Building for next season

478 posts
From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Building for next season

by From Despair To Where? » 12 May 2018 21:10

Ascotexgunner
genome Onuoha released from QPR.

Looked good against us earlier in the season. Absolute tank as well. Worth a go? Wages too high?

I'm sorry, but if he's been released by QPR, there's probably a reason. Probably injury prone or not performing. No thanks, if he ain't good enough for them, he ain't good enough for us.

Or he was on a stupidly huge contract. He did join them in the Premier League so would be one of the last FFP busting signings left.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 13 May 2018 09:28

From Despair To Where?
Ascotexgunner
genome Onuoha released from QPR.

Looked good against us earlier in the season. Absolute tank as well. Worth a go? Wages too high?

I'm sorry, but if he's been released by QPR, there's probably a reason. Probably injury prone or not performing. No thanks, if he ain't good enough for them, he ain't good enough for us.

Or he was on a stupidly huge contract. He did join them in the Premier League so would be one of the last FFP busting signings left.

Only QPR player Reading were allegedly tracking was Idrissa Sylla.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 13 May 2018 09:53

https://www.inyourarea.co.uk/news/cleme ... eading-fc/

Paul Clement says signing players for Reading FC will be far from straightforward this summer.

Royals' manager is expected to be busy with recruitment following an underwhelming 2017/18 campaign for the club which saw them flirt with relegation.

Reading won just 10 Championship games all season and secured survival on the final day to finish in 20th position and three points above the bottom three.

Clement has already admitted he has a huge task on his hands to turn the club around and he says bringing players in will not be easy.

"In football you use all the links you've got whether that's with managers, agents, or players you've worked with before," he said.

"You dip into all the different options to do the best you can. I've got ideas but it can be more difficult to make them a reality because the easier part can be identifying players.

"The tougher part is the recruitment of them - whether they want to come and be a part of what we are doing and whether it works out financially for the club.

"But we'll be working hard to make sure we get some decent additions to the squad."

Clement says he wants to trim the squad and balance it up because some positions are overstocked.

But the former Swansea boss is confident of bringing players in and insists recruiting them will not be hampered by the poor 2017/18 campaign.

"I don't think luring players to Reading will be an issue," he said. "A couple of seasons ago they came so close [to promotion to the Premier League].

"Reading is a really good football club - it's well situated, the stadium is nice and we're moving to a new training ground soon so it's an exciting time to be a part of this club."

Clement only joined Royals in March and guided Royals to just two wins in the final eight games.

The 46-year-old admitted it was very much substance over style in that period but is focused on implementing his philosophy on the team during pre-season.

"We want to do some work on the recruitment side where we’re bringing in the right kind of quality," he said.

"We want to establish an offensive style of play here. There wasn’t time for me to do that in the last eight games.

"It was about shoring up ourselves defensively and grinding out results so we can build on that. That can be our foundation.

"During pre-season hopefully we can work on some offensive football that the fans are really going to enjoy watching [next season]."

I thought Reading had an offensive style of playing already :D

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 May 2018 10:17

Have to agree with NCS, Gunter is way too soft to be a regular at CB. He gets beaten regularly on the back post, doesn't know how to get tight, rarely wins a physical battle, pulls out of challenges...

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 16 May 2018 23:47

NewCorkSeth
leon
NewCorkSeth Lol. Azpilicueta and Monreal have one important quality that Gunter doesn't. They can defend. He can't do it. There were numerous times this season he showed his inability to pick up a man in the box. He can barely defend against one man on a wing.

And yet he’s often making last ditch saving challenges.

If you can get me video proof of him doing that 5 times this season I will change my username to leonsbitch.
The only one I can remember was against Cardiff.

Never mind five times a season it probably happens every other game

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 17 May 2018 08:26

bcubed
NewCorkSeth
leon
And yet he’s often making last ditch saving challenges.

If you can get me video proof of him doing that 5 times this season I will change my username to leonsbitch.

Should be easy to get that video proof then..

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 17 May 2018 08:37

NewCorkSeth
bcubed
NewCorkSeth If you can get me video proof of him doing that 5 times this season I will change my username to leonsbitch.

