by Old Man Andrews » 26 Apr 2018 14:20

It would appear that the FA could be selling Wembley Stadium to Fulham's owner:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43906272

Good idea? Bad idea? Don't care?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: FA selling Wembley Stadium

by Sutekh » 26 Apr 2018 14:34

Old Man Andrews It would appear that the FA could be selling Wembley Stadium to Fulham's owner:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43906272

Good idea? Bad idea? Don't care?

If it could mean the end of FA Cup Semis being played there then it's good

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 26 Apr 2018 14:38

Did the FA get any public money from the government to build it?

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 26 Apr 2018 15:44

Do I trust the FA with Wembley? Not really.

Do I trust this new mob with it? Not really.

Put me down as somewhat indifferent.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 26 Apr 2018 18:48

I think it's more telling that Khan is owner of Jacksonville Jaguars and there's ongoing speculation about an NFL franchise moving to London.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 26 Apr 2018 19:47

Is “The Cottage” getting redeveloped?

Fulham will need somewhere to play (lol btw)

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 26 Apr 2018 22:12

From Despair To Where? I think it's more telling that Khan is owner of Jacksonville Jaguars and there's ongoing speculation about an NFL franchise moving to London.

I think that's a given which means Chelsea won't be able play there due to the clash in the timetables whilst their new ground is built......someone suggested that they might use our ground on the radio as Brentford's new ground won't be ready and Fulham's is also going through a refit.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 27 Apr 2018 08:26

AthleticoSpizz Is “The Cottage” getting redeveloped?

Fulham will need somewhere to play (lol btw)

Yes it is, but they won't be moving out - reduced capacity for a season whilst the Riverside Stand is redeveloped. It only holds just under 5,000 at the moment so isn't a big loss in terms of ticket sales.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 27 Apr 2018 08:49

Overall, I think this could be a good deal for all concerned.

FA no longer have to worry about paying back the debt on rebuilding Wembley or the costs of maintenance. Whatever is left of the 600m (or whatever the bid is) can be invested into grass roots. FA could heavily subsidise on even pay for coaching courses.

On the football side, will probably force England to play more games around the country but only in the autumn (assuming that an NFL team end up playing there), so would play games in Sep/Oct in Manchester, Coventry, Newcastle etc. Sure there would still be the option to play Germany or whoever at Wembley if really needed.

FA Cup Semi Finals can go back to being on neutral club grounds - Old Trafford, Emirates, Etihad, Anfield and St James Park all easily big enough to host those games.

If this bid is seen as the first step in either the Jaguars moving to London then this will really piss off Spurs, who have built out their stadium with the NFL in mind. So that'll be fun too.

Biggest opposition at the moment seems to be that Wembley could end up being called the Taco Bell Bowl or something stupid but isn't already sponsored by EE any way, so not sure how that causes a problem either.

North Royal Lad

by North Royal Lad » 27 Apr 2018 08:53

Stranded Overall, I think this could be a good deal for all concerned.

FA no longer have to worry about paying back the debt on rebuilding Wembley or the costs of maintenance. Whatever is left of the 600m (or whatever the bid is) can be invested into grass roots. FA could heavily subsidise on even pay for coaching courses.

On the football side, will probably force England to play more games around the country but only in the autumn (assuming that an NFL team end up playing there), so would play games in Sep/Oct in Manchester, Coventry, Newcastle etc. Sure there would still be the option to play Germany or whoever at Wembley if really needed.

FA Cup Semi Finals can go back to being on neutral club grounds - Old Trafford, Emirates, Etihad, Anfield and St James Park all easily big enough to host those games.

If this bid is seen as the first step in either the Jaguars moving to London then this will really piss off Spurs, who have built out their stadium with the NFL in mind. So that'll be fun too.

Biggest opposition at the moment seems to be that Wembley could end up being called the Taco Bell Bowl or something stupid but isn't already sponsored by EE any way, so not sure how that causes a problem either.

but will it be Fa cup final Only .
it be ok Netual ground in semi final it was good

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 27 Apr 2018 09:42

Stranded If this bid is seen as the first step in either the Jaguars moving to London then this will really piss off Spurs, who have built out their stadium with the NFL in mind. So that'll be fun too.

Was the new Shite Hart Lane being lined up for a full time team? I thought they had a deal for 2 games a year, which I'm sure they'd stick with even after this. Not sure a football/NFL full ground share would work really.

'greed on the LOLz if it's upset Levy mind you

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 27 Apr 2018 09:47

Stranded Biggest opposition at the moment seems to be that Wembley could end up being called the Taco Bell Bowl or something stupid but isn't already sponsored by EE any way, so not sure how that causes a problem either.

The Taco Bell Wembley Bowl, to be pedantic. Apparently part of the deal is that any new name has to include Wembley in it.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 27 Apr 2018 09:54

Sanguine
Stranded Biggest opposition at the moment seems to be that Wembley could end up being called the Taco Bell Bowl or something stupid but isn't already sponsored by EE any way, so not sure how that causes a problem either.

The Taco Bell Wembley Bowl, to be pedantic. Apparently part of the deal is that any new name has to include Wembley in it.

If that meant they would actually build a big Taco Bell there then I am game for this.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 27 Apr 2018 10:00

Silver Fox
Stranded If this bid is seen as the first step in either the Jaguars moving to London then this will really piss off Spurs, who have built out their stadium with the NFL in mind. So that'll be fun too.

Was the new Shite Hart Lane being lined up for a full time team? I thought they had a deal for 2 games a year, which I'm sure they'd stick with even after this. Not sure a football/NFL full ground share would work really.

'greed on the LOLz if it's upset Levy mind you

Think they had one eye on that - starting with the 2 games a year and being in a position to take on a full time team. For example, the changing rooms have been designed to accomodate an NFL team. Not sure how long the deal is for but can't imagine that the NFL would still bring one off games over to London as/when the Jags move over (which I can only assume is Khan's plan here).

Agreed though, a share could be problematic, scheduling could be a nightmare, which is why Wembley makes much more sense esp. given it's moderate use between September and February - max of 4 England games currently(?) and the NFL games.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 27 Apr 2018 12:22

LOLz @ SSN plugging their Jamie Vardy interview "We've heard from lots of people about the potential sale but finally here's the opinion of an England player" unsurprisingly, no gr8 insight was provided by Vardy

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 03 May 2018 07:26

Old Man Andrews
Sanguine

If that meant they would actually build a big Taco Bell there then I am game for this.

IN

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 03 May 2018 09:02

Pepe the Horseman
Old Man Andrews
Sanguine

IN

In a land where godawful shite fast food rules, Taco Bell is the most godawful shitest of them all. It's tortilla wrapped clagnuts.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 03 May 2018 09:08

From Despair To Where?
Pepe the Horseman
Old Man Andrews

IN

In a land where godawful shite fast food rules, Taco Bell is the most godawful shitest of them all. It's tortilla wrapped clagnuts.

But who doesn't like Clagnuts?

I think it is about time we get Wendy's over here. Their burgers are amazing. I remember this massive square burger thing I had in Atlanta a few years ago, top burger.

18 posts   •   Page 1 of 1