Rumour - Thulani Serero

User avatar
Sutekh
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 4162
Joined: 12 Feb 2014 15:05
Location: Destroying things.... just like Michael Gilkes used to

Rumour - Thulani Serero

by Sutekh » 18 Nov 2016 11:43

26, South African international midfielder in last year of contract and out of favour at Ajax so sounds like he would be in our price range.

http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/footb ... x-12194777

Stockport Royal
Member
Posts: 87
Joined: 08 Oct 2015 09:21

Re: Rumour - Thulani Serero

by Stockport Royal » 18 Nov 2016 12:00

I do like Brian's line about giving thought to whether he would block a youngster's progression by coming in.

Possibly just a straight equation, will he add more to the squad than Kelly?

User avatar
Fezza
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 1072
Joined: 22 Apr 2004 16:33
Location: Counting Sheep!

Re: Rumour - Thulani Serero

by Fezza » 18 Nov 2016 12:08

With Williams off in the summer, and holding on to Swift unlikely, is he a possible long term replacement (I admit to knowing nothing about him). Rather than would he block Kelly my question would be, is he a better prospect than Evans?

I guess it all depend on aspirations towards the Prem this season!

GJ2008
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: 19 Nov 2016 09:13

Re: Rumour - Thulani Serero

by GJ2008 » 19 Nov 2016 09:45

Stockport Royal wrote:I do like Brian's line about giving thought to whether he would block a youngster's progression by coming in.

Possibly just a straight equation, will he add more to the squad than Kelly?


I don't know much about him but blocking youngster's progression is possible.
I've tried to search for some more info about him but couldn't find anything. Do you know any details?

Snowball
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Posts: 14106
Joined: 02 Jan 2009 19:35

Re: Rumour - Thulani Serero

by Snowball » 24 Nov 2016 10:02

I Googled him and found him on You-Tube

He is VERY skillful, plenty of assist, quick. Very impressive.

I wonder if he has discipline issues to be so out of favour?


CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 3191
Joined: 12 Aug 2011 13:44

Re: Rumour - Thulani Serero

by CountryRoyal » 24 Nov 2016 12:35

Ajax fans seem to rate him highly. They don't understand why he hasn't got much game time of late.

muirinho
Member
Posts: 220
Joined: 20 Jan 2016 13:10

Re: Rumour - Thulani Serero

by muirinho » 24 Nov 2016 14:13

Unfortunately, Stam doesn't think it will be possible because of Visa issues. Unless of course he is trying to throw others off the scent.

http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/footb ... x-12224339

User avatar
Sutekh
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 4162
Joined: 12 Feb 2014 15:05
Location: Destroying things.... just like Michael Gilkes used to

Re: Rumour - Thulani Serero

by Sutekh » 24 Nov 2016 15:10

Serero would be off on African Cup of Nations duties for Jan and Feb anyway wouldn't he?

bluerinse
Member
Posts: 116
Joined: 16 Aug 2015 09:17

Re: Rumour - Thulani Serero

by bluerinse » 24 Nov 2016 15:48

He has been living in Holland since 2011, why cant he get a Dutch passport and then he could live anywhere in the EU ( may be different after Brexit is sorted)


muirinho
Member
Posts: 220
Joined: 20 Jan 2016 13:10

Re: Rumour - Thulani Serero

by muirinho » 24 Nov 2016 15:56

bluerinse wrote:He has been living in Holland since 2011, why cant he get a Dutch passport and then he could live anywhere in the EU ( may be different after Brexit is sorted)


I was thinking that too. But he may not want a Dutch passport. Or he may not receive permission to get Dutch citizenship from the SA government (needed if he wants to retain his SA citizenship - I have no idea on what grounds permission may be granted/denied though)

Or that may be the plan anyway, and Stam is trying to put others off, while it gets sorted.

I don't think it would be a massive issue him being gone for Jan/Feb - it's not like we'd be getting him for a short term deal. We've managed before with African players.

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 2397
Joined: 11 Feb 2008 08:26

Re: Rumour - Thulani Serero

by kwik-silva » 24 Nov 2016 16:17

Sutekh wrote:Serero would be off on African Cup of Nations duties for Jan and Feb anyway wouldn't he?


