The Football League Thread 18/19

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

Re: The Football League Thread 18/19

by John Smith » 11 Oct 2018 11:30

Old Man Andrews
John Smith
Old Man Andrews .

Old Man Andrews, who goes from the Championship this season?

This is a tough one as Rotherham and Wigan (two of my preseason relegation picks have had good starts.

I would say it will be Rotherham, Bolton and Ipswich who will go. Ipswich will pay the price for thinking they can do better than Mick McCarthy. Their supporters made a huge error in forcing him out.

So you're assuming Preston will turn things around? And Nigel will get Hull out? They haven't won for 5 games.

Ipswich won at Swans last week...

Millwall?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 11 Oct 2018 11:30

Stranded
Old Man Andrews
John Smith Old Man Andrews, who goes from the Championship this season?

This is a tough one as Rotherham and Wigan (two of my preseason relegation picks have had good starts.

I would say it will be Rotherham, Bolton and Ipswich who will go. Ipswich will pay the price for thinking they can do better than Mick McCarthy. Their supporters made a huge error in forcing him out.

Not sure Rotherham having 11 points is really a good start, although I'd be delighted to be in double figures at this point.

*Good start in relation to what I expected them to do.

Rememeber a couple of seasons ago when they came up? Think it took them a few months to get to 11 points.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 11 Oct 2018 11:32

Might start a poll for this one in the main football thread?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 11 Oct 2018 11:35

John Smith
Old Man Andrews
John Smith Old Man Andrews, who goes from the Championship this season?

So you're assuming Preston will turn things around? And Nigel will get Hull out? They haven't won for 5 games.

Ipswich won at Swans last week...

Millwall?

Preston will soon sack their manager and get someone in who will save them.

Hull will be ok. Again might need to change manager to do it but they have quality there. A lot will also depend if anyone comes in for Bowen.

Millwall have seemingly turned a corner. Great home win against Villa last time out and a decent manager too, they'll be fine in mid-table.

Who do you think will come up from League 1?

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 11 Oct 2018 11:42

Old Man Andrews Who do you think will come up from League 1?

Barnsley
Sunderland
Doncaster

In that order

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 11 Oct 2018 11:47

Old Man Andrews
Stranded
Old Man Andrews

Not sure Rotherham having 11 points is really a good start, although I'd be delighted to be in double figures at this point.

*Good start in relation to what I expected them to do.

Rememeber a couple of seasons ago when they came up? Think it took them a few months to get to 11 points.

Last time they came up they stayed up for 3 seasons. :wink:

But yes last time they went down it took them half a season to get over 11 points.

Kulshaw72RFC

by Kulshaw72RFC » 11 Oct 2018 15:23

John Smith
Old Man Andrews Who do you think will come up from League 1?

Barnsley
Sunderland
Doncaster

In that order

Pompey
Fleetwood
Accrington

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 12 Oct 2018 11:32

Good little read this.
https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... nager-idol

Luton Town's 'Manager Idol' - when the club's new owners decided to get people to vote for the club's next manager.

“We will appoint Mike Newell regardless of the telephone poll,” Gurney told the documentary team. “For two reasons: one is we failed to agree terms with Joe Kinnear, Steve Cotterill is not here and Mike is. :lol: :lol:

Kulshaw72RFC

by Kulshaw72RFC » 13 Oct 2018 10:11

Macclesfield equal the British League record of 36 games in the league without a win matching Derbys record from their abject 07-08 season. They haven't won a league game since 2012.

Kulshaw72RFC

by Kulshaw72RFC » 13 Oct 2018 22:11

Lincoln looking very good so far. Foresy green lost the Efl only unbeaten run this season in 97th minute. Such a shame as I really like to watch them, very interesting and exciting team. Newport also looking good after their great escape not long ago.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 14 Oct 2018 17:54

Kulshaw72RFC Foresy green lost the Efl only unbeaten run this season in 97th minute. Such a shame as I really like to watch them, very interesting and exciting team.

I remember another ex-nobber who was just the same.
Family connections too, IIRC.

Kulshaw72RFC

by Kulshaw72RFC » 14 Oct 2018 18:00

I like watching lots of different teams just for the players they have (Doidge at FGR but now Bolton, or Peterborough who have always been fun to watch, Rochdale because Henderson is a good player). Maybe it is because Reading have been so terrible this last few seasons. I still support them and always will.

