Tommy Elphick

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 3080
Joined: 13 Jul 2004 13:32

Tommy Elphick

by Royalwaster » 26 May 2018 11:44

To join ... not yet confimred.

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 1493
Joined: 27 Dec 2008 19:59

Re: Tommy Elphick

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 28 May 2018 12:26

If the rumours going around about Terry being released due to his wages are true, then Elphick leaving Villa may not happen..

User avatar
Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Posts: 10739
Joined: 14 Apr 2004 12:42
Location: Propping up the bar in the Nags

Re: Tommy Elphick

by Stranded » 28 May 2018 15:00

DOYLERSAROYALER wrote:If the rumours going around about Terry being released due to his wages are true, then Elphick leaving Villa may not happen..


Terry was always leaving if they didn't go up, I don't believe it will have any impact on Elphick. You look at any Villa forum and the fans fully expect him out of the door. Wouldn't surprise me if he is one of the two deals Clement was stating may well be announced in the next week or two.

User avatar
Sutekh
Hob Nob Addict
Posts: 6682
Joined: 12 Feb 2014 15:05
Location: Destroying things.... just like Michael Gilkes used to

Re: Tommy Elphick

by Sutekh » 28 May 2018 15:13

Villa are apparently nearly up a certain creek with no canoe let alone any paddles so I would imagine any player contracted to them either has a price or is a shoe in for next season after others do move on.

I know Ady rates Elphick but my knowledge of him is what I have(n’t) seen in his loan at Reading and him getting sent off at the Mad Stad while making one of his first appearances for Brighton - so, not that impressive really.

Anyone got a Villa/Bournemouth/Brighton mate who can spout something more helpful ?

TiagoIlori
Member
Posts: 274
Joined: 31 Jul 2017 18:34

Re: Tommy Elphick

by TiagoIlori » 30 May 2018 09:29

Happen to able to answer them all as currently living in Bournemouth. Brighton fan I know absolutely loves him for captaining them to league one as do Bournemouth(there’s even a display that’s dedicated to Elphick https://twitter.com/tommyelph4/status/7 ... 19265?s=21). The villa fan says he was poor in 16-17 but did alright when called upon for them in 17-18, thinks he’s just got the big club syndrome.


Hound
Hob Nob Addict
Posts: 5533
Joined: 27 Sep 2016 22:16
Location: Simpleton

Re: Tommy Elphick

by Hound » 30 May 2018 09:33

TiagoIlori wrote:Happen to able to answer them all as currently living in Bournemouth. Brighton fan I know absolutely loves him for captaining them to league one as do Bournemouth(there’s even a display that’s dedicated to Elphick https://twitter.com/tommyelph4/status/7 ... 19265?s=21). The villa fan says he was poor in 16-17 but did alright when called upon for them in 17-18, thinks he’s just got the big club syndrome.


what does that mean? And surely not an issue after previous playing for BHA

Hound
Hob Nob Addict
Posts: 5533
Joined: 27 Sep 2016 22:16
Location: Simpleton

Re: Tommy Elphick

by Hound » 30 May 2018 10:29

Sutekh wrote:Villa are apparently nearly up a certain creek with no canoe let alone any paddles so I would imagine any player contracted to them either has a price or is a shoe in for next season after others do move on.
?


They apparently need to cut £45m from their budget from last season to fit in with FFP. Whether FFP has teeth or not, not really sure but there is talk of points deductions if they don't stay within

Whether this makes it more likely they will sell off Elphick to save a few quid, or whether it makes it more likely he stays as Terry certainly and maybe Chester will be off, not too sure.

Wonder if Scott Hogan might be worth a look if we could get him on loan. Always rated him.

TiagoIlori
Member
Posts: 274
Joined: 31 Jul 2017 18:34

Re: Tommy Elphick

by TiagoIlori » 30 May 2018 11:11

Hound wrote:
TiagoIlori wrote:Happen to able to answer them all as currently living in Bournemouth. Brighton fan I know absolutely loves him for captaining them to league one as do Bournemouth(there’s even a display that’s dedicated to Elphick https://twitter.com/tommyelph4/status/7 ... 19265?s=21). The villa fan says he was poor in 16-17 but did alright when called upon for them in 17-18, thinks he’s just got the big club syndrome.


what does that mean? And surely not an issue after previous playing for BHA

Sometimes when playing for a big club it can have a bad effect on the player, due to the increased pressure, going from around 10,000 to 30,000 a week in front of your own fans is quite a big step up, here we struggle to get even half of 30,000. Having said that I don’t personally think it’s a thing, if you can’t cope with added pressure you shouldn’t really be a footballer.

One87One
Member
Posts: 96
Joined: 28 Nov 2016 13:04
Location: Y25

Re: Tommy Elphick

by One87One » 30 May 2018 14:34

As the OP says, this is all but a done deal. Next seasons Captain. Also close to another signing.


West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 4475
Joined: 14 Apr 2004 08:37
Location: Working my nuts off during early retirement

Re: Tommy Elphick

by West Stand Man » 30 May 2018 21:42

BBC confirming that Terry has left Villa.

One87One
Member
Posts: 96
Joined: 28 Nov 2016 13:04
Location: Y25

Re: Tommy Elphick

by One87One » 31 May 2018 08:22

Ralph wrote:Less chance of him leaving now that they're cutting costs.


His loan had an option to buy.

