Will going down be a bad thing? poll added.

SO WILL IT?

Poll ended at 05 Oct 2018 17:46
YES
51%
NO
18%
WHAT A STUPID QUESTION.
23%
IAN ROYAL
8%

Total votes: 84
BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Will going down be a bad thing? poll added.

by BR0B0T » 05 Oct 2018 14:08

Teams relegated from Championship currently playing in lower leagues

Stockport County
Bury
Cambridge United
Colchester United
Crewe Alexandra
Grimsby Town
Oldham Athletic
Port Vale
Tranmere Rovers
Yeovil Town
Barnsley
Blackpool
Bradford City
Bristol Rovers
Charlton Athletic
Coventry City
Doncaster Rovers
Gillingham
Leeds United
Luton Town
Milton Keynes Dons
Oxford United
Peterborough United
Plymouth Argyle
Portsmouth
Scunthorpe United
Southend United
Swindon Town
Walsall
Wimbledon

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 05 Oct 2018 14:09

Teams relegated from Champs currently playing in the Championship

Birmingham City
Blackburn Rovers
Bolton Wanderers
Brentford
Bristol City
Millwall
Norwich City
Nottingham Forest
Preston North End
Queens Park Rangers
Reading
Rotherham United
Sheffield United
Sheffield Wednesday
Stoke City
Wigan Athletic

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 05 Oct 2018 14:09

Teams relegated from the champ currently playing at higher level in prem

Brighton & Hove Albion
Burnley
Huddersfield Town
Leicester City
Manchester City
Southampton
Watford
Wolves

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 05 Oct 2018 14:24

BR0B0T Teams relegated from etc

Nice analysis there, thanks. And certainly backs up my thinking that going down is much more likely to have a negative effect long-term than a positive one.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 05 Oct 2018 14:26

muirinho
BR0B0T Teams relegated from etc

Nice analysis there, thanks. And certainly backs up my thinking that going down is much more likely to have a negative effect long-term than a positive one.

lots of flaws in it...noticeably time frame but just trying to give a general idea

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Oct 2018 17:38

I think this needs a lot more work to be useful.

You need to look at say a 2, 5 and 10 year period following relegation from the Championship and slice it based on teams' previous 5-10 year standing prior to relegation. And you'd obviously have to instantly discount any side that were relegated last year. And also highlight clubs who suffered administration points deductions in the period leading up to their relegation. Not much point comparing us to Pompey.

Plus you've got Leeds as currently playing lower than the Championship somehow. I wish.

I might give it a shot myself. Stand by.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Will going down be a bad thing?

by Lower West » 05 Oct 2018 18:23

Sanguine Does Bodvarsson stay and play in League One when he has Iceland ambitions? Does Swift, who has obvious technical ability but needs better coaching, play in League One or does he join another Championship side? And Mannone, Moore, Ilori, O'Shea, Gunter, Yiadom, Barrow, Bacuna, Blackett. All Championship level players, or better.

Other than Moore didn't appear to be any serious interest in any of the squad in the last transfer window. Sometimes the lack of words speaks volumes.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 05 Oct 2018 19:24

Snowflake Royal I think this needs a lot more work to be useful.

You need to look at say a 2, 5 and 10 year period following relegation from the Championship and slice it based on teams' previous 5-10 year standing prior to relegation. And you'd obviously have to instantly discount any side that were relegated last year. And also highlight clubs who suffered administration points deductions in the period leading up to their relegation. Not much point comparing us to Pompey.

Plus you've got Leeds as currently playing lower than the Championship somehow. I wish.

Yeah, as I was doing it I was seeing countless teams that in the right timeframe saw improvements following relegation (Reading being one). Also, plenty of traditionally 'small' teams with financial difficulties following relegation from the prem.

Yep Leeds c&p error...mental to think they got relegated from the prem (best part of) 15 years ago
(Was doing it on a windows machine with xls (I have no fooking idea how to use the 'sack of shit' properly))

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 05 Oct 2018 19:27

Basically it depends

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 06 Oct 2018 01:20

BR0B0T Basically it depends

Ha ha ha ha ha no cnuting shit Sherlock

Kulshaw72RFC

by Kulshaw72RFC » 06 Oct 2018 08:20

I fear that we will implode and end up like Chesterfield or Stockport.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 06 Oct 2018 11:10

BR0B0T Teams relegated from Top Division currently playing in lower leagues

Oldham Athletic (Founder Members of the Premier League)
Barnsley
Blackpool
Bradford City
Bristol Rovers
Charlton Athletic
Coventry City
Luton Town
Oxford United
Peterborough United
Portsmouth
Swindon Town
Wimbledon

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 06 Oct 2018 11:12

The only good thing about down for me would be playing at Gillingham (assuming they stay up).

