Mcd says we haven't got any cash....

723 posts
Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Mcd says we haven't got any cash....

by Royal Lady » 22 Aug 2010 15:59

I don't remember him saying it every freaking year for 15 years tbh.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 22 Aug 2010 17:42

Royal Lady
Royal Rother Thing is RL, although I enjoy keeping in touch with all things RFC, I mostly go and watch Windsor & Eton these days so can really only talk in general terms.

Not ashamed of that but you won't generally find me discussing the merits of individuals and specific performances, simply because I haven't seen them! I am happy with the fact that we have so many (apparently) capable and developing youngsters but I can't honestly answer your direct question about the overall quality of the squad.

Yet on another thread you berated me for saying something about Bryn! Despite the fact you got the wrong end of the stick in what I was saying anyway! Well, I can assure you Mr Rother that if you did go to the games you would be more understanding of some of the comments I have made!

Now you're beginning to irritate me - this was the actual exchange (where you'll note I make no comment about his, or indeed anyone else's, performance yesterday):

Royal Rother
Royal Lady I think it's indicative of the lack of strength and depth in our current team that Bryn was one of our best players out there yesterday..

Jeez, how insulting is that to a dedicated pro who rarely lets us down.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 22 Aug 2010 18:01

Its about time the local press/radio started asking some serious questions to Hammond/Madejski. I only see the on line versions as am not local any more but both papers seem to shy away from asking difficult questions.

Every other side just about in our league is signing or has signed players in the last month - I seriously think the club have made large budgetary mistakes somewhere along the way and maybe promises made to banks that cannot be fulfilled - possibly they were reckoning on shipping out more players this window to repay borrowing.

I am not sure what other explanation there is for not getting anyone on loan in.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 22 Aug 2010 18:25

Mid Sussex Royal Its about time the local press/radio started asking some serious questions to Hammond/Madejski. I only see the on line versions as am not local any more but both papers seem to shy away from asking difficult questions.

Every other side just about in our league is signing or has signed players in the last month - I seriously think the club have made large budgetary mistakes somewhere along the way and maybe promises made to banks that cannot be fulfilled - possibly they were reckoning on shipping out more players this window to repay borrowing.

I am not sure what other explanation there is for not getting anyone on loan in.

So what questions would you ask?

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 22 Aug 2010 18:29

Royal Rother you won't generally find me discussing the merits of individuals and specific performances, simply because I haven't seen them!

Doesn't stop Ian Royal.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 22 Aug 2010 18:35

Ian Royal
Terminal Boardom Investment in the club is not just for the acquisition of players but also in the fabric and infrastructure. If the way forward for the club is to become more self sufficient, then why not invest more in the coaching side of things within the Academy? Over the years, Tottenham, Arsenal, Southampton and Man Utd have regularly produced a steady stream of talented youngsters. The only one of the youngsters that we have seen that can be adjudged to be quality is the Sig. There is nothing special about the likes of Church, Pearce and Karacan. Shirley the logical approach would be to produce the best youngsters that we possibly can.

you've just named three of the biggest clubs in the country, f course they produce better youth than us. They have the absolute pick of everyone.

An academy can't just be judged on whether it produces Premier League players. The fact that we've produced / developed loads of players who are or have got plenty of games in the top two divisions is testament to how well put together our academy is, and the longterm investment that involved.

Sigurdsson, Tyson, Henderson, Ashdown, Cox, Henry, Pearce, Church, Karacan, Robson-Kanu...

Then you have the likes of Hamer, Andersen, Taylor, Bignall, Bell-Baggie, McCarthy, Kelly...

We have invested massively on the non-player side with the Media Centre, Academy, Stadium, Training Ground and all those other things. We're a club that's built for the long term, and I find that exciting and refreshing.

That doesn't mean things won't go wrong, or we won't make mistakes (this is the real world after all not some computer game), just that those mistakes shouldn't (or won't be allowed to) jepordise the long term future of the club.

My point is that the bulk of our youngsters struggle to stand out AT THIS LEVEL. There is either something not right with the scouting network or the coaching that the players get here is not as good AS IT COULD BE. I would much rather see money spent on quality coaches than on fancy-dan Billy Big-Bollocks who meander through games - eg Rasiak.

under the tin

by under the tin » 22 Aug 2010 18:38

Ian Royal I love the people who seem to think that saying you have an ambition to get back to the Premier League automatically means your entire plan is to do it this year or next year by spending bucket loads.

Madejski's stated ambition 15 years ago was to get us to the Premier League. And he did it in 2005. Anjd kept us there for a nicely successful season as well. That is not the actions of a man who is all wind and doesn't want us to go up. An accusation that was also made against him prior to 2005.

