Relegation

Pandoras Box

Re: Relegation

by Pandoras Box » 29 Jul 2018 13:32

It saddens me to say that there was absolutely nothing different on show yesterday than that dished up for most of last season.
Still the slow, lumbering passes. To get from one side of the pitch to the other the ball has to go to each and every player between who has his three touches before passing on. It’s obvious where it’s going and gets found out every time.
There’s no attack, surprise or creativity and decision making is really poor, especially in midfield.
Of course there are plenty of other teams like us and if we can take some points of them I reckon we’ll end up around 16th.
I think it’s time to accept that we have become one of those bog standard championship teams that the board is happy to simply let survive in this league, there’s certainly no ambition or ability for more.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 29 Jul 2018 15:51

Pandoras Box It saddens me to say that there was absolutely nothing different on show yesterday than that dished up for most of last season.
Still the slow, lumbering passes. To get from one side of the pitch to the other the ball has to go to each and every player between who has his three touches before passing on. It’s obvious where it’s going and gets found out every time.
There’s no attack, surprise or creativity and decision making is really poor, especially in midfield.
Of course there are plenty of other teams like us and if we can take some points of them I reckon we’ll end up around 16th.
I think it’s time to accept that we have become one of those bog standard championship teams that the board is happy to simply let survive in this league, there’s certainly no ambition or ability for more.

That`s actually why Derby got rid of Clement, they didn`t feel his style of play suited them.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 29 Jul 2018 16:23

It's impossible to say how we are going to do at the moment. If we lose Moore and we don't bring in a decent replacement, we could well get relegated.

What I would say is yesterday we played a very strong Palace team and Zaha was absolute quality.

For me we need a better option at left back, a creative attacking mldfielder (Swift isn't the answer) and another striker. Plus a decent replacement for Moore if he goes.

Pandoras Box

by Pandoras Box » 29 Jul 2018 17:35

What I really don’t get in this world of football is, like the World Cup, fast passing and attacking teams invariably won easily. When the likes of Liverpool, Man City etc play fast forward football in the EPL they win easily.
If we play a team like that our defence really struggles, as did the teams in the World Cup.
England against Panama (tbf not a world beater) we played fast flowing and won easily then returned to slow passing to get beaten by Belgium.
Yesterday Zaha was a case in point, we couldn’t deal with it.
When Vokes and Ings were in the Championship they tore most teams a new one.

So why do so many managers and teams carry on with this turgid style of slow, sideways, defensive passing when they must know at best it’s mediocre and hardly sets the world alight?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Jul 2018 18:09

Because that's what you get when you want to play fast attacking football but aren't any good at it.

Pandoras Box

by Pandoras Box » 29 Jul 2018 18:40

How do they know? Has this lot ever tried?
Barrow tried it yesterday and was successful, except that no one else understood and he was left unsupported.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 29 Jul 2018 19:42

QPR are probably sh+ting themselves after that fine. Still think us Rotherham and Bolton. The first few games will be decisive. Start with a couple of losses and we could cave in in the first half of the season. Clement is about as inspiring as a tube of hemaroid creme.

Rax

by Rax » 29 Jul 2018 19:48

I must admit, this is the first season since the Bullivant season that I really fear for us - still if we teach Fwank a lesson on Friday, everything will look rosy in the RFC garden again!

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 29 Jul 2018 20:10

NewCorkSeth Everyone seems to be a little pessimistic right now. Swansea seem to be worse off than us. We'll be fine! Nothing exciting will happen to us this season but we won't be relegated.

Impossible, they have a trendy manager so automatically they are great.

FFT predicted 16th in 2005/06.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 29 Jul 2018 20:29

Rax I must admit, this is the first season since the Bullivant season that I really fear for us - still if we teach Fwank a lesson on Friday, everything will look rosy in the RFC garden again!

I'm not saying we are doomed this year but in regards to Derby, they will obliterate us.

I'm going to day 0-3 Derby

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 29 Jul 2018 20:57

......and Crystal Palace will win the Premiership

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 29 Jul 2018 21:13

I think we will be challenging for a playoff place. The negativity on this board is quite amazing.

