138 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Ipswich Town (h) sponsored by Orlando Sa

by Sutekh » 06 Nov 2018 10:13

When : Saturday, 10th November 2018, 3pm
Where : Madejski Stadium, Reading, RG2 0FL
Capacity : 24,161

So some respite has wafted its way across Mr Clement after managing to successfully fend off an attack from Bristol City – although the predilection for conceding as many goals as possible in the most schoolboy manner in games is starting to get rather alarming.

This time Reading get to play a team below them, which, in itself, is no mean achievement seeing as technically Ipswich is the only one!

And that is surprising in itself. Ipswich are the perennial mid table Championship that may occasionally flirt at the top end or the bottom end during the course of a season but generally are always out of anything in either direction. This time though something horrible has happened and they find themselves slightly adrift at the bottom with 1 win from 17 games in all competitions (including being dumped out of the League cup by Exeter first time out).

That solitary win though did arrive at Swansea City so this is not a mob that Reading - or the fans - should in anyway underestimate – particularly as their new manager has only just arrived and therefore one would presume that the proverbial positive reaction is going to be just round the corner for them. Let’s hope that if there is it doesn’t start on Saturday.

Reading’s injury woe continues, as it has for every game for the last 18 plus months. In addition to the standard missing names Meite, is now a major doubt (and I would say unlikely to make it), while Bod and Jaakkola are definitely out. McShane is reported as fully fit again while Clement and Popa are expected back in training.

This isn’t going to be easy. Remember April when a similarly **** Ipswich team rolled into town and Reading decided to turn their ineptitude up to political party leader level. One hopes that PC will use that cr@pfest to somehow instil some sort of revenge feeling amongst the players.

Referee

The name’s Bond, Darren Bond.

Previously with Mr Bond

15 Sep 18 > Preston North End 2-3 Reading
03 Apr 18 > Aston Villa 3-0 Reading
20 Jan 17 > Reading 0-1 Brentford
30 Nov 17 > Reading 3-0 Barnsley
11 Feb 17 > Reading 0-0 Barnsley
13 Aug 16 > Wolverhampton Wanderers 2-0 Reading
14 Mar 15 > Watford 4-1 Reading
30 Aug 14 > Middlesbrough 0-1 Reading

Historically

There have been 58 previous league games between Reading and Ipswich and generally it's the standard "home team rules the roost".

This particular game is therefore the 30th league visit from the "Tractor Boys" and previously there have been 15 Reading wins, 9 Ipswich wins and 5 draws (all by 1-1) to show for the previous efforts. Goals for and against though are quite close with 45 scored and 43 conceded thanks to several home thrashings amongst the 9 defeats.

How to follow the game

1. Get a ticket and travel
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use an iFollow subscription
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

Kulshaw72RFC

Re: MATCHWATCH : Ipswich Town (h) sponsored by Orlando Sa

by Kulshaw72RFC » 06 Nov 2018 10:15

This is a KEY 6 pointer

Ipswich are awful, although could that be because of their now departed manager? They will be up for this for sure!

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 06 Nov 2018 10:17

I take heart from the fact Ipswich couldn't beat Preston at home on Saturday with Preston's striker in goal for them for 30 minutes. I think we will be more than ok this Saturday, early goal goes in and I can see us getting 3 or 4.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 Nov 2018 10:20

we really must beat them. We've a nasty month of fixtures coming up. Another massive game for PC

Reading4eva
Hob Nob Regular

by Reading4eva » 06 Nov 2018 10:30

Biggest thing we could gain from this match is momentum which we haven't had so far this season. A second win on the spin and the confidence will flow back in

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 06 Nov 2018 10:32

Reading4eva Biggest thing we could gain from this match is momentum which we haven't had so far this season. A second win on the spin and the confidence will flow back in

Sorry are you referring to Reading or Bournemouth? Could you make it clear in your posts please?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 06 Nov 2018 10:34

I can't picture a more clear fixture that will end in a loss for us than this one.

It literally has everything going for us apart from not having a fully fit first 11.

-------------------Walker
Yiadom--O'Shea---Moore--Blackett
-------------------Bacuna
--------------Kelly-------Swift
McCleary------------------------Barrow
------------------Baldock

Mannone/Jaakkola?
Gunter
Ilori
Rinomhota
Sims
Meyler?
McNulty

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 06 Nov 2018 10:45

NewCorkSeth I can't picture a more clear fixture that will end in a loss for us than this one.

It literally has everything going for us apart from not having a fully fit first 11.

Mannone/Jaakkola?
Gunter
Ilori
Rinomhota
Sims
Meyler?
McNulty

Can't drop Rinhomota after his display on Saturday surely? Would send out a really bad message if the MOTM in the last game is dropped.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 Nov 2018 10:46

Aluko will be on the bench whether we want him there or not

Slightly concerned by how small the team is, if Meite isn't fit. I reckon he'll get patched up to play

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 06 Nov 2018 10:50

Old Man Andrews
NewCorkSeth I can't picture a more clear fixture that will end in a loss for us than this one.

Mannone/Jaakkola?
Gunter
Ilori
Rinomhota
Sims
Meyler?
McNulty

Can't drop Rinhomota after his display on Saturday surely? Would send out a really bad message if the MOTM in the last game is dropped.

