Rumour: Jaakkola to Rotherham

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Rumour: Jaakkola to Rotherham

by Stranded » 21 Jul 2018 20:43

Deal looking likely according to some random "journo" on Twitter.

If it is true, would suggest we either have someone coming in, Krul?, or we are confident one of the younger keepers is ready to step up.

Ranty McRantface

Re: Rumour: Jaakkola to Rotherham

by Ranty McRantface » 21 Jul 2018 20:50

If this is true we'll probably get Krul in. Clement doesn't trust academy players and you will see that as he loans more them out. I guarantee we will see Smith, Rinomhota, Richards, Axel, Loader, McIntyre and a couple others get farmed out soon.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 22 Jul 2018 07:17

Jaakola is the worst keeper to play for Reading in many a year, doesn’t have it what it takes and never will. Not comfortable with him even as a back up so this is positive news.

Jesus I came across all John Smithy there. :lol:

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 22 Jul 2018 11:58

Fake account

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Jul 2018 12:11

I still think there's a decent keeper in Jaakkola provided you don't ask him to play like an outfielder, let him kick long and stop playing him into trouble.

If ever there was someone who looked totally ill at ease with what Stam asked him to do it was Annsi. His game seemed to fall apart as a result.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 22 Jul 2018 13:07

Snowflake Royal I still think there's a decent keeper in Jaakkola provided you don't ask him to play like an outfielder, let him kick long and stop playing him into trouble.

If ever there was someone who looked totally ill at ease with what Stam asked him to do it was Annsi. His game seemed to fall apart as a result.

It's not 1955, goalkeepers are an essential part of the build up play in the modern era and have to be at ease receiving the ball.

So I take it his complete inability to deal with crosses effectively at his height is excusable too?

Ranty McRantface

by Ranty McRantface » 22 Jul 2018 13:17

CountryRoyal Jaakola is the worst keeper to play for Reading in many a year, doesn’t have it what it takes and never will. Not comfortable with him even as a back up so this is positive news.

Worse than Simon Shephard and Van Der Kwakk?!

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Jul 2018 13:54

Old Man Andrews
Snowflake Royal I still think there's a decent keeper in Jaakkola provided you don't ask him to play like an outfielder, let him kick long and stop playing him into trouble.

It's not 1955, goalkeepers are an essential part of the build up play in the modern era and have to be at ease receiving the ball.

So I take it his complete inability to deal with crosses effectively at his height is excusable too?

Funny, because most teams I've seen don't ask their keeper to act as a sweeper under close pressure with hospital passes.

Claiming crosses has a large element of confidence to it. If you're nervy and uncomfortable you're going to flap. Did you miss the part where I said his whole game fell apart as a consequence?

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 22 Jul 2018 13:56

Slightly off-topic but when Stam was appointed there was a rumour that the players who came in immediately after (Jaakkola , JVdB) all had the same agent as Stam and the rumour was that they were signed as a makeweight to the agent to get Stam in.

Interesting that a) those players are some way below Championship standard and b) they all seem to be leaving after Stam left. Which you could argue supports that rumour

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 22 Jul 2018 14:20

That would likely have been the goalkeepers coach, no?

What were they supposed to do anyway? 'Lads, the reserve keeper is playing today, so we've got to change our whole system and style of play today. Anssi is going to be punting it long and high in the air up to Bod all day long today.'

Have we had managers who messed up a keeper before? It's Sunday and i'm drawing a blank.

Tell ya what, for a young, rookie, foreign, first time manager, his tentacles were far reaching. No part of the club was left untouched, and it seems his sphere of influence in his very short time here will be indelibly etched on the club for the next hundred years.

But yeah, Jaakkola is likely playing in the wrong era, and if he can't adapt then at his age he should maybe be looking for a different profession.
Last edited by Denver Royal on 22 Jul 2018 14:36, edited 2 times in total.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 22 Jul 2018 14:25

Ranty McRantface
CountryRoyal Jaakola is the worst keeper to play for Reading in many a year, doesn’t have it what it takes and never will. Not comfortable with him even as a back up so this is positive news.

Worse than Simon Shephard and Van Der Kwakk?!

