BFTG Sheffield

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: BFTG Sheffield

by PieEater » 08 Dec 2018 21:27

The Jazz had been booked before the KO time was changed so they decided to section off half the bar and then threaten people to leave if happened to have spent £5 on a pint and not left within 5 mins of you getting served.

A lesson in how to be heavy handed for no particular reason. The first time I've seen Tangos in the bar, they were threatening people with eviction from the ground because they hadn't drunk up in time.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 Dec 2018 21:35

West Stand Man Oh for a creative midfield player who can, calmly, pick out a pass and deliver it right to the perfect place. You know, a bit like Ollie Norwood. What if we had a player like that in our team.... oh, wait .......

Yeah but he left for a better side in Brighton. Got a decent price for him at the time as well

And to be fair he hardly set the world alight the season before he got sold. In fact he was awful for most of it

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 08 Dec 2018 21:35

Another TV embarrassment , mind you with Chelski v Man Qatarcity on the other side I expect the the viewing audience for our so called game was pitifully low. All about survival now till some so called saviour manager , who's been sacked before for being shite comes to our rescue.

retro royal

by retro royal » 08 Dec 2018 21:59

The team are simply not fit enough, they have obviously been pacing themselves through games this season, today up to 60 minutes we pressed well albeit not a lot of end product, maybe pushed a bit too hard but somewhere in between, for the first time in years Gunter wanted to take a quick throw in, so it has been coming from management.

Coaching has been a weak link, all driven from the manager, I really think we missed Steven Reid last season and a modern first class coach this, maybe Clement was doing both, the squad is poor, you can online shine a turd so much. Just hope the board get it right.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 08 Dec 2018 22:10

Norfolk Royal
Bristol Paul Second half in particular was pathetic and I just don’t think we are as fit as we should be.

Some of ththe passing, awful, movement awful, and desire to win non existent. If we don’t get the right manager and team, we are going down, and sadly absolutely deserve to. Just saw on Sky points gained since August 2017, only Bolton have a lower total, and other than the weird Stam playoff season where most people thought we were lucky, have managed a single season greater than 50 odd point scoring in the last five.

Dave Kitson was one of th sky pundits, thinks we will go down unless the right manager with championship experience comes in. I agree.

Yes, Kitson pretty much nailed it. He correctly noted that most successful teams in the championship are aggressive, hard working, and utilise quick, short passing. None of the things that Reading do, he noted.

Kitson is spot on. As is Bristol Royal this team has got less and less fit. They struggle to maintain a decent 20 minutes of any intensity. Second half they’re sluggish, generally petering out.

The one exception was the game before Clement was sacked where they finished strongly.

This team is unfit and lacks any professionalism. These second half performances are disgraceful.

Thinking about it now, I’d rather we dropped Loader and Rinomhota immediately as they will pick up the appalling lack of professional pride that is ingrained in this team.

We are going to need their lack of cynicism next season in division one.

Barney
Hob Nob Regular

by Barney » 08 Dec 2018 22:13

Quite simply, the worst bunch of players we have had here for 20 years, since... (Tommy Burns, end of Elm Park, relegation, third tier).

If any of the players read this. GOOD. You are hopeless, pathetic, woeful, shocking, lazy, useless. And I am being kind. Horrendous.

It is not a case of who do we want as manager, it is a case of what poor sod can we lure into the club to inherit this bunch of toss. Hats off to whoever takes this task on. The players are an absolute joke. Hideous. Ye gods, how can these so-called professionals sleep at night.
Although not possible, I would love it if we could shift two thirds of the squad in January. Most of the current players, I would be happy to never ever see again. Utter bloody drivel.

Brain Traysers

by Brain Traysers » 08 Dec 2018 22:20

I thought to give them credit Sheffield were a pretty good team, set up in a good way by a manager getting the best out of his squad.

