21%
Other (comment)
3%

Total votes: 63
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: If Jokanovic became available

by Hound » 06 Nov 2018 18:09

Well wouldn’t agree with the framing of the question, but....

If Clement and both Jokanovic were sacked after this coming eeekend, it’d be madness not to strongly consider him

2 clubs to promotion in 3 full seasons, the other time failing in the playoffs. His record in the champ is superb, and the ‘Stam mark 2’ is utter nonsense - they play nothing like that Stam side did

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 06 Nov 2018 18:26

Wasn't meant to be a jab - thought it was a fair question. Jokanovic has a great Championship pedigree, hardly 'another foreign manager' in the Stam mould.

Anyway, honoured to be welcomed into HNA? infamy. So this is what it feels like to be beloved.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Nov 2018 20:13

I like Clement. I'd like to see him do well here. I think there's a decent chance he will do at least ok in the long run if given a chance even if it means relegation first.

But if he got sacked, as Hound says, if Jokanovic was available he'd be a strong contender.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 06 Nov 2018 21:13

I quite liked the idea but I think he would be a gamble. This squad is poor and low on confidence, and needs a much stronger personality. I'm not sure he has impressed me enough during Fulham's woes.

glass half full
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you see someone without a smile..... give him one of yours!

by glass half full » 06 Nov 2018 21:20

Ascotexgunner I quite liked the idea but I think he would be a gamble. This squad is poor and low on confidence, and needs a much stronger personality. I'm not sure he has impressed me enough during Fulham's woes.

He could bring Sessegnon with him....

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 06 Nov 2018 21:25

glass half full
Ascotexgunner I quite liked the idea but I think he would be a gamble. This squad is poor and low on confidence, and needs a much stronger personality. I'm not sure he has impressed me enough during Fulham's woes.

He could bring Sessegnon with him....

Haha.....you could guarantee he would be the new Aluko.

Eaststandman

by Eaststandman » 06 Nov 2018 21:27

Chopping and changing managers gives lazy, good for nothing players more overpaid time. Stick with PC and let them know that the clock ticks for them and not the manager. They need to know that for them it's move up or move over!

Brain Traysers

by Brain Traysers » 06 Nov 2018 23:27

Jokanovic has been successful in this league with 2 clubs that have spent a shed load (or avoided doing so due to dodgy multi club ownership arrangements).

All from transfermarkt
Watford 2014/15 - £8m spend, +8 loanees, +8 free transfers and no major player sales

Fulham 2016/17 £23m spend (despite the previous manager spending £8m the previous year) +4 loanees +1 free transfer (Aluko). Mostly offset by combined £21m incoming for Ross McCormack, Mitroglou and Stekelenburg.
Fulham 2017/18 £20m spend +7 loanees and 1 free transfer. Mostly offset by £16.4m player sales (of which reported £6.75m was Aluko)

Considering that doesn't cover wages, agents fees or loan fees (in the most part), and we already have a bloated squad on relatively high wages (relegation battle team on mid table wages), I don't think we could offer Jokanovic the financial support to continually overhaul squads that he has been used to. Nor do we have many saleable assets to generate a decent fund. Add in a squad that is already very light in real attacking talent (despite being 2nd top scorers in the league, our underlying numbers rank pretty poorly), then I don't see what he would have to work with, especially given he has shown a reluctance to change his attacking mindset when jumping from Champ to PL, despite a net spend of £94m in the summer + 5 loanees.

Kulshaw72RFC

by Kulshaw72RFC » 06 Nov 2018 23:42

We are 2nd highest scorers in the league :shock: ?!

Brain Traysers

by Brain Traysers » 07 Nov 2018 00:05

Kulshaw72RFC We are 2nd highest scorers in the league :shock: ?!

oh - no not at all it seems... Fake news on my part, apols. We rank 10th overall... (not sure where I got 2nd from)

FWIW only 3 teams (WBA, Preston and Sheff Weds) have had higher scoring games than the 3.1 goals we average.

Either way, on a xG basis we are 21st - we have been surprisingly efficient in front of goal

Kulshaw72RFC

by Kulshaw72RFC » 07 Nov 2018 04:19

Brain Traysers

oh - no not at all it seems... Fake news on my part, apols. We rank 10th overall... (not sure where I got 2nd from)

FWIW only 3 teams (WBA, Preston and Sheff Weds) have had higher scoring games than the 3.1 goals we average.

Either way, on a xG basis we are 21st - we have been surprisingly efficient in front of goal

We are 10th highest scorers in the league  ?!

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 07 Nov 2018 08:54

Kulshaw72RFC
Brain Traysers

Yes.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 08 Nov 2018 10:05

Kulshaw72RFC
Brain Traysers

Not really that surprising, don't think we have struggled in front of goal at all this year. It is letting them in at the other end which is an issue.

We have only failed to score in 4 league games this season (5 if you include Watford).

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 08 Nov 2018 12:19

Hendo
Not really that surprising, don't think we have struggled in front of goal at all this year. It is letting them in at the other end which is an issue.

We have only failed to score in 4 league games this season (5 if you include Watford).

We should cash in on Moore asap.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 Nov 2018 13:23

saw Something on Sky saying we were bottom of the table in XG goal difference over the season.

Don't think Fulham really spent that much tbh, and they were useless when he took over

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 08 Nov 2018 15:03

Hound saw Something on Sky saying we were bottom of the table in XG goal difference over the season.

Don't think Fulham really spent that much tbh, and they were useless when he took over

If you want a closer look at the money, the Price Of Football is always a good bet. the link below is the look he took at them after the 2016/2017 figures came out, back last April

http://priceoffootball.com/tag/fulham/

Over the last five years Fulham have bought players for £101 million and generated sales of £63 million.

So I wouldn't say gazillions. But more than us.

They also pay more than we do - nearly a third more in 2016/2017 (£37million as compared to £28million).

Also worth considering is that in the season when Jakonovic was appointed, they were 12th when Kit Symons was sacked, but ended up in 20th place. so they were middle of the road when he took over, and he made them considerably worse, before they got better.

By that reckoning, Jakonovic would relegate us for sure, and I certainly can't see him hanging around to get us promoted.

thanks, but no thanks.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 08 Nov 2018 15:20

muirinho Also worth considering is that in the season when Jakonovic was appointed, they were 12th when Kit Symons was sacked, but ended up in 20th place. so they were middle of the road when he took over, and he made them considerably worse, before they got better.

By that reckoning, Jakonovic would relegate us for sure, and I certainly can't see him hanging around to get us promoted.

thanks, but no thanks.

I see where you're going with this one muirinho - Jokanovic is a big fat fraud? Thought so.

Fulham will do well to aim for mid-table in the Championship next season.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 09 Nov 2018 09:49

Hound saw Something on Sky saying we were bottom of the table in XG goal difference over the season.

We are down there but all that really means is when we give up a chance it is a bloody good one (or letting teams have a lot of shots) but we are taking a larger percentage of the chances we are making.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Nov 2018 09:24

Stranded

We are down there but all that really means is when we give up a chance it is a bloody good one (or letting teams have a lot of shots) but we are taking a larger percentage of the chances we are making.

I'm always rather suspicious about expected goals. It seems a bit too faddy and unable to take account of quite important variables.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 10 Nov 2018 12:18

Snowflake Royal
Stranded

I'm always rather suspicious about expected goals. It seems a bit too faddy and unable to take account of quite important variables.

It's just so. What's the word?... American.
Last edited by sandman on 10 Nov 2018 12:23, edited 1 time in total.