Summer Transfers

567 posts
John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Summer Transfers

by John Smith » 20 Jul 2018 11:21

Coppells Lost Coat I see the squad potential this season as an unknown quantity. It all went tits up very quickly last season and we never really got any momentum or clicked as team.
This season if Clement gets it right, inherited a squad which tbh I thought would compete for play offs and he's added some grit, whilst retaining key players. Having Popa and Meite coming back from loans does actually feel like signings.
He has also freshened up the RB position and up front, we have improved massively. Last season we had for most of it just Bod as our only CF option - we now have Mcnulty and possibly Baldock. Dare I say it, but relatively positive about our summer business. Nothing special has happened and no marquee signings but we have strengthened from last season.

You've literally stated the obvious and then sat on the fence. Pointless post. Pointless member of the forum.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 20 Jul 2018 13:13

John Smith
Coppells Lost Coat I see the squad potential this season as an unknown quantity. It all went tits up very quickly last season and we never really got any momentum or clicked as team.
This season if Clement gets it right, inherited a squad which tbh I thought would compete for play offs and he's added some grit, whilst retaining key players. Having Popa and Meite coming back from loans does actually feel like signings.
He has also freshened up the RB position and up front, we have improved massively. Last season we had for most of it just Bod as our only CF option - we now have Mcnulty and possibly Baldock. Dare I say it, but relatively positive about our summer business. Nothing special has happened and no marquee signings but we have strengthened from last season.

You've literally stated the obvious and then sat on the fence. Pointless post. Pointless member of the forum.

Oh geez thanks for your opinion, means so much to me. I hope i can become one of the enlightened members on this forum like you one day. However till that day comes, i will keep posting.
No fence sitting here either, just optimistic of the signings and the approach being made towards the team.

RoyalJones

by RoyalJones » 22 Jul 2018 15:59

Just some quick thoughts re: squad depth, apologies for the poor grammar, literally typing as I'm thinking (players in brackets can play more than one position). This is just my opinion -

GKs: Mannone, Jaakkola, Legg, Ward, Southwood
Mannone was reasonably okay last season, bizarre as to why Jaakkola was given a new contract, would've signed Bond over Jaakkola if I had the choice for the #2 keeper if I had to pick one, would not have signed either though if I had the choice and promoted one of the younger goalkeepers, loan one out and keep the other one + Driscoll for the U23s. Southwood still looks promising, hope he gets his chance sooner rather than later, may need experience at a higher level though before making the jump to the senior team.

CBs: Moore, Ilori, McShane, O’Shea, (Blackett), Holmes, Andresson, Osho
Happy we've kept Moore thus far, Ilori has the ability to be a good defender and strikes me as a confidence player (will need to be carefully man-managed to be a brilliant player which I think he has the potential to be), hope McShane has a better season than last season, could be vital especially if we change our formation and play 5 at the back. I personally wish we should have signed another centre back as opposed to O'Shea, even though he could be okay for experience, however do not want to write him off before he even plays for us, does not look promising though. Holmes, would send Andresson out on another loan to hopefully a League One club so he can make an impact for the senior team next season when he will hopefully be ready.

LBs: Obita, Richards, (Blackett)
We're missing Obita hugely, not convinced fully by Blackett at left back, would probably make Richards our first choice left back at this moment in time even though it's a gamble until Obita returns, probably wouldn't be worth getting in a left back on loan even until January. Yiadom and Gunter can fill in at left back.

RBs: Gunter, Yiadom, (Bacuna), Watson
Sorted in this position at the moment, hope Watson can benefit from his loan and be involved with the first team squad next season.

CDMs: Meyler, Van den Berg, Evans, (Bacuna), Rinomhota
Meyler looks like an upgrade on JVDB, would ship out JVDB but keep Evans, still feel as if he has something to prove. Send Rinomhota out on loan to a League One club if he can't get any playing time, would love to see him succeed with us. Bacuna can offer us energy in the middle.

CMs (Attacking): Swift, Kelly, Edwards, Clement
Swift and Kelly incosistent last season, could be vital as to how we get on this season, hopefully Edwards can pick up form but not hopeful, Pelle Clement looks promising this pre-season but would not rely on him just yet.

LWs: Barrow, Harriott, (Meite)
Barrow was impressive last season, concerned we're too over-reliant on him and he may not be anywhere near as good as last season, hope Harriott is not too badly injured. Meite looks promising this pre-season, but is probably going to be deployed as a striker.

