England - the future....

1229 posts
stealthpapes
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: England - the future....

by stealthpapes » 20 Nov 2018 11:07

I think it always will be. Not all of them, but I've been convinced for years that having players play outside of the English bubble is very good for the national team as a whole.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 20 Nov 2018 14:25

Sanguine wrote:As long as Kane keeps scoring and assisting (wasn't he involved in all three goals in Spain?) then his place is under no question whatsoever. I don't remember the likes of Lineker or Owen doing much except score goals.

I'm not suggesting his place is under threat, not at all. I just don't think he's playing as well as he was before his injury at the start of the year though.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 20 Nov 2018 14:27

Stranded wrote:
Victor Meldrew wrote:I do however not see such a great improvement in the quality of football as some are suggesting and as sandman says we score most of our goals from set pieces.

You didn't watch the Spain game then? Not seen an England team play to that standard in years, it was great entertainment.

As for the set piece goals thing, I think you have both been taken in by Southgate's slightly tounge in cheek comments. During the World Cup, I would have to agree but the team has evolved since then.

In the 6 games they have played since Russia, England have scored 10 goals. The goals v Croatia were the first they have scored from set pieces in that time.

We also created a fair number of chances, or opportunities to make a chance, from open play against Croatia.

Old Man Andrews
Hob Nob Addict

by Old Man Andrews » 20 Nov 2018 14:35

Since when did we start caring about how we score goals? I couldn't give a toss if every single goal we scored until the end of time came from a corner as long as we are successful. Goal snobbery is pointless.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 20 Nov 2018 17:28

Old Man Andrews wrote:Since when did we start caring about how we score goals? I couldn't give a toss if every single goal we scored until the end of time came from a corner as long as we are successful. Goal snobbery is pointless.

It’s an indication of how well the team is playing though, and the way this England side is playing is one of the reasons why people seem to be reconnecting with them.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 20 Nov 2018 21:16

I have been as critical / cynical as anyone about England in the past, but genuinely look forward to watching them play now.

The football they play is the best we’ve seen since 1970 imo.

And they are nowhere near the finished article.

Exciting times I reckon.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sanguine » 14 Feb 2019 11:14

Declan Rice switches allegiance to England - which I think is a huge coup for Southgate and his young team. I've never been entirely comfortable with players switching after playing for the senior (in this case Ireland) side in friendlies, but rulez is rulez, and in Rice's case he played for Ireland owing to paternal grandparents. He was born in London and his parents are English.

Hendo
Hob Nob Regular

by Hendo » 14 Feb 2019 11:17

Sanguine wrote:Declan Rice switches allegiance to England - which I think is a huge coup for Southgate and his young team. I've never been entirely comfortable with players switching after playing for the senior (in this case Ireland) side in friendlies, but rulez is rulez, and in Rice's case he played for Ireland owing to paternal grandparents. He was born in London and his parents are English.

My West-Ham-ST-Holder mate say he is the real deal as well.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 15 Feb 2019 17:02

Sanguine wrote:Declan Rice switches allegiance to England - which I think is a huge coup for Southgate and his young team. I've never been entirely comfortable with players switching after playing for the senior (in this case Ireland) side in friendlies, but rulez is rulez, and in Rice's case he played for Ireland owing to paternal grandparents. He was born in London and his parents are English.

Arguably he could be the missing piece of the jigsaw for England - looks very composed in a DM role and should only get better.

1229 posts