I have a family member who works at Charlton as a fitness coach. No idea about Forest Green though but they seen to be an up and coming team like Salford.

Kulshaw72RFC

by Kulshaw72RFC » 14 Oct 2018 18:12

Heck I even like watching Accrington play!

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 15 Oct 2018 08:03

Kulshaw72RFC I like watching lots of different teams just for the players they have (Doidge at FGR but now Bolton, or Peterborough who have always been fun to watch, Rochdale because Henderson is a good player). Maybe it is because Reading have been so terrible this last few seasons. I still support them and always will.

I have a family member who works at Charlton as a fitness coach. No idea about Forest Green though but they seen to be an up and coming team like Salford.

No you don't.

Kulshaw72RFC

by Kulshaw72RFC » 15 Oct 2018 08:36

Old Man Andrews
Kulshaw72RFC I like watching lots of different teams just for the players they have (Doidge at FGR but now Bolton, or Peterborough who have always been fun to watch, Rochdale because Henderson is a good player). Maybe it is because Reading have been so terrible this last few seasons. I still support them and always will.

No you don't.

Loooool yes I do.... on my wife's side. Her uncle who used to be a pro football, who played with Primus, Pardew, Maik Taylor, managed by Ray Clemence, played in Chelseas youth team but when Zola etc where there so no chance of playing, was in the famous John Sinnott losing his shit video when his team were 3 down at half-time. If you want I can introduce you too, show you pics, videos, trophies, get free tickets?

Sorry Kes I will not be dragged into your bullshit this time. You are on the ignore list now.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 15 Oct 2018 11:05

Kulshaw72RFC Macclesfield equal the British League record of 36 games in the league without a win matching Derbys record from their abject 07-08 season. They haven't won a league game since 2012.

Impressive record. Their last football league win was 31 December 2011 at home to Port Vale (and that was their first win in eight).

LLLLLLLLDDDDDLLDLLLDLLLLLLDDLLLLDDLL is their complete record since. 36 games, 11 draws and 25 defeats. Scored 27, conceded 66. Just 2 clean sheets, and have failed to score 17 times.

Kulshaw72RFC

by Kulshaw72RFC » 15 Oct 2018 11:12

Sanguine
Kulshaw72RFC Macclesfield equal the British League record of 36 games in the league without a win matching Derbys record from their abject 07-08 season. They haven't won a league game since 2012.

Impressive record. Their last football league win was 31 December 2011 at home to Port Vale (and that was their first win in eight).

LLLLLLLLDDDDDLLDLLLDLLLLLLDDLLLLDDLL is their complete record since. 36 games, 11 draws and 25 defeats. Scored 27, conceded 66. Just 2 clean sheets, and have failed to score 17 times.

No matter how bad it is being a Reading fan, there is always somebody worse off then us.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 15 Oct 2018 11:24

Kulshaw72RFC I have a family member who works at Charlton as a fitness coach. No idea about Forest Green though but they seen to be an up and coming team like Salford.

Funnily enough we had an EX nobber who's family member worked at Charlton and was pictured on social media with some weird photo illusion, making him look different. :?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 15 Oct 2018 14:34

Sanguine

Out of interest what is the British record for the number of successive winless Premier/Football League games played a club in the same season? I'm presuming it's most of Derby County's above record but know others have run close like Cambridge in the mid 1980s

If you were a fan of Macclesfield though, would not some part of you be disappointed when that record came to an end?

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 15 Oct 2018 14:57

Sutekh
Sanguine

Out of interest what is the British record for the number of successive winless Premier/Football League games played a club in the same season? I'm presuming it's most of Derby County's above record but know others have run close like Cambridge in the mid 1980s

If you were a fan of Macclesfield though, would not some part of you be disappointed when that record came to an end?

For what it's worth, Macclesfield can equal Sunderland's recent record for home games without a win (17) if they don't beat Carlisle at the weekend.

On the record within one season, I'd be surprised if anyone touched Derby's 32. And that run is still going for the top flight, they'll extend their record for 'top flight games without a win' for every game they don't win, if and when they get promoted again.