BFTG West Brom

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFTG West Brom

by Zip » 07 Oct 2018 10:54

sandman
NewCorkSeth I'm pissed atm but will post a BFTG tomorrow. Just wanted to say the revisionist views on Williams are a bit much. He was heavily criticised while here and rarely played well enough to influence a game.

If anything Bacuna, despite playing in a team with as low a morale as possible, has shown himself to be a superior player.

Midfield is not the problem imo. Well at least not in and of itself. Without Bod in the team we barely look like scoring a goal and the tactics we have deployed have been counter to our efforts to win. In short Clement is the issue. An experienced manager would have found a base team much faster. The change must come soon.

No, he was under appreciated here. And now you're all starting to realise how good he was and how crucial he was to setting a tempo and being the one to drive the team forward whilst the others were fiddling about slowly knocking the ball around our own half.

Williams was a big match player for us. He was inconsistent otherwise. However his drive has been missed. Bacuna has been just as inconsistent but is a similar type player who could fill the gap that Williams left. I liked Williams and felt he was overly criticised on here.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 07 Oct 2018 11:02

PieEater As others have said we had a great first half and somehow completely capitulated in the second half. I injured my shin for the first goal, we really looked like we'd win. It all turned to shit with Walker watching a cross and a tap in then us being completely unable to defend set pieces. TBF the Baggies were clinical they took every chance and placed it right in the corner, ignoring Walker for the first.

We should have got something from that game, West Brom were so poor, yet it looks like a walkover, That makes losing so badly worse.

The Vine was great, I avoided the Goat curry and went for the very spicy chicken tika 9/10. I was too full for the chicken Chettinad post match,

Tried both the tikka and the kebab off the grill. Christ, an absolute ringburner.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 07 Oct 2018 11:20

So, football.

We have a blueprint for moving forward in that first half display. Don't underestimate that.

Midfield was very good first half, we had a gameplan and executed it well. Not sure what was in the half time cuppa as it was a totally different performance. Barely five minutes in, soft goal, and it felt like the player all switched off. Two more soft goals from set pieces, and it's a hiding. This is where Clement is at fault - if we're going to struggle, then organisation and discipline on set pieces will be crucial, nurdling our way to points against the form book.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Oct 2018 12:06

URZZZZZZZZ
John Madejski's Wallet Our keeping had been sh*t ever since Beasant appeared imo.

Two time player of the season Ali Al Habsi disagrees with you.

Didn't have much to compete with did he. And Beasant was only with us for one of AAH's PotSs.

I'm not sure whether our keeper's look distinctly ropey because of the awful team infront of them making them nervous, or because Beasant is shit. But either way, our keeping was certainly far better under Sal Bibbo, and getting rid of him always seemed like a terrible decision.

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 07 Oct 2018 12:12

Snowflake Royal
URZZZZZZZZ
John Madejski's Wallet Our keeping had been sh*t ever since Beasant appeared imo.

Didn't have much to compete with did he. And Beasant was only with us for one of AAH's PotSs.

I'm not sure whether our keeper's look distinctly ropey because of the awful team infront of them making them nervous, or because Beasant is shit. But either way, our keeping was certainly far better under Sal Bibbo, and getting rid of him always seemed like a terrible decision.

Beasant joined in 2015, the same summer Al Habsi did.

Maybe nothing to compete with the first time, but the second time we finished 3rd in the league and he beat the likes of Kermorgant and Moore - so yes, he had plenty to compete with.

Bibbo was clearly very good, but to dismiss Beasant as ‘shit’ is very ignorant.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Oct 2018 12:19

URZZZZZZZZ
Snowflake Royal
URZZZZZZZZ

Beasant joined in 2015, the same summer Al Habsi did.

Maybe nothing to compete with the first time, but the second time we finished 3rd in the league and he beat the likes of Kermorgant and Moore - so yes, he had plenty to compete with.

Bibbo was clearly very good, but to dismiss Beasant as ‘shit’ is very ignorant.