Admittedly I haven't finished watching the game. He had a good first half for sure but my thinking was Clement is unlikely to overwhelm Rinomhota by chucking him in at the deep end. I expect he will be gradually introduced.

Of course I could be talking bollocks..

Besides he was only voted MOTM by the excitable fans who love "one of our own". Kelly was statistically the best player on the pitch, Bacuna is invaluable atm and Swift is, simply put, the player most likely to create chances from the centre of the pitch.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 06 Nov 2018 10:54

be amazed if he changes the midfield. Not that they were all that imo, but he'll keep changes to a minimum I'm sure

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 06 Nov 2018 10:55

NewCorkSeth
Old Man Andrews

Mannone/Jaakkola?
Gunter
Ilori
Rinomhota
Sims
Meyler?
McNulty

Admittedly I haven't finished watching the game. He had a good first half for sure but my thinking was Clement is unlikely to overwhelm Rinomhota by chucking him in at the deep end. I expect he will be gradually introduced.

Besides he was only voted MOTM by the excitable fans who love "one of our own". Kelly was statistically the beat player on the pitch, Bacuna is invaluable atm and Swift is,simply put, the player most likely to create chances from the centre of the pitch.

I think when you take into account it was his first league start, quality of opposition and importance of the game Rinhomota's display deserved the MOTM award. It was a very decent start to his Reading career.

I really don't like Swift and Kelly in the team together, they are both lightweight and do very little defensively. I think Rinhomota can put a tackle in and will offer a bit of support to Bacuna. Ipswich will no doubt pack the midfield on Saturday against us so I'd like us to have someone not afraid to put himself about in it.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 06 Nov 2018 11:24

-----------------------------Walker
Gunter---------O'Shea--------------Moore------------Blackett
----------------------------Bacuna--------------------------
---------------Rinomhota---------Swift
Mccleary------------------------------------------------------Baldock
-----------------------------Meite

Jaakkola
Ilori
Yiadom
Kelly
Aluko
Barrow
Mcnulty

Kelly/Swift would do, think Swift has just about outperformed Kelly this season but ultimately Kelly was MOTM on Saturday. Pick two names out of a hat for the full back positions, none of them can defend so it really doesn't matter, opted for Blackett because he's by far the best attacking option. If Meite unavailable, swap with Baldock and put Barrow in. Wouldn't be surprised if Sims wasn't here beyond January, hasn't done enough albeit with a limited amount of game time

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 06 Nov 2018 11:28

Old Man Andrews
NewCorkSeth
Old Man Andrews

Besides he was only voted MOTM by the excitable fans who love "one of our own". Kelly was statistically the beat player on the pitch, Bacuna is invaluable atm and Swift is,simply put, the player most likely to create chances from the centre of the pitch.

I think when you take into account it was his first league start, quality of opposition and importance of the game Rinhomota's display deserved the MOTM award. It was a very decent start to his Reading career.

I really don't like Swift and Kelly in the team together, they are both lightweight and do very little defensively. I think Rinhomota can put a tackle in and will offer a bit of support to Bacuna. Ipswich will no doubt pack the midfield on Saturday against us so I'd like us to have someone not afraid to put himself about in it.

If Ipswich pack the midfield wouldn't it make more sense to have Swift, who is arguably the best player we have in terms of close control, on the pitch? He can pick passes out better than most and I would argue we need experience more than anything for this match.

Bacuna is obviously untouchable for the foreseeable and Kelly produced his best performance in over a year so neither should be dropped. I would not be unhappy to see Rinomhota in there starting but tactically we might be better off with a player capable of turning defense to attack with 1 pass like Swift can.

Anyway. I guess I'm cool with either. I'll watch the second half tonight and get back to you.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 06 Nov 2018 11:56

Sutekh This time Reading get to play a team below them, which, in itself, is no mean achievement seeing as technically Ipswich is the only one!

:|

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 06 Nov 2018 16:56

Old Man Andrews I take heart from the fact Ipswich couldn't beat Preston at home on Saturday with Preston's striker in goal for them for 30 minutes. I think we will be more than ok this Saturday, early goal goes in and I can see us getting 3 or 4.

we're fucked. right?

26-10-06

by 26-10-06 » 06 Nov 2018 17:09

Sitting in the Royal Suite Hospitality - anyone ever sat in there? What's it like?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 06 Nov 2018 17:12

26-10-06 Sitting in the Royal Suite Hospitality - anyone ever sat in there? What's it like?

Only ever done 1871 one, was very impressed and will be doing it again this year for my uncle's 60th.

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 06 Nov 2018 17:18

I really would like to see McNulty and Baldock up front. So either 4-4-2 or 5-3-2 with wing backs i guess, and having the three in midfield will allow us to compete with Ipswich who will pack there midfield i guess.

Walker
O Shea Moore Ilori
Yiadom Blackett
Bacuna Rinamota Kelly
Baldock McNulty

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 06 Nov 2018 17:44

stealthpapes
Old Man Andrews I take heart from the fact Ipswich couldn't beat Preston at home on Saturday with Preston's striker in goal for them for 30 minutes. I think we will be more than ok this Saturday, early goal goes in and I can see us getting 3 or 4.

we're fucked. right?

Preston's scorer, Gallagher, was a 2nd half sub as well.

138 posts