News and Views
Royals Try To Hang On To Swift
01 August 2017
By Hob Nob Anyone?
John Swift has signed a massive five year contract with Reading FC as the club look to either keep hold of the player long term or at least cash in should he move on in the future. There has been huge hype surrounding John Swift as he has played through the England youth ranks and attracted plenty of media interest. He has already played 13 times for the England Under 21 side and remains a big player for the future. Swift, with 42 appearances for Reading and 9 goals so far, had an amazing start to last season, and although his form dipped, he should be set to be a key player for the Royals this term.
Before signing his new contract he, Swift scored from the spot during Reading's 2-3 friendly defeat against Dutch top tier side Vitesse on Saturday. The Royals found themselves three goals down before Swift and Adrian Popa scored to make the scoreline respectable. Although the result may well be meaningless it was a disappointing match for Reading with van den Berg and new signing Bodvarsson both picking up injuries. The good news was all three news signings featured in the match with Vito Mannone in goal and Pelle Clement and Jon Dadi Bodvarsson picking up some game time. With Kermorgant recovering from injury and Bodvarsson joining him on that list, attention will pass to youngsters Sam Smith and Danny Loader who are hoping to get involved with the first team this season. With the injuries mounting, and a lack of new signings, they have a real opportunity to make the switch from the Academy ranks.
Meanwhile, as Jaap Stam still hopes to bring more players through the door in August, the squad has shrunk further. Jake Cooper confirmed his move to Millwall after a loan spell there last season. Cooper's move is permanent, but fellow defender Rob Dickie leaves the club on loan as he joins Lincoln City until January 2018.
Stam's squad for the new season still appears to be work in progress as rumours have come and done with limited incoming activity. Time is running short as the new season kick-offs this weekend with a trip to QPR.
Players In So Far:
- Vito Mannone (Sunderland)
- Jon Dadi Bodvarsson (Wolves)
- Pelle Clement (Ajax)
Players Out So Far:
- Jake Cooper (Millwall)
- Dominic Samuel (Blackburn Rovers)
- Ali Al Habsi (Al-Hilal)
- Danny Williams (Huddersfield Town)
- Niall Keown (Partick Thistle)
- Zak Jules (Shrewsbury Town)
- Jack Stacey (Luton Town)
- Tariqe Fosu (Charlton Athletic)
- Craig Tanner (Motherwell)
- Sean Long (Lincoln City)
- Dominic Hyam (Coventry City)
- Aaron Kuhl (Out of contract)
- Stuart Moore (Out of contract)
- Harrison Bennett (Out of contract)
- Joe Tupper (Out of contract)
- Terence Vancooten (Out of contract)
- Jack Denton (Out of contract)
- Harry Cardwell (Out of contract)
Players Out On Loan So Far:
- Rob Dickie (loan to Lincoln City)
- Danzell Gravenberch (loan to KSV Roeselare)
- Andrija Novakovich (loan to Telstar)
- Jonathan Bond (loan to Peterborough)
- Deniss Rakels (loan to Lech Poznan)
Share this article: