CONFIMRED - Dave Edwards

191 posts
Double d v2

Re: CONFIMRED - Dave Edwards

by Double d v2 » 14 May 2018 22:28

Snowflake Royal I thought he was alright to be honest. Some poor games, some decent. If I was to rank our midfielders based on performance this season it would probably be:

Kelly
Bacuna
Edwards
Evans
Berg
Swift
Aluko

This is nothing more than damning him with faint praise of course.

What a sorry bunch that lot are

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 14 May 2018 23:18

Double d v2
Snowflake Royal I thought he was alright to be honest. Some poor games, some decent. If I was to rank our midfielders based on performance this season it would probably be:

Kelly
Bacuna
Edwards
Evans
Berg
Swift
Aluko

This is nothing more than damning him with faint praise of course.

What a sorry bunch that lot are

But you know their performances were made worse by tactical ineptitude - i.e. playing lightweight but creative midfielders but with no proper DM.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 15 May 2018 08:44

Dave Edwards is a spineless nice guy who wants to be loved by everyone. He shouldn't have been signed and he shouldn't be here come August. Club should be doing all they can to pay him off and release him or offload him to bloody Shrewsbury. He can take the rest of the midfield with him.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 15 May 2018 09:39

Old Man Andrews Dave Edwards is a spineless nice guy who wants to be loved by everyone. He shouldn't have been signed and he shouldn't be here come August. Club should be doing all they can to pay him off and release him or offload him to bloody Shrewsbury. He can take the rest of the midfield with him.

Pay him off? What kind of planet are you on?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 15 May 2018 09:49

Royalwaster
Old Man Andrews Dave Edwards is a spineless nice guy who wants to be loved by everyone. He shouldn't have been signed and he shouldn't be here come August. Club should be doing all they can to pay him off and release him or offload him to bloody Shrewsbury. He can take the rest of the midfield with him.

Pay him off? What kind of planet are you on?

Yes it is pretty common in football. The two parties come together and agree a settlement figure based on his wages. He goes somewhere to play first team football and we get rid of a lemon. Everyone wins.

You're making out as if he is on astronomical wages, he isn't.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 15 May 2018 09:51

What are his wages then?

And so you'd be happy to spend a substantial part of our transfer kitty on paying off players?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 15 May 2018 09:59

Royalwaster What are his wages then?

And so you'd be happy to spend a substantial part of our transfer kitty on paying off players?

*Player

You wouldn't need to pay him anywhere near the full amount of his wages. The norm for players of his age and contract length is to sit down with their agents and explain that he is not in the clubs future plans and won't get game time. The two parties come to an arrangement to then cancel the contract and receive a percentage of their remaining wages and then have the luxury of being able to pick and choose their next club. It is very common in football and other team sports. I work in this sort of field so have a reasonable idea on the process of contract breaks/negotiation.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 15 May 2018 10:01

Old Man Andrews

*Player

You wouldn't need to pay him anywhere near the full amount of his wages. The norm for players of his age and contract length is to sit down with their agents and explain that he is not in the clubs future plans and won't get game time. The two parties come to an arrangement to then cancel the contract and receive a percentage of their remaining wages and then have the luxury of being able to pick and choose their next club. It is very common in football and other team sports. I work in this sort of field so have a reasonable idea on the process of contract breaks/negotiation.

Remind me, who was the last player from a top 2 division club to do this? Rather than, you know, just whittling his contract down.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 15 May 2018 10:11

Edwards hasn't been totally horrific...

He hit bad form and started costing us points towards the end of the season, was rightly dropped, and then we promptly lost 3-0 and 4-0 to Wednesday and Ipswich. Did fine against Cardiff and earlier on in the season he scored some goals and did okay.

I'm not saying he's a world-beater, but he's a okay backup option.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 15 May 2018 10:18

Hendo
Old Man Andrews

*Player

Remind me, who was the last player from a top 2 division club to do this? Rather than, you know, just whittling his contract down.

