The Local Journo Thread

888 posts
WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

Re: The Local Journo Thread

by WoodleyRoyal » 05 Jul 2018 10:58

NewCorkSeth
Platypuss
John Smith It should be easier for people to create accounts on here. The admin process is ridiculous and would allow for way more people to come on a contribute.

And also easy for Russian spammers.
Which is why we are where we are.

I have an alt account that got verified (I had 2 or 3 comments accepted on an ae thread) but when I signed back into it to make what I'm certain was a witty joke the account had become de-verified again. Shame that. I had many gags lined up.

Hi Double D :!:

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 07 Jul 2018 11:12

bobby1413 I feel sorry for journalists these days, it must be such a ruthless, thankless and bleak job.

You have images of journalism being things like, rushing out, chasing some information, interviewing people, drafting up an insightful piece ready for the Monday edition. Getting it in just gone 10pm over a glass of whisky and a ciggy.

In reality it is sitting in an office churning out the same articles repeatedly, where half the content is actually links to similar stories, adverts, a google street view image and a screenshot from twitter.

The same articles that GR seem to have are:

10 best burgers in town
Old pubs you've probably forgotten about
10 signs you are from Reading
The cow bridge xxxxxx
The third bridge xxxxxx
Reading Festival
Reading buses xxxxx
Ikea traffic jams

Also LOL that The Oracle won the best Cultural space for Reading.

Today's headline feature article is from Hugh Fort and is entitled "Can you fry an egg on a car bonnet" (ANSWER: no as when he cracked it onto the bonnet it slid off) ... (I sh*t you not)

Pretty much this.

With no actual paper to sell it's all based on ads and ad revenue is based on clicks. Sure, time spent per page helps but cold hard clicks get the cash (and are often easier to churn out).

I've said similar on here before but unless you're actively paying for a product I don't know how you can expect great quality. It would be like looking for professional plumbing advice online and then getting riled up over the fact you weren't getting a full service for free.

Yes, you indirectly contribute to GR, Chronicle etc by visiting the site, however your individual click is worth absolute pittance, especially if you don't click on the ads or watch full videos etc.

Could the quality of local journalism be improved? Absolutely. Is it likely to do so while this funding model exists? Very unlikely.

The best you can hope for is a hungry young journalist with limited financial worries on the way up, or an experienced pro on the way down looking for a part time gig.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 08 Jul 2018 00:49

Wimb
bobby1413 I feel sorry for journalists these days, it must be such a ruthless, thankless and bleak job.

You have images of journalism being things like, rushing out, chasing some information, interviewing people, drafting up an insightful piece ready for the Monday edition. Getting it in just gone 10pm over a glass of whisky and a ciggy.

In reality it is sitting in an office churning out the same articles repeatedly, where half the content is actually links to similar stories, adverts, a google street view image and a screenshot from twitter.

The same articles that GR seem to have are:

10 best burgers in town
Old pubs you've probably forgotten about
10 signs you are from Reading
The cow bridge xxxxxx
The third bridge xxxxxx
Reading Festival
Reading buses xxxxx
Ikea traffic jams

Also LOL that The Oracle won the best Cultural space for Reading.

Today's headline feature article is from Hugh Fort and is entitled "Can you fry an egg on a car bonnet" (ANSWER: no as when he cracked it onto the bonnet it slid off) ... (I sh*t you not)

Pretty much this.

With no actual paper to sell it's all based on ads and ad revenue is based on clicks. Sure, time spent per page helps but cold hard clicks get the cash (and are often easier to churn out).

I've said similar on here before but unless you're actively paying for a product I don't know how you can expect great quality. It would be like looking for professional plumbing advice online and then getting riled up over the fact you weren't getting a full service for free.

Yes, you indirectly contribute to GR, Chronicle etc by visiting the site, however your individual click is worth absolute pittance, especially if you don't click on the ads or watch full videos etc.

Could the quality of local journalism be improved? Absolutely. Is it likely to do so while this funding model exists? Very unlikely.

The best you can hope for is a hungry young journalist with limited financial worries on the way up, or an experienced pro on the way down looking for a part time gig.

Well fcuking quite.

It’s the internet get it for free but demand quality and this is unacceptable model.

Get used to it pricks.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 09 Jul 2018 06:41

leon
Well fcuking quite.

It’s the internet get it for free but demand quality and this is unacceptable model.

Get used to it pricks.