Considering South Africa didn't qualify it would be unlikely

User avatar
maffff
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 4811
Joined: 25 Nov 2010 10:22

Re: Rumour - Thulani Serero

by maffff » 28 Nov 2016 11:53

Since 2004, South African dual nationals may travel without hindrance as long as they enter and leave South Africa on their South African passports. Dual nationals may petition for temporary, emergency or "permanent" South African passports for this purpose.

However, a South African citizen who by a formal and voluntary act acquires the citizenship of another country, automatically loses his or her South African citizenship unless they apply for, and receive permission to retain their South African citizenship before acquiring the citizenship of another country. A naturalised citizen however cannot apply for such a retention.

http://www.home-affairs.gov.za/

GazzTheSpaz
Member
Posts: 12
Joined: 12 Jun 2015 22:09

Re: Rumour - Thulani Serero

by GazzTheSpaz » 03 Jan 2017 16:52



Oilroyal
Member
Posts: 399
Joined: 22 Oct 2013 11:19

Re: Rumour - Thulani Serero

by Oilroyal » 03 Jan 2017 22:51

You would think Jaap has enough history with this guy to sign him if Jaap wanted him.

Jaap v Thulani Serero

https://youtu.be/YbOiB70TXPE

User avatar
Sutekh
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 4162
Joined: 12 Feb 2014 15:05
Location: Destroying things.... just like Michael Gilkes used to

Re: Rumour - Thulani Serero

by Sutekh » 04 Jan 2017 10:39

According to the Scottish S*n, Celtic are after him.

Presumably the same issues with a work permit would hamper them.

User avatar
WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 2901
Joined: 16 Jun 2008 10:49
Location: Dave Royal I'm Coming for you! whats your IP today?

Re: Rumour - Thulani Serero

by WoodleyRoyal » 11 Jan 2017 10:39

Not happening - http://www.soccerladuma.co.za/news/arti ... ing/242548

English Championship outfit, Reading, have given up on signing South African midfielder, Thulani Serero, due to the work permit restrictions in the United Kingdom.

The Siya crew recently reported that the Royals were unlikely to be successful in their attempts to land the 26-year-old due to the strict UK rules, with players having to play for a top 50 nation in order to be guaranteed a work permit at this stage.

Serero is on the lookout for a new club either now or when his contract with Ajax Amsterdam expires in July, and there has been talk of interest from both England and France (Bordeaux) in recent weeks.

Now, however, it seems that England is off the cards, with Reading’s technical director, Brian Tevreden, saying that they won’t be able to get him to England.

Tevreden told Vice Sports, "He's a quality player, and I would like to go get him here, but he won’t get a work permit… Your country should be in the top 50 before you can qualify for a work permit in England, which is a new rule, and South Africa is in the sixties, so they don’t qualify. There's nothing can be done about it."

There are 20 days left of the January transfer window, and given his lack of game time in Holland, Serero will be eager to make a move whenever the chance arises.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 2770
Joined: 13 Jul 2004 13:32

Re: Rumour - Thulani Serero

by Royalwaster » 11 Jan 2017 11:49

WoodleyRoyal wrote:Not happening - http://www.soccerladuma.co.za/news/arti ... ing/242548

English Championship outfit, Reading, have given up on signing South African midfielder, Thulani Serero, due to the work permit restrictions in the United Kingdom.

The Siya crew recently reported that the Royals were unlikely to be successful in their attempts to land the 26-year-old due to the strict UK rules, with players having to play for a top 50 nation in order to be guaranteed a work permit at this stage.

Serero is on the lookout for a new club either now or when his contract with Ajax Amsterdam expires in July, and there has been talk of interest from both England and France (Bordeaux) in recent weeks.

Now, however, it seems that England is off the cards, with Reading’s technical director, Brian Tevreden, saying that they won’t be able to get him to England.

Tevreden told Vice Sports, "He's a quality player, and I would like to go get him here, but he won’t get a work permit… Your country should be in the top 50 before you can qualify for a work permit in England, which is a new rule, and South Africa is in the sixties, so they don’t qualify. There's nothing can be done about it."

