413 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: On this day

by Sutekh » 08 Feb 2019 14:23

genome
Hendo
genome
A certain Mr McAnuff scored for Wimbledon that day.

Yep, and it remains, to this day, the only game I have ever left early.

Leigerwood was also in the team IIRC and it was on Boxing Day.

The 0-4 against Ipswich last season is the only game I've ever left early.

Most people these days leave so early they don't even arrive.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 11 Feb 2019 08:59

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 11 Feb 2019 09:08

:lol:

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 11 Feb 2019 10:41

genome
Hendo
genome
A certain Mr McAnuff scored for Wimbledon that day.

Yep, and it remains, to this day, the only game I have ever left early.

Leigerwood was also in the team IIRC and it was on Boxing Day.

The 0-4 against Ipswich last season is the only game I've ever left early.

I`ll raise you a Swansea this season, first time ever for me, I didn`t even leave early when Palace and Bristol rovers came here and scored 6.

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 11 Feb 2019 21:55

You know how nostalgia tricks you into thinking entire seasons were end-to-end, thrill a minute goal fests? Well, that Derby game was absolute shite.

The highlight was Uri Geller's half time entertainment. Anyone remember the coloured card mind trick?

Don't Panic

by Don't Panic » 12 Feb 2019 10:15

Jerry St Clair

You know how nostalgia tricks you into thinking entire seasons were end-to-end, thrill a minute goal fests? Well, that Derby game was absolute shite.

The highlight was Uri Geller's half time entertainment. Anyone remember the coloured card mind trick?

Was that where he came out afterwards and said the rain ruined it or something to that effect?

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 12 Feb 2019 16:20

Jerry St Clair

IT WAS NEVER *that* GAME

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 12 Feb 2019 16:22

There is a video of it on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCa7VUAiAYo&t=1m27s

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 12 Feb 2019 19:06

stealthpapes There is a video of it on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCa7VUAiAYo&t=1m27s

Had no idea SJM was involved. Disappointing that the video doesn't show the reveal after which derision poured down from the Southbank in a way only the Southbank could do.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 13 Feb 2019 02:41

The best bit about the cards was when a Derby player got sent off they all held there red cards. Made me chuckle, shame it never cought on. :D

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 14 Feb 2019 12:14

It's Valentine's Day, so who can forget our romantic night out in Swindon in 2002?

If memory serves, the game was moved at short notice for coverage on ITV Digital who were rewarded with a 0-0 draw and, happily, went bust pretty quickly after. They placed the temporary TV studio on scaffolding above the away end and chucking stuff at that was pretty much the only entertaining thing that happened that night.

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 14 Feb 2019 12:15

Some cracking fixtures through the years on Valentine's Day!

The Brentford turnaround of 2017
The Yakubu show against Derby 2015
The draw at Bramall Lane in 2006 - I remember being disappointed we missed that last minute penalty. Imagine being annoyed that we could only consolidate our 12 point lead at the top of the table :lol:

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 14 Feb 2019 14:45

Jerry St Clair It's Valentine's Day, so who can forget our romantic night out in Swindon in 2002?

If memory serves, the game was moved at short notice for coverage on ITV Digital who were rewarded with a 0-0 draw and, happily, went bust pretty quickly after. They placed the temporary TV studio on scaffolding above the away end and chucking stuff at that was pretty much the only entertaining thing that happened that night.

Wasn't there two red cards in that game?

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 15 Feb 2019 17:41

Hendo
Jerry St Clair It's Valentine's Day, so who can forget our romantic night out in Swindon in 2002?

Three, apparently. Including Sammy Igoe near the end.

Also notable that this the last time we played Swindon. Which means it's nearly 30 years since we played Aldershot, 17 since Swindon and 15 since we played Oxford. You'd need to be in your 30s to remember what a Reading local derby is like.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 15 Feb 2019 17:42

Jerry St Clair
Hendo

Also notable that this the last time we played Swindon. Which means it's nearly 30 years since we played Aldershot, 17 since Swindon and 15 since we played Oxford. You'd need to be in your 30s to remember what a Reading local derby is like.

Agreed, in my late 20s and I can remember the games, but don't exactly remember what the atmosphere/feeling was like leading up to the game.

For instance, I remember the oxf*rd game in the pouring rain, which finished 4-3 (i think...)

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 15 Feb 2019 20:31

la la la Rougier!

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 15 Feb 2019 23:19

Jackson Corner The best bit about the cards was when a Derby player got sent off they all held there red cards. Made me chuckle, shame it never cought on. :D

I was in the North Stand (in the beautiful seats) that day. Every single second half decision resulted in everyone around us waving the cards at the ref! The cards were more fun than the entire match (which was utterly shite!)

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 15 Feb 2019 23:52

Hendo
Jerry St Clair
Hendo

Agreed, in my late 20s and I can remember the games, but don't exactly remember what the atmosphere/feeling was like leading up to the game.

For instance, I remember the oxf*rd game in the pouring rain, which finished 4-3 (i think...)

Certainly remember the atmosphere around our last couple of visits to the Manor. Feisty would be the polite way of putting it.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 16 Feb 2019 09:18

Hendo
Jerry St Clair
Hendo

Then there's Wycombe...

Is the atmosphere really that much different to QPR or Brentford or Portsmouth or even Brighton?

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 19 Feb 2019 20:34

Sutekh Is the atmosphere really that much different to QPR or Brentford or Portsmouth or even Brighton?

Oxford away is the only time I've been advised by police to stay inside a pub for my own safety, while they surrounded it with dogs and horses to keep opposing fans at a distance.

413 posts