BFTG Leeds Home

151 posts
PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

BFTG Leeds Home

by PieEater » 12 Mar 2019 22:16

I left at half time

We weren't bad - Leeds were just better. The first was a well worked and well taken goal, Martinez had no chance. The second and third were wondergoals. Hernadez must be worth £30m if he can score goals like that.

Our threadbear scratch team offered very little.

It was cold..

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

Re: BFTG Leeds Home

by NewCorkSeth » 12 Mar 2019 22:27

They looked really quite good.

I notice not once did our commentators suggest Leeds could do with a holding midfielder. Obviously Leeds are a lot better at a possession based style of football than we are or indeed have been but it's amazing to me that they both scoff at the idea of a Reading team playing that style of football without some muscle in midfield but when Leeds do it they are full of (deserved) plaudits.

I thought we did alright considering the threadbare squad. Martinez cant really take much blame. Great goals.
Yiadom was a beast. I hope he plays like that for the rest of the season.
Baker was ok. Quiet but effective(ish)
Poor game from everyone else I think. Particularly Swift and Miazga who both *seemed* to lose the ball quite a bit.

If Leeds play like that more often than not it must be very fun being a Leeds fan right now.

That Alioski guy seem a right smug prick.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 12 Mar 2019 22:30

Pressed to oblivion and shoved off the ball easily. Only hope we had was Ayling getting sent off but Cooper managed to take over the refereeing of the game and made sure the second yellow wasn't coming.

Yiadom and Meite probably our best players. The rest of them were awful especially Swift and Loader.

Leeds won't mess it up this time, which will make it all the more funny when El Loco goes into meltdown in the Premier League.
Last edited by sandman on 12 Mar 2019 22:34, edited 1 time in total.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 12 Mar 2019 22:31

Yep agree with those sentiments. We looked a team missing 6/7 first teamers and the young lads struggled

Yiadom was outstanding. Baker was good. East is tidy with a few nice passes in him. We looked blunt up front, weak in midfield and not especially strong at the back

Nothing much else to talk about. Leeds were solid throughout and scored 2 brilliant goals. They’re clearly a good side with good players

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 12 Mar 2019 22:32

We weren't bad :lol: :lol:

Couldn't string three passes together, yeah they're top of the league, but what's the point of turning up if they steamroll us each time. We do not have a midfield, demonstrated by their cutback for the first goal. I don't understand. Meyler would make a difference to this team, probably a marginal one but the essence of having a holding midfielder that actually knows how to defend is vital (see Phillips for Leeds)

Team selection was pathetic. McCleary (who I'm not a fan of) had two good games prior to Saturday and is dropped after one poor one. This is to accommodate Loader who wouldn't look out of place in an u13 game. East was not the answer. Yeah, he wasn't bad but we needed someone stronger and more physical in there. Barrow needs to drop to non-league football along with Swift, both truly abject footballers

Martinez - 5 - couple of OK saves in the second half, but should have possibly done better for their second

Yiadom 5 - few decent runs forward, unfortunately his end product is so bad that it doesn't matter anyway
Miazga 5 - meh
Moore 4 - doesn't suit the system so what do you expect, he has to go in the summer
Blackett 5 - third goal aside, did OK, peach of a ball in for Yiadom, but where's his sense of urgency?

Baker 6 - MOTM, didn't see him do much wrong
East 5 - started nervously, grew into it, but too lightweight to play next to Baker, unfairly subbed off though

Meite 4 - brightest of the front four but his end product is pub league standard
Swift 2 - no words needed
Barrow 2 - maybe he thought he was playing for Leeds again in their yellow kit?

Loader 2 - so far out of his depth it's unreal, cue the usual suspects defending him saying he's not being used properly, he's been abysmal wherever he's played so far
Subs were OK, but the game was over by then

To everyone that screams for academy players to play, this is why they don't. Unless they're truly ready, you have to integrate them into the side slowly. Like Stam with Kelly. Throwing them in the deep end will never help them, and now we've seen that with Loader

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Mar 2019 22:33

We started well, but we just didn't have enough of the first team available. Leeds were just a lot better.

Martinez - 6 not a lot wrong, not much chance with any of the goals and at least one good save
Yiadom - 7 MotM, often takes a heavy touch and not the best defender, but so much more positive than Gunter it's untrue. Needs to work on his decision making in the final third
Blackett - 5 ok, but didn't defend well enough... quite often nowhere near his man. One peach of a cross in though
Moore - 4 not impressed, not good distribution, always seems to be off balance having to make a last ditch lunge
Miazga - 6 ok
East - 6 good debut under the circumstances, promising player in there, not quite ready yet, but I'd rather see him in the first team than Baker next year.
Baker - 6 tidy, but can't shoot and isn't a defensive midfielder
Swift - 4 awful set pieces, so soft on the ball, over complicates and over plays everything. Kept trying the sorts of tricks and flourishes you expect from a team winning 2-0 who's top of the league. Please leave
Meite - 5 Not at all suited to Gomes' tactics, very raw, but there's something there in the right circumstances
Barrow - 6 actually thought it was one of his better games without really having much of a sniff
Loader - 4 he just looks so out of his depth

Harriott - 5 similar to Meite, but a bit more technical... not really good enough, but his energy and commitment help give him something
Olise - 5 looks quick and enthusiastic, not really a game to make your debut in, didn't really do a lot I saw
McCleary - 5 stream quality had broken down by the time he came on and the game had been over for almost 60 minutes, so I didn't really see him do a lot. He had a shot on target though

Leeds. Just a lot better. Jekyl and Hyde though. Sometimes exquisite, sometimes really sloppy and poor. Definitely beatable by a decent team.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Mar 2019 22:36

NewCorkSeth They looked really quite good.

