BFTG - Weds H

252 posts
3points
Hob Nob Regular

Re: BFTG - Weds H

by 3points » 02 Sep 2018 11:23

the next international window might be the right amount of time to give Clement. I think that’s five more games, most of which are against teams who are mid table at best

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 02 Sep 2018 12:17

Zip
tidus_mi2 What can be said? Both goals were terrible, they got through our defence like it wasn't there and we conceded after half time again, this time right from kick off.

Then we played a bit better but what's the point when already 2-0 down?

Aluko can oxf*rd off, basically playing with ten men, hell, make that nine with how Meyler played, slowed down the play, misplaced passes the lot.

Strikers I feel for a bit as they're getting no service but was it Baldock that missed the clear shot in the first half?

Clement says it takes ten games to know how the season will go but he'll be lucky to make it that far

It was Barrow who missed the chance..well the keeper saved it.
I would give Clement four more games to prove that he can turn things around. If we don’t win any of those games it’s time to sack him.

My feeling is we can’t wait too long to fix this. Clement is not the man for the job but is replacing him just ignoring the fundamental issues?

This squad is stuck in a rut repeating the same mistakes. Something radical needs to happen.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 02 Sep 2018 12:20

I have bored people so many times on here about Gunter so this time I leave it to other posters and BBCRB in being disappointed that the weak Welshman came in to take the place of probably our best player this season.
For this I blame Clement.
I also blame Clement (and his staff) for not bothering to deal with the threat of Barry Bannan who controlled the game-when asked about that by Adie he didn't seem to know what Adie was on about.
I blame Clement (and his staff) for not making sure that the players were raring to go at the start of the second half-something that we have seen so often and witnessed goals being conceded because of it.

I did hope that Clement would bring a freshness to our team and that he would have enough connections in the game to go for better options than the old boys from Hull and an Iranian who has only played the odd game in Russia over the past 3 seasons.

He will really have to earn his money over the next few weeks in energising this lot otherwise he will be sacked.
Others have spoken abour relegation being a good thing as we could rebuild-wasn't that what we hoped when we were relegated from the Premier League?
How depressing this all is.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 02 Sep 2018 12:21

leon
Zip
tidus_mi2 What can be said? Both goals were terrible, they got through our defence like it wasn't there and we conceded after half time again, this time right from kick off.

Then we played a bit better but what's the point when already 2-0 down?

Aluko can oxf*rd off, basically playing with ten men, hell, make that nine with how Meyler played, slowed down the play, misplaced passes the lot.

Strikers I feel for a bit as they're getting no service but was it Baldock that missed the clear shot in the first half?

Clement says it takes ten games to know how the season will go but he'll be lucky to make it that far

It was Barrow who missed the chance..well the keeper saved it.
I would give Clement four more games to prove that he can turn things around. If we don’t win any of those games it’s time to sack him.

My feeling is we can’t wait too long to fix this. Clement is not the man for the job but is replacing him just ignoring the fundamental issues?

This squad is stuck in a rut repeating the same mistakes. Something radical needs to happen.

BT and RG are clearly the problem handing out long expensive contracts like confetti, Bunny and Howe were not everyone`s cup of tea but they ran the club in a sensible and measured way.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 02 Sep 2018 12:39

NewCorkSeth
2 world wars, 1 world cup The positives:

2) we scored a goal from open play. Not too bad. Still only a 1 goal loss. Shows we still do have something about us. We can fight.

It was a corner?

Of course it was you're right. Well then hey at least we scored and it wasn't a pen.

You can probably tell I'm scraping hard on the bottom of the barrel for positives....

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 02 Sep 2018 12:54

CountryRoyal I honestly hate most of the overpaid, underperforming, useless pricks that meander about innefectively.

Aluko in a human form epitomises everything wrong with this club. We need to pay off his contract and get him out.

Gloating - nothing wrong with that. You gave your opinions and if you end up being proven right that's fine, well done. Don't apologise for it. Might prevent people kneejerking against anyone who sticks their neck out to be "in with the crowd" if they know they're going to be called out at some point.

Players- interesting... I'm friends with the brother of a well known championship player (not Reading FC) who says that according to his brother at Reading the problem lies not with the manager or even those above but literally the players themselves. The shit that Reading were producing was according to him purely down to the players. This is interesting coming from a player! Having said that of course with rumours that we are just throwing stupid money at players' wages to join us and choosing these players in the first place of course blame also lies higher up. But yeah I agree we mustn't forget it's the players who are letting us down. Clement certainly has made this clear.

Aluko- a weird one. Perhaps people will refresh my memory but IIRC we didn't think much of Kebe. Fast and skilful allegedly but ended up being lazy, AWOL, lightweight etc .. UNTIL he scored that goal and made that gesture at the fans and then he became deity. Is this possible with Aluko (I mean there must've been something about him) or is he actually just a crap twat?

