Building for next season

478 posts
bracksroyal10

Re: Building for next season

by bracksroyal10 » 24 Apr 2018 18:17

Snowflake Royal
bracksroyal10
North Royal Lad You no nothing about football are you a kid ?

Oxford off and learn how to spell you tinpot tosspot, I’ve been a season ticket holder for years. How is that suggestion not in with a chance and also how does it suggest I know nothing about football? you idiot.

We could have got him in with the money we wasted on the likes of Aluko, Ilori, Blackett etc etc

This is the general problem with the fans of this club, so set in their Elm Park tinpot ways and lack ambition for their club. No wonder the atmosphere is utter dump each week and it’s no wonder Stam outstayed his welcome for so long.

Oh good. We could have had John Terry to play Right Wing, Left Back and Centreback in our last game, for the cost of three players. Colour me enthusiastic.

Not saying that at all, we had better, cheaper options that we sold and have so far performed better than what we have E.g Fosu, Popa ousted on loan, Cooper.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Apr 2018 18:26

bracksroyal10
Snowflake Royal
bracksroyal10
Oxford off and learn how to spell you tinpot tosspot, I’ve been a season ticket holder for years. How is that suggestion not in with a chance and also how does it suggest I know nothing about football? you idiot.

We could have got him in with the money we wasted on the likes of Aluko, Ilori, Blackett etc etc

This is the general problem with the fans of this club, so set in their Elm Park tinpot ways and lack ambition for their club. No wonder the atmosphere is utter dump each week and it’s no wonder Stam outstayed his welcome for so long.

Oh good. We could have had John Terry to play Right Wing, Left Back and Centreback in our last game, for the cost of three players. Colour me enthusiastic.

Not saying that at all, we had better, cheaper options that we sold and have so far performed better than what we have E.g Fosu, Popa ousted on loan, Cooper.

Popa's only popular because he never showed his total lack of fitness in the first team. He looked like the U23 game I saw him in was too much effort for him and his end product was woeful in that. Yeah he fired in a few goals in other games, but it's clear he had a questionable attitude and he certainly looked overweight.

Just because someone didn't get the chance to be repeatedly shit infront of thousands of home fans doesn't mean they were better.

double d

by double d » 24 Apr 2018 18:28

Snowflake Royal
bracksroyal10
Snowflake Royal Oh good. We could have had John Terry to play Right Wing, Left Back and Centreback in our last game, for the cost of three players. Colour me enthusiastic.

Popa's only popular because he never showed his total lack of fitness in the first team. He looked like the U23 game I saw him in was too much effort for him and his end product was woeful in that. Yeah he fired in a few goals in other games, but it's clear he had a questionable attitude and he certainly looked overweight.

Just because someone didn't get the chance to be repeatedly shit infront of thousands of home fans doesn't mean they were better.

Are You always this much of a negative and condescending prick?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Apr 2018 18:33

double d
Snowflake Royal
bracksroyal10

Normally I reserve it for you.

double d

by double d » 24 Apr 2018 18:40

Snowflake Royal
double d
Snowflake Royal Popa's only popular because he never showed his total lack of fitness in the first team. He looked like the U23 game I saw him in was too much effort for him and his end product was woeful in that. Yeah he fired in a few goals in other games, but it's clear he had a questionable attitude and he certainly looked overweight.

Normally I reserve it for you.

Who hurt you? Honestly? Did you get cheated on or something by a women/man?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 26 Apr 2018 14:21

some interesting comments from Ilori in the press conference:

'It's not just about the quality you have. The work rate has to be there as well. Football is a complete sport, it's not just talent and skill.'
'There wasn't a particular game when things went wrong. Sometimes I felt we didn't work as hard as the other team.'

Interesting to note the players recognised it as well. Major issue for me this term was the lack of fitness and movement, which immediately went up a notch when Clement came in

And this from Clement - 'The balance of the squad needs to be addressed - that's what we'll do over the summer.

There will be some movement but there won't be a massive overhaul.'

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Apr 2018 17:32

Good early attempt to manage expectations and shows a sensible approach.

I hate huge overhauls, so hard to build a team dynamic and understanding ready for the season start.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 26 Apr 2018 18:54

Hound some interesting comments from Ilori in the press conference:

'It's not just about the quality you have. The work rate has to be there as well. Football is a complete sport, it's not just talent and skill.'
'There wasn't a particular game when things went wrong. Sometimes I felt we didn't work as hard as the other team.'