Just go to some games

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 17 May 2018 08:46

leon
NewCorkSeth
bcubed Never mind five times a season it probably happens every other game

Just go to some games

I live in France.. I have watched every ifollow game though and have consistently found Gunter lacking in basic defensive qualities.

The benefit of ifollow over attending a game is you have instant replay at your finger tips. Which I used to re-watch the many goals we conceded this season. Many of which were, while not directly caused by Gunter, completely preventable if Gunter had shown any sort of defensive resilience.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 17 May 2018 08:48

NewCorkSeth
leon
NewCorkSeth Should be easy to get that video proof then..

Just go to some games

I live in France.. I have watched every ifollow game though and have consistently found Gunter lacking in basic defensive qualities.

The benefit of ifollow over attending a game is you have instant replay at your finger tips. Which I used to re-watch the many goals we conceded this season. Many of which were, while not directly caused by Gunter, completely preventable if Gunter had shown any sort of defensive resilience.

Well have a look at your own video clips then and report back.

Maybe in a few months.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 17 May 2018 08:56

leon
NewCorkSeth
leon
Just go to some games

Well have a look at your own video clips then and report back.

Maybe in a few months.

I would have to be some kind of sadist to re-watch that shite just to find proof of something most people can see is patently false.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 17 May 2018 17:25

NewCorkSeth The benefit of ifollow over attending a game is you have instant replay at your finger tips. Which I used to re-watch the many goals we conceded this season.

The benefit of being at the game is that you have a much bigger picture than that on the screen. It's also what others don't do that matters. Last year there was a lack of cohesion and personal responsibility. Too much shrugging of shoulders and leaving it to somebody else from some individuals. The best teams play as a team. Whether it be in defence or attack.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 17 May 2018 17:28

Lower West
NewCorkSeth The benefit of ifollow over attending a game is you have instant replay at your finger tips. Which I used to re-watch the many goals we conceded this season.

The benefit of being at the game is that you have a much bigger picture than that on the screen. It's also what others don't do that matters. Last year there was a lack of cohesion and personal responsibility. Too much shrugging of shoulders and leaving it to somebody else from some individuals. The best teams play as a team. Whether it be in defence or attack.

And you saw all of that from the Lower West stand?

Dreamer

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 17 May 2018 19:17

If only.................

“I’m just trying to enjoy my time in Atlanta to the fullest. As I’ve said before, my goal is still to get to Europe.”

- Miguel Almirón in today's talk to the media

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8USo1jzEH3Y

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 17 May 2018 19:21

John Smith
Lower West

Dreamer

I have no idea what point he is trying to make. Because I can't see the striker on the screen seeing Gunter stand 5 yards off his man as he crosses the ball into our box is irrelevant?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 17 May 2018 19:21

John Smith
Lower West

Dreamer

I have no idea what point he is trying to make. Because I can't see the striker on the screen seeing Gunter stand 5 yards off his man as he crosses the ball into our box is irrelevant?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 17 May 2018 19:37

RoyalBlue If only.................

“I’m just trying to enjoy my time in Atlanta to the fullest. As I’ve said before, my goal is still to get to Europe.”

Looks far too good to even wish we could have him from that video!

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 17 May 2018 20:16

Gunter does stand off his man too much. However he did make a number of last ditch blocks and tackles last season.

Double d v2

by Double d v2 » 17 May 2018 20:58

Quick? Check
Good left foot? Check
Creative? Check
Young? Check
Eye for goal? Check
Playmaker? Check

Yeah he won't come to us.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 17 May 2018 21:42

NewCorkSeth

Looks far too good to even wish we could have him from that video!

Loool. He’s already on 27k a week, not to mention that he’s far too good for us.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 May 2018 07:31

NewCorkSeth
John Smith
Lower West

Dreamer

It's pretty simple. Live at the game you get a far better view of overall shape, off the ball play and defensive positioning. On screen you get a far better view of individual match incidents all over the pitch and can rewatch the tight calls.

478 posts