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 02 Sep 2018 12:59

I'm rather bemused by the faith that some are expressing in Clement to get us out of this mess. I fear it is more said in hope than evidence based.

What has he done either with us or in former positions to suggest that he really does have the ability to get us out of this mess?

BBCRB are already falling into the 'You can't help but like the man because he says it how it is' routine. I'd much rather have a manager who Dellor detests, who evades answering questions but gets us wins!

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 02 Sep 2018 13:09

Any moron that sees relegation as good, or a chance to rebuild is a bloody idiot.

It is nothing other than a complete and utter disaster.

These same morons seem to think it's a one season visit to league one. Not sure why, absolutely no guarantee we would come back up. For 20ish years Reading have been playing in the top two tiers. That has had an immense impact on the clubs stature. It's made us into an established championship team.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 02 Sep 2018 13:13

I don't like Clement at all. Sacking him achieves nothing. It's like cutting your leg off due to having a pain in your arm. It just doesn't help.

Tw@ts on twitter seem to blame him. But these same people also acted like whiny children about McDermotts selections, and man management. His tactics.

They also moaned about Adkins, Clarke and Stam.

I'm sick to death of hearing it. As I've asked repeatedly to those who wanted Adkins, Clarke etc... sacked ... who do you replace him with?

You then have the whole process start again:

- a whole new back room staff
- another 10 games of him working out his 11
- the argument that "it isn't his squad... give him money to get the players"

Then in 25 games we repeat this with the new "manager out" argument.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 02 Sep 2018 13:14

Jagermesiter1871
Pandoras Box Observations.
1. Be it the style or the players’ psyche, the amount of damage Stam has done to this club is unbelievable.

2. To put Gunter (who has played left back many a time) in the spot the more superior Yiadom has made his own recently, puts a serious question mark for me against Clement.
Surely he would have seen, as a lot of us have, that Yiadom has been a revelation and mainstay at right back, why would you decide to replace him? That is just stupidity and a lesson in how to demotivate your staff.

3. Yes, he (we) got the one win against Birmingham in the cup but that is an 18th position team who fielded 11 second team players. Well done.

4. Controversial - but if Kelly wasn’t ‘one of our own’ (yawn) would he even be considered in a championship midfield?

5. Has Mannone ever saved a shot from further than 10 yards out?

Lastly, Why is Blackett a full back? He has great technical skill, brings the ball forward and crosses well.
He’s relatively tall and can tackle - why isn’t he a midfielder?

1 - Completely agreed

2 - I thought Yiadom looked good on the left and Gunter is possibly an improvement on Blackett. Possibly but I can understand why he did it.

3 - meh

4 - No - he's useless. What does he actually offer....

5 - Thought he pulled off a few big saves today.

(

Sheff Weds only had four shots on target, two of which were goals, so he certainly didn't pull off 'a few' big saves. I can't recollect what the other two saves were. Was there a tip over the bar in the first half?

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 02 Sep 2018 13:20

Currently Meite is a League 2 player at best.

Yes, he shows passion, works hard, roughs up defenders etc. but his touch is appalling, his shooting little better and, for a big guy, heading ability average at best. The fact some are pinning their hopes on him and/or rating him as one of our better players demonstrates what a massive mess we are in.

Yesterday, we got the ball in their box quite often but were let down by poor touches, headers, shots from our forwards. Meite was, in my opinion, the biggest culprit,

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 02 Sep 2018 13:44

bobby1413 Any moron that sees relegation as good, or a chance to rebuild is a bloody idiot.

It is nothing other than a complete and utter disaster.

These same morons seem to think it's a one season visit to league one. Not sure why, absolutely no guarantee we would come back up. For 20ish years Reading have been playing in the top two tiers. That has had an immense impact on the clubs stature. It's made us into an established championship team.

I could very feasibly see us do the double drop into League Two. It would just sum us up.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 02 Sep 2018 13:49

Ipshit are winning, so 2 points adrift at the bottom.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 02 Sep 2018 13:57

windermereROYAL Ipshit are winning, so 2 points adrift at the bottom.

Suspect we can get used to footing the table for a while.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 02 Sep 2018 14:23

2 world wars, 1 world cup
NewCorkSeth

2) we scored a goal from open play. Not too bad. Still only a 1 goal loss. Shows we still do have something about us. We can fight.

It was a corner?

Of course it was you're right. Well then hey at least we scored and it wasn't a pen.

You can probably tell I'm scraping hard on the bottom of the barrel for positives....

Someone had to try. The only positive I took from the match was that he didn't take Ilori out of the starting line up.

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 02 Sep 2018 15:06

CountryRoyal True about O’shea but I was more making a point about the changing room character that people said we were bringing him in for and stuff. Not sure how someone who is used to losing week in week out for years could help with that.

Baldock and McNulty have shown some glimpses, but 7 games in and only one has scored and it was a penalty. McNulty is untried at this level (and the one bellow tbf) and Baldock is an average striker who’s never been prolific and has barely played any football in the last year.