User avatar
Sutekh
Hob Nob Addict
Posts: 6682
Joined: 12 Feb 2014 15:05
Location: Destroying things.... just like Michael Gilkes used to

Re: Tommy Elphick

by Sutekh » 31 May 2018 12:24

One87One wrote:
Ralph wrote:Less chance of him leaving now that they're cutting costs.


His loan had an option to buy.


Chronicle reporting the same and are rating this as a likely move.

However I have seen rumours saying Elphick is on the move up the pecking order at Villa now that Terry's gone and the fact that Chester is probably going to be a target of PL clubs, esp. given Villa's money problems.

RoyalJones
Member
Posts: 150
Joined: 03 May 2016 17:06

Re: Tommy Elphick

by RoyalJones » 31 May 2018 12:39

There must have been an option to buy Elphick at the end of his loan for a set amount, the price was probably not too high as they were not in the situation they are in now. Must be all up to Elphick now, think the fact we are a southern team will appeal to him based on previous clubs and where he was born, might fancy a move down south, but he may be attracted to the option of moving back up the pecking order at Aston Villa with Terry leaving and Chester may follow.


DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 1493
Joined: 27 Dec 2008 19:59

Re: Tommy Elphick

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 14 Jun 2018 10:29

Reading are hoping to complete a permanent deal for Aston Villa centre-back Tommy Elphick over the next few days. [getreading] #readingfc https://t.co/dJWe4ss3RU

gazzer, loyal royal
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 2311
Joined: 18 Jul 2004 21:45
Location: Khalifa Cisse sleeps with the light on, not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark i

Re: Tommy Elphick

by gazzer, loyal royal » 14 Jun 2018 12:18

RoyalJones wrote:There must have been an option to buy Elphick at the end of his loan for a set amount, the price was probably not too high as they were not in the situation they are in now. Must be all up to Elphick now, think the fact we are a southern team will appeal to him based on previous clubs and where he was born, might fancy a move down south, but he may be attracted to the option of moving back up the pecking order at Aston Villa with Terry leaving and Chester may follow.


there was no option in the deal hence why its taking longer than we thought

User avatar
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 2999
Joined: 20 Jun 2017 17:51

Re: Tommy Elphick

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Jun 2018 12:52

DOYLERSAROYALER wrote:Reading are hoping to complete a permanent deal for Aston Villa centre-back Tommy Elphick over the next few days. [getreading] #readingfc https://t.co/dJWe4ss3RU

If this is going ahead without Moore, McShane or Blackett going anywhere it makes the O'Shea signing looki and even bigger waste of time. That would be six senior CBs and two Academy lads with first team appearances (I think) for possible just two first team slots. Talk about squad bloat.

And that's ignoring Berg, Evans and Gunter who've all covered CB at one time or another.

User avatar
paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Posts: 15054
Joined: 04 Mar 2005 13:59
Location: Hob Nob Reality TV Champ 2010/2011

Re: Tommy Elphick

by paultheroyal » 14 Jun 2018 13:00

Snowflake Royal wrote:
DOYLERSAROYALER wrote:Reading are hoping to complete a permanent deal for Aston Villa centre-back Tommy Elphick over the next few days. [getreading] #readingfc https://t.co/dJWe4ss3RU

If this is going ahead without Moore, McShane or Blackett going anywhere it makes the O'Shea signing looki and even bigger waste of time. That would be six senior CBs and two Academy lads with first team appearances (I think) for possible just two first team slots. Talk about squad bloat.

And that's ignoring Berg, Evans and Gunter who've all covered CB at one time or another.


Getting players in and packing the squad out makes it far easier to clear out the ones no longer required or both parties see no future.

muirinho
Member
Posts: 925
Joined: 20 Jan 2016 13:10

Re: Tommy Elphick

by muirinho » 14 Jun 2018 13:18

Snowflake Royal wrote:
DOYLERSAROYALER wrote:Reading are hoping to complete a permanent deal for Aston Villa centre-back Tommy Elphick over the next few days. [getreading] #readingfc https://t.co/dJWe4ss3RU

If this is going ahead without Moore, McShane or Blackett going anywhere it makes the O'Shea signing looki and even bigger waste of time. That would be six senior CBs and two Academy lads with first team appearances (I think) for possible just two first team slots. Talk about squad bloat.

And that's ignoring Berg, Evans and Gunter who've all covered CB at one time or another.


McShane started only half the league games last season (also 3 sub appearances)
Ilori is also a bit injury prone. Blackett is surely covering LB as well as CB if we go 4 at the back. And you need competition, not just cover. Academy lads aren't competition

If there's any possibility that we will be playing 3 centre-backs, rather than 2, then we need a lot of centre backs in the squad.

Also, could imagine even if we hang on to Moore now, unless we have a good first half of the season, we're very likely to lose him in January. Could be future-proofing for that too.

Finally, if Clement does want rid of, say, Blackett or McShane, making it clear they will be limited to occasional sub appearances will mean their agents will be on the hunt for opportunities elsewhere, rather than the club trying to find a buyer for a player who doesn't want to move.

BTW I noticed that in the press-release for the club continuing with match-day programmes, it said they'd include notes from Paul McShane - rather than the safer "notes from our captain". Could just be right hand not knowing what left hand is doing, but I'd say that means there aren't any plans for McShane to move on, or for an immediate change of captaincy. Still might happen if the right bid comes in, or he wants a move himself, but I reckon he will stay.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 3080
Joined: 13 Jul 2004 13:32

Re: Tommy Elphick

by Royalwaster » 14 Jun 2018 13:33

And isn't TE also a DM as well?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 18 guests

It is currently 21 Jun 2018 03:34