New Manager

1436 posts
Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: New Manager

by Lower West » 08 Dec 2018 23:27

maffff I feel a little uneasy about Pardew given his history here, but he's done well setting foundations before. I'm just hoping we don't appoint a former Reading player/club legend (Murty or Parky), go back to Brian, or go any of Hughes, Zola or Hasselbaink (amongst a tonne of others who should have their CV shredded on receipt).

As long as the appointment is made for the right reasons. Doesn't matter what their background history is. Whatever tthe outcome of this season we need to stick with somebody and see the project through.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 09 Dec 2018 00:10

maffff Talking of Castro, I've been talking to Portuguese fans a bit today.

He is someone who's really dedicated to long term projects, and that's how he picks his clubs. He spent most of his career in Porto's academy building the foundations for some players that are starting to appear now: Rúben Neves, Dalot, André Silva, Paciência, Diogo Leite, etc. He then moved on to coach the He even coached the B team and had a brief caretaker spell of the A team of Porto. He then moved on to start his own career as a Head coach, in lower and mid table teams - Rio Ave, Chaves and now Vitória SC. Taking Chaves to 5th or 6th as a team that were expecting to be immediately relegated was huge. At each club he improved the coaching set-up and built something new, instilling a close knit mentality.

Seems it might be a bad time and position to join as he seems to take some time to get the defensive foundations in place and the style he plays takes time to implement - like Stam, a solid foundation based on strong defence and passing but much faster to transition to attack. He expects his players to be technical and especially creative in the attacking third. He's very good at getting mentalities sorted out at clubs that are struggling and very big on bringing players in from academies.

His philosophy in his own words is very interesting. Sum of the parts comes to mind.

https://www.lateralesquerdo.com/2018/04 ... is-castro/

"What we seek, that we train daily, is a collective game, of constant connection between lines, a reflection of our game ideology".

"I'm not a coach who's too rigid with the players, I like them to feel confident of themselves on the pitch. They know what's most important to me: the passing, the reception, the dribbling, not opening up the team too much, keeping the lines together, but that in the last third they feel free to improvise in a less rational way than the one we work on the other two thirds of the pitch. But, what I don't want is for you to get carried away by the emotion of being close to the opposing goal... That attraction to the opposing goal doesn't mischaracterize our way of playing... That attraction is sometimes disintegrating and the players focus too much on "me" and the goal, and I think the opposite, that we should always be collective and that we should all reach the goal together...".

https://www.lateralesquerdo.com/2018/04 ... seu-tempo/

The number one goal in the game, when it comes to high performance, is always to win. To increase the chances of achieving goal number one, there are paths and paths. Each context will dictate the path that you have the most chances of winning.

With the certainty that it will matter little to be competent in only one of the moments of the game, if there is no quality in the others.

The offensive organization will always be the most difficult moment to reach the goal. There is less space and there are more opponents. The teams that exacerbate their positional attack, do not guarantee by themselves greater possibilities to win the games, nor to lose them. As so many think it happens. In order to increase chances of winning, having more ball is also necessary to think the offensive organization with positions that help to connect the defensive transition, because otherwise, the game becomes even more difficult.

In Portugal, there are three teams off the radar of the top four teams, who have a really interesting football, taking into account what is the national reality, and the individual reality of their squads. Interesting because they choose the most difficult path, that of playing good football, that of trying to invade the opposing intersectoral spaces with the ball by the grass, they choose to follow the path of combining and dismantling opponents with an intelligent, connected and technical game.

Of the three, Desportivo de Chaves is the team that collectively ensures the greatest competence at all other times.

The quality of your positional attack game is one of the oases in a League where the point is expensive, and it is easier to guarantee it by giving up seeking to valorise assets.

If last season were countless players that gave or made return to the big, or big championships, this season may well be marked by the definitive explosion of Matheus Pereira. The Sporting player has been at a sensational level, and is another great beneficiary of the work and ideas of Luís Castro.

Sounds encouraging - a slightly more ambitious appointment to dovetail in with the Reading way.

Portuguese fans (of Vitória and a few journos) think it's pretty much a done deal. Expecting him on Monday to announce he's in talks with us - which would marry up with Howe saying we'd probably have someone in post mid-week.