We would really benefit from a 'decent' striker but I am not worried for the season ahead.

Whether you like him or not Clement isn't going anywhere, it could be worse, we could be starting this season in league 1.

Come on!!!

Oilroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by Oilroyal » 29 Jul 2018 21:24

Clement has my backing 100%. It'll take a season and a half but if we stick with him we'll go up.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 29 Jul 2018 21:45

SouthDownsRoyal I think we will be challenging for a playoff place. The negativity on this board is quite amazing.

We would really benefit from a 'decent' striker but I am not worried for the season ahead.

I admire the optimism but may I ask what you’re basing this on? Just give me 3 reason why you think we will be challenging for the playoffs.

In fact I’ll settle for just one so long as it isn’t “it’s the championship and anything can happen”.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 29 Jul 2018 23:46

Reading4eva Hope to look back on this thread in May and say how wrong I got it. However I don't think I will be.

Managed to watch the game on a stream. Poor, just poor. Rudderless without a clue. Losing in pre season isn't the be all and end all however you want to see signs that there is some progress, some ideas that need tweaking.

At the moment we look a mess of parts, Barrow the exception. I'm sorry to say it but finishing in 21st this season would be an achievement with a squad so void of ideas

Palace look so much better. Yes they are Premier League however we look like we made them look exceptional.

Shock horror. Established Premier League side Crystal Palace look better than Reading.

Haven't Bournemouth got anyone they can loan us? You must have contacts.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 30 Jul 2018 01:23

While I too had a negative reaction to the heavy defeat to Palace I think to start a relegation thread before the season has even started is pretty pathetic.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 30 Jul 2018 07:52

tidus_mi2 While I too had a negative reaction to the heavy defeat to Palace I think to start a relegation thread before the season has even started is pretty pathetic.

New to the team board?

As long as this negativity doesn't immediately transfer to the stadium and booing in August then think we will be OK this year. Nothing special though. Clement wants 3 more, including Baldock, so assuming Moore goes this week likely the squad will look a bit different come end of August.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 30 Jul 2018 08:32

Stranded
tidus_mi2 While I too had a negative reaction to the heavy defeat to Palace I think to start a relegation thread before the season has even started is pretty pathetic.

New to the team board?

As long as this negativity doesn't immediately transfer to the stadium and booing in August then think we will be OK this year. Nothing special though. Clement wants 3 more, including Baldock, so assuming Moore goes this week likely the squad will look a bit different come end of August.

This negativity will carry on to Derby and if we lose that or put out a yawn worthy performance (which we will as its on TV) we'll be exactly back where we were in January. A fan base more concentrated on moaning and booing rather than backing the team. Mentally, not sure what this would do to the players if it goes back to that.
This transfer window hasn't been all that bad so far. Losing Moore is a massive blow but lets face it, no one is really that surprised. Fortunately CBs are easier to replace than strikers.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 30 Jul 2018 08:43

Coppells Lost Coat
Stranded

New to the team board?

This negativity will carry on to Derby and if we lose that or put out a yawn worthy performance (which we will as its on TV) we'll be exactly back where we were in January. A fan base more concentrated on moaning and booing rather than backing the team. Mentally, not sure what this would do to the players if it goes back to that.
This transfer window hasn't been all that bad so far. Losing Moore is a massive blow but lets face it, no one is really that surprised. Fortunately CBs are easier to replace than strikers.

If you are right, then we are already fcuked - the squads lack of confidence in playing at home was evident last season, playing in front of a negative, hostile crowd again isn't going to see us win regularly.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 30 Jul 2018 08:59

Stranded
Coppells Lost Coat
Stranded
New to the team board?

If you are right, then we are already fcuked - the squads lack of confidence in playing at home was evident last season, playing in front of a negative, hostile crowd again isn't going to see us win regularly.

I am in no way saying that will be true. Just saying in recent years booing is more common than cheering which given the performances, is totally understandable.