Whilst I have respect for our imperious chairman, I think that reaching the Prem was not his doing.
He got a result with the staff he hired.
Surely it was more to do with:
A good scouting network,
picking up Shorey for 25K (Cheers Pards)
Hunt, Doyle,Long,Oster, Sonko, Kitson, Sidwell, Hahnemann,Gunnarsson, Ingimarrson for, in football terms, loose change.
And, of course, a little bald headed scouser.
Lita was, reputedly paid for by Jm himself, OK
I honestly think, that in large part, JM GOT LUCKY

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 22 Aug 2010 18:43

Why did they come in the first place?
Because our Chairman is lucky?
Or is it that he lets the decent people within the club get on with their relevant job with no interference?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 22 Aug 2010 19:00

Royal Lady I don't remember him saying it every freaking year for 15 years tbh.

15 years ago there wasn't the kind of press coverage there is these days almost demanding quotes from everyone associated with a football club.

under the tin

by under the tin » 22 Aug 2010 19:11

readingbedding Why did they come in the first place?
Or is it that he lets the decent people within the club get on with their relevant job with no interference?

Because most of them had careers that were going nowhere, playing in the reserves, or at lower league clubs.
For the Irish lads, it was a shot at the big time.

Please don't give me the selective memory thing.
He was chairman, and didn't interfere when we signed Jim Crapintyre, Sean Evers, the rest of the "magnificent seven", Greg Halford, Uwe Hartenburger, et al.

Madejski got lucky because in 2005-7, we had team where the whole added up to more than the sum of the parts.
This is borne out in the frankly silly money that was paid for some of the component players, when they were sold, but none, bar Doyle, have pulled up trees since they moved on.
For relatively bugger all outlay, and a canny little scouser, virtually every "punt" came off.
Just think: Doyle could have made as big an impression as Mooney, Sonko = Bennett, etc etc

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 22 Aug 2010 19:46

under the tin
readingbedding Why did they come in the first place?

Because most of them had careers that were going nowhere, playing in the reserves, or at lower league clubs.
For the Irish lads, it was a shot at the big time.

Please don't give me the selective memory thing.
He was chairman, and didn't interfere when we signed Jim Crapintyre, Sean Evers, the rest of the "magnificent seven", Greg Halford, Uwe Hartenburger, et al.

Madejski got lucky because in 2005-7, we had team where the whole added up to more than the sum of the parts.
This is borne out in the frankly silly money that was paid for some of the component players, when they were sold, but none, bar Doyle, have pulled up trees since they moved on.
For relatively bugger all outlay, and a canny little scouser, virtually every "punt" came off.
Just think: Doyle could have made as big an impression as Mooney, Sonko = Bennett, etc etc

And yet, in some quarters, SSC is derided for allowing us to be relegated from the Prem. Why were we relegated? Because SJM knew that serious money needed to be invested and he refused to allow the squad to be strengthened. As I have said elsewhere, SJM hates the thought of people he considers socially below him having the ability to drive a flash motor!

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 22 Aug 2010 20:09

under the tin
Ian Royal I love the people who seem to think that saying you have an ambition to get back to the Premier League automatically means your entire plan is to do it this year or next year by spending bucket loads.

Madejski's stated ambition 15 years ago was to get us to the Premier League. And he did it in 2005. Anjd kept us there for a nicely successful season as well. That is not the actions of a man who is all wind and doesn't want us to go up. An accusation that was also made against him prior to 2005.

Whilst I have respect for our imperious chairman, I think that reaching the Prem was not his doing.
He got a result with the staff he hired.
Surely it was more to do with:
A good scouting network,
picking up Shorey for 25K (Cheers Pards)
Hunt, Doyle,Long,Oster, Sonko, Kitson, Sidwell, Hahnemann,Gunnarsson, Ingimarrson for, in football terms, loose change.
And, of course, a little bald headed scouser.
Lita was, reputedly paid for by Jm himself, OK
I honestly think, that in large part, JM GOT LUCKY

You might be right. But what he did by luck he may now think he can do deliberately: get promoted without splashing the cash. I'm strongly disappointed that McDermott hasn't been allowed to acquire all the players he wants, but I don't think Madejski is entirely on the wrong track, either. We weren't the only ones who got promoted without spending much: Burnley and Blackpool were two other examples. The key factor in such cases is not money but a smart manager.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 22 Aug 2010 20:17

Terminal Boardom
And yet, in some quarters, SSC is derided for allowing us to be relegated from the Prem. Why were we relegated? Because SJM knew that serious money needed to be invested and he refused to allow the squad to be strengthened. As I have said elsewhere, SJM hates the thought of people he considers socially below him having the ability to drive a flash motor!

We were relegated because we messed up in one or two games - investment was irrelevant. Clubs who invest much more than us get relegated every season, clubs who invest far more than us don't even get promoted ! Had we spent another £10 million we may or may not have got relegated. It's guesswork.

It's unarguable that we didn't spend big on transfers, but it seems fairly obvious that was because we put too much faith in players who failed to live up to it, not that we didn't spend unknown amounts on unnamed players...