RWs: Aluko, Popa, McCleary
Aluko can't get any worse than last season and backing him to have a better season this term. Hopefully Popa stays because I feel he has a lot to give. Think it might be best for both parties if McCleary moves on, feel sorry for him after his injuries.

STs: Bodvarsson, McNulty, Smith, Loader
Still questions over where McNulty will be suited to our system if we play one up front. Still need at least one more striker, have to be top top quality, but without service, they're not going to be too effective, that's why it's so important to have a consistent high quality centre attacking mid.

Still think we need a central attacking midfielder with Swift's inconsistencies, would not be too against getting a winger in as well with Meite's position change and McCleary, Harriott's injury woes as well as Popa's uncertain future, still think we're missing a centre back close to Moore's quality, will just have to hope Ilori and McShane improve vastly from last season. As mentioned earlier, we need a top quality striker or two still. I think there's still a lot of work we need to do in the transfer window to be fully competitive.

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 23 Jul 2018 18:47

.....well at least Reading Ladies have been proactive in the transfer market ....groundhog day again over the other side..

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Jul 2018 19:25

Groundhog Day of what? We didn’t do this last year and there are 2 weeks left

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 23 Jul 2018 20:49

Snowflake Royal How exactly? Either you're a hot PL academy prospect or you've got years of Championship / equiv experience. If you've got the experience you can't be that young.

You misunderstand Ian. We can sign experienced players. No problem with that. We can also sign one or two PL prospects too though. I’d like to see more of a mix especially as our young Academy players who have made the first team in recent times may not get much of a look in. I can see us fielding gritty, workmanlike, experienced teams which scrap out enough wins to keep us out of danger. It’s ok but not very exciting.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Jul 2018 20:52

Zip
Snowflake Royal How exactly? Either you're a hot PL academy prospect or you've got years of Championship / equiv experience. If you've got the experience you can't be that young.

You misunderstand Ian. We can sign experienced players. No problem with that. We can also sign one or two PL prospects too though. I’d like to see more of a mix especially as our young Academy players who have made the first team in recent times may not get much of a look in. I can see us fielding gritty, workmanlike, experienced teams which scrap out enough wins to keep us out of danger. It’s ok but not very exciting.

Ahh, ok. Obviously in general I agree we should do both. I think this summer is a special case of targeting a particular issue and Clement thinks we've got enough of the young prospect type players for now and need some reliable experience most pressingly.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 23 Jul 2018 21:15

All gone a bit quiet on baldock....
Still would prefer, Wells, hugill. Etc does seem to be a bit tumble weed atm

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Jul 2018 21:40

I’d like us to wrap up the signing of a striker ASAP (Baldock would be fine - don’t know why he gets a bad rap on here - BHA fans seem to really rate him). Still need to rid some of the deadwood before the season starts but less urgent

Think I’m right is saying we can still sell or loan players to European teams in august so wouldn’t be suprised to see a few head Roselare’s way

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 23 Jul 2018 21:42

RoyalJones Just some quick thoughts re: squad depth, apologies for the poor grammar, literally typing as I'm thinking (players in brackets can play more than one position). This is just my opinion -

Mannone was reasonably okay last season, bizarre as to why Jaakkola was given a new contract, would've signed Bond over Jaakkola if I had the choice for the #2 keeper if I had to pick one, would not have signed either though if I had the choice and promoted one of the younger goalkeepers, loan one out and keep the other one + Driscoll for the U23s. Southwood still looks promising, hope he gets his chance sooner rather than later, may need experience at a higher level though before making the jump to the senior team.

Happy we've kept Moore thus far, Ilori has the ability to be a good defender and strikes me as a confidence player (will need to be carefully man-managed to be a brilliant player which I think he has the potential to be), hope McShane has a better season than last season, could be vital especially if we change our formation and play 5 at the back. I personally wish we should have signed another centre back as opposed to O'Shea, even though he could be okay for experience, however do not want to write him off before he even plays for us, does not look promising though. Holmes, would send Andresson out on another loan to hopefully a League One club so he can make an impact for the senior team next season when he will hopefully be ready.

We're missing Obita hugely, not convinced fully by Blackett at left back, would probably make Richards our first choice left back at this moment in time even though it's a gamble until Obita returns, probably wouldn't be worth getting in a left back on loan even until January. Yiadom and Gunter can fill in at left back.