Interesting to note the players recognised it as well. Major issue for me this term was the lack of fitness and movement, which immediately went up a notch when Clement came in

And this from Clement - 'The balance of the squad needs to be addressed - that's what we'll do over the summer.

There will be some movement but there won't be a massive overhaul.'

Clement thinks we have too many forwards so I cannot see Mendes getting a new deal. I would hope he would be in the market for another striker though. Clearly Martin will not be returning.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 26 Apr 2018 21:39

Snowball
SCIAG
Ascotexgunner Just a thought.....HRK and ShLong are dropping into the Championship again.....would any of you take HRK back?
Personally I would break the bank of Long....he's exactly what we need.......suspect its just a dream though and he will stay in the PL with another club......As for HRK......no thanks. Did OK but it wasn't enough for me.

Wouldn't take either of them. Long is over the hill and has scored 7 goals in his last 73 games. HRK was with us for years and never held down a spot.

The usual misrepresentation

Even though the pundits like to give the impression of him being useless his stats aren't that bad

Appearances, not starts, minutes, goals, assists, mins/goal, mins/goal-assist

2014-15 (041) 2179 07 07 311 156
2015-16 (034) 2374 13 06 183 125
2016-17 (045) 2071 05 04 414 230
2017-18 (029) 1606 02 02 803 402

2014-18 (149) 8230 27 19 305 179

Bit pointless to talk about what he was like four years and three injuries ago. He's a shadow of that player now.

If we look at the last two seasons, he's played 3677 minutes and scored 7 goals. That's the equivalent of just under 41 matches and a goal every 5.8 full games. That's 6 or 7 goals in a full Premier League season. No matter how you slice it, that's dreadful. Of course, extrapolating from "goals per minute" to "goals per season" is very shaky business, look at Iheanacho.

Long was always a player who relied very heavily on his pace to make up for the deficiencies in his game. Now that's largely gone, he still has the tenacity and bravery, but I don't think he'll get the sorts of figures that Kermorgant or Murray could get after dropping back down the leagues. I haven't done the minutes calculations, but it seems to me like his record over the last two years compares negatively to Doyle's record in Wolves' final two seasons in the PL when he scored 9 goals in 59 appearances. He scored 9 in the Championship after their relegation.

I don't think he'd represent an upgrade on Bodvarsson. It would be shocking if he got a contract at a PL club and quite surprising if Southampton weren't looking to sell.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 26 Apr 2018 22:08

We must by a striker.....that's a given. I'd like a lot more steel in midfield though. Sunderland's Paddy McNair I've rated as one of couple of shinning beacons in a sea of turds at that club. He might want out there. I think he would be a great signing. Thing is, how much money are we gonna need to replace the worthless crap infesting this squad.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 27 Apr 2018 09:30

Ascotexgunner We must by a striker.....that's a given. I'd like a lot more steel in midfield though. Sunderland's Paddy McNair I've rated as one of couple of shinning beacons in a sea of turds at that club. He might want out there. I think he would be a great signing. Thing is, how much money are we gonna need to replace the worthless crap infesting this squad.

Think they're hoping to build next season around him so they certainly see him as key. But then they have severe financial worries with FFP and a take over going on so could be possible at the right price.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 27 Apr 2018 10:00

Please could someone post the current player contract expiries. The last I recall seeing is this...

Goalkeepers
2017/2018 - Jaakkola, Bond, Ward
Can't remember - Legg, Southwood

Full backs
2017/2018 - Watson
2019/2020 - Gunter, Obita
Can't remember - Richards, Howe, Medford-Smith

Centre Backs
2017/2018 - McShane
2018/2019 - Blackett
2019/2020 - Moore, Ilori, Osho, McIntyre
Can't remember - Andresson

Central Midfielders
2017/2018 - van den Berg, Quinn
2018/2019 - Evans, Kelly, Swift, Gravenberch, Wieser
Can't remember - Barrett, Rinomhota, East, Holsgrove, Edwards, Bacuna, Clement

Wingers
2018/2019 - Meite, Harriott
2019/2020 - McCleary, Popa
2020/2021 - Aluko

Strikers
2017/2018 - Mendes, Rakels
2018/2019 - Kermorgant
Can't remember - Loader, Novakovich, Smith, Frost, Davis, Bodvarsson

Think TTE have something but you can never find it on their site

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 27 Apr 2018 10:08

Watson, Richards, Smith, Rinomhota and Barrett all signed deals this year. Think they may have all been for 2 more years after this but not sure. Will be on the official site

Kelly has 3 more years, Swift 4 after this one

Joey, Edwards and McShane have 1 more year after this

Novakovich has another year after this one

Bacuna and Clement have 2 more years I think

Henley Royal 1

by Henley Royal 1 » 27 Apr 2018 10:12

We need a goalkeeper , right back , centre half, two central midfielders,right winger and two centre forwards .