:lol: On the plus side, I have noticed a very slow shift towards people who will actually back a project even if they don't have to. When I was running TTE, a slowly increasing number of readers/listeners began to chip in via crowd funding.

The model to go down now to ensure quality over quantity would seem to be super-serving your hardcore audience. Going hard for the 5,000 die hard fans, rather than luring in 50,000 for free. I know the Liverpool Echo tried something along those lines with 'Anfield Extra' but that seems to have flopped, which is a shame.

What's disappointing is that realistically if a site like TTE or even GR had 10,000 readers all paying £2 month, you'd have a situation where you could employ people at a good rate and do some 'proper' original journalism and have the time to build up sources, arrange interviews and all that jazz.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 09 Jul 2018 07:58

Wimb What's disappointing is that realistically if a site like TTE or even GR had 10,000 readers all paying £2 month, you'd have a situation where you could employ people at a good rate and do some 'proper' original journalism and have the time to build up sources, arrange interviews and all that jazz.

True 'dat.

Unfortunately, all the jumped up 16 year olds on Twatter would not agree, and believe it is their birth right to have breaking news from deep within the club on a continual basis. They would also just spout of 140 characters of pure drivel about how we're going down based on half a game's performance at Eastleigh.

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 09 Jul 2018 15:12

bobby1413
Wimb What's disappointing is that realistically if a site like TTE or even GR had 10,000 readers all paying £2 month, you'd have a situation where you could employ people at a good rate and do some 'proper' original journalism and have the time to build up sources, arrange interviews and all that jazz.

True 'dat.

Unfortunately, all the jumped up 16 year olds on Twatter would not agree, and believe it is their birth right to have breaking news from deep within the club on a continual basis. They would also just spout of 140 characters of pure drivel about how we're going down based on half a game's performance at Eastleigh.

Careful mate. Don't upset the Snowflakes...

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Jul 2018 18:58

Maneki Neko
Platypuss
John Smith It should be easier for people to create accounts on here. The admin process is ridiculous and would allow for way more people to come on a contribute.

And also easy for Russian spammers.
Which is why we are where we are.

don't you just set up a new user name and then start posting?

No, your first ten posts have to be approved by a mod these days.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 12 Jul 2018 10:53

i quite like JLow's new site - the championshipnews.co.uk

does a good job of rounding up local articles etc

russyb

by russyb » 12 Jul 2018 12:00

Hound i quite like JLow's new site - the championshipnews.co.uk

what a horrible looking site!

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 12 Jul 2018 12:28

russyb

Hi Courtney.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 12 Jul 2018 12:51

russyb

yeah it looks horrible, but to be honest wasn't visiting it to be wowed by the user interface

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 12 Jul 2018 17:37

russyb

I actually quite like it. It's far cleaner than many others. No adverts, just a tiled view of news stories. Similar to an RSS feed. Quick glance to see the latest stories.
P

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 17 Jul 2018 13:31

Another signing missed by the local press. They have been missing things left, right and centre recently.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 17 Jul 2018 13:31

Old Man Andrews Another signing missed by the local press. They have been missing things left, right and centre recently.

Like the team.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 17 Jul 2018 13:32

muirinho
Old Man Andrews Another signing missed by the local press. They have been missing things left, right and centre recently.

Like the team.

I am not totally sure we even have shots these days tbh.

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 17 Jul 2018 22:37

bobby1413
TiagoIlori No, it’s just how he knows oxf*rd all to the point that I’m not paying attention to any of the Reading journos. Look down his profile, a toddler could do his job.

Are you 16?

Nah mate, you?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 18 Jul 2018 14:11

see JLows getting his stuff on at that football.london site that Charles Watts disappeared over

Seems Reading have their own page, despite clearly not being in London.

https://www.football.london/reading-fc/

Mike Hunt
Hob Nob Regular

by Mike Hunt » 19 Jul 2018 00:10

Hound see JLows getting his stuff on at that football.london site that Charles Watts disappeared over

Seems Reading have their own page, despite clearly not being in London.

https://www.football.london/reading-fc/

I wonder if he gets paid as a freelancer for this site and the championship news site as well, or getreading are in on the deal...

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Jul 2018 07:08

It’s all the same company I think

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 19 Jul 2018 13:53

Courtney "Courts" Friday adament that Jem Karacan will not be signing for Oxford because he is Reading through and through. Says it is "highly unlikely".

Cannot wait for this one to come back to bite him, will be glorious.

888 posts