He sounds a talented guy, but it would be incredibly hard to implement his plans in a badly struggling teams that's got no heart when he can't even speak English.

He might be exactly the right manager, at exactly the wrong time.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 09 Dec 2018 01:38

tmesis He sounds a talented guy, but it would be incredibly hard to implement his plans in a badly struggling teams that's got no heart when he can't even speak English.

I don't get this hang up, he speaks a little, but not fluent. Bielsa doesn't speak a lick of English, Pochettino didn't for 3 years... Mourinho was much worse than you'd expect for a long time.

Likewise, many successful players in England have barely, slowly or never mastered the language.

English is a considerably easier language to learn than Portuguese, he'd be tutored, he'd have staff who are bilingual, he'd have Ilori around who is bilingual. It's not the end of the world..

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 09 Dec 2018 01:47

maffff
tmesis He sounds a talented guy, but it would be incredibly hard to implement his plans in a badly struggling teams that's got no heart when he can't even speak English.

I don't get this hang up, he speaks a little, but not fluent. Bielsa doesn't speak a lick of English, Pochettino didn't for 3 years... Mourinho was much worse than you'd expect for a long time.

Likewise, many successful players in England have barely, slowly or never mastered the language.

English is a considerably easier language to learn than Portuguese, he'd be tutored, he'd have staff who are bilingual, he'd have Ilori around who is bilingual. It's not the end of the world..

Half the fcuking native speakers in this country can't even speak the language properly so don't see it being a problem.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 09 Dec 2018 01:51

maffff

It didn't take Pochettino 3 years to learn English :lol: i suppose he just didn't want his words to be misinterpreted

Understand your point though, let's be honest, how many British managers have been a success since 2013? Adkins, did OK but wasn't a success, Clarke was poor apart from a two month spell at the beginning of 2015-16 season, Mcdermott second time failed and Clement had the lowest % rate. Maybe looking abroad (trying to repeat Stam's first season) is more advantageous than going via the merry go round of managers like Bruce etc

First thing our new manager should do is have a massive clearout and that includes Moore, Swift, Barrow and Ilori, they could generate 20-25 million between them (somehow) which will give us funds to buy decent players. Only one of those four I'd keep is Moore, but let's be honest, we concede 2 goals most games with or without him. I'd also love to see Pelle Clement given another chance, I thought he was quality in his brief spell and pre season

Most important thing though is being patient whoever the new manager is, and no knee jerk reactions after a few losses

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 09 Dec 2018 09:40

URZZZZ
maffff

It didn't take Pochettino 3 years to learn English :lol: i suppose he just didn't want his words to be misinterpreted

Understand your point though, let's be honest, how many British managers have been a success since 2013? Adkins, did OK but wasn't a success, Clarke was poor apart from a two month spell at the beginning of 2015-16 season, Mcdermott second time failed and Clement had the lowest % rate. Maybe looking abroad (trying to repeat Stam's first season) is more advantageous than going via the merry go round of managers like Bruce etc

First thing our new manager should do is have a massive clearout and that includes Moore, Swift, Barrow and Ilori, they could generate 20-25 million between them (somehow) which will give us funds to buy decent players. Only one of those four I'd keep is Moore, but let's be honest, we concede 2 goals most games with or without him. I'd also love to see Pelle Clement given another chance, I thought he was quality in his brief spell and pre season

Most important thing though is being patient whoever the new manager is, and no knee jerk reactions after a few losses

I just don’t know who can sort this mess out. January needs to be a very busy month. Whoever takes charge is going to be under pressure from day one. I just hope that the new training regime doesn’t bring about the never ending injuries the squad has suffered over the past 15 months.
What a dreadful 2018 the club have had.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 09 Dec 2018 10:22

It’s all one big gigantic dollop of mess at the moment. The club have started to take action by clearing out behind the scenes and it’s going to be a long road back.

The target for this season is, basically, to acquire a minimum of 30 points from the remaking games to give themselves a fighting chance of staying up.

This will not be easy but there is talent in the squad and getting Moore, Bod, Eza & Meite back to being able to 0lay will only enhance the capabilities and strengths.

Short term won’t be pleasant. Rotherham away will be a battleground that I really think will be extremely difficult and a visit from Middlesbrough is a probable accident waiting to happen.