There are 20 days left of the January transfer window, and given his lack of game time in Holland, Serero will be eager to make a move whenever the chance arises.


That's a ridiculous rule ... so if Messi happened to be South African he wouldn't get a work permit for the UK?

muirinho
Member
Posts: 220
Joined: 20 Jan 2016 13:10

Re: Rumour - Thulani Serero

by muirinho » 11 Jan 2017 11:57

Royalwaster wrote:
WoodleyRoyal wrote:Not happening - http://www.soccerladuma.co.za/news/arti ... ing/242548

English Championship outfit, Reading, have given up on signing South African midfielder, Thulani Serero, due to the work permit restrictions in the United Kingdom.

The Siya crew recently reported that the Royals were unlikely to be successful in their attempts to land the 26-year-old due to the strict UK rules, with players having to play for a top 50 nation in order to be guaranteed a work permit at this stage.

Serero is on the lookout for a new club either now or when his contract with Ajax Amsterdam expires in July, and there has been talk of interest from both England and France (Bordeaux) in recent weeks.

Now, however, it seems that England is off the cards, with Reading’s technical director, Brian Tevreden, saying that they won’t be able to get him to England.

Tevreden told Vice Sports, "He's a quality player, and I would like to go get him here, but he won’t get a work permit… Your country should be in the top 50 before you can qualify for a work permit in England, which is a new rule, and South Africa is in the sixties, so they don’t qualify. There's nothing can be done about it."

There are 20 days left of the January transfer window, and given his lack of game time in Holland, Serero will be eager to make a move whenever the chance arises.


That's a ridiculous rule ... so if Messi happened to be South African he wouldn't get a work permit for the UK?


There are other considerations that may come into play, if your country doesn't qualify. Basically - if you are as good as Messi, and already are a major player for a top club, you'll be fine. But this wouldn't be true of the kind of players Reading will ever get.

More detail about the rules in this link here.

http://www.danielgeey.com/the-foreigner ... explained/

User avatar
Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Posts: 9183
Joined: 14 Apr 2004 12:42
Location: Propping up the bar in the Nags

Re: Rumour - Thulani Serero

by Stranded » 11 Jan 2017 14:09

Royalwaster wrote:
WoodleyRoyal wrote:Not happening - http://www.soccerladuma.co.za/news/arti ... ing/242548

English Championship outfit, Reading, have given up on signing South African midfielder, Thulani Serero, due to the work permit restrictions in the United Kingdom.

The Siya crew recently reported that the Royals were unlikely to be successful in their attempts to land the 26-year-old due to the strict UK rules, with players having to play for a top 50 nation in order to be guaranteed a work permit at this stage.

Serero is on the lookout for a new club either now or when his contract with Ajax Amsterdam expires in July, and there has been talk of interest from both England and France (Bordeaux) in recent weeks.

Now, however, it seems that England is off the cards, with Reading’s technical director, Brian Tevreden, saying that they won’t be able to get him to England.

Tevreden told Vice Sports, "He's a quality player, and I would like to go get him here, but he won’t get a work permit… Your country should be in the top 50 before you can qualify for a work permit in England, which is a new rule, and South Africa is in the sixties, so they don’t qualify. There's nothing can be done about it."

There are 20 days left of the January transfer window, and given his lack of game time in Holland, Serero will be eager to make a move whenever the chance arises.


That's a ridiculous rule ... so if Messi happened to be South African he wouldn't get a work permit for the UK?


As Murinhio said there are exceptions, but if you think that rule is ridiculous what do you think the rule should be?

User avatar
Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict
Posts: 7474
Joined: 27 Mar 2012 19:05
Location: Bournemouth

Re: Rumour - Thulani Serero

by Royal Ginger » 11 Jan 2017 14:25

Brexit could well mean that as it stands we'd not be able to sign players from Slovenia, Norway, Finland, Latvia, Cyprus or Estonia, with Denmark, Greece, Sweden, The Czec Republic and Romania hovering around the wrong end of the rankings.

Some of those seem preposterous.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSNbot Media and 18 guests

It is currently 22 Jan 2017 13:04