really progressed and never seems to dominate a game

Interesting to see Rinomhota was picked ahead of him for the game. I think that might be the precedent now

Yes Evans not in the squad even though fit. I think he will go in the summer along with Edwards, Van Den Berg and Quinn. We need a clear out of central midfielders.

Love to see Quinn back and fit

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 16 Apr 2018 09:40

paddy20
Zip

If he is of the same quality before his run of injuries, definitely but it's hard to say what the string of injuries he's had will have done to his ability.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 16 Apr 2018 10:08

paddy20
Zip

Retirement announced end of season. :cry:

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 16 Apr 2018 11:31

windermereROYAL Lose next week and Ipswich will be massive.

Nah, they'll still be the same size barring a Digby style growth spurt... ;)

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 16 Apr 2018 12:04

Well. How crucial could Kermorgant's goal be. We'd really be in it if we lost that.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 16 Apr 2018 12:05

John Smith Well. How crucial could Kermorgant's goal be. We'd really be in it if we lost that.

Or how crucial might be his two glaring misses after the goal?

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 16 Apr 2018 12:08

Snowball
John Smith Well. How crucial could Kermorgant's goal be. We'd really be in it if we lost that.

Or how crucial might be his two glaring misses after the goal?

Never happy with what you've got are you Snowball

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 16 Apr 2018 18:22

paddy20
Zip

Jimmy Quinn would do at the moment.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 17 Apr 2018 11:28

LWJ
paddy20
Zip

Retirement announced end of season. :cry:
That may change if he knew he had a chance of playing regularly for us.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 17 Apr 2018 14:41

that's a very lightweight midfield 3 imo

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Apr 2018 17:50

Maneki Neko

Agree, if you want to play Kelly and Swift you need a total destroyer in there.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 Apr 2018 19:29

Snowflake Royal
Maneki Neko

Which we don’t have

And Joey, Evans and Edwards have all been useless this year in all honesty

Not saying it’s a perfect combo, but it’s the best we have

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Apr 2018 20:20

Hound
Snowflake Royal
Maneki Neko

Which we don’t have

That's kinda my point. We don't have what we need to make it work, so I don't think it is the best. I think it's an invitation to be overrun.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 Apr 2018 21:05

Snowflake Royal
Hound
Snowflake Royal Agree, if you want to play Kelly and Swift you need a total destroyer in there.

Which we don’t have

That's kinda my point. We don't have what we need to make it work, so I don't think it is the best. I think it's an invitation to be overrun.

Fair enough - but who else would you have in there? We’ve tried pretty much every combo and it’s come up short. Bring Joey back in? Sadly think I’d prefer him to Evans or Edwards currently

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Apr 2018 00:10

Hound
Snowflake Royal
Hound
Which we don’t have

Fair enough - but who else would you have in there? We’ve tried pretty much every combo and it’s come up short. Bring Joey back in? Sadly think I’d prefer him to Evans or Edwards currently

See, I thought Joey and Dave played well against QPR... clearly Edwards had a stinker against Sunderland.

I'm convinced that's it's much more about picking the right balance than the best players.

The problem is Kelly and Swift don't play the same position, which makes the combos difficult.

I'd say probably
DM: Berg / Evans
CM: Kelly / Bacuna
AM: Swift / Edwards / Clement

With Evans and to a lesser extent Edwards having some overlap into standard midfield and Bacuna into defensive. It's finding a combination that doesn't include Kelly and Clement / Swift that's the best option IMO. Exactly which? Dunno.

I'm not a big fan of Swift and I'm desperate to see Kelly do well, which I'm trying to factor in. Of the two, Kelly's scored and assisted more, more recently. Bacuna's out which reduces the options.

So
Berg, Kelly, Edwards
Berg, Edwards, Swift

I'd take Evans over Berg or Edwards at a push too.

Maybe break the rule with Berg, Kelly, Swift

To he honest for the first time i just don't know what the oxf*rd to do with this squad it's such an underperfprming mess.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 18 Apr 2018 13:19

personally think Evans/Edwards/Kelly or swift is our best midfield.

the issues with those players looking bad when theyre squeezed into formations/unbalanced midfields
imo

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 18 Apr 2018 14:31

Hound
Snowflake Royal
Hound
Which we don’t have

Now don't dismiss this out of hand as the ramblings of a madman, but what about Tyler in there as the defensive holding player? Big strong lad who can tackle. Fairly mobile and has shown he can also pick a gem of a pass at times..