This period is therefore the probable best time to make a managerial change. Take a week to look at who is available and make the right decision - and at least we’re more confident that Nigel Howe will get it right.

Hopefully by Boxing Day the key injuries will have recovered and new bloke will be in and quickly assessing what’s needed in January. Get a couple of loans in then and perhaps Reading might have just enough to get themselves above the line and stay there.

So let’s hope Costa or whoever gets the posting works and gets the time to see it through and doesn’t get the old Spanish archer if the club gets relegated.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Dec 2018 10:27

tmesis
maffff Talking of Castro, I've been talking to Portuguese fans a bit today.

He is someone who's really dedicated to long term projects, and that's how he picks his clubs. He spent most of his career in Porto's academy building the foundations for some players that are starting to appear now: Rúben Neves, Dalot, André Silva, Paciência, Diogo Leite, etc. He then moved on to coach the He even coached the B team and had a brief caretaker spell of the A team of Porto. He then moved on to start his own career as a Head coach, in lower and mid table teams - Rio Ave, Chaves and now Vitória SC. Taking Chaves to 5th or 6th as a team that were expecting to be immediately relegated was huge. At each club he improved the coaching set-up and built something new, instilling a close knit mentality.

Seems it might be a bad time and position to join as he seems to take some time to get the defensive foundations in place and the style he plays takes time to implement - like Stam, a solid foundation based on strong defence and passing but much faster to transition to attack. He expects his players to be technical and especially creative in the attacking third. He's very good at getting mentalities sorted out at clubs that are struggling and very big on bringing players in from academies.

His philosophy in his own words is very interesting. Sum of the parts comes to mind.

https://www.lateralesquerdo.com/2018/04 ... is-castro/

"What we seek, that we train daily, is a collective game, of constant connection between lines, a reflection of our game ideology".

"I'm not a coach who's too rigid with the players, I like them to feel confident of themselves on the pitch. They know what's most important to me: the passing, the reception, the dribbling, not opening up the team too much, keeping the lines together, but that in the last third they feel free to improvise in a less rational way than the one we work on the other two thirds of the pitch. But, what I don't want is for you to get carried away by the emotion of being close to the opposing goal... That attraction to the opposing goal doesn't mischaracterize our way of playing... That attraction is sometimes disintegrating and the players focus too much on "me" and the goal, and I think the opposite, that we should always be collective and that we should all reach the goal together...".

https://www.lateralesquerdo.com/2018/04 ... seu-tempo/

The number one goal in the game, when it comes to high performance, is always to win. To increase the chances of achieving goal number one, there are paths and paths. Each context will dictate the path that you have the most chances of winning.

With the certainty that it will matter little to be competent in only one of the moments of the game, if there is no quality in the others.

The offensive organization will always be the most difficult moment to reach the goal. There is less space and there are more opponents. The teams that exacerbate their positional attack, do not guarantee by themselves greater possibilities to win the games, nor to lose them. As so many think it happens. In order to increase chances of winning, having more ball is also necessary to think the offensive organization with positions that help to connect the defensive transition, because otherwise, the game becomes even more difficult.

In Portugal, there are three teams off the radar of the top four teams, who have a really interesting football, taking into account what is the national reality, and the individual reality of their squads. Interesting because they choose the most difficult path, that of playing good football, that of trying to invade the opposing intersectoral spaces with the ball by the grass, they choose to follow the path of combining and dismantling opponents with an intelligent, connected and technical game.

Of the three, Desportivo de Chaves is the team that collectively ensures the greatest competence at all other times.

The quality of your positional attack game is one of the oases in a League where the point is expensive, and it is easier to guarantee it by giving up seeking to valorise assets.

If last season were countless players that gave or made return to the big, or big championships, this season may well be marked by the definitive explosion of Matheus Pereira. The Sporting player has been at a sensational level, and is another great beneficiary of the work and ideas of Luís Castro.

Sounds encouraging - a slightly more ambitious appointment to dovetail in with the Reading way.

Portuguese fans (of Vitória and a few journos) think it's pretty much a done deal. Expecting him on Monday to announce he's in talks with us - which would marry up with Howe saying we'd probably have someone in post mid-week.

He sounds a talented guy, but it would be incredibly hard to implement his plans in a badly struggling teams that's got no heart when he can't even speak English.

