The Local Journo Thread

888 posts
RG30
Hob Nob Addict

Re: The Local Journo Thread

by RG30 » 01 Jul 2018 20:27

When Get Reading ceased publishing and went digital only the Chronicle had a great opportunity to capitalise and step up. Sadly the RFC coverage is way short of anything BBC Radio Berkshire and Get Reading publish who cover every pre-season tour, all league and cup games, most of the U23’s and even the U18’s when feasible. Whether that’s due to budget constraints or just the unwillingness from the likes of Anthony Smith and Courtney Friday I don’t know.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 01 Jul 2018 21:37

This thread is gold.

As is the crossover with twitter.

I don't agree with a lot on both sides, but I'm just here for the :lol:

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 02 Jul 2018 09:42

TBH I didn't think this thread was going to be for absolutely everything Courtney Friday says, I thought it would just be for the proper clangers, like Fernando Forestieri-g8, or Yermas Dildo-g8.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 02 Jul 2018 09:50

genome TBH I didn't think this thread was going to be for absolutely everything Courtney Friday says, I thought it would just be for the proper clangers, like Fernando Forestieri-g8, or Yermas Dildo-g8.

It is now, we have changed the rules.

I think it is fair to call him out on completely made up stories though. Not having his bullshit about McNulty being at Hogwood etc. Clubs haven't even agreed a fee yet.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 02 Jul 2018 09:54

Meh, if any journalist starts their tweets with "Understand" or "Told" then it's probably bollocks.

They tend to just rush to Twitter to be first on potential news without corrobor8ing it first.

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 02 Jul 2018 12:29

I genuinely didn’t realise Jonathan Low has had a week off until now. Our local press really is a shambles.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 02 Jul 2018 13:14

TiagoIlori I genuinely didn’t realise Jonathan Low has had a week off until now. Our local press really is a shambles.

Am I missing something here? We're in the middle of a World Cup and it's the start of July - are you expecting there be a crazy news rush on Reading FC or something?

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 02 Jul 2018 13:22

John Smith
TiagoIlori I genuinely didn’t realise Jonathan Low has had a week off until now. Our local press really is a shambles.

Am I missing something here? We're in the middle of a World Cup and it's the start of July - are you expecting there be a crazy news rush on Reading FC or something?

No, it’s just how he knows oxf*rd all to the point that I’m not paying attention to any of the Reading journos. Look down his profile, a toddler could do his job.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 02 Jul 2018 13:28

I feel sorry for journalists these days, it must be such a ruthless, thankless and bleak job.

You have images of journalism being things like, rushing out, chasing some information, interviewing people, drafting up an insightful piece ready for the Monday edition. Getting it in just gone 10pm over a glass of whisky and a ciggy.

In reality it is sitting in an office churning out the same articles repeatedly, where half the content is actually links to similar stories, adverts, a google street view image and a screenshot from twitter.

The same articles that GR seem to have are:

10 best burgers in town
Old pubs you've probably forgotten about
10 signs you are from Reading
The cow bridge xxxxxx
The third bridge xxxxxx
Reading Festival
Reading buses xxxxx
Ikea traffic jams

Also LOL that The Oracle won the best Cultural space for Reading.

Today's headline feature article is from Hugh Fort and is entitled "Can you fry an egg on a car bonnet" (ANSWER: no as when he cracked it onto the bonnet it slid off) ... (I sh*t you not)

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 02 Jul 2018 13:28

TiagoIlori No, it’s just how he knows oxf*rd all to the point that I’m not paying attention to any of the Reading journos. Look down his profile, a toddler could do his job.

Are you 16?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 02 Jul 2018 13:33

TiagoIlori
John Smith

No, it’s just how he knows oxf*rd all to the point that I’m not paying attention to any of the Reading journos. Look down his profile, a toddler could do his job.

A toddler will be given about the same as Jonathan Low has to work with.

I think Charles Watts has to share a bit of the blame for Low's poor start. Clearly the guy was well connected at the club but seemingly he didn't get Jonathan Low connected before he left (his stuff for Arsenal is really poor btw, bordering on desperate) and therefore Jonathan had to start from scratch. If you've ever listened to the guy on a podcast you'll realise he is a bit of a wet blanket too which won't help him sports media.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Jul 2018 13:48

agree it seemed that CW didn't handover well to JLow. Obvs don't know the details, but did feel Low was very much left to it to try to work things out for himself. His first few months were really weak, something he has clearly improved on.

CW stuff for Arsenal still looked pretty good on the few times I looked. Have to bear in mind the target audience - it's not going to be massively thought provoking reading.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 02 Jul 2018 13:51

Hound agree it seemed that CW didn't handover well to JLow. Obvs don't know the details, but did feel Low was very much left to it to try to work things out for himself. His first few months were really weak, something he has clearly improved on.

CW stuff for Arsenal still looked pretty good on the few times I looked. Have to bear in mind the target audience - it's not going to be massively thought provoking reading.

My mate Troopz is a huge Arsenal fan and I asked him about Charles Watts, he said "Look blud, yea, you get me init, you understand fam, enough is enough blud, alright fam?"

Insightful and quite thought provoking

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 03 Jul 2018 11:00

Woah everyone, hold the phone! Have a Twitter search of @MBrowneJourno......

Reading fan who has found a tie and taken a selfie of him wearing it = Journalist

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Jul 2018 12:21

hmm, lets see if there is anything in his posts - Shane Long, McNulty chase over, Joey to Utrecht...

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 03 Jul 2018 13:08

Hound hmm, lets see if there is anything in his posts - Shane Long, McNulty chase over, Joey to Utrecht...

Clearly a kid with too much time on his hands.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 04 Jul 2018 11:19

John Smith It should be easier for people to create accounts on here. The admin process is ridiculous and would allow for way more people to come on a contribute.

And also easy for Russian spammers.
Which is why we are where we are.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 04 Jul 2018 11:31

Platypuss
John Smith It should be easier for people to create accounts on here. The admin process is ridiculous and would allow for way more people to come on a contribute.

Anton's gone now mate.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 04 Jul 2018 12:46

Platypuss

don't you just set up a new user name and then start posting?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 04 Jul 2018 13:20

Platypuss

I have an alt account that got verified (I had 2 or 3 comments accepted on an ae thread) but when I signed back into it to make what I'm certain was a witty joke the account had become de-verified again. Shame that. I had many gags lined up.

888 posts