They played with so much width (was it just me or did they make the pitch look huge?), which created space everywhere - then they had the passing ability to use that space, spearheaded by Norwood. McGoldrick was a real threat in the box from well delivered crosses, supported by Washington/Sharp (any of these three would walk into our team), and they had a big team attacking well-taken set pieces. Defensively they got numbers back when we slowly moved the ball forward, and I couldn't see us breaking them down in open play at any point. Especially because, as others have said, we weren't able to string any passes together.

Its notable that after going 1 down with 10 minutes to go, we had the ball in the final third only twice, once for no more than a second (Gunter collecting a long ball down the left, immediately cleared), and the other a cross from the left that led to a clash of heads.

For xG fans - over the whole game we generated 0.2 xG + 0.2 nsxG. Both are embarrassingly low. In this round of fixtures, the second lowest xG + nsxG was 1.1, and for home teams it was 1.6

I'm willing to write it off a good team beating a injury hit weak team. That said, Marshall needs to immediately cut out the poor mistakes - sloppy passing and set piece gifts; Rinomhota was in possession and ran into trouble gifting a free kick 8 mins in and two freebie corners in the second half from Blackett and Jaakkola.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 Dec 2018 22:25

leon
Norfolk Royal
Bristol Paul Second half in particular was pathetic and I just don’t think we are as fit as we should be.

Some of ththe passing, awful, movement awful, and desire to win non existent. If we don’t get the right manager and team, we are going down, and sadly absolutely deserve to. Just saw on Sky points gained since August 2017, only Bolton have a lower total, and other than the weird Stam playoff season where most people thought we were lucky, have managed a single season greater than 50 odd point scoring in the last five.

Dave Kitson was one of th sky pundits, thinks we will go down unless the right manager with championship experience comes in. I agree.

Yes, Kitson pretty much nailed it. He correctly noted that most successful teams in the championship are aggressive, hard working, and utilise quick, short passing. None of the things that Reading do, he noted.

Kitson is spot on. As is Bristol Royal this team has got less and less fit. They struggle to maintain a decent 20 minutes of any intensity. Second half they’re sluggish, generally petering out.

The one exception was the game before Clement was sacked where they finished strongly.

This team is unfit and lacks any professionalism. These second half performances are disgraceful.

Thinking about it now, I’d rather we dropped Loader and Rinomhota immediately as they will pick up the appalling lack of professional pride that is ingrained in this team.

We are going to need their lack of cynicism next season in division one.

We finished strongly against Ipswich (equaliser), Leeds (missed pen), Stoke (equaliser) and to an extent Wigan (best chance in last 5)

Not sure fitness is the issue tbh

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 08 Dec 2018 22:30

Timid. Lightweight. Inept. Ponderous.An utterly miserable experience.
Why oh why are we so slow to move forward with the ball? Why the hell do we constantly play the ball back and forth across our penalty box? Why does Jaakkola throw the ball out to Bacuna putting him into trouble? Why does Ilori try and play precise and short passes out of defence that put us into trouble? Why do we lose practically every oxf*rd header from a goal kick often without even putting a challenge in?

Jaakkola. 5. Flapped at a corner, brainless distribution at times.
Yiadom. 5 Decent first half. Awful in the second. No end product when he pushes forward
Ilori. 4. Another poor performance from a player who lacks a football brain and got caught out of position yet again
Blackett. 5 That pass back. Dear God.
Gunter. 6. He was average and our MoTM
Rinomhota. 5 Tracked back well but error strewn performance
Bacuna. 5 Several hospital passes
McCleary. 4 Virtually anonymous
Sims. 4 Started well with a couple of flicks but downhill from there. Crossing was awful
Loader. 6 Several decent runs from deep
McNulty. 5 Mostly ineffective but one good cross into the box

Baldock 4 Anonymous but for the OG
Barrow. 4. Did next to nothing
Aluko Not on long enough

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 08 Dec 2018 23:16

ffs, sort it out Ian

Odds closing in

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 08 Dec 2018 23:18

Played well and had the best of the first half. United nullified us and dominated the second with the inevitable late capitulation.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 08 Dec 2018 23:18

Simply reinforced my view that Clement wasn't the problem. Removing him isn't going to change the direction of this season. Feel sorry for Marshall. Might as well have played the entire U23 team for the experience. Given the result.

