My first rumour report. Things not well at Reading.

10539.4 Miles Away
Hob Nob Regular

Re: My first rumour report. Things not well at Reading.

by 10539.4 Miles Away » 06 Sep 2018 05:50

Vision
muirinho
Elm Park Kid Is Madejski really too poor/uninterested to buy the club back and get it on some kind of decent footing? He can't take the money with him and there's no spouse to think about.

Too old and tired I'd say. He's 77 now.

Spotted him yesterday nearly getting run over on Station Road as he started "running" towards I assume the buses.

Not for the first time recently he gave meth impression of someone not quite "with it"

Wow didn't have him down as a junkie. Tough times indeed. :wink:

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 06 Sep 2018 07:21

Elm Park Kid Is Madejski really too poor/uninterested to buy the club back and get it on some kind of decent footing? He can't take the money with him and there's no spouse to think about.

The Chinese also wouldn't just give the club away ... after all they like to make money.

RoyalJones

by RoyalJones » 06 Sep 2018 11:11

Think he's lost a lot of money according to this video: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-englan ... loses-300m

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 10 Sep 2018 15:44

RoyalJones

Think he's lost a lot of money according to this video: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-englan ... loses-300m
I guess alot of that £100m isn't in cash but represents a valuation on a business or asset which won't be realised as cash until a buyer can be found.... like his mansion, if that's a £10m valuation then he only has £90m to play with unless he downsizes, his cars are probaly worth in excess of £1m so that's £89m, probably still has some businesses he hasn't sold etc etc. He'd be crazy to gamble what he has left on the football club, plus he has two daughters, probably wants to leave something to them when he does come to the end and believe it or not, there are other causes more worthy of a few quid than Reading FC.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 11 Sep 2018 20:19

RIght now making origami with your cash and then setting it on fire is a better cause than spending it on RFC, although tbf I’m fairly certain that’s how BT and co implement our policy anyway.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 21 Sep 2018 22:58

2 world wars, 1 world cup Those who know me will know I may talk my fair share of shit but one thing you'll vouch for is that I've never posted a rumour (I think!), let alone a dud one despite being in a position where I may know some stuff at times.

I've sat on this bit of (alleged) info for a long time as I am not enjoying doing this, knowing the flaming I'll likely get from club apologists or sceptical fans, but it's worth now sharing especially as it's not anymore going to be too "out there" so I will probably be leaning on an open door.

My source - someone very close to me who I trust who is him/herself closer to the club than I am and has contacts within it.

The rumours -
I was told this a while back and annoyingly have forgotten some of the details but here is what I remember

1) Clueless people above the manager bringing players in at wages far too high for what they're worth, just to get them in because they deem them good, causing unrest in the camp and difficult to offload.

2) The owners showing very little interest, not being around much and leaving a lot of people unsupported.

3) I don't quite get how this one works but this is what I remember.. training and development being a total joke and players etc being quite clueless not having much direction, almost like people making it up as they go along. Something about some players just not turning up for training as there is nothing really set up as it's all a bit of a free for all. I don't get this one tbh and don't know what level this was aimed at. Surely not first team? But don't know.

4) Something about a doctor or physio or someone medical who was very good being offloaded by the new owners and replaced with their own person, someone inappropriate for the role, like an ex-plastic surgeon (if I remember correctly)

I may have got some of the details wrong and there was more to it, but in summary clueless reclusive owners making clueless player and personnel changes with poor financial decisions and there being an overwhelming feeling of most people at the club being confused and feeling directionless, which has been going on for a very long time.

Feel free to knock me if you like, but you'll only be shooting the messenger! But after Clements' post match interview I think the above will be easier to swallow.

No, I reckon you've got some sparks of truth there. My elder son is a personal trainer and one of his clients is a senior member of the support staff. Not wishing to cause any issues for anyone but suffice to say all is far from well at the MadStad.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Sep 2018 14:20

All is far from well? No shit, we've won 2 games in 9 and have spent most of the last 5 years at the wrong end of the table.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 23 Sep 2018 15:10

Snowflake Royal All is far from well? No shit, we've won 2 games in 9 and have spent most of the last 5 years at the wrong end of the table.

I think people are referring to off-field, board, back-room issues, Ian.

On the pitch everyone knows we are going to win the play offs

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Sep 2018 16:21

Snowball
Snowflake Royal All is far from well? No shit, we've won 2 games in 9 and have spent most of the last 5 years at the wrong end of the table.

I think people are referring to off-field, board, back-room issues, Ian.

