Back from the Game - Forest (H)

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Back from the Game - Forest (H)

by Whore Jackie » 21 Aug 2010 22:09

Wycombe Royal Feds had one of those moments today like when you see someone get flashed to let them out of a junction and they judt pull out without checking the other way. One of his teammates told Feds that Kebe was available and he just aimed a kick in that direction without checking the route was clear.

Perhaps if he'd seen the acres of space that Kebe was in, from the moment the Forest attack broke down, and thrown the ball immediately, rather than dicking around in front of Earnshaw, he'd be a little-less accident prone.

pea
Hob Nob Regular

by pea » 21 Aug 2010 23:05

Agree that Camp was overall MotM. Was left disappointed today because I thought we did so much right but were just blunt and ineffective in the final third. But nevertheless we forced Camp into at least three quality saves (Kebe's header, Howards volley and Howards free kick).

Those criticising Howard need to pay more attention, been our biggest attacking threat the last two games and been the only midfielder to really take control of the game

I'm surprised people are still moaning about defensive cover, in the ideal world we'd have more strength in depth but what we really need is a dangerous striker. Hopefully that means Hunt back to full fitness or Church to step up to the mark rather than relying on a Premiership reject on loan (unless there's another Bellamy lying around).

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 21 Aug 2010 23:06

I thought we did pretty well today against a decent Forest side who aim to draw every game away.

On another day we would have won that game comfortably, after a shaky start and getting the goal on pretty well our first attack. I thought Long was actually pretty decent except for his poor first touch, Kebe didn't get into the game much but he was a lot more physical than last season. It was pretty much stalemate in midfield, in defence Pearce looked a lot more comfortable playing alongside Mills. Good game from Gunnar, and despite a lot of question marks over Williams, he was not as shit as I thought he was.

Playing 451 there will always be few chances up front, however we created a few great chances and Camp made some decent saves.

I left the game thinking we'd chucked away 2 points and Camp has saved them or Fed's blunder had cost us.

buzzbee

by buzzbee » 22 Aug 2010 00:46

I thought we still lacked a little crispness and confidence, but from the time our goal went in, we were the better team. I also thought our reaction to their goal was far better than when Scunny scored their first last week.

SLAMMED Why does Shane Long keep playing on the wing when he's our only striker up front :|
When you play with 1 up, this will always happen. the guy up front will play right along the forward line. However, my big concern was that when he did get the ball out wide, there should have been midfielders busting a gut to get into the box. If they see Long out wide, they know that there's no one there for him to cross to. They need to recognise this and get in there as soon as they see him get possession in a wide area.

A few player remarks...

Fedds - Bad day at the office, with the howler. He did make a couple of good stops as well though
Williams - Willing to give him the benefit of the doubt after his debut, but was poor again today. Had one good moment going forward
Pearce - Has his detractors, but he was superb today!
Bryn - Without any real pace to contend with, he was totally in control at right back. Great performance
Howard - Not so sure I agree with Pea that he was our biggest attacking threat. I can only remember one real chance for him, similar to the one Sig scored last week, but he shot wide. Works hard though
McAnuff - Frustrated me today. So many times he had the chance to run down the line, for the pass to be put through and he came short for it.
Kebe - Seems to come alive a little after half time and did so again today. Had a spell in the middle and looked a real threat there.
Long - When playing up front alone, you need to be a willing worker and he is, but you also need a bit more guile. I don't think he's all that hard for defenders to play against and, not being a goal scorer (In all competitions, he has never yet scored double figures in a season) he needs more help from the midfield. I don't think he's the right man for a 1 man attack

rob the royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rob the royal » 22 Aug 2010 02:34

Fed - 5 Big balls up. Nice save though.
Williams - 5.5 Some good bits, some bad bits.
Mills - 6 Seemed very solid to me, winning tons of headers.
Pearce - 6 Still has a habit of booting the ball straight to the oppo keeper but he only got turned once (I think) and won quite a few of his aerial battles.
Bryn - 7 A thouroughly impressive display both defending and going forward.
McAnuff - 5.5 Mostly quiet, should have realised by now shooting from the edge of the box is his rarely likely to be his best option as it always results in a pea roller straight at the keeper.
Karacan - 6 Didn't boss it but put himself about on the floor and in the air, did well.
Howard - 6 Usual sort of stuff, bit of linking up here and there, pretty good.
Kebe - 6.5 Always a danger, great to see him steaming past two Forest defenders who had a massive headstart on him - won numerous headers...
Sig - 6 some very neat touches, not firing on all cylinders though.
Long 6 Worked tirelessly, did his best to win the countless balls being blasted up to him - Bryn seemed to pick him out well with balls at or below chest height -if only everyone else gave him this helping hand.