It all sounds very good. One of our major issues is a lack of cohesion and playing with purpose for the team. But then Rodgers big bumper book of tactics sounded good.

He'd be the fourth of our five most recent managers to have little or no championship managerial experience. And the Championship is a division that's frequently underestimated by players and managers alike who've not worked there or below in England.

Our squad is blighted with injuries and wasters. The last thing we need to do is go on yet another spending spree bloating up further and hiring yet more half-arsed idiots. We need to focus on shifting deadweight, cutting the wage bill and bringing in small numbers of ambitious players on the up who are used to winning.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 09 Dec 2018 11:39

Sounds like every other inexperienced 'coach' we've hired in recent years.
So the same dull outcome if we go with him

Would be nice to have a 'manager'

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 09 Dec 2018 11:55

John Madejski's Wallet Sounds like every other inexperienced 'coach' we've hired in recent years.

Indeed. We need someone who is able to organise and motivate.

Not sure someone who speaks no English and has no experience in this league is what this shower of shit needs right now.

(And don’t say Bielsa etc etc he’s supremely experienced, radical and Leeds we’re in a totally different position to where we are now)

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 09 Dec 2018 12:27

leon
John Madejski's Wallet Sounds like every other inexperienced 'coach' we've hired in recent years.

Not sure someone who speaks no English and has no experience in this league is what this shower of shit needs right now.

(And don’t say Bielsa etc etc he’s supremely experienced, radical and Leeds we’re in a totally different position to where we are now)

Mrs leon speaks English. Mrs leon has experience of this League. Now is the time for Mrs l to step up.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Dec 2018 13:00

Zip
leon

Mrs leon speaks English. Mrs leon has experience of this League. Now is the time for Mrs l to step up.

Is Leon married to an ex-manager who's had a sex change? Because otherwise this is DD level stupid.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 09 Dec 2018 13:01

maffff

The level of English is important. Even with an interpreter, things can be lost in translation, meanings, the tone etc. The interpreter has to be able to covey they exact message.

As for other managers, the better the players, the easier it is to train them. It's been said many times that with the top players, you have to only tell players things once, and the take on board the information, and put it into practice. With lesser players it takes longer. They forget. they tend to trust their (often poorer) instincts, and repeatedly revert to what they know and are used to, rather than what they have been told.

for a player though, you can often just do your own thing, and providing your natural game isn't completely at odds with how the manager/team needs you to play, it'll work out.

I've no doubt he'd have learned English to a decent level by the end of the season. I'm just less confident he'd be able to change the way we play in that time, especially with the language handicap and the need to learn how this league works - and that could be fatal to our chances of staying up.

Now, if we are going to say OK, this is a long term plan, and we are prepared to accept relegation as part of the rebuilding process, then that's fine, but it's a heck of a risk.

I do actually like the sound of the guy, but I think whoever comes in will need at least two years to sort out the mess at the club, starting with shipping out the "bad apples" from the squad as soon as possible. Even if we can't sell them, put them on gardening leave, anything, just to get the away from the rest of the squad.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 09 Dec 2018 13:26

Snowflake Royal
Zip
leon

Is Leon married to an ex-manager who's had a sex change? Because otherwise this is DD level stupid.

I genuinely don’t know what to say about this post.

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 09 Dec 2018 14:19

leon

Rangers are doing alright with Gerrard... :D

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 09 Dec 2018 14:23

Ian has drifted out to 33s. Looks like this one ain't happening lads :(

Steve_Upper_West

by Steve_Upper_West » 09 Dec 2018 14:58

We need Harry........................... HOUDINI :wink:

Eaststandman

by Eaststandman » 09 Dec 2018 15:56

Any managerial appointment would presumably include, low, medium or high risk strategy. What l don't quite understand is how anybody, other than an experienced championship manager could be considered, unless the strategy is sh@t or bust!?

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 09 Dec 2018 16:05

Steve_Upper_West We need Harry........................... HOUDINI :wink:

"Niko, Crouchy, Jermaine. pack your bags. We're leaving the jungle, we're off to Reading. READING, yeah, 40 grand a week. 5 million after tax. Triffic"

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 09 Dec 2018 16:56

leon
Snowflake Royal
Zip

I genuinely don’t know what to say about this post.

Me neither.

1436 posts