I thought Stam brought Beasant in? My mistake. It was that total knob head Clarke. I take that back. He's clearly not as successful as Bibbo was though. Just look at Bond, Jaakkola, Mannone and Walker. They make the slightly unreliable Federici look like Gordon Banks.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 07 Oct 2018 13:26

We need Steve Mautone here on loan.

Kulshaw72RFC

by Kulshaw72RFC » 07 Oct 2018 15:54

2 world wars, 1 world cup We need Steve Mautone here on loan.

We may aswell get Steve Spielberg. Will vastly improve our side.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 07 Oct 2018 16:34

Zip
sandman
NewCorkSeth I'm pissed atm but will post a BFTG tomorrow. Just wanted to say the revisionist views on Williams are a bit much. He was heavily criticised while here and rarely played well enough to influence a game.

If anything Bacuna, despite playing in a team with as low a morale as possible, has shown himself to be a superior player.

Midfield is not the problem imo. Well at least not in and of itself. Without Bod in the team we barely look like scoring a goal and the tactics we have deployed have been counter to our efforts to win. In short Clement is the issue. An experienced manager would have found a base team much faster. The change must come soon.

No, he was under appreciated here. And now you're all starting to realise how good he was and how crucial he was to setting a tempo and being the one to drive the team forward whilst the others were fiddling about slowly knocking the ball around our own half.

Williams was a big match player for us. He was inconsistent otherwise. However his drive has been missed. Bacuna has been just as inconsistent but is a similar type player who could fill the gap that Williams left. I liked Williams and felt he was overly criticised on here.

I thought that Williams was a really important player, one of the few we had in the team that could motivate the entire side and scare defences. I think one of the problems he faced though is that he needed someone in midfield to sit on the halfway line whilst he ventured forward, and he never really had that.

He's like McCleary in that he had lots of moments that make him look like a clear Premier League player but he just couldn't seem to string enough together to convince everyone.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Oct 2018 22:53

I think we miss Williams, but he was never actually the player we needed. He didn't really play for the team, he played for himself. Hence how often he held on to the ball too long and ran into trouble down a blind alley, or would shoot into row z.

I'd thought Bacuna would be the player that we needed to do Williams role, but actually deliver service to the front players a bit more often. Instead, he seems to alternate between wearing boots made of thick cotton wool having taken a sedative and what we actually want. Which isn't really much good over a season.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 08 Oct 2018 03:48

leon
Top Flight Also West Brom gave us a lesson in ruthless, efficient, clinical attacking play. They come forward with speed and players like Dwight Gayle, Harvey Barnes and Jay Rodriguez absolutely busting a gut to get in the box and get on the end of things. Gayle seems to have a real knack of being in the right place at the right moment.

The Albion are the best attacking team in the division and our boys should try to learn from their speed, desire to get forward and sheer ruthlessness.

Just like Brentford last Saturday set the example of a team that plays with passion, hunger and desire. Our lads really need to take notice of what it takes to be successful in this division and how to be in and around the top end of the table.

Sorry, this as with all your posts is deluded, happy clappy bullshit.

12 games 9 points. Only a fcuking moron would say the manager is doing anything other than a shit job.

I suppose the rain in Manchester and Brexit is also Clements fault.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 08 Oct 2018 08:15

Snowflake Royal I think we miss Williams, but he was never actually the player we needed. He didn't really play for the team, he played for himself.

Wow.............

If you are genuinely serious then you need your head checked.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 08 Oct 2018 08:32

First half was the most enjoyable performance in a long while. We looked composed and dangerous. Though McNulty was excellent in that 45, made some great runs including one where he beat his man and pulled the ball back to the perfect spot only for Swift to be on his heels. Really should have taken the chance he drilled wide. If we had been 2 or 3 up at half time, no one could have been surprised on that performance.

