This season v last season

16 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

This season v last season

by andrew1957 » 02 Oct 2018 15:30

I am not sure if it has been mentioned on another thread but after the draw on Saturday RFC have a slightly better record this season (by goal difference) as compared to the first 10 games of last season under Stam.

Last time - Won 2 Drew 3 Lost 5 For 9 Against 12 (-3)
This season - Won 2 Drew 3 Lost 5 For 14 Against 15 (-1)

I have to say that I feel much more positive of a turn round this year and feel that my faith in Clement will be rewarded, as it does feel like we are in the process of turning the corner.

It is also encouraging that we are scoring more goals so far this season (lack of goals being the biggest problem last season) and I am sure that Clement will tighten the defense up over time.

Come on URZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: This season v last season

by Hound » 02 Oct 2018 15:42

Its a tough one - I think we embarked on a reasonable run around this time last year, and I thought we would end up being a lot better than we were. Didnt realise at that stage how useless Aluko would end up, nor how poor a season the likes of Edwards, Joey, McCleary, Swift, Kelly etc would end up having

I think we look a better side overall now - certainly a more rounded one, and look much more likely to score goals. Teams are definitely more confident against us than they were this time last season, when I think many were still coming to Reading looking for a draw

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 02 Oct 2018 16:54

andrew1957 I am not sure if it has been mentioned on another thread but after the draw on Saturday RFC have a slightly better record this season (by goal difference) as compared to the first 10 games of last season under Stam.

Last time - Won 2 Drew 3 Lost 5 For 9 Against 12 (-3)
This season - Won 2 Drew 3 Lost 5 For 14 Against 15 (-1)

I have to say that I feel much more positive of a turn round this year and feel that my faith in Clement will be rewarded, as it does feel like we are in the process of turning the corner.

It is also encouraging that we are scoring more goals so far this season (lack of goals being the biggest problem last season) and I am sure that Clement will tighten the defense up over time.

Come on URZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Andrew, said this before, but for me continual comparisons - and threads - about last season aren't an especially useful metric because its sets such a low bar. Kinda like if you compare shite with shite, it's still shite. Or if things seem a little rough, let's compare with last season, then feel better.
Also, I assume nobody is comparing this start/season - Clement's 1st - with Stam's 1st season, or start, because (among other reasons) it's not particularly useful or relevant.
Everyone knows last season was crap, so not much point keep dwelling on it. The sooner we move on, and are focused on comparisons with our opponents this season, with whom we will match up against (a more useful, relevant, and important metric, imo), the better off we'll be.
Also...against Hull, for example, more than half the starting eleven didn't even play for us last season anyway because they weren't even at the club.
Last edited by Denver Royal on 02 Oct 2018 18:37, edited 3 times in total.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 02 Oct 2018 17:08

Our away form is the most impressive thing about us at the moment, our home form was catastrophic until the Hull match. Win tonight against QPR and I will officially say we have turned a corner.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 02 Oct 2018 17:16

hi andrew1957, can you express this in terms of the number of cup finals left in the season please?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 02 Oct 2018 17:45

Out of interest what was the perceived level of the opposition to this stage last season. Think this season, aside from Forest, Brentford and maybe Derby, the teams Reading have played are teams that we would have expected to be comfortable against.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Oct 2018 17:54

The key difference for me is that under Stam we looked like a team that were trying to play a certain way for the sake of playing that way, having forgot the purpose of it is to win games not just pass well.

Whilst under Clement we look like we're trying to play a certain way to win games.

We are more direct. We try to get the ball forward quicker. We're not patiently waiting for someone to give us a free attempt to score, wereactively trying to force errors and create chances. And crucially, we're not fanying about with it and putting our own keeper and defenders under needless pressure for the sake of playing it out anywhere near as much.

Our better results have mostly come recently too, which suggests we're getting better. We may not have a similar good run to last year coming up, but I'm reasonably confident we won't go 18 / 19 games with only 1 win in the new year again either.

We're still in the doo doo and this could be yet another false dawn, but there are signs of recovery.

Armadillo Roadkill

by Armadillo Roadkill » 02 Oct 2018 17:59

For me it's a relevant question. We were rubbish and got worse. Has Clement done enough to affect the team and bring about some change.

Well, the stats say things are the same, but it looks to me like a longer term transformation is under way. So although we're in the same position as last year I'm hopeful that we have a manager that will improve things.

We did have a few good performances after this point in the season last year but slipped straight back into lethargic sideways passing immediately afterwards. Tonight will be interesting,

Don't Panic

by Don't Panic » 03 Oct 2018 09:08

I never quite get the last season v this season comparisons. I can't remember who we played in those first 10 games, but if the 5 we lost were against Wolves, Cardiff, Fulham, Villa and Boro (who were the top 5 at the end of the season) and the 5 we've lost this year are against 5 of the teams that finish at the bottom of the table (OK, would have to be 5 of the 6 teams as we can't play ourselves) would you really say progress has been made?

As someone else said, much more relevant to do comparisons against teams we've played, then we can see progress / regression against the teams we are playing.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Oct 2018 17:51

That assumes that each team has stood still. Is a game at home against Millwall now comparable to a game at home against Millwall last season when they were far better?

It's a look at the problems we had last year and where we are now. Personally I wouldn't draw comparisons with now and the statmrt of last season, but it's end.

You could always start a discussion using your preferred comparison... might be interesting to compare the two / three. Certainly more so than watching us play right now.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Oct 2018 17:51

That assumes that each team has stood still. Is a game at home against Millwall now comparable to a game at home against Millwall last season when they were far better?

It's a look at the problems we had last year and where we are now. Personally I wouldn't draw comparisons with now and the statmrt of last season, but it's end.

You could always start a discussion using your preferred comparison... might be interesting to compare the two / three. Certainly more so than watching us play right now.

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 03 Oct 2018 23:46

It's simple,
We played shit football last season and this season is just as shit.
Clement is not a very good manager, may even not be a very good coach, for all we know he may have only just set the cones out at PSG and Real.M.
The Players are for the most part journey men on the way down or young players that for some reason cannot play two games in a week without cramping up, the rest seemingly cannot get through a weeks worth of training without getting injured.
Shambles of a football club.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 04 Oct 2018 02:11

I’d almost perfer us to go down than have a repeat of last season and have to put up with this shite again next year.

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 04 Oct 2018 06:32

I am a bit more optimistic about this season. Some of Clement's selections have been head scratchers but the Iranian dude and Sims have added some needed quality in positions that needed improvement. Along with a much better style of play for this division.

The big :?: is up front. Outside of Bod I don't know where the goals will come from. And they're still conceding too many soft goals...

Obviously a work in progress but it seems progress, no matter how inconsistent it is right now, is being made.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 04 Oct 2018 09:36

CountryRoyal I’d almost perfer us to go down than have a repeat of last season and have to put up with this shite again next year.

But, if Reading did go down, you might still be putting up with it at that level only the defeats then would be to the likes of Rochdale, Southend & Accrington and in front of 6k.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 04 Oct 2018 09:46

Sutekh
CountryRoyal I’d almost perfer us to go down than have a repeat of last season and have to put up with this shite again next year.

But, if Reading did go down, you might still be putting up with it at that level only the defeats then would be to the likes of Rochdale, Southend & Accrington and in front of 6k.

This is of course a very valid possibility. Some new away days though. :oops:

16 posts   •   Page 1 of 1