As for the suggestion about going back up, in my time as a fan we've generally spent 4 years in a division (in the FL) before going up or down, and currently it will be 6 years. I did read an interesting debate last season that the gap between the Champ and Prem was getting smaller whilst the gap between the Champ and L1 was getting bigger. But given our track record of bouncing straight back, and suspecting that financially we'd be in the shit, I don't really want to test that out. Also, when Wigan and Rotherham have gone down in recent seasons they would expect to be in a relegation battle so would be prepared if they dropped down to L1. Stoke never expected to get relegated last season and not many of their players have played in the Championship before so there's been a culture shock for them. I doubt we'd be prepared and how many of our players have played in L1 before? Gunter, McCleary and Walker off the top of my head but struggling after that.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 06 Oct 2018 11:44

KC Royal wrote:-
The only good thing about down for me would be playing at Gillingham (assuming they stay up).

There are strong possibilities that Oxford and Swindon could both be in League 2 so no local derbies if we were relegated?
For me it might not even be Portsmouth at that level for a local game to where I live and I now look enviously at the Southern clubs who got lucky with rich owners prepared to invest(?) or were better managed (?) in Bournemouth, Southampton and Brighton whereas we lacked luck, ambition and good management when we made it to the top level.

I don't want to watch League 1 and drive up to games against Lincoln, Shrewsbury or Accrington on a Tuesday not getting home past midnight when by being in this division we do at least get to see clubs just relegated from the top level and big clubs on their way back to the Prem.

Maybe we will get some luck, ambition and good management one day but I do fear that we now are in great danger of relegation with both fans and players thinking that these players are better than they really are.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Oct 2018 11:54

BR0B0T

Yeah, as I was doing it I was seeing countless teams that in the right timeframe saw improvements following relegation (Reading being one). Also, plenty of traditionally 'small' teams with financial difficulties following relegation from the prem.

Yep Leeds c&p error...mental to think they got relegated from the prem (best part of) 15 years ago
(Was doing it on a windows machine with xls (I have no fooking idea how to use the 'sack of shit' properly))

Had to go out last night, but I'm part way through ineptly plotting data. It's going to take a while and it's not worth doing to find out whether relegation is a disaster is highly situational. But it's miserable outside so we'll see how I go.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 06 Oct 2018 13:54

BR0B0T Teams relegated from Championship currently playing in lower leagues

Leeds United

:?

Kulshaw72RFC

by Kulshaw72RFC » 06 Oct 2018 13:57

Snowflake Royal
BR0B0T

Had to go out last night, but I'm part way through ineptly plotting data. It's going to take a while and it's not worth doing to find out whether relegation is a disaster is highly situational. But it's miserable outside so we'll see how I go.

Can you add in if they got promoted again to PL, how many years and money was spent?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Oct 2018 14:22

Kulshaw72RFC
Snowflake Royal
BR0B0T

Can you add in if they got promoted again to PL, how many years and money was spent?

Kinda, maybe and no.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Will going down be a bad thing?

by Elm Park Kid » 07 Oct 2018 16:36

Forbury Lion
Elm Park Kid Whether relegation hurts or helps you in the long run is 99% down to the finances of the club and owners. If they have the capacity and willingness to fund us whilst we're in League One it would probably be ok.
The Financial Fair Play rules are currently restricting our ability to sign players, Being in a lower league with less revenue isn't going to help at all.
Gone are the days when owners are allowed to throw £m's at a club to fund transfers.

We wouldn't need to spend big, just enough to keep the bulk of our squad.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 07 Oct 2018 18:31

Kulshaw72RFC Can you add in if they got promoted again to PL, how many years and money was spent?

Noticable how relegated clubs no longer bounce back instantly. Money is no guarantee of success. Fall in revenue means clubs still have to cut back. Lose best players etc.