Did the Sheffield United keeper even take a goal kick in the second half?

Today's shambles of a team would struggle against even some league 2 teams.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 08 Dec 2018 23:23

Maneki Neko Played well and had the best of the first half.

With no chances created. Totally meaningless.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 08 Dec 2018 23:25

A typical Clement team, playing like a Clement Team and getting a Clement team result. Thank f*ck he's gone before more damage was done to the squad. These players don't look fit enough....and he was supposed to be a world class coach. I get the feeling Darren Bent was right about him.
I'd hoped Marshal might have tried something a little different, but to be fair to him I think we have been left with a squad that's disjointed, bloated with sh!t sizewise, and very low on confidence.
Comical on here that some thought Clement was turning it around. That Sheffield team cost less than our defence apparently.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 08 Dec 2018 23:32

Ascotexgunner A typical Clement team, playing like a Clement Team and getting a Clement team result.

You have missed the performances before Clement took over.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 08 Dec 2018 23:35

To not have a single shot on target in 90 minutes at home against another Championship side is unforgivable. Players and coaching staff should be ashamed.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 08 Dec 2018 23:44

Lower West
Ascotexgunner A typical Clement team, playing like a Clement Team and getting a Clement team result.

To be fair to Stam you could see what he was trying to do.....introduce a style of football that in its first season got us to third but once we got found out he had no plan b. That was his limitation as a manager. With Clement, I have no idea what he was trying to achieve. We were screaming out for a left back this summer, so he buys another right back. With Clement is was mistake after mistake. Shocking selections and no idea how to break teams down.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 09 Dec 2018 00:04

Old Man Andrews To not have a single shot on target in 90 minutes at home against another Championship side is unforgivable. Players and coaching staff should be ashamed.

Never mind "on target", did we have an actual proper shot in the match, at all?

The BBC stats say we had six shots, but I'm really struggling to remember any of them.

I don't blame Marshall. The players seem to react to him the same way that schoolkids react to a supply teacher, treating it as a time to slack off.

Mentions of Kitson earlier in this thread remind me of the radio interview he did that was posted here a week or two ago. In that he was saying about how Reading signed a player in his day, who only seemed to care about the flash cars, the money, and acting the star, and Coppell got rid of him as soon as possible, as players like that are so bad for any squad. It feels like we've got nearly a whole squad of players like that, with appalling attitudes, and until they are gone, or at very least marginalised, it's going to be hard to turn things around.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 09 Dec 2018 00:09

tmesis
Old Man Andrews To not have a single shot on target in 90 minutes at home against another Championship side is unforgivable. Players and coaching staff should be ashamed.

Never mind "on target", did we have an actual proper shot in the match, at all?

The BBC stats say we had six shots, but I'm really struggling to remember any of them.

I don't blame Marshall. The players seem to react to him the same way that schoolkids react to a supply teacher, treating it as a time to slack off.

Mentions of Kitson earlier in this thread remind me of the radio interview he did that was posted here a week or two ago. In that he was saying about how Reading signed a player in his day, who only seemed to care about the flash cars, the money, and acting the star, and Coppell got rid of him as soon as possible, as players like that are so bad for any squad. It feels like we've got nearly a whole squad of players like that, with appalling attitudes, and until they are gone, or at very least marginalised, it's going to be hard to turn things around.

Gunter and Sims had attempts in the first half that were well wide. In the second half we shots that were blocked. In reality we didn’t create a single decent chance. Dismal.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 09 Dec 2018 00:22

Ascotexgunner
Lower West

To be fair to Stam you could see what he was trying to do.....introduce a style of football that in its first season got us to third but once we got found out he had no plan b.

Wasn't a flawless season. Main difference was Yanns positve goal contribution. Last season we only conceded 6 goals more but finished 17 places lower.

Same could be said for Clement. He identified the team's weaknessess. and attempted to remedy them. Midfield being key. Meyler hasn't worked out and Saeid has had the misfortune to be injured, so the jury's still out on him. Football managers no longer get a chance by owners.