CONFIMRED - Dave Edwards

191 posts
Old Man Andrews

Re: CONFIMRED - Dave Edwards

by Old Man Andrews » 15 May 2018 10:48

Double d v2
Old Man Andrews
Royalwaster What are his wages then?

And so you'd be happy to spend a substantial part of our transfer kitty on paying off players?

*Player

You wouldn't need to pay him anywhere near the full amount of his wages. The norm for players of his age and contract length is to sit down with their agents and explain that he is not in the clubs future plans and won't get game time. The two parties come to an arrangement to then cancel the contract and receive a percentage of their remaining wages and then have the luxury of being able to pick and choose their next club. It is very common in football and other team sports. I work in this sort of field so have a reasonable idea on the process of contract breaks/negotiation.

What do you work as? I work in the sports industry too.... chances are we have come across each other?

Also what wages is DE on?

I don't work in the sports industry per se.

hughsies no.1

by hughsies no.1 » 15 May 2018 10:48

He is just a nothing footballer. Every game I have watched him in he has offered nothing and the game just passes him by, recklessly gave away that penalty against QPR which could have sent us down, then that sending off at Villa.

Nice bloke (as everyone keeps on saying), just hasn't worked out for him - has to be moved on.

Next.

Double d v2

by Double d v2 » 15 May 2018 10:50

Old Man Andrews
Double d v2
Old Man Andrews
*Player

You wouldn't need to pay him anywhere near the full amount of his wages. The norm for players of his age and contract length is to sit down with their agents and explain that he is not in the clubs future plans and won't get game time. The two parties come to an arrangement to then cancel the contract and receive a percentage of their remaining wages and then have the luxury of being able to pick and choose their next club. It is very common in football and other team sports. I work in this sort of field so have a reasonable idea on the process of contract breaks/negotiation.

What do you work as? I work in the sports industry too.... chances are we have come across each other?

So you are an estate agent then.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 15 May 2018 10:53

Old Man Andrews
Royalwaster So basically Old Man Andrews is talking absolute bollox ... Edwards is in his early 30s, he's hardly going to agree to anything less than his full contract, unless he knows he can find another contract elsewhere ... and anyway the club would be seriously mad to pay off the wages of a player who has featured in most games last season.

How is it bollocks? Mutual terminations are a part of football and have been for a long time.

You've literally just said he would take a mutal agreement too and explained a circumstance that isn't beyond the realms of possibility you thick tw*t.

Yep but just not in the top 2 divisions. You're a clown man, let's face it. And no, he would not take a mutual agreement unless he's getting close to £1million for each of his remaining years ... and no club would pay that. End of.

The only way this might happen is that we let him go for a free, but agree to pay part of his wages or something like that ... to sweeten the deal.

Anyway, I really don't get what you've got against the lad ... you some kind of homophobe?

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 15 May 2018 10:54

Old Man Andrews
Double d v2
Old Man Andrews
*Player

In other words, he coaches his son's football team ... :D

Theroyalbox
Hob Nob Regular

by Theroyalbox » 15 May 2018 10:55

Royalwaster
Old Man Andrews
Royalwaster So basically Old Man Andrews is talking absolute bollox ... Edwards is in his early 30s, he's hardly going to agree to anything less than his full contract, unless he knows he can find another contract elsewhere ... and anyway the club would be seriously mad to pay off the wages of a player who has featured in most games last season.

How is it bollocks? Mutual terminations are a part of football and have been for a long time.

You've literally just said he would take a mutal agreement too and explained a circumstance that isn't beyond the realms of possibility you thick tw*t.

Yep but just not in the top 2 divisions. You're a clown man, let's face it. And no, he would not take a mutual agreement unless he's getting close to £1million for each of his remaining years ... and no club would pay that. End of.

The only way this might happen is that we let him go for a free, but agree to pay part of his wages or something like that ... to sweeten the deal.

Anyway, I really don't get what you've got against the lad ... you some kind of homophobe?

is Edwards bent?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 15 May 2018 10:56

Hendo
Old Man Andrews
Hendo
Ah right, so it is very common in football, but not in the top two divisions, which is where we happen to be playing. Gotcha.

