BFTG - Preston

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: BFTG - Preston

by sandman » 17 Sep 2018 12:05

Hendo
leon
NewCorkSeth Is this some kind of joke I don't get? Like when we called Brighton the Barcelona of the south? Or do people genuinely think they were that good..

No, the Fulham team that got promoted was the best team I have EVER seen.

And their fans are the BEST fans EVER.

Not smug, entitled middle class twats.

No.

Did you know Ryan Sessegnon was only 17 years old last season?

That's nothing.

Did you know that Ruben Neves used to play for Porto but he decided to join Wolves all by himself without Jorge Mendes influencing him at all?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 17 Sep 2018 12:16

Its sad news for Don Goodman that Ryan Sessegnon is no longer 17, Goodman seemed fixated on it. I thought he was going to rip his cock off during commentary at times.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 17 Sep 2018 16:00

NewCorkSeth
Old Man Andrews
paultheroyal Gunter bashing is just tiresome.

That is all.

Yeah lets just ignore his completely inept displays, let him get away with it. Bless little Chrissy.

It's not bashing. He was shite. Players should be called out when they're shite. Especially when we have a RB performing at a much higher standard forked out on the left to accommodate him.

How do you know Yiadom isn't being rewarded for his better displays by being given the option of not having Aluko in front of him?

Wrong side vs having Aluko as covering wing back. Hmmm.....

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 17 Sep 2018 16:13

NewCorkSeth
Nameless
Lower West
Not good enough to be considered premiership quality though. We are seeing his shortcomings .

Not sure of your point.
We’re not Premiership quality. Aluko was a very good player in a team considered by many the best ever to have played in this division. He SHOULD be a key player in our team. The question is why he isn’t.

Considered by many who? Fulham fans? Morons? People who just started watching football that year?

Fulham fans..... They really were delusional......Their big gobs all over the radio blagging on how great they were and how Sessegnon was possibly on par with Messi. It passed them by that they scraped promotion via the playoffs. 100 million quid spent and they have hardly set the premier league alight.

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 17 Sep 2018 16:14

NewCorkSeth Yay

completely lost interest at this point.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 17 Sep 2018 17:20

Quoted by Focher

Completely lost interest at this point.

Yes your comment got to me

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 17 Sep 2018 17:21

muirinho
NewCorkSeth
Old Man Andrews
Yeah lets just ignore his completely inept displays, let him get away with it. Bless little Chrissy.

It's not bashing. He was shite. Players should be called out when they're shite. Especially when we have a RB performing at a much higher standard forked out on the left to accommodate him.

How do you know Yiadom isn't being rewarded for his better displays by being given the option of not having Aluko in front of him?

:lol:

BarryWhiteRFC

by BarryWhiteRFC » 17 Sep 2018 17:28

NewCorkSeth
Old Man Andrews

That is all.

He was by far the worst player on the pitch on Saturday and unsurprisingly everyone noticed.

I thought Aluko was by far the worst player on the pitch. Gunter wasn't great, but considering he tried to get forward and had to defend the right side of the pitch on his own. I felt he did an OK job.

I thought the whole team was average at best on Saturday. I can't say anyone was truly outstanding. Moore and Illori did do good jobs, but we conceded 2 goals. Yiadom was great at times, how he kept that cross field ball in I'll never know. Miete, tried hard but actually achieved very little (which disappoints me as I'm a big fan), I was annoyed he didn't win more aerial battles. Kelly worked very hard, just lacked quality at times, I still thought he had an ok game. Swift was awful for the first 30 minutes, but then improved to the Swift we used to know and love. Probably just edged it as MoM. Baldock just seemed to run a lot without achieving anything other than scoring. So you have to say, at least he did his job. Bacuna, much like Swift, was awful for the first 30/40 minutes but then seemed to vastly improve. Walker made a few smart saves. I just wish he'd dominate his area more, just like Shaka used to do. He has the frame to do so!

The subs just ran a lot. Well except for Sims who set up the winner.

All in all, I'm very happy, we beat Preston. Not often I get to lord it up over my local rivals. However, on that performance, if things don't improve, we will lose a lot more football matches this season. As someone else mentioned, we could've been 3-1down by halftime.

Brain Traysers

by Brain Traysers » 17 Sep 2018 17:41

Nameless
He was clearly a good player at Fulham
My view is that neither Stam or Clement have found how to use him.
Putting him in the right winger role is a waste of time. He doesn’t play as a winger, gives us no width and provides no cover to his full back.
I th8nk if he played in the 10 role he would be much more effective.