Don’t know, before my time. Even if not 18-22 years ago is what I’d consider over many a year.

We’re they utter trash? Give me some comparison or context her e :lol:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Jul 2018 14:27

Denver Royal

That would likely have been the goalkeepers coach, no?

What were they supposed to do anyway? 'Lads, the reserve keeper is playing today, so we've got to change our our whole system of play today'.

Have we ever had managers who messed up a keeper before? Its Sunday and i'm drawing a blank.

Tell ya what, for a young, rookie, foreign, first time manager, his tentacles were far reaching. No part of the club was left untouched, and it seems his sphere of influence in his very short time here is indelibly etched on the club for the next hundred years.

But yeah, Jaakkola is likely playing in the wrong era, and at his age he should maybe be looking for a different job.

The manager sets out how to play the goalkeeping coach trains towards that. They have nothing to do with telling the defence to constantly put the keeper under pressure, in a way that highlights his weaknesses.

Yes we absolutely should have changed the way we played in that respect, not for Jaakkola, but because it was an absolute abomination of a failure in the first place.

Playing out from the back is not what we were doing, because there was very little 'out' as part of it. We were simply playing AT the back.

The sooner football managers get out of the current fad of asking centrebacks and goalkeepers to be playmakers first and defenders and keepers distant second, the better. Same for asking fullbacks to be wingers and not worry about defending.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 22 Jul 2018 14:30

Snowflake Royal
Old Man Andrews

Funny, because most teams I've seen don't ask their keeper to act as a sweeper under close pressure with hospital passes.

Claiming crosses has a large element of confidence to it. If you're nervy and uncomfortable you're going to flap. Did you miss the part where I said his whole game fell apart as a consequence?

He was never comfortable on crosses and never will be because he isn't very good.

Modern day goalkeepers are expected to play as sweepers who can deal with any ball that is played to them and a lot of teams do this. Try and keep up with the modern day game.

You know you're wrong so just admit that instead of trying to argue your extremely dumb point.

Cheers.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 22 Jul 2018 14:57

The sooner football managers get out of the current fad of asking centrebacks and goalkeepers to be playmakers first and defenders and keepers distant second, the better. Same for asking fullbacks to be wingers and not worry about defending.

Sounds like Clement wants to get rid of Jaakkola?

Beckenbauer was a playmaker back in '66?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Jul 2018 16:26

Denver Royal

Beckenbauer started as a midfielder. Also I don't think picking one of the greatest players ever as an example of why a defender can be a playmaker is much of a starter seeing as most players who will ever play aren't up to his standard. There's nothing wrong with expecting a defender to be able to bring the ball forward when necessary and play a decent pass, just don't expect them to run the game and create your attacks.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 22 Jul 2018 18:21

Rio Ferdinand was a good footballing CB, as was Woodgate. So was Allan Hansen in the 80’s. At the recent World Cup, Harry Maguire was breaking forward and passing to good effect. I doubt Southgate expected him to ‘run the game’ and be a ‘playmaker’, though. Which manager’s are expecting this?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 22 Jul 2018 18:32

Snowflake Royal
Denver Royal

Beckenbauer started as a midfielder. Also I don't think picking one of the greatest players ever as an example of why a defender can be a playmaker is much of a starter seeing as most players who will ever play aren't up to his standard. There's nothing wrong with expecting a defender to be able to bring the ball forward when necessary and play a decent pass, just don't expect them to run the game and create your attacks.

Best defender Reading had for that was Darius Wdowczyk

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Jul 2018 19:30

Sutekh
Snowflake Royal
Denver Royal

Best defender Reading had for that was Darius Wdowczyk

Yep, great player of the ball.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 22 Jul 2018 19:35

Considering the backpass rule was changed 25+ years ago, I don't think it's too much to expect a modern keeper to control a reasonable back pass and play the ball back out without much difficulty.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 22 Jul 2018 19:51

From Despair To Where? Considering the backpass rule was changed 25+ years ago, I don't think it's too much to expect a modern keeper to control a reasonable back pass and play the ball back out without much difficulty.

Sadly I think Ian is stuck in that time period judging by his general views and attitude.