I notice not once did our commentators suggest Leeds could do with a holding midfielder. Obviously Leeds are a lot better at a possession based style of football than we are or indeed have been but it's amazing to me that they both scoff at the idea of a Reading team playing that style of football without some muscle in midfield but when Leeds do it they are full of (deserved) plaudits.

All of Leeds midfielders are strong, quick, direct and tough in the challenge. You don't need a dedicated defensive midfielder if all of your midfielders can challenge and aren't as soft as shite like Swift, Ejaria, Baker etc.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 12 Mar 2019 22:41

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth They looked really quite good.

All of Leeds midfielders are strong, quick, direct and tough in the challenge. You don't need a dedicated defensive midfielder if all of your midfielders can challenge and aren't as soft as shite like Swift, Ejaria, Baker etc.

I think their CMs made about 2 tackles between the 3 of them all game. You could argue that's because they pressed so well we lost the ball before they had to tackle but nonetheless I wouldn't call that Robert's fella strong or tough in the challenge.

It's hard for me to know tbh as I dont watch them and based on that game they didn't really have to make challenges in the centre of the pitch as the gap between midfield and attack was managed well by their pressing and closing down but you dont need to be a good tackler to follow those tactics.

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 12 Mar 2019 22:52

URZZZZ We weren't bad :lol: :lol:

Couldn't string three passes together, yeah they're top of the league, but what's the point of turning up if they steamroll us each time. We do not have a midfield, demonstrated by their cutback for the first goal. I don't understand. Meyler would make a difference to this team, probably a marginal one but the essence of having a holding midfielder that actually knows how to defend is vital (see Phillips for Leeds)

Team selection was pathetic. McCleary (who I'm not a fan of) had two good games prior to Saturday and is dropped after one poor one. This is to accommodate Loader who wouldn't look out of place in an u13 game. East was not the answer. Yeah, he wasn't bad but we needed someone stronger and more physical in there. Barrow needs to drop to non-league football along with Swift, both truly abject footballers

Martinez - 5 - couple of OK saves in the second half, but should have possibly done better for their second

Yiadom 5 - few decent runs forward, unfortunately his end product is so bad that it doesn't matter anyway
Miazga 5 - meh
Moore 4 - doesn't suit the system so what do you expect, he has to go in the summer
Blackett 5 - third goal aside, did OK, peach of a ball in for Yiadom, but where's his sense of urgency?

Baker 6 - MOTM, didn't see him do much wrong
East 5 - started nervously, grew into it, but too lightweight to play next to Baker, unfairly subbed off though

Meite 4 - brightest of the front four but his end product is pub league standard
Swift 2 - no words needed
Barrow 2 - maybe he thought he was playing for Leeds again in their yellow kit?

Loader 2 - so far out of his depth it's unreal, cue the usual suspects defending him saying he's not being used properly, he's been abysmal wherever he's played so far
Subs were OK, but the game was over by then

To everyone that screams for academy players to play, this is why they don't. Unless they're truly ready, you have to integrate them into the side slowly. Like Stam with Kelly. Throwing them in the deep end will never help them, and now we've seen that with Loader

Pretty much agree with all of that. Just sad that we were so far behind a team which a couple of seasons ago there was nothing between us. Thought Gomes team choice was well off the mark.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 12 Mar 2019 22:52

Loader and Swift, oh dear......

I don't get what Loader has to offer, there doesn't seem a single aspect of football he's got a talent for. And a long ineffective run in the first team could break any fledgling career he might have. Needs a long loan spell

The way Meite is playing at the moment, turning and running, McNulty would actually suit the formation

Yaidom class, Baker and East were ok too. Barrow had his moments

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 12 Mar 2019 22:54

Not sure who else he could have picked really. Would have had McCleary and Harriott in, but wouldn’t have changed the result

A lot is confidence. Since the summer Leeds have had a coherent plan, got in the players and stuck to it. If we had our first 11 on the back of a decent run, we’d not be too far behind imo

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 12 Mar 2019 22:59

We weren't actually that bad.

