News and Views

David Meyler To Join On A Free

06 June 2018
By Hob Nob Anyone?

Midfielder David Meyler has become Reading's second confirmed signing of the summer, following full back Andy Yiadom who will sign a four year contract with Reading next month when his contract at Barnsley expires. Meyler will join Reading, signing a two year contract, from Hull City and will also be a free signing when his contract at Hull expires this summer.

Twenty nine year old Meyler spent his youth at Cork City before moving to Sunderland, then in the Premier League. He failed to secure a regular first team place at Sunderland before moving to Hull City in November 2012, initially on loan. After impressing on loan he was signed up for 1.5 million pounds before the January transfer window closed and went on to become a regular in Hull's side as they secured promotion to the Premier League.

Meyler then went on to make 78 Premier League appearances for Hull over two spells in the top tier, and he leaves Hull after failing to agree a new contract after the club struggled in the Championship last season. His Hull City career saw him make 191 appearances and scoring 19 goals. During his successful time at Hull he also managed to hit the headlines for being on the receiving end of Alan Pardew's infamous touchline headbutt.

Meyler is a current Republic of Ireland International and came on as a second half substitute in Ireland's 0-2 defeat in France last week.

Discussion On This Story:

genome

» 21 May 2018 14:14

@SportsPeteO
Reading eye move for former Hull City midfielder David Meyler on a free transfer. #readingfc #hcafc

From the same chap who called the Yiadom transfer.

Would be a good signing I think. Suggested it on the Players thread.

Hound

» 21 May 2018 14:17

yeah not unexpected. never been quite sure if he is any good or not, but certainly the right kind of player we need. Would surely be a huge upgrade on Joey whatever.

Old Man Andrews

» 21 May 2018 14:22

No thanks. Probably would command big wages, not a big enough upgrade on Van Den Berg and Edwards.

genome

» 21 May 2018 14:28

He's much better than those two, IMO

Old Man Andrews

» 21 May 2018 14:32

He's much better than those two, IMO

So are you but I wouldn't have you in the midfield long term.

Just think we should be looking for something better than a Hull cast off. If he isn't good enough for them to offer new terms to then why is he good enough for us? Lets aim high and then come down to the sort of Meyler level if other options are exhausted. I have seen him a few times over the season and he has done nothing for me.

genome

» 21 May 2018 14:40

He's much better than those two, IMO

So are you but I wouldn't have you in the midfield long term.

If we were paying a fee for him I'd agree, but as a free transfer it'd be a smart signing that would free up transfer funds to bring in a striker. Can you think of anyone else who can play that ball-winning midfielder role that wouldn't cost millions in this market?

Plenty of Premier League experience, captain material, tough tackler, and brings a strong beard game to the team that we're sorely lacking.

As for him being a Hull cast off - depends why they released him. I get the feeling they are having a massive clearout to reduce wages - Hernandez is leaving too, no? He's a top striker at this level.

Old Man Andrews

» 21 May 2018 14:50

So are you but I wouldn't have you in the midfield long term.

Hernandez was retained I believe, resell value there.

As for anyone else in a similar role who I would prefer I would say Ben Pearson at Preston would be my number 1 central midfield target. Impressed me on all the ocassions I have seen him. I don't think we can rule out spending millions just yet so he could be within our range.

Hound

» 21 May 2018 15:34

Hernandez is OOC as well, sure Hull tried to keep him, but he will go somewhere better

Meyler will have been on tidy wages, I'm not surprised he has left. On paper would look a solid signing on a free

Coppells Lost Coat

» 21 May 2018 15:46

Anyone know his injury record?
Could be a decent signing for free. If Clement thinks he is an upgrade to what we have then so be it, I do think that his position is where we should be looking to strengthen the most.

NewCorkSeth

» 21 May 2018 15:47

I wouldnt mind having a Cork man back in the team. Hes a grand player..

Hound

» 21 May 2018 15:50

200 appearances nearly in 5 years for Hull, so must be pretty reliable fitness wise

Sutekh

» 21 May 2018 15:58

Looks like he's managed about 25 apps a season for the last 5 years for Hull in the league

He scores 1 in 11 on average and I believe he's the guy who was on the receiving end of Alan Pardew's head a few years ago.

And just for the record he is 28 and an ROI international