Summer Transfers

567 posts
CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Summer Transfers

by CountryRoyal » 10 Jul 2018 17:53

Hound Think our wing options look useful - Barrow plus one of Meite, Popa or Harriott.

I honestly think as long as we have a decent striker lined up we look in pretty good shape and have options in all positions.

I think we’re some way off. Put it this way, it will be some managerial effort to turn the majority of last year’s mess into a promotion chasing team.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 10 Jul 2018 18:05

When I say in good shape, I mean for a better season - maybe Top half

I don’t think we’ll be battling down the bottom again, though that does depend on the striker we bring in

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 10 Jul 2018 18:51

Hound Think our wing options look useful - Barrow plus one of Meite, Popa or Harriott.

I honestly think as long as we have a decent striker lined up we look in pretty good shape and have options in all positions.

Barrow for sure is a good player to have on the books but McCleary and Harriott have both spent a lot of time injured, Popa has been far from convincing, Aluko hasn't lived up to the expectation of a free transfer let alone a record fee and Meite is postionally vague.. is he a striker? Is he a winger? Nobody knows.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 10 Jul 2018 18:53

Out of interest are people expecting us yo play with 2 up front this season?

Currently we have JDB and new signing McNulty as our forward options but on paper both Barrow and Meite can play there. If we sign another striker are we even going to play McNulty?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 10 Jul 2018 19:30

I’d expect McNulty to start the season on the bench. Barrow and new striker if we play 2 up, new striker + Barrow and Popa or Meite if we play 3

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 10 Jul 2018 19:31

Actually sadly it will prob be Aluko if we play 3. Trying really hard to forget him, almost did

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 10 Jul 2018 19:32

NewCorkSeth Out of interest are people expecting us yo play with 2 up front this season?

Currently we have JDB and new signing McNulty as our forward options but on paper both Barrow and Meite can play there. If we sign another striker are we even going to play McNulty?

I would prefer two up front but I’m not sure we can afford to play without a CDM so expect a 4/5/1formation.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 10 Jul 2018 19:52

On paper you could play 4-42 if you played Meyler and Bacuna maybe in CM

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 10 Jul 2018 21:06

CountryRoyal

I think we’re some way off. Put it this way, it will be some managerial effort to turn the majority of last year’s mess into a promotion chasing team.

Anything can happen though. After all there wasn't a huge pile of difference between last year's shambles and the previous year's play off team

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 10 Jul 2018 21:07

muirinho
CountryRoyal

Anything can happen though. After all there wasn't a huge pile of difference between last year's shambles and the previous year's play off team

I agree except the for the fact that by and large the performances in the play off season weren’t too dissimilar to last years.

Like you said though, anything can happen I suppose.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 10 Jul 2018 21:41

Hound On paper you could play 4-42 if you played Meyler and Bacuna maybe in CM

You wouldn’t have much creativity through the middle though.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 10 Jul 2018 21:46

Zip

4-4-2 isn't the best formation if you want to play through the middle though, and if you want to have CM with enough creativity to do that whilst holding the midfield then you're looking at world class players, or a reliance on the rest of the team being significantly better than opposition.

Neither of which we have! :P

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 10 Jul 2018 21:48

Zip

Nope. You’d be relying on getting it out wide and crosses in.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Jul 2018 21:54

Hound
Zip

Nope. You’d be relying on getting it out wide and crosses in.

Very much in a McDermott promotion tactic with two players sitting spoiling, capitalising on opposition mistakes and getting it forward and wide quickly.

Don't really like the style, but it can certainly be effective to a point if you can get it right. I really don't think there's much chance of Clement going that way though. 4-5-1 / 3-5-2 / 4-3-3 by far our most likely shapes IMO.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 11 Jul 2018 00:59

I honestly think options isn't the worry for people; it's the quality and drive for 46 games.

Meite, Popa and Harriott all have strengthes, but they've barely kicked a ball in the championship between them.

This is a very good division and we really do need an overhaul after 1 win in 19 last year. Let's not forget that.

We could barely muster a shot on target. McNulty isn't going to change that; we really need to mix up / move on the creative players of this team imo.

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 11 Jul 2018 06:58

Doubt we could get away with fielding 46 players though.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 Jul 2018 07:11

72 bus

Doubt we could get away with fielding 46 players though.

We could have done so and still lost we were that shit last year

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 11 Jul 2018 11:05

Hound Actually sadly it will prob be Aluko if we play 3. Trying really hard to forget him, almost did

What if...in the same way that Vydra, Grabban, even Piazon to an extent have gone on to be better elsewhere when used 'properly', Clement has an idea for a new system that gets the best out of Aluko. Afterall he was hardly a bad player at Fulham and Hull. One to ponder maybe.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 Jul 2018 11:15

John Smith
Hound Actually sadly it will prob be Aluko if we play 3. Trying really hard to forget him, almost did

What if...in the same way that Vydra, Grabban, even Piazon to an extent have gone on to be better elsewhere when used 'properly', Clement has an idea for a new system that gets the best out of Aluko. Afterall he was hardly a bad player at Fulham and Hull. One to ponder maybe.

its a fair point. I just don't see how you do 'use him properly'. I think he just isn't very good.

Some chap posted an analysis on here recently, and it pretty much showed stats wise that last season was by no means an outlier for him.

The real problem is what is he? He isn't a winger as he keeps coming inside, he certainly isn't a CM, he is too defensively weak to be a wide midfielder, and too small and weak to be a CF. A number 10? possibly, but I'd rather about 5 or 6 other players ahead of him in that position.

In terms of those other players, Piazon has done about the same, just in a better side, Grabban was obviously played out of position by Stam, and did ok as a CF when played there, and Vydra was clearly a good player, just his confidence completely went after missing a load of sitters

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 11 Jul 2018 11:53

Hound
John Smith

its a fair point. I just don't see how you do 'use him properly'. I think he just isn't very good.

Some chap posted an analysis on here recently, and it pretty much showed stats wise that last season was by no means an outlier for him.

The real problem is what is he? He isn't a winger as he keeps coming inside, he certainly isn't a CM, he is too defensively weak to be a wide midfielder, and too small and weak to be a CF. A number 10? possibly, but I'd rather about 5 or 6 other players ahead of him in that position.

In terms of those other players, Piazon has done about the same, just in a better side, Grabban was obviously played out of position by Stam, and did ok as a CF when played there, and Vydra was clearly a good player, just his confidence completely went after missing a load of sitters

we have not tried him at wing back yet, others have excelled their when they were better suited earlier in there career as a winger (Young and Moses prime example)

would love to see tried even if it fails out of current team

----------------------------------Mannone
--------------Mcshane---------Moore------------ Llori

Yiadom-------------------------Meyler----------------------Aluko

---------------------------------Kelly/Swift

------------------------------------------------ Barrow
-----------------------------------Mcnulty

567 posts