We've played far worse than that this season

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 12 Mar 2019 22:59

Felt thoroughly disheartened after that. I can't remember us making one decent tackle (apart from Yiadom), nor win one 50/50 ball. If the others players are better then the least you can do is compete physically. Why is he picking players like East and Loader for such a game. Didn't expect a win but to not compete was embaressing. More bad choices from Gomes

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 12 Mar 2019 23:08

Hound Not sure who else he could have picked really. Would have had McCleary and Harriott in, but wouldn’t have changed the result

A lot is confidence. Since the summer Leeds have had a coherent plan, got in the players and stuck to it. If we had our first 11 on the back of a decent run, we’d not be too far behind imo

Meite and Loader aren't championship players, granted Meite has played worse than tonight. He didn't have too many options today but that's his fault for not signing an out and out winger in January and instead buying the same type of players in Ejaria and Baker that we already have in Swift (lightweight)

It isn't difficult. One touch to control the ball, one touch to move it on. Leeds' football is so simple yet so effective. Why are our players insistent on taking four touches before even looking up? Why does Blackett amble back when he's out of position? Why is Yiadom shooting from the byline instead of looking up to see who's free? These are basic footballing errors that we are doing

As I've said before, I like Gomes' passion and most of the time he brings it towards the fans. But I can't warm to him fully yet when the players are doing such stupid basic errors

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 12 Mar 2019 23:24

I am just so glad I battled through the M4 /A33 fiasco; to watch a fantastic performance by the Lads. On Saturday I was held up by three men with one broom and tonight I was held up by one man in a Yellow Vest (was he French?)with a green light and still they are encouraging more development around that junction. Well done RBC and the Highways Agency.

We again had a Ref who chickened out-if he had given that 2nd yellow ; we would easily scored four in the last twenty minutes against ten man Leeds.

IMHO:

Martinez: 10
Yiadom: 16
Blackett : 10
Moore : 10
Miazga :10
East : Unclassified
Baker : 16 MOM
Swift : 10
Meite : 10
Barrow :10
Loader :10

Oh and I gave everyone of the Lads at least a 10 for braving the traffic and the Yellow Vests.

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 12 Mar 2019 23:26

URZZZZ
Hound Not sure who else he could have picked really. Would have had McCleary and Harriott in, but wouldn’t have changed the result

Meite and Loader aren't championship players, granted Meite has played worse than tonight. He didn't have too many options today but that's his fault for not signing an out and out winger in January and instead buying the same type of players in Ejaria and Baker that we already have in Swift (lightweight)

It isn't difficult. One touch to control the ball, one touch to move it on. Leeds' football is so simple yet so effective. Why are our players insistent on taking four touches before even looking up? Why does Blackett amble back when he's out of position? Why is Yiadom shooting from the byline instead of looking up to see who's free? These are basic footballing errors that we are doing

As I've said before, I like Gomes' passion and most of the time he brings it towards the fans. But I can't warm to him fully yet when the players are doing such stupid basic errors

The same errors they made under Stam, and then Clement? I recall Stam saying multiple times post-match when being questioned about why players do these stupid things, and his reply was something along the lines of "I tell them not to but they keep doing it". This is a shite squad of players and we need to get rid of 80% of them

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 12 Mar 2019 23:27

Loader was up against two big experienced centre backs playing for a top team, he got bullied, which is understandable at his age.

No doubting he was poor but he needs someone to play off rather than be up front on his own in a struggling side.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 12 Mar 2019 23:31

Again I'd question Gomes tactics tonight. Why set-out your team to be so open against one of the top teams. Made it so easy for Leeds.

Barrow has to go in the summer. All round doesn't contribute enough.

Looks like we are going to spend the last few weeks of the season hoping other results go away. Difficult to see us playing our way out of trouble.

Constant changing of managers simply doesn't work. Quality of Championship games/teams this season has been very poor.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 12 Mar 2019 23:32

blueroyals
URZZZZ

The same errors they made under Stam, and then Clement? I recall Stam saying multiple times post-match when being questioned about why players do these stupid things, and his reply was something along the lines of "I tell them not to but they keep doing it". This is a shite squad of players and we need to get rid of 80% of them

But a GOOD manager would coach it out of them

Take Leeds. They've had failed manager after failed manager the last few seasons. Bielsa comes in, with the exact same squad as last year and now look at them

If Gomes can't see Blackett walk back after being caught out of position, then I don't know what to say. Either he can't see it or Blackett is blatantly ignoring instructions. It's not necessarily about the quality of the players, it's the quality of the coaching. Yeah the players take deserved flak, but there's something not quite right

Results against top 6, played 0-0-9 for the record. Because we try and play tippy tappy football around them when they're clearly better than us at it

As for his comments on Kelly, they're truly pathetic, he's judging someone for 18 minutes of football against 3rd in the league, when Martinez passed straight to their player yet others in the team are untouchable

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 13 Mar 2019 00:16

That was woeful. Yes Leeds were very good and we were outclassed but we made it so easy for them. When you play a much better side you have to disrupt them and get into their faces. We didn’t and just allowed them all the time in the world. We were also asleep when they took short corners.

Loader needs a loan to a League one side next season and shouldn’t start for the first team again this season. He was very poor. East showed one or two nice touches but his weak clearance resulted in the chance which Hernandez duly took. Yids was the only one who won his personal battles.

I’m struggling to think of many games at this level where we have been so played off the park. Unless we get key players back it’s difficult to see where the points are coming from to keep us safe.

151 posts