2nd half - just wow. Lot of people blaming PC but I think the players have to take it all. The 1st half was how PC set us up to play and it was superb, 2nd half the players showed they are the most mentally weak group this club has probably ever had. The only way this will change is if we can string together 3 or 4 results whilst keeping clean sheets. I'm not sure what else can be done there.

Every time, one player makes a mistake, the others collapse. Horrible to watch.

Kulshaw72RFC

by Kulshaw72RFC » 08 Oct 2018 08:54

Old Man Andrews
Snowflake Royal I think we miss Williams, but he was never actually the player we needed. He didn't really play for the team, he played for himself.

Wow.............

I think from his latest posts that is too far in the past. I hope the losses have not had too much of a big effect on Snowflake Royal.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 08 Oct 2018 08:57

"why is your mascot a fridge"

"it's not a fridge, its a combo-boiler"

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 08 Oct 2018 09:03

stealthpapes So, football.

We have a blueprint for moving forward in that first half display. Don't underestimate that.

Midfield was very good first half, we had a gameplan and executed it well. Not sure what was in the half time cuppa as it was a totally different performance. Barely five minutes in, soft goal, and it felt like the player all switched off. Two more soft goals from set pieces, and it's a hiding. This is where Clement is at fault - if we're going to struggle, then organisation and discipline on set pieces will be crucial, nurdling our way to points against the form book.

What Clement did well - he put out a team that WBA did not think we'll field. Barrow and sims on the bench was a big surprise. WBA probably lined up do deal with winger and we done them through the middle with a bit of clinical passing. We did enough in the first half and looked decent - still not perfect as still some missed passes and lost chances.
What Clement did wrong - he did not think that WBA would change the setup and rested on a first half performance. Took too long to change thing s up once we were getting over run.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 08 Oct 2018 10:00

Old Man Andrews

Wow.............

Williams was majorly disappointing a lot of the time. People seem to just be remembering his highlights reel. He was a struggle pig but he was largely ineffective in most games and often went missing. A bit like a CM version of Meite.

Bacuna is simply a better player. As Ian said he does have a tendency to be great for a few games then woeful for no apparent reason but in terms of skill, tactical awareness and physicality he tops Williams.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 08 Oct 2018 10:01

Bacuna is a better player than Williams..........

Heard it all now.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 08 Oct 2018 10:15

It's way too late to post my BFTG and I spent the weekend drinking away my sorrows so I'll just say that I find it hard to blame the players for that result. Well.. Walker was pretty poor..

The tactics really failed for me. Even in the first half when we moved from defense to attack so well we looked 1 step away from disaster.

That's not to say it isn't a tactic we could persist with (especially when Obita returns) but our striking options were completely wrong for it.

The lack of chemistry between Meite and McNulty was incredible. Both were doing their own thing (and honestly they are pretty good at their own thing) without any insight to the other. Meite was flicking headers on into space where there was no chance of a Reading player getting to and McNulty was dropping out of the box to try through balls in the wring direction. They don't work well together..

The changes yet again were disastrously late. Clement shows his lack of experience and insight as a manager time and time again. The Kelly sub was baffling.

The positives for me was that I doubted that formation for so long but now have second thoughts. Blackett slotted in really well and Yiadom is a great wing back. The midfield 3 of Ezatolahi (who really does have some top drawer ability in his pocket), Bacuna and Swift is actually looking very decent. They have a great balance of skill and strength between them.

A front 2 of Bod and Baldock would have changed that game immeasurably.

Sadly I think it's time to put Mannone back in. After the last game I expressed my doubts about Walkers distribution and several people on here had posted about his aerial ability. His experience is showing and Mannone is just slightly better.

The question for me is should we persists with this formation with Bod and Baldock back (potentially losing a player who is out of form but very strong when at his best in Barrow) or revert back to the familiar 4-3-2-1 that I love so much and hope Aluko never plays again?

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 08 Oct 2018 10:17

Bacuna on his day is better than Williams on his day. Williams when playing shit is so much better than bacuna when playing shit.
Just like Williams, Bacuna is also very inconsistent.