I'd like to see us play 442 at home sometimes - the best way to do that I reckon is to sacrifice a winger and put Gylfi out wide as we did last year - I'd give McAnuff a 'rest' and stick Noel up front with Long.

Shame we didn't make a change earlier today... still as Jem said at the moment it seems like two points lost but if Forest start to pick up steam we might look upon it as a point gained. I think we'll be alright this season so long as we don't get many key player injuries...

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 22 Aug 2010 07:44

At this stage of the season everything is so meaningless. To be honest its how we are stacking up at the beginning of October league wise that's going to matter as that will dictate whether we have a season of struggle or a season of challenging (I would be happy with us being in mid table at this time).

Looking at the way things are this season its clear that JM is erring on the side of caution and continuing to play the no money option big time, therefore there is no out and out ambition to get promoted this season despite the PR cobblers that keeps being spouted.

If there was ambition we would have already moved to fill the centre back problem and probably brought in a striker of some use. And I find it utterly galling that while we seem to "cut our cloth" certain other sides are still living beyond their means with players they can't possibly afford.

I don't know where all the Premiership money went to put us in this position, one has to say though that if a lot of it was wasted on wages then the club was very badly run. On top of that the suggestion that Rasiak had to go because of his wages is very worrying as he was signed at a time when our supposed finanical problems were quite clear.

As to the game yesterday I was not that impressed by us as an attacking force for the 4th game running. We struggle and huff and puff and don't deliver very much - as shown I think by the fact that three of our goals have ostensibly been as a result of managing to get a final touch in a goal line melee. And while we do seem to be able to find the net once a game its not going to be enough given our shaky defence and the number of joke goals we give away.

No doubt the struggle will continue on Tuesday but we'll come through with a win and everyone will be content - until Leicester.

An additional worry yesterday - aside from the fact there's no plan B (personally I don't think there's much of a plan A either ) - was the lack of management decision to make changes and really go for the win.

Finally I thought Bryn was motm.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 22 Aug 2010 08:13

buzzbee Howard - Not so sure I agree with Pea that he was our biggest attacking threat. I can only remember one real chance for him, similar to the one Sig scored last week, but he shot wide.

He had a superb shot second half that produced one of Camp's best saves.

The Echo

by The Echo » 22 Aug 2010 10:29

A very predictable affair between two equally one dimensional teams. Considering both sides were set up to control the ball in midfield with three central midfielders it was strange that both sides chose not to play one single pass into the area of the field that they'd loaded with players. the central ninth.

We appear to have gone backwards from last season. we miss the thrusting runs of Bertrand especially as he so often created an option on the inside left channel. I always thought these runs were an underestimated dimension to our game and encouraged other to find and use space.

We seem solid defensively which for me was the only positive.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 22 Aug 2010 10:39

I think it's indicative of the lack of strength and depth in our current team that Bryn was one of our best players out there yesterday.

If Mr Mad cannot see that McD needs some loanees or players bought for cash to strengthen our weak areas - then there's no hope.

I can't get too excited about our squad at the moment, I'm fearful that we're going to lose one or 2 players before the end of the transfer window and until the window has passed and we know who is staying/who has come in - I'll reserve judgement. Our squad could be very different to the one we have now.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 22 Aug 2010 11:17

Thought it was alright for a home draw, we didn't play badly at all.

Mad Dog's Ghost

by Mad Dog's Ghost » 22 Aug 2010 11:56

Spot on Echo,

Bertrand's forward runs and creativity will be sorely missed. Didn't see last week's game. I trust Williams was a bit more composed on the ball than yesterday?

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 22 Aug 2010 12:48

Mad Dog's Ghost Spot on Echo,

Bertrand's forward runs and creativity will be sorely missed. Didn't see last week's game. I trust Williams was a bit more composed on the ball than yesterday?

Didn't see his previous game but if yesterday's was an improvement!

Only broke forward once although it was a great run and he nearly scored when he did! Offered us precious little going forward. In the first half decided to have a kip allowing his man to run right past him and produce a good header that was only prevented from being a goal by a great save from Feds!

Early days, but I'd be staggered if he turns out to be anywhere near as good as the left backs that have preceded him.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: anyone else hate England and the world cup?

by brendywendy » 22 Aug 2010 13:19

Surprised by alot of the criticism reviews and reports of this game. Thought forest started well in possession, but we looked solid and kept pushing them back. We scored against the run of play and looked the best team in a tight 1st half. 2nd half all over them,despite our deficiences up front.and apart from the howler from fed we would have won by 2 goals and kept a well deserved clean sheet. We arent firing yet,and the balance isnt quite right,but we are improving nicely.
Pearce-8 read the game superbly and looks good again alongside mills-7
bryn- 8 stepped in again with an assured performance at the back and coming forward.
Williams-6 and slowly finding his way.
Sig-7 a little lost,but still a threat.
Long-6 worked hard.won tons of headers but flicked on to no one.made to look worse by our stupid hoof ball
howard-8 only player to try and succeed to play on the deck,always looking to move the ball forward to feet.
Karacan-6 did ok,and improving with this run of games
kebe and jobi played well and created stuff on both sides.
And have to disagree about forest.after our goal they were apalling and davis spent the game going mental or holding his head in hands. If they are one of the best teams in the division then we can go up.