Top 2 divisions do not tend to do it so much due to the players wages being so high. If you have a look down the leagues you'll see it more often. Point with Edwards is he knows he isn't getting younger and he will have a fair idea he won't be anywhere near first choice next season. The sort of guy he appears to be from the outside is someone who wants to play football and isn't in the game for the money.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 15 May 2018 10:20

Old Man Andrews
Hendo
Old Man Andrews
*Player

Top 2 divisions do not tend to do it so much due to the players wages being so high. If you have a look down the leagues you'll see it more often. Point with Edwards is he knows he isn't getting younger and he will have a fair idea he won't be anywhere near first choice next season. The sort of guy he appears to be from the outside is someone who wants to play football and isn't in the game for the money.

Ah right, so it is very common in football, but not in the top two divisions, which is where we happen to be playing. Gotcha.

Theroyalbox
Hob Nob Regular

by Theroyalbox » 15 May 2018 10:21

Old Man Andrews
Hendo
Old Man Andrews
*Player

Happened with Jese's loan deal at Stoke this year

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 15 May 2018 10:24

Theroyalbox
Old Man Andrews
Hendo

Is Edwards on loan then? Must've missed that :!:

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 15 May 2018 10:35

So basically Old Man Andrews is talking absolute bollox ... Edwards is in his early 30s, he's hardly going to agree to anything less than his full contract, unless he knows he can find another contract elsewhere ... and anyway the club would be seriously mad to pay off the wages of a player who has featured in most games last season.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 15 May 2018 10:35

Hendo
Old Man Andrews
Hendo

Ah right, so it is very common in football, but not in the top two divisions, which is where we happen to be playing. Gotcha.

Yes because of the high wages. Not rocket science is it? Do you need some pictures to accompany the words? Will that help you get your head round it? Mutal terminations happen in football was the general point made, I didn't make reference to divisions.

Dave Edwards is not going to be on masses of money per week is he? Even if it is 20k a week we wouldn't have to pay all of that under a mutual termination. It all depends on his ambitions and how keen he is for first team football. My point is he doesn't seem the type to be happy not playing so it is worth the club at least offering the mutual termination. Not sure what is so unbelieveable about that.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 15 May 2018 10:37

Royalwaster So basically Old Man Andrews is talking absolute bollox ... Edwards is in his early 30s, he's hardly going to agree to anything less than his full contract, unless he knows he can find another contract elsewhere ... and anyway the club would be seriously mad to pay off the wages of a player who has featured in most games last season.

How is it bollocks? Mutual terminations are a part of football and have been for a long time.

You've literally just said he would take a mutal agreement too and explained a circumstance that isn't beyond the realms of possibility you thick tw*t.

Double d v2

by Double d v2 » 15 May 2018 10:41

Old Man Andrews

*Player

What do you work as? I work in the sports industry too.... chances are we have come across each other?

Also what wages is DE on?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 15 May 2018 10:41

Old Man Andrews
Hendo
Old Man Andrews

Yes because of the high wages. Not rocket science is it? Do you need some pictures to accompany the words? Will that help you get your head round it? Mutal terminations happen in football was the general point made, I didn't make reference to divisions.

Dave Edwards is not going to be on masses of money per week is he? Even if it is 20k a week we wouldn't have to pay all of that under a mutual termination. It all depends on his ambitions and how keen he is for first team football. My point is he doesn't seem the type to be happy not playing so it is worth the club at least offering the mutual termination. Not sure what is so unbelieveable about that.

Chillax m9, I simply asked the question when the last time it happened in the top two divisions (as that is where Reading are playing). If it doesn't happen in those divisions, it isn't really relevant to us/Edwards, thus making it a bit unlikely to happen.

£20k/week = £1,040,000. How much would we have to pay him to mutually terminate his contract then, seeing as you know so much about this?

Double d v2

by Double d v2 » 15 May 2018 10:42

Theroyalbox
Old Man Andrews
Hendo

No he just refused to play and has disappeared from Stoke, whilst still getting payed by his parent club.

So, you know, nothing like this.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 15 May 2018 10:43

Kes-like struggles here from OMA, just don't try any complicated analogies fella

191 posts