On the pitch everyone knows we are going to win the play offs

Yes, obviously. You don't end up in our position on the pitch, without things being far from well off it too.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 23 Sep 2018 21:12

Just to offer a balance I met up with a friend yesterday who works at the club. His take on the behind the scenes situation was rather different. He said Gourlay was brought in because the Chinese believed the club needed an utter revamp. His brief was to sort it out from top to tail. He has upset people, mostly people who needed to be moved on either because they weren’t doing a good job or they weren’t open to the fundamental changes being made. It does seem you either buy in to what Gourlay is doing or you go, which is fine if he is doing the right stuff and I guess the issues arise when people disagree with him or are told they aren’t part of the plans. My friend reckoned his dealings with Gourlay have been challenging but Gourlay and the people he has brought in are very professional and have ambitious plans.
I have no view either way, I have never met Gourlay or Nani or any of the newer people at the club but was interested to hear positive views from someone at the club. They did say that a rebuild from the ground up was going to be a long term project and were still in the early stages so not to expect to see much forward progress in the immediate future. The owners are happy funding the club whilst a Gourlay sorts stuff out.
As ever I’m not going to give any clues as to who I spoke to to avoid possibly embarrassing them and accept some make be cynical as to sources, that is your perogative.

madstadblues

by madstadblues » 23 Sep 2018 21:38

Thanks for sharing, you've forgotten to mention the millions they are ploughing into the new training setup and the great progress that is making (fact!). The main fault is they have failed massively in using this as positive PR.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 23 Sep 2018 21:47

Nameless Just to offer a balance I met up with a friend yesterday who works at the club. His take on the behind the scenes situation was rather different. He said Gourlay was brought in because the Chinese believed the club needed an utter revamp. His brief was to sort it out from top to tail. He has upset people, mostly people who needed to be moved on either because they weren’t doing a good job or they weren’t open to the fundamental changes being made. It does seem you either buy in to what Gourlay is doing or you go, which is fine if he is doing the right stuff and I guess the issues arise when people disagree with him or are told they aren’t part of the plans. My friend reckoned his dealings with Gourlay have been challenging but Gourlay and the people he has brought in are very professional and have ambitious plans.
I have no view either way, I have never met Gourlay or Nani or any of the newer people at the club but was interested to hear positive views from someone at the club. They did say that a rebuild from the ground up was going to be a long term project and were still in the early stages so not to expect to see much forward progress in the immediate future. The owners are happy funding the club whilst a Gourlay sorts stuff out.
As ever I’m not going to give any clues as to who I spoke to to avoid possibly embarrassing them and accept some make be cynical as to sources, that is your perogative.

Is your friend going to remain nameless Nameless?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 23 Sep 2018 22:28

madstadblues Thanks for sharing, you've forgotten to mention the millions they are ploughing into the new training setup and the great progress that is making (fact!). The main fault is they have failed massively in using this as positive PR.

Yep, all seems rather inward directed. I guess they are thinking that they will come up with a shiny new club roaring to success and all will live happily ever after. It woukdn’t Be unprecedented for a club with disgruntled fans struggling on and off the pitch to turn itself around (see Man City, Wolves and others)

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 23 Sep 2018 22:28

Zip
Nameless Just to offer a balance I met up with a friend yesterday who works at the club. His take on the behind the scenes situation was rather different. He said Gourlay was brought in because the Chinese believed the club needed an utter revamp. His brief was to sort it out from top to tail. He has upset people, mostly people who needed to be moved on either because they weren’t doing a good job or they weren’t open to the fundamental changes being made. It does seem you either buy in to what Gourlay is doing or you go, which is fine if he is doing the right stuff and I guess the issues arise when people disagree with him or are told they aren’t part of the plans. My friend reckoned his dealings with Gourlay have been challenging but Gourlay and the people he has brought in are very professional and have ambitious plans.

They have a name.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 23 Sep 2018 23:35

Zip

I guess I’m ok with that. Could reasonably see how Gourlay has ruffled some feathers.
What I’m less sure of is how we allegedly got so fat off the park? Have seen the footy probs on it, but what went on off it and why the need to swing a machete I’m less sure of. Unless of course, he’s a hatchet man, etc.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 24 Sep 2018 07:59

Even In the Madejski period people on here we’re forever critical of a lot of off field stuff. I would imagine Anton hardly ran a tight ship (commissioned new carpeting for corporate areas with club logo woven into it etc). I suspect simply the series of regime changes have left stuff confused and less than good. And of course maybe the Chinese just see a better way of doing stuff so some of what they want to do is significant change which long standing staff may not like or see as better but as owners it’s how they see things working.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 24 Sep 2018 08:01

And of course different attitudes / interpretation of FFP have come and gone and our income has fluctuated wildly with the impact of promotion and relegation.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 24 Sep 2018 12:56

Good to hear a different take on things - thanks Nameless.

All I would say is, the academy from U7 through to U15s is in an utter mess.

Kids leaving in their droves, scouting network falling apart, no direction or organisation on academy training days. Missing out on matches - etc etc.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 24 Sep 2018 13:07

Nothing coming out of the club sighting unrest suggests to me that anything other than the above is taking place. There will be a state of flux/a mess for a while as people are moved on/brought in.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 26 Sep 2018 18:09

paultheroyal Good to hear a different take on things - thanks Nameless.

All I would say is, the academy from U7 through to U15s is in an utter mess.

Kids leaving in their droves, scouting network falling apart, no direction or organisation on academy training days. Missing out on matches - etc etc.

Change will take time. The one thing the Chinese is renowned for is patience. Building a good management team will likewise take time. SJM was no doubt a formidable individual in his day. Gourlay having worked at Chelsea certainly has the CV.