Building for next season

478 posts
leon
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Building for next season

by leon » 07 May 2018 00:47

Zip
Lower West
Double d v2 Most people first and second lists are basically identical. I would put Kelly on the first list though.

From the low bar we are starting from. Unlikely we'll see wholesale changes.

Kelly needs a season or more in the lower leagues.

Elphick would make an ideal replacement for McShane. Both Moore and Ilori would benefit from playing in a back 3 with him.

Without knowing Clements preferred formation.

Definte out's should be Yann Kermorgant, Garath McCleary, Sone Aluko, Tyler Blackett, Dave Edwards, Yakou Meite, Adrian Popa, Danzell Gravenberch, Sandro Wieser, Joey van den Berg, Dave Edwards, Stephen Quinn, Anssi Jaakkola, Deniss Rakels,

Remainder should be given an opportunity. Cooper was a classic example of Stam letting a player go who wasn't a good enough technical footballer. Yet is proving himself more than able to play at Championship level. Change needs to be gradual. We need to build systematically and develope a style. Which is played throughout the whole club at every level.

I would agree with most of those to get rid of apart from Aluko. There is a good player there but it needs the manager to get a lot more out of him than he’s given us this season.

I agree with all of this bar Aluko who is a fcuking disgrace. His performances this season have been astonishing in their ineptitude and laziness.

I’m sick of him not getting fouled (or getting fouled) and then standing there waving his arms, complaining whilst the opposition carry on and try and score.

Absolutely get rid.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 May 2018 07:49

Yeah there’d be no place for Aluko in my team. Actually getting someone to take him will be a big challenge though

Even if he gave 100% there are still much better players around

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 07 May 2018 09:39

As decisions go, buying Aluko must be right up there with the most calamitous RFC decisions of all time.

Get rid but we'll make a big loss I'm sure

Hiram K Hackenbacker

by Hiram K Hackenbacker » 07 May 2018 10:08

bcubed As decisions go, buying Aluko must be right up there with the most calamitous RFC decisions of all time.

I agree

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 May 2018 10:36

Aluko just has no footballing brain. He takes five touches when he needs one - usually five low quality touches, dwells on the ball, can't hold a position, delays passes and crosses, constantly turns into trouble and barely ever plays to the whistle.

In a quality free flowing team full of confidence he'd be ok, but deliver far less than he should (see Fulham), but he's simply less than an empty shirt in a struggling team.

Once again, Reading show they are incompetent at spending big money.

Our record signings:
Lita, Halford, Fae, Mills, Ilori, Aluko...

What a tale of woe that lot are.

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 07 May 2018 10:51

bcubed As decisions go, buying Aluko must be right up there with the most calamitous RFC decisions of all time.

Don't forget, this is a club that managed to make both Vydra and Grabban look shit,
It might not be all Aluko's fault

super darren caskey
Hob Nob Regular

by super darren caskey » 07 May 2018 11:06

Snowflake Royal Aluko just has no footballing brain. He takes five touches when he needs one - usually five low quality touches, dwells on the ball, can't hold a position, delays passes and crosses, constantly turns into trouble and barely ever plays to the whistle.

In a quality free flowing team full of confidence he'd be ok, but deliver far less than he should (see Fulham), but he's simply less than an empty shirt in a struggling team.

Our record signings:

Lita was decent enough

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 07 May 2018 11:31

super darren caskey
Snowflake Royal Aluko just has no footballing brain. He takes five touches when he needs one - usually five low quality touches, dwells on the ball, can't hold a position, delays passes and crosses, constantly turns into trouble and barely ever plays to the whistle.

Our record signings:

Lita was decent enough

As was Matt Mills

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 07 May 2018 11:48

Our record signings:

Not sure that's a tale of woe?
Lita, Mills were fine.
Ilori is getting there
Halford we didn't lose any money

So, in the last 10 years or whatever it is, we've had two bad expensive signings. Think some clubs would look on that record with envy!

Delboy

by Delboy » 07 May 2018 12:08

We need a strong spine, last season Al Habsi, Moore, Williams, Kermorgant. 4 out of 4
This year Mannone ( not as good ) Moore (ok) Bacuna/Edwards ( not good ) Kermorgant ( injured) 1 out of 4
Fix this as priority.!!!!