I wrote a (fairly long) post about this here. He wasn't a good player at Fulham - he was an average performer in a very strong team when you look at it relatively. At 0.4 goals/assists per 90 mins playing time, he only ranked 9th best by that measure in Fulham's team. His season total of 8 goals + 10 assists was a huge outlier - that was the only season since 2012/13 where he scored more than the 3 he managed for us last season.

Last season his 0.21 goals+ assists per 90 also put him 9th in our squad, when ranked by that measure. I would assert that is is natural place at this level (as opposed to being a star performer), and given his age he is more likely to get worse than better any time soon. On top of that, he is being asked to play a different style, shown by the number of crosses he attempted going up 57% last season when compared with his final season with Fulham - that's a huge jump considering he went from an attacking team to a team in a relegation dogfight.

In one sentence; he is only performing badly against the perceptions that came with his hefty fee - it isn't his fault he is bang average.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 Sep 2018 18:12

Yep, and tbf to the evidence of our own eyes, he wasn’t particularly good against us that season for Fulham either. In fact he was pretty dreadful in the play off games, esp the home one

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Sep 2018 18:12

Snowball When Aluko joined he said he liked to take risks in games, do the unexpected

I think Stam made him too cautious and he lost his mojo

Really, because he seems to continually take stupid risks.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Sep 2018 18:14

muirinho
NewCorkSeth
Old Man Andrews

:lol:

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 17 Sep 2018 18:33

I was at Deepdale and it was a great feeling to finally win a game in the league this season. But the truth was we look a side destined for relegation come May.

We won because we have some talented attacking players on the pitch and also because Preston are poor at the back which helped us.

The fact is that we have a talented group of players, but they are wasting their huge potential at the moment.

I don't think the issue is the work rate or character of the side. They showed plenty of character to keep coming again and eventually deal Preston the knock out blow. I think the team are confused in their identity at the moment. They keep thinking to play the Stam way and come out from the back. Only now our formation and system has changed and maybe players aren't in the right shape to come out efficiently. We keep making mistakes and look shaky trying to play in the wrong areas.

What I do think though is that Clement is a top coach and will get this team eventually playing the right way. They just need to forget everything that Stam ever taught them and forge a new Reading way under Clement.

They need to be more efficient and clinical in their play making the right moves and right passes and runs. It will come. There will be an improvement and we will stay up. Clement needs our patience and trust. He will get it right. That I am sure.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 Sep 2018 21:07

Why do you say we look a team destined for relegation and then say Clement will get it right and we will stay up?

Which is it?

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 17 Sep 2018 21:20

Brain Traysers
Nameless
Putting him in the right winger role is a waste of time. He doesn’t play as a winger, gives us no width and provides no cover to his full back.

I wrote a (fairly long) post about this here. He wasn't a good player at Fulham - he was an average performer in a very strong team when you look at it relatively. At 0.4 goals/assists per 90 mins playing time, he only ranked 9th best by that measure in Fulham's team. His season total of 8 goals + 10 assists was a huge outlier - that was the only season since 2012/13 where he scored more than the 3 he managed for us last season.

Last season his 0.21 goals+ assists per 90 also put him 9th in our squad, when ranked by that measure. I would assert that is is natural place at this level (as opposed to being a star performer), and given his age he is more likely to get worse than better any time soon. On top of that, he is being asked to play a different style, shown by the number of crosses he attempted going up 57% last season when compared with his final season with Fulham - that's a huge jump considering he went from an attacking team to a team in a relegation dogfight.

In one sentence; he is only performing badly against the perceptions that came with his hefty fee - it isn't his fault he is bang average.

Fair enough yet he was captain and a regular starter for them.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 17 Sep 2018 22:07

Zip
Brain Traysers
Nameless

Was only made captain by the manager to send a message to the Fulham owners.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 17 Sep 2018 22:26

Old Man Andrews
Zip

Was only made captain by the manager to send a message to the Fulham owners.

If ever there was a reason to say "on pitch captain doesn't matter a damn", it's this.

Either that, or the message was "please sack me, I'm just pulling names out of a hat at this stage"

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 17 Sep 2018 23:50

Hound Why do you say we look a team destined for relegation and then say Clement will get it right and we will stay up?

Which is it?

I said that at this moment we look like a side destined for the drop. Because of the indecision in our play and not a clear and perfected method of play that is efficient and will bring results.

However, I predict that we won't carry on being so poor. I think Clement will improve this side and will get more and more out of the team. Give him 3 years and he will build a side that is challenging at the top of the table. For now he just has to keep us in the division and buy himself a couple more transfer windows.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 18 Sep 2018 00:17

That is all.

It's also tedious

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 18 Sep 2018 07:07

bcubed

That is all.

It's also tedious

You playing the synonym game?