Wax Jacket
Hob Nob Legend

by Wax Jacket » 22 Aug 2010 13:37

dunno if anyone's pointed out

a) Siggurdsson gave the ball away to set up the Forest move that led to Afed having the ball in his hands, just dicking about
b) Shane Long is oxf*rd SHIT

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 22 Aug 2010 14:02

Royal Lady I think it's indicative of the lack of strength and depth in our current team that Bryn was one of our best players out there yesterday..

Jeez, how insulting is that to a dedicated pro who rarely lets us down.

If Mr Mad cannot see that McD needs some loanees or players bought for cash to strengthen our weak areas - then there's no hope.

No hope for what?

I can't get too excited about our squad at the moment, I'm fearful that we're going to lose one or 2 players before the end of the transfer window and until the window has passed and we know who is staying/who has come in - I'll reserve judgement. Our squad could be very different to the one we have now

A few years ago the thought of having a couple of Academy youngsters good enough for the 1st team would have had you wetting yourself. Now we have several regular starters and a bench full of them waiting to get on (not to mention a whole Reserve team full of them) and there's nothing to excite you?

I clearly remember the days when Scott Taylor, Adrian William, James Lambert etc. played their first few games - how exciting it was to see new home grown talent coming on - a great feeling. And they always used to get the biggest cheer of the day when coming on as sub, and/or when their names were announced.

How times have changed - it's all taken for granted now it seems, but this is, in my opinion, Madejski's greatest achievement for this club. Not getting to the Premier League, not the new stadium but the fact that he has financed the building and staffing of one of the best and most prolific academies in the country.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 22 Aug 2010 14:28

Well, excuse me for having a bloody opinion!!

Firstly, my point was that Bryn, an ageing pro was one of the best out there yesterday, and to my mind, it DOESN'T say much for the rest of them if someone who was sat on the bench and is seen as "back up" was the one having his best game.

Secondly, if we don't get in some more players either by paying or loaning, there isn't much hope, as far as I can see, of us competing with many of the other teams in the league who have brought in some really good players - and NO HOPE of us getting in play-offs.

Finally, as we all know, any player (Academy or otherwise) who shows any sign of being a good player is sold off - my fear is that the likes of Sig, Antonio et al may not be here come the close of the transfer window.

So, pardon me if I have an opinion that you don't agree with - ^^^ that is what I happen to think at this moment in time and unless we get in some more players and/or keep everyone who is currently here by end of the transfer window, my opinion will remain the same. Thank you!

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 22 Aug 2010 14:34

Its good to see a bit of passion returning to the Team Board...its been long overdue.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 22 Aug 2010 14:37

:shock:

Way way over emotional in your response RL.

I don't mind you having an opinion and (unlike many of your cretinous friends on here) I won't insult you for having it, but I think your way of looking at this issue is wrong, short-sighted and totally at odds with the real position we are in. There's loads to be happy with - so progress has stalled, but we support a football team and a club that is run with financial integrity and a commendable vision for ultimate self-sufficiency and it will be hard, in the short-term, to keep up with those clubs who have less visionary and ethical board management in place.

I haven't kept a tally but what decent Academy players have we sold off as soon as they look like being any good in recent times?

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 22 Aug 2010 14:40

I do know this. I even said a few days ago that I'd actually be happier to know that in 20 years time we still actually HAVE a club, whatever division we are in - but I do get fed up of the annual diatribe from Mr Mad pretending he has ambition for the club - when, in reality, it seems he's using some of the club's money to fund his other ailing businesses. Even then, he's done well to keep us on an even keel and not massively in debt.

But watching yesterday, I can see that although we might still have a club in 20 years, as opposed to the Pompey's and Cardiff's of this world, we will be sliding down the league at this rate and we however tightly run we are currently, we will suffer financially if we don't spend prudently and wisely now.

Seal
Hob Nob Regular

by Seal » 22 Aug 2010 14:44

The best half of football I saw us play last season was against Villa in the FA Cup. The starting team was:-

Federici, Mills, Griffin, Ingimarsson, Bertrand, Tabb, Howard, Kebe, Sigurdsson, Long, Church.

The 2nd best performance was the first half at home to Cov (3-0). That team was:-

Federici, Mills, Griffin, Khizanishvili, Bertrand, Tabb, Karacan, Kebe, McAnuff, Rasiak, Church

Less a couple of defenders, exactly the same squad as now. Where has that energy, pace and ability to cut through opposition teams like butter gone?