603 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Pre season tour

by Sutekh » 15 May 2019 09:52

All off to Estepona in Spain for 2 weeks on 7th July

https://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/2019/m ... -in-spain/

Games will all be behind closed doors though

Final pre-season game will be at the Mad Stad on 28th July.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Pre season tour

by CountryRoyal » 15 May 2019 10:12

Ffs why the relatively sudden boner for playing pre seasons behind closed doors. Yawn.

10539.4 Miles Away
Hob Nob Regular

by 10539.4 Miles Away » 15 May 2019 10:15

CountryRoyal Ffs why the relatively sudden boner for playing pre seasons behind closed doors. Yawn.

Trialists playing? New formations / tactics being experimented with? Gives players the freedom in a semi competitive match to try to test themselves without the pressure of judgement being made by fans / on t'internet? The fact that the results really don't matter as long as they're not all loses (like our past 2 seasons)

I agree that I'd love them to be open but understand theres many reasons they wouldn't be.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 15 May 2019 10:38

was some mention of trying to stream them via social media, which would be nice

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 15 May 2019 10:41

Hound was some mention of trying to stream them via social media, which would be nice

Can seem them doing this on Facebook/Instagram, if not the games, I think there will be a lot of content from the camp, which would still be nice to see.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 15 May 2019 11:03

2 weeks sounds like a hell of a long time to be away together-it will either lead to great bonding or massive fall-outs. :wink:

10539.4 Miles Away
Hob Nob Regular

by 10539.4 Miles Away » 15 May 2019 11:05

Hound was some mention of trying to stream them via social media, which would be nice

Lol. In which case ignore my post above. If they're streaming the lot then surely there's no good reason it's behind closed doors. Unless it's to keep stadium/policing costs down?

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 15 May 2019 11:12

10539.4 Miles Away

Lol. In which case ignore my post above. If they're streaming the lot then surely there's no good reason it's behind closed doors. Unless it's to keep stadium/policing costs down?

Actually I'd say that's very likely - there's probably required staffing levels etc as soon as you let the public in.

Be interesting to see what pre-season games are lined up for when they come back. so far just the one mentioned at the MS.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 15 May 2019 11:16

muirinho
10539.4 Miles Away

Actually I'd say that's very likely - there's probably required staffing levels etc as soon as you let the public in.

Be interesting to see what pre-season games are lined up for when they come back. so far just the one mentioned at the MS.

There won't be a lot of time will there?

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 15 May 2019 11:27

Victor Meldrew
muirinho
10539.4 Miles Away

There won't be a lot of time will there?

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. Like I'm not bothered about whether preseason games abroad are open to the public or not - but I'm wondering are they using extra long trip to ensure there aren't many preseason games with us plebs allowed in at all.

I don't think you'd get the issues about the cost of opening up a stadium for 50 people if we were playing say Charlton, or AFC wimbledon

Also - seriously, are preseason games against European teams as good preparation as preseasons against lower league opposition here?

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 15 May 2019 13:43

Sutekh All off to Estepona in Spain for 2 weeks on 7th July

Club will think they have softened the blow somewhat with at long last a decent home friendly lined up. Should be the biggest crowd we will have all season lol.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 15 May 2019 14:24

paultheroyal
Sutekh All off to Estepona in Spain for 2 weeks on 7th July

Club will think they have softened the blow somewhat with at long last a decent home friendly lined up. Should be the biggest crowd we will have all season lol.

Guess behind closed doors enables the club to keep costs down and easily arrange games against local opposition as well as other teams "on tour".

Presumably there'll be a couple of "big name" clubs that they'll play out in Spain and I'd expect at least one if not a couple of games will be subjected to a Tim Dellor commentary.

Hope there'll be a couple of games before they go away though.

tee peg
Hob Nob Regular

by tee peg » 15 May 2019 14:33

I was looking forward to a nice jolly without her indoors........ :(

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 15 May 2019 14:37

Do many fans go to foreign pre-season games?

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 15 May 2019 16:12

muirinho Also - seriously, are preseason games against European teams as good a preparation as preseasons against lower league opposition here?

I'm actually thinking (hoping) it might be better? Depending what he wants to work on, maybe foreign opposition was specifically chosen/arranged for that?
It's often said that sending an Academy grad on loan to Lg1 or 2 is pointless, and indeed harmful. Not sure what Gomes and his system(s) would get out of playing L1 or 2 teams?

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 15 May 2019 16:49

Denver Royal
muirinho Also - seriously, are preseason games against European teams as good a preparation as preseasons against lower league opposition here?

I'm actually thinking (hoping) it might be better? Depending what he wants to work on, maybe foreign opposition was specifically chosen/arranged for that?
It's often said that sending an Academy grad on loan to Lg1 or 2 is pointless, and indeed harmful. Not sure what Gomes and his system(s) would get out of playing L1 or 2 teams?

I can see both points of view. Some teams in the Championship play passing football - and hence you'll need that bit of practice against the foreign teams who do try and retain possession

Other teams play smash and grab sort of football - and hence you'll need that bit of practice against the lower league teams who do play similar to that sort of style. I think it's important to get a mixture of both foreign sides/Premier league opponents, and lower league teams who play to sit back, score set pieces etc etc...the likes of Boro and Millwall in the Champ

I do think it's important to get a few wins in pre-season to carry forward some momentum. Even though friendlies contribute to nothing, they can still give a slight indication of how you start a season, a winless pre-season often leads to a winless first few games

I don't think sending Academy graduates to Lg1 or 2 is pointless if you send them to the right team. Of course it's difficult trying to find a team who (a) plays a similar style to us and (b) actually wants our player and is going to actually use them. But at the same time, I'm not sure just getting them to play u23 football is beneficial. For me Championship football > League 1/2 football > U23 football in terms of the speed of the play which is why youngsters can find it difficult at first (Danny Loader etc)

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 15 May 2019 17:27

Yep, well said, good points.
Can't say I'm shocked that Gomes' first preseason is a (lengthy) trip abroad against European teams. Hoping that his contacts over there will help better facilitate what he wants to do and that it bears fruition.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 15 May 2019 19:03

paultheroyal Club will think they have softened the blow somewhat with at long last a decent home friendly lined up. Should be the biggest crowd we will have all season lol.

Probably Bournemouth, Brighton or Watford.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 17 May 2019 17:05

tmesis
paultheroyal Club will think they have softened the blow somewhat with at long last a decent home friendly lined up. Should be the biggest crowd we will have all season lol.

Probably Bournemouth, Brighton or Watford.

Think blue, top 4 and you have your answer.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 May 2019 17:31

Nice. Do we get a bunch of loan players from them as part of the deal? My bet is one would be Izzy Brown

603 posts