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 28 Apr 2018 00:11

With our talent on the flanks give them a lesson in tracking your man and creativity, switch it to 442 to allow some overlaps; and we might stand a chance of something competitive.

Thoroughly fed up of trying poorly to play with 1 striker and two false winger / forwards that don't track back. Hopefully Clement and Gibbo get back to basics, bring Obita / Harriott / Meite back in the side, get intensity back in our play and an Elwood in midfield. We'll be reet.

The whole 1 up top thing doesn't work unless you either play in the PL (as the oppo try it too), have a mega bucks striker or someone behind with all round quality for 46 games a la knockaert / forestieri / neves. We wont have any of those type players and for years now we have been kidding ourselves that we have the quality in attack to play the system.

It's no wonder everyone in this league had us worked out this season.
Last edited by royalp-we on 28 Apr 2018 00:42, edited 1 time in total.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 28 Apr 2018 00:42

royalp-we With our talent on the flanks give them a lesson in tracking your man and creativity, switch it to 442 to allow some overlaps; and we might stand a chance of something competitive.

Thoroughly fed up of trying poorly to play with 1 striker and two false winger / forwards that don't track back. Hopefully Clement and Gibbo get back to basics, get intensity back in our play and an Elwood in midfield. We'll be reet.

The whole 1 up top thing doesn't work unless you either play in the PL (as the oppo try it too), have a mega bucks striker or someone behind with all round quality for 46 games a la knockaert / forestieri / neves. We wont have any of those type players and for years now we have been kidding ourselves that we have the quality in attack to play the system.

I absolutely agree with this. Playing a lone striker hasn’t worked this season. I would like to see us playing two upfront with two authentic wingers.
We also desperately need a ball winner in midfield. Sad to say I don’t think we can play both Kelly and Swift in midfield. Certainly not at the moment. If we go 4-4-2 one of them has to be dropped.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 29 Apr 2018 08:39

Zip
royalp-we With our talent on the flanks give them a lesson in tracking your man and creativity, switch it to 442 to allow some overlaps; and we might stand a chance of something competitive.

Thoroughly fed up of trying poorly to play with 1 striker and two false winger / forwards that don't track back. Hopefully Clement and Gibbo get back to basics, get intensity back in our play and an Elwood in midfield. We'll be reet.

I absolutely agree with this. Playing a lone striker hasn’t worked this season. I would like to see us playing two upfront with two authentic wingers.
We also desperately need a ball winner in midfield. Sad to say I don’t think we can play both Kelly and Swift in midfield. Certainly not at the moment. If we go 4-4-2 one of them has to be dropped.[/quote8]

Problem is, the management don't read HNA! This post could have saved us some embarrassment yesterday!

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Apr 2018 12:23

Agree with Swift/Kelly not being a midfield 2, but who else was there? Evans is powderpuff and been poor all season. Joey has the mobility of a lame cow. Edwards is def not up to playing as 1 of a 2

You might get away with Bacuna + 1 other, but the muppet got himself pointlessly suspended

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Apr 2018 18:46

Hound Agree with Swift/Kelly not being a midfield 2, but who else was there? Evans is powderpuff and been poor all season. Joey has the mobility of a lame cow. Edwards is def not up to playing as 1 of a 2

You might get away with Bacuna + 1 other, but the muppet got himself pointlessly suspended

I would take literally any of the names you've mentioned over Swift in a two man midfield, and add Rinomhota and most of the rest of our U21 midfielders.

I know he looked tasty last season at times, but literally every time I've seen him he's been a total luxury who occasionally did something fancy that very rarely delivered. He's woefully out of form, struggling to recover fully from a series of injuries and was always a total lightweight. If Evans is powderpuff, I don't know what's left to describe Swift, who makes Evans look like Roy Keane in imposing physicality.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 29 Apr 2018 19:11

Heh, yeah if Swift had two Roy Keane's playing alongside with him, one each side, then you might have something. But as it is, you are right, he is very much a luxury for us at this time and place.

Anyway Ian, right now I've no idea how I'd go about fixing this, so am looking forward to your suggestions in due course over the Summer, see who becomes available, etc. Much work to be done for sure, else as you say, we could struggle again next season.

478 posts