On this day

413 posts
Nick Shorey my Lord!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: On this day

by Nick Shorey my Lord! » 19 Oct 2018 11:05

Ok, total hijack from today, but I thought all record of this had been buried under the SB toilets...

https://youtu.be/f94UXc4rOYU?t=87

I'd forgotten just how bad wiggy was, but I do remember how poor flat-face was, which was a shame for a pro who'd done so well for us the previous seasons.

Anyway, back on track, on this day 2003 we thump Ipswich 3-1 with Forster running the show (the second a right peach):

https://youtu.be/o8NTa6_bxxI?t=650

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 19 Oct 2018 11:36

A bit unrelated to this thread but I need to know the year of the Blyth Spartans tie that was played in the afternoon due the the miners strikes ? its all about to where I was working at the time.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 19 Oct 2018 11:38

And on this day 33 years ago Lincoln 0 Reading 1 . and the last of our 13 wins at the start of the season.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 19 Oct 2018 12:03

windermereROYAL A bit unrelated to this thread but I need to know the year of the Blyth Spartans tie that was played in the afternoon due the the miners strikes ? its all about to where I was working at the time.

https://www.11v11.com/matches/reading-v ... 72-213307/

?

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 19 Oct 2018 12:03

From ... https://www.11v11.com/teams/reading/tab ... Spartans/#

pretty comprehensive, and I find you can then take the finer details and get more from other Google* searches.

*other search engines are available.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 19 Oct 2018 14:42

19 October 1997

Oldham Athletic 1-1 Reading

Team:

Tommy Wright
Andy Bernal
Jeff Hopkins
Keith McPherson
Barry Hunter
Paul Bodin
James Lambert
Mick Gooding
Michael Gilkes
Lee Nogan
Trevor Morley

Subs (used):

Jimmy Quinn
Phil Parkinson

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 24 Oct 2018 08:55

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 24 Oct 2018 18:36

24th October 1970

Mansfield 0-0 Reading

I was there

grey_squirrel

by grey_squirrel » 24 Oct 2018 19:49

windermereROYAL And on this day 33 years ago Lincoln 0 Reading 1 . and the last of our 13 wins at the start of the season.

33 years ago?! Shlt.

I was there. We had a side of their main terrace (as it was in those days, before becoming their main stand). Don't remember much other than Tricky Trev scoring on or about or just after HT.

Next match was the 2-2 home game with Wolves. Remember this more for the then attendance capacity busting restrictions imposed on EP ("Offici ally" 13,000 there that night?); Mike Lewis cooking the actual gate receipts and (allegedly) pocketing some/most of them; the "away end" being made open for home fans; the 48 Wolves fans in A Stand displaying "Bhattis Out" banners (their overseas owners at the time) that nobody other than the Southbank could see (pointless); and as for the game I can't remember any of it other than the disbelief that we didn't beat a lowly Wolves team.

Next game was Bury away in the fog and got beat 3-1 in a totally inept performance. I was there for that too. Remember thinking we played like we were already up. Which, I suppose, we really nearly were.

My. How times have changed.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 24 Oct 2018 19:54

grey_squirrel
windermereROYAL And on this day 33 years ago Lincoln 0 Reading 1 . and the last of our 13 wins at the start of the season.

33 years ago?! Shlt.

I was there. We had a side of their main terrace (as it was in those days, before becoming their main stand). Don't remember much other than Tricky Trev scoring on or about or just after HT.

Next match was the 2-2 home game with Wolves. Remember this more for the then attendance capacity busting restrictions imposed on EP ("Offici ally" 13,000 there that night?); Mike Lewis cooking the actual gate receipts and (allegedly) pocketing some/most of them; the "away end" being made open for home fans; the 48 Wolves fans in A Stand displaying "Bhattis Out" banners (their overseas owners at the time) that nobody other than the Southbank could see (pointless); and as for the game I can't remember any of it other than the disbelief that we didn't beat a lowly Wolves team.

Next game was Bury away in the fog and got beat 3-1 in a totally inept performance. I was there for that too. Remember thinking we played like we were already up. Which, I suppose, we really nearly were.

My. How times have changed.

I was at that Wolves game too. Incredible to think it was that long ago. That was the only home game I went to that season. I did go to Fellowes Park for our 6-0 drubbing at the hands of a rampant Walsall side the following February so I was a bit of a curse on the club that season.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 25 Oct 2018 08:06

On this day in 2008 we played out a cracking 0-0 draw with QPR.

Reading 0-0 QPR 25th October 2008

Reading and QPR played out a goalless draw in Saturday's Championship match.

QPR, who scked manager Iain Dowie on Friday, forced good second-half saves from Marcus Hahnemann through Daniel Parejo and Akos Buszaky.

Reading went close to taking the lead just before the break with Radek Cerny saving Noel Hunt's close-range header.

QPR were also lucky to survive two good penalty appeals while Kalifa Cisse's header almost grabbed the win for Reading late on.

Reading manager Steve Coppell:
"A 0-0 draw is not the end of the world. As people famously say, we can extract the positives. We tried to win the game.

"We can criticise some of the things we did but as long as I have that kind of effort every game I won't be too disappointed."

QPR caretaker manager Gareth Ainsworth:
"There are discussions about the team and discussions about individual players.

"Flavio has put a lot of money in the club and he wants to know how his investments are going.