I guess I just never really rated Meyler but I was impressed with him against Derby. I even said that he’d been what we were missing in the middle of the park and enabled us to play forward. God that seems like a long time ago. He’s been truly abysmal since then.

When I go through the names of our players it just gets me more and more frustrated, weve been saying it for years and bar an anomalous 16/17 when there seemed to be a bit of team spirit, I’ve never felt more disconnected to the club and the players. They’re our players, we’re supposed to support them and like them, I honestly hate most of the overpaid, underperforming, useless pricks that meander about innefectively.

Aluko in a human form epitomises everything wrong with this club. We need to pay off his contract and get him out.

Another decent post which is spot on, IMHO.

Just misses out on exposing the totally ridiculous love for Meite. Lots of effort and even less quality. He's not really a footballer, is he?

And, despite his totally subjective rantings about Gunter which are so laughable it's painful, Dellor did actually say something of value yesterday - several times: "The real issue is we have lots of very mediocre players."

I actually feel deep sympathy for Clement having to manage - and try to motivate - this shower.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 02 Sep 2018 16:40

1. Still only a 1 goal loss. Shows we still do have something about us. We can fight.

2. Clement had the balls to make a triple substitution and it worked to a degree. Sends a message. Unlike Stam he definitely has the balls to be quite firm with players dropping them if they are shite etc.

3. Gunter on the other hand has been solid, fit and will give us stability. His negativity is down to Stam. He hasn't always been like that. It's Clements' job to get him to play more positively.

1. 1-goal losses show teams/mgrs have us sussed. Coming in, they know one goal can do it. We aren't prolific, they won't have to score 3 or 4 to beat us. Coming in, Wed keeper had faced the most shots in Champ. At home vs very avg team, we had 1 shot in 1st, and 1 in 2nd. If our opponents this season had wanted/needed to score more, they could have.

2. Triple substitutions, and the balls to drop who? McShane? Not sure how much credit he should get for correcting his own selection mistakes.

3. Gunter said Stam was the best manager he had ever played for.

Btw, why constant comparisons with Stam? He was rookie first year foreign mgr only here short time. How/why is that a useful metric for Clement? Only thing Clement is compared with is Stam...and the very worst part of Stam's tenure, ie at the end. Lowest denominator, compare with that. Except, comparing shite with shite is still shite. Nobody compares Clement with Stam's 1st season. Or more relevantly, his current opposing mgrs in Champ.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 02 Sep 2018 17:30

Denver Royal

1. Still only a 1 goal loss. Shows we still do have something about us. We can fight.

2. Clement had the balls to make a triple substitution and it worked to a degree. Sends a message. Unlike Stam he definitely has the balls to be quite firm with players dropping them if they are shite etc.

3. Gunter on the other hand has been solid, fit and will give us stability. His negativity is down to Stam. He hasn't always been like that. It's Clements' job to get him to play more positively.

1. 1-goal losses show teams/mgrs have us sussed. Coming in, they know one goal can do it. We aren't prolific, they won't have to score 3 or 4 to beat us. Coming in, Wed keeper had faced the most shots in Champ. At home vs very avg team, we had 1 shot in 1st, and 1 in 2nd. If our opponents this season had wanted/needed to score more, they could have.

2. Triple substitutions, and the balls to drop who? McShane? Not sure how much credit he should get for correcting his own selection mistakes.

Btw, why constant comparisons with Stam? He was rookie first year foreign mgr only here short time. How/why is that a useful metric for Clement? Only thing Clement is compared with is Stam...and the very worst part of Stam's tenure, ie at the end. Lowest denominator, compare with that. Except, comparing shite with shite is still shite. Nobody compares Clement with Stam's 1st season. Or more relevantly, his current opposing mgrs in Champ.

You're right we shouldn't compare with Stam, which is why I don't. Just blaming Stam for how he's playing nowdays and hopefully Clement will be able to shake that out of him. I'd like to see Gunter on the left and Yiadom on the right until Obita returns. Richards and Blackett for me are too much of a liability. So the positive is that at least Gunter is back in contention.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 02 Sep 2018 17:39

Denver Royal

You're right we shouldn't compare with Stam, which is why I don't. Just blaming Stam for how he's playing nowdays and hopefully Clement will be able to shake that out of him. I'd like to see Gunter on the left and Yiadom on the right until Obita returns. Richards and Blackett for me are too much of a liability. So the positive is that at least Gunter is back in contention.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 02 Sep 2018 17:46

Pandoras Box Be it the style or the players’ psyche, the amount of damage Stam has done to this club is unbelievable.

Yeah, I keep hearing this. Might one say then, the damage done by Adkins/Clarke (17th and 19th) hampered Stam in his 1st season here, and that it prevented us gaining promotion? I don't recall that having been espoused, if it ever was.

252 posts