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 07 May 2018 12:15

72 bus

Don't forget, this is a club that managed to make both Vydra and Grabban look shit,
It might not be all Aluko's fault

I agree - think it could be all about management; it took McD to get the best out of Kebe ...

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 07 May 2018 12:25

It may not be as easy to sell off players as some fans think. Remember, a player has to agree terms with a new club. So, if he has three years left on his contract at £x pounds per week he will may not agree to a two year contract on less money. Would you? He would more than likely say "I'm staying and going to fight for my place" whilst being happy to play in the under 23's and still being well paid.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 07 May 2018 12:38

I agree with most of the dead man walking list-with the proviso that we may have to just release a lot and pick up at least a part of their future salary. Resigning Joey and Kermit still makes my blood boil.
Sadly I think Evans will be on the list; for some reason Clement does not rate him-he must IMHO have been a better option than Edwards or Joey yesterday. If there is anything about him; he does rarely lose the ball. Joey was repeatedly caught out yesterday.
I am inclined to keep Aluko; if for no other reason than we will lose a small fortune on him. I am also inclined to keep Tyler.Who knows there are a couple of decent footballers in there somewhere.
Apart from maybe giving Elphick a cheapish contract-I wouldn't strengthen the defence.
We should put all our bets on two dynamic quick midfielders and an all round striker. Obtaining the first two should not be a problem-getting the striker however will be problematic-hopefully Clement has someone in mind from Spain-which few people know about- a Michu type would be ideal.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 07 May 2018 13:09

Westwood52 I agree with most of the dead man walking list-with the proviso that we may have to just release a lot and pick up at least a part of their future salary. Resigning Joey and Kermit still makes my blood boil.
Sadly I think Evans will be on the list; for some reason Clement does not rate him-he must IMHO have been a better option than Edwards or Joey yesterday. If there is anything about him; he does rarely lose the ball. Joey was repeatedly caught out yesterday.
I am inclined to keep Aluko; if for no other reason than we will lose a small fortune on him. I am also inclined to keep Tyler.Who knows there are a couple of decent footballers in there somewhere.
Apart from maybe giving Elphick a cheapish contract-I wouldn't strengthen the defence.
We should put all our bets on two dynamic quick midfielders and an all round striker. Obtaining the first two should not be a problem-getting the striker however will be problematic-hopefully Clement has someone in mind from Spain-which few people know about- a Michu type would be ideal.

I'll be a bit surprised if we sign Elphick. The loan was arranged/agreed back in January, prior to Clement even being here, so not sure how much he rates him. He'll likely be wanting a 2 or 3 year deal(?), and If he is signed, Clement won't have seen a lot of him (only 1 game, plus 1 sub).

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 May 2018 13:22

Sorry chaps, my standards for a record signing are a little higher than "decent" or recovering the money we wasted on them in the first place (which includes Fae).

And Mills was a pcunty walking liability with talent.

Ilori might make it, but not one of our big signings in the last 10-15 years has been an undisputable big success.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 07 May 2018 16:36

Lower West Remainder should be given an opportunity. Cooper was a classic example of Stam letting a player go who wasn't a good enough technical footballer. Yet is proving himself more than able to play at Championship level. Change needs to be gradual. We need to build systematically and develope a style. Which is played throughout the whole club at every level.

But also player development is a strange thing. Watson and Richards both came through out of nowhere.

Who would have expected Dai, Vancooten, Shaughnessy and MacDonald to end up with league careers when others like Jack Mills and Scott Davies dropped like a stone.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 07 May 2018 16:38

Snowflake Royal not one of our big signings in the last 10-15 years has been an undisputable big success.

Lita

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 May 2018 16:52

maffff
Snowflake Royal not one of our big signings in the last 10-15 years has been an undisputable big success.

Lita

Decent, but mainly scored in two short spells around the turn of the year and was part of the terrible attitude issues that saw us fall apart under Coppell. Outscored by both Doyle and Kitson who cost way less than half the price. End to his time here tarnished his success. About as good as we've managed. Not what I'd call an undisputable big success personally.

In any case, even if you're right... it's still an appalling hit rate.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 07 May 2018 16:57

True - big money signings have been pretty bad to average. I guess that's out-weighed by the free or virtually free ones who were big hits, especially Kevin Doyle and Shane Long.

Augem

by Augem » 07 May 2018 19:08

Get rid injury prone players .

478 posts