Yes because of the high wages. Not rocket science is it? Do you need some pictures to accompany the words? Will that help you get your head round it? Mutal terminations happen in football was the general point made, I didn't make reference to divisions.

Dave Edwards is not going to be on masses of money per week is he? Even if it is 20k a week we wouldn't have to pay all of that under a mutual termination. It all depends on his ambitions and how keen he is for first team football. My point is he doesn't seem the type to be happy not playing so it is worth the club at least offering the mutual termination. Not sure what is so unbelieveable about that.

Chillax m9, I simply asked the question when the last time it happened in the top two divisions (as that is where Reading are playing). If it doesn't happen in those divisions, it isn't really relevant to us/Edwards, thus making it a bit unlikely to happen.

£20k/week = £1,040,000. How much would we have to pay him to mutually terminate his contract then, seeing as you know so much about this?

It depends on a number of factors. A scenario could be that Shrewsbury go up to the Championship and want to take Dave Edwards off of our hands. They of course couldn't afford his Reading wages and would be unwilling to pay a transfer fee I'd imagine. Dave would be desperate to leave as they would give him guaranteed first team football and he loves the club. Edwards agent and the club would sit down and come together to find a deal which suited everyone probably buy working out what the difference in the wages are. If Shrewsbury were offering Edwards 10k a week and first team football it would probably be reasonably attractive to him so the mutual termination would relate to some of the shortfall in his weekly wage. The club wouldn't want to go anywhere near paying the 10k difference and would probably offer half of that. You'd then be looking at about 250k to get him off of our books and make an overall saving of 800k.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 15 May 2018 10:57

Theroyalbox
Royalwaster
Old Man Andrews

is Edwards bent?

Isn't he married to a woman and have kids?

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 15 May 2018 10:58

OK fair enough - but first step there is to transfer list him and you need to have someone who wants to take him ... it's not really a mutual termination process, but a free transfer.

Double d v2

by Double d v2 » 15 May 2018 11:02

Royalwaster
Old Man Andrews

you some kind of homophobe?

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 15 May 2018 11:58

Didn't Ashley Cole have his contract terminated a year early at Roma? I know it's not common and in most cases both parties would have to both want it to happen but it's not out of the question that he might accept a settlement that doesn't equal the value of his full contract if he would prefer to continue playing regularly.

All theoretical obviously as I doubt the club want him gone.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 15 May 2018 15:13

hughsies no.1 He is just a nothing footballer. Every game I have watched him in he has offered nothing and the game just passes him by, recklessly gave away that penalty against QPR which could have sent us down, then that sending off at Villa.

Nice bloke (as everyone keeps on saying), just hasn't worked out for him - has to be moved on.

Next.

Says hughsies No 1 . Let me guess, not enough running round like a headless chicken and making up shit goal celebrations for your liking? :wink:

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 15 May 2018 15:14

From Despair To Where?
hughsies no.1 He is just a nothing footballer. Every game I have watched him in he has offered nothing and the game just passes him by, recklessly gave away that penalty against QPR which could have sent us down, then that sending off at Villa.

Next.

Says hughsies No 1 . Let me guess, not enough running round like a headless chicken and making up shit goal celebrations for your liking? :wink:

Don't forget planting crosses into row z.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 15 May 2018 15:14

Theroyalbox
Royalwaster
Old Man Andrews

is Edwards bent?

Is Darren Bent?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 15 May 2018 15:16

Royalwaster
Theroyalbox
Royalwaster

is Edwards bent?

Is Darren Bent?

Darren Hayes from Savage Garden is a gay man yes.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 15 May 2018 15:34

#KesJokes^

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 15 May 2018 15:36

Old Man Andrews Darren Hayes from Savage Garden is a gay man yes.

Good vocalist him

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 May 2018 17:38

Regardless of how common it is, with our huge wage bill, it's pretty clear we can't afford to be paying off players who would need to be replaced just to move them on. Particularly when they're not even in our top 10 worst performers.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 15 May 2018 18:33

Snowflake Royal Regardless of how common it is, with our huge wage bill, it's pretty clear we can't afford to be paying off players who would need to be replaced just to move them on. Particularly when they're not even in our top 10 worst performers.

Spin off thread - Top 10 Worst Players 2017/18

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 16 May 2018 14:25

Next.

So so true

191 posts