"Already we have made a point that we are going to be meeting regularly, not just with Flavio but with the other people who have put their money in the club.

"I have the final input on who goes out there and talk my way through the meetings justifying every player. But with a performance like that today the team picks itself, which is a great problem to have."

Reading: Hahnemann, Rosenior, Bikey, Ingimarsson, Armstrong, Kebe (Long 80), Gunnarsson (Harper 73), Karacan (Cisse 73), Stephen Hunt, Noel Hunt, Doyle.
Subs Not Used: Andersen, Kelly.

Booked: Rosenior.

QPR: Cerny, Leigertwood, Stewart, Hall, Connolly, Buzsaky, Mahon, Rowlands, Cook, Di Carmine (Blackstock 60), Parejo (Balanta 86).
Subs Not Used: Delaney, Tommasi, Cole.

Booked: Parejo.

Att: 20,571

Ref: Chris Foy (Merseyside)

Kulshaw72RFC

by Kulshaw72RFC » 25 Oct 2018 09:49

Old Man Andrews On this day in 2008 we played out a cracking 0-0 draw with QPR.

Reading 0-0 QPR 25th October 2008

Reading and QPR played out a goalless draw in Saturday's Championship match.

QPR, who scked manager Iain Dowie on Friday, forced good second-half saves from Marcus Hahnemann through Daniel Parejo and Akos Buszaky.

Reading went close to taking the lead just before the break with Radek Cerny saving Noel Hunt's close-range header.

QPR were also lucky to survive two good penalty appeals while Kalifa Cisse's header almost grabbed the win for Reading late on.

Reading manager Steve Coppell:
"A 0-0 draw is not the end of the world. As people famously say, we can extract the positives. We tried to win the game.

"We can criticise some of the things we did but as long as I have that kind of effort every game I won't be too disappointed."

QPR caretaker manager Gareth Ainsworth:
"There are discussions about the team and discussions about individual players.

"Flavio has put a lot of money in the club and he wants to know how his investments are going.

"Already we have made a point that we are going to be meeting regularly, not just with Flavio but with the other people who have put their money in the club.

"I have the final input on who goes out there and talk my way through the meetings justifying every player. But with a performance like that today the team picks itself, which is a great problem to have."

Reading: Hahnemann, Rosenior, Bikey, Ingimarsson, Armstrong, Kebe (Long 80), Gunnarsson (Harper 73), Karacan (Cisse 73), Stephen Hunt, Noel Hunt, Doyle.
Subs Not Used: Andersen, Kelly.

Booked: Rosenior.

QPR: Cerny, Leigertwood, Stewart, Hall, Connolly, Buzsaky, Mahon, Rowlands, Cook, Di Carmine (Blackstock 60), Parejo (Balanta 86).
Subs Not Used: Delaney, Tommasi, Cole.

Booked: Parejo.

Att: 20,571

Ref: Chris Foy (Merseyside)

WHAT

A

PFUCKING

INCREDIBLE

TEAM.

Chris Armstrong was on of our best LBs of recent times IMHO. I hope he is okay. What a great bloke.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 25 Oct 2018 09:54

Maybe we just don't have enough Icelanders in the team? Anyone know how the Andressons are developing?

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 25 Oct 2018 10:17

Look at QPR's team as well - some absolute quality there. Akos Buszaky!

Kulshaw72RFC

by Kulshaw72RFC » 25 Oct 2018 10:28

I just put that team on my left hand computer screen at work and the current team on my right hand moniter and just started uncontrollably weeping.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 25 Oct 2018 10:30

On this day in 2003 we lost a Reading legend Stevie Death.

grey_squirrel

by grey_squirrel » 25 Oct 2018 12:06

Kulshaw72RFC I just put that team on my left hand computer screen at work and the current team on my right hand moniter and just started uncontrollably weeping.

Really?????

Despite this being only 2 years after the 106 team, there is plenty of shlt in there. Rosenior, Cisse, Noel Hunt, Bikey, Karacan. No better than some of what we have today.........

The 1985/6 team however is a completely different matter. This oozed pure class and commitment all over the pitch.

Kulshaw72RFC

by Kulshaw72RFC » 25 Oct 2018 12:25

grey_squirrel
Kulshaw72RFC I just put that team on my left hand computer screen at work and the current team on my right hand moniter and just started uncontrollably weeping.

Really?????

Despite this being only 2 years after the 106 team, there is plenty of shlt in there. Rosenior, Cisse, Noel Hunt, Bikey, Karacan. No better than some of what we have today.........

The 1985/6 team however is a completely different matter. This oozed pure class and commitment all over the pitch.

Stupid statement of the year award goes to you.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 25 Oct 2018 13:01

windermereROYAL On this day in 2003 we lost a Reading legend Stevie Death.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 25 Oct 2018 13:06

Chris Armstrong was on of our best LBs of recent times IMHO. I hope he is okay. What a great bloke.

popped in to say this.

----

I got a few games last season and that’s something that I thought I would never be able to do, that was an amazing feeling,” Armstrong admitted.

I’m just thankful that I got those few games and managed to step out onto the Madejski Stadium pitch for the fans.

I loved every time I played for Reading from that first season I came here in 2008.

I just love playing and I had a decent debut season.

I have my player-of-the-season trophy at home and that means a lot to me.

I unfortunately never really managed to get back after that, but that’s life, isn’t it? You just have to get on with it."

413 posts