I would agree that JM clearly finds the stupid money involved in football distasteful, and he's not only. I'm not sure it is in any better taste than the stupid money that apparantly can be made from publishing or property speculation though.
Last edited by Sun Tzu on 22 Aug 2010 20:31, edited 1 time in total.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 22 Aug 2010 20:28

Terminal Boardom And yet, in some quarters, SSC is derided for allowing us to be relegated from the Prem. Why were we relegated? Because SJM knew that serious money needed to be invested and he refused to allow the squad to be strengthened. As I have said elsewhere, SJM hates the thought of people he considers socially below him having the ability to drive a flash motor!

It was common knowlegde at the time that Coppell had the funds but chose not to invest as he thought the existing squad was good enough. HIS failure to sign a right back to replace the injured Little was single biggest factor in us getting relegated. A new right winger to play instead of Oster would have gained us at least one extra point.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 22 Aug 2010 20:39

TBF is the general concensus that we need at least one more CB as Ingi is injured and Pearce is a bit crap???

I would assume after the departure of Rasiak we can afford wages for one.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 22 Aug 2010 20:41

Harpers So Solid Crew TBF is the general concensus that we need at least one more CB as Ingi is injured and Pearce is a bit crap???

I would assume after the departure of Rasiak we can afford wages for one.

Pearce is playing well, him and Mills look like they will be a decent pairing.

But yes, we need a 4th CB.

Pseud O'Nym
Hob Nob Regular

by Pseud O'Nym » 22 Aug 2010 20:51

I would actually like to know what the club are doing about getting shot of Cummings. He was taken on to go straight into the First Team, so I would assume he's not on peanuts, but pre-season line-ups make it pretty obvious that he's at best 6th choice for RB, so staying at RFC with little hope of playing does no good for him or us.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 22 Aug 2010 20:56

Wycombe Royal
Terminal Boardom And yet, in some quarters, SSC is derided for allowing us to be relegated from the Prem. Why were we relegated? Because SJM knew that serious money needed to be invested and he refused to allow the squad to be strengthened. As I have said elsewhere, SJM hates the thought of people he considers socially below him having the ability to drive a flash motor!

It was common knowlegde at the time that Coppell had the funds but chose not to invest as he thought the existing squad was good enough. HIS failure to sign a right back to replace the injured Little was single biggest factor in us getting relegated. A new right winger to play instead of Oster would have gained us at least one extra point.

A right back to replace Little? News to me :shock:

under the tin

by under the tin » 22 Aug 2010 20:56

I'm not as strident as some in my criticisms of our chairman.
At the end of the day, I know I owe a debt of gratitude to him (and Mr. Tranter, RIP) for saving my beloved team from oblivion.
What irks me are those who spend their lives on here licking his @rse. He may be a successful businessman, but he didn't part the Red Sea.
He, like all humans whose 5hit stinks, makes mistakes, and what worries me is seeing the same mistakes repeated.
My arguement, all through this thread, has been about not what is, but what could be.
You reckon that the reason why we were relegated was because of lack of investment. I agree, but only in part.
In my view, the signing of new players to strenghten the club's assets not only sends out a declaration of intent to the fans, it also, CRUCIALLY, sends the same message to the existing playing staff. In the "Prem years", all we had was our chairman moaning about extortionate players' wages, and our need to live within our means. This changes the playing field. From being a "club that's going in the right direction"-Shorey, it's a club that's treading water.
Let's be silly now. Had we signed Franco Baresi, do you think that might have possibly influenced Sidwell/Shoreys decision to leave a club that they considered would not further their professional ambitions?
Ok, it's a silly example, but the noises coming out from the club nowadays suggest much the same kind of vibe, at a lower (champ), level. How long will our better players want to tread water here? (I include our better academy lads) Take away our better players, and we are back where JM came in.

That, in my view, is a waste. Great big stadium. Iddy Biddy team.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 22 Aug 2010 21:00

under the tin

I'm not as strident as some in my criticisms of our chairman.
At the end of the day, I know I owe a debt of gratitude to him (and Mr. Tranter, RIP) for saving my beloved team from oblivion.
What irks me are those who spend their lives on here licking his @rse. He may be a successful businessman, but he didn't part the Red Sea.
He, like all humans whose 5hit stinks, makes mistakes, and what worries me is seeing the same mistakes repeated.
My arguement, all through this thread, has been about not what is, but what could be.
You reckon that the reason why we were relegated was because of lack of investment. I agree, but only in part.
In my view, the signing of new players to strenghten the club's assets not only sends out a declaration of intent to the fans, it also, CRUCIALLY, sends the same message to the existing playing staff. In the "Prem years", all we had was our chairman moaning about extortionate players' wages, and our need to live within our means. This changes the playing field. From being a "club that's going in the right direction"-Shorey, it's a club that's treading water.
Let's be silly now. Had we signed Franco Baresi, do you think that might have possibly influenced Sidwell/Shoreys decision to leave a club that they considered would not further their professional ambitions?
Ok, it's a silly example, but the noises coming out from the club nowadays suggest much the same kind of vibe, at a lower (champ), level. How long will our better players want to tread water here? (I include our better academy lads) Take away our better players, and we are back where JM came in.

That, in my view, is a waste. Great big stadium. Iddy Biddy team.

Top post. Should be framed. ^^This x 10000.

723 posts