Sorted in this position at the moment, hope Watson can benefit from his loan and be involved with the first team squad next season.

Meyler looks like an upgrade on JVDB, would ship out JVDB but keep Evans, still feel as if he has something to prove. Send Rinomhota out on loan to a League One club if he can't get any playing time, would love to see him succeed with us. Bacuna can offer us energy in the middle.

Swift and Kelly incosistent last season, could be vital as to how we get on this season, hopefully Edwards can pick up form but not hopeful, Pelle Clement looks promising this pre-season but would not rely on him just yet.

Barrow was impressive last season, concerned we're too over-reliant on him and he may not be anywhere near as good as last season, hope Harriott is not too badly injured. Meite looks promising this pre-season, but is probably going to be deployed as a striker.

Aluko can't get any worse than last season and backing him to have a better season this term. Hopefully Popa stays because I feel he has a lot to give. Think it might be best for both parties if McCleary moves on, feel sorry for him after his injuries.

Still questions over where McNulty will be suited to our system if we play one up front. Still need at least one more striker, have to be top top quality, but without service, they're not going to be too effective, that's why it's so important to have a consistent high quality centre attacking mid.

Still think we need a central attacking midfielder with Swift's inconsistencies, would not be too against getting a winger in as well with Meite's position change and McCleary, Harriott's injury woes as well as Popa's uncertain future, still think we're missing a centre back close to Moore's quality, will just have to hope Ilori and McShane improve vastly from last season. As mentioned earlier, we need a top quality striker or two still. I think there's still a lot of work we need to do in the transfer window to be fully competitive.

Pretty much agree with all of that. The squad still looks short on goals at the moment.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 24 Jul 2018 06:00

Apparently we enquired about Liverpool’s Sheyi Ojo (I’d presume on loan).

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 24 Jul 2018 08:26

RoyalJones Just some quick thoughts re: squad depth, apologies for the poor grammar, literally typing as I'm thinking (players in brackets can play more than one position). This is just my opinion -

Suppose Clement is just building from the back. I see a decent defence as more important than a decent forward line.
Last season we were not exactly prolific at getting crosses into the box for a CF to get his head onto it. So if we are playing to our strengths, McNulty could work by running off the shoulder of the CB hoping for through balls or reacting off the 2nd phase of play.
Not holding my breath for a marquee signing, they usually turn out turd anyway.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 24 Jul 2018 10:24

Defence is more important than strikers. Look at how crap France were in the World Cup; they shut out Belgium and hit them on the counter.

That being said, we have one of the worst forward lines in the division bar the promoted clubs. Keeping Moore is crucial but so is getting in a proven goalscorer.

Can't we get David Nugent in?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Jul 2018 10:30

Hopefully not, no

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 24 Jul 2018 10:38

Can now see why we are struggling to get a proven striker in when Ipswich value Waghorn at £10m :shock:

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 24 Jul 2018 14:49

DOYLERSAROYALER Can now see why we are struggling to get a proven striker in when Ipswich value Waghorn at £10m :shock:

Yes and Reading put a £15m tag on Moore. Funny what clubs do to encourage their players to be sold.

Mind you Maddison for £22m has probably helped clubs slap another few £s on all their valuations.

Who Moved The Goalposts?

by Who Moved The Goalposts? » 24 Jul 2018 16:24

Sutekh
DOYLERSAROYALER Can now see why we are struggling to get a proven striker in when Ipswich value Waghorn at £10m :shock:

Yes and Reading put a £15m tag on Moore. Funny what clubs do to encourage their players to be sold.

Mind you Maddison for £22m has probably helped clubs slap another few £s on all their valuations.

It's just bonkers. I keep wishing for the house of cards to fall, but it never seems to. How it hasn't happened is surprising - what with limited income and FFP rules. If Forest don't get promoted this year, they could well be next up to the edge.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 24 Jul 2018 17:13

We've lost our here. Big time.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44945102

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 24 Jul 2018 17:45

John Smith We've lost our here. Big time.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44945102

Agreed...better than what we have up front..which is very little at the moment...

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 24 Jul 2018 17:49

Sutekh

Probably will explain why Maddison wont be moving this summer if thats the value his deluded chairman has put on his head....

..only a matter of time before money will bring down the full deck of cards...thankyou Sky & Co.

567 posts