Lee Hendrie on trial at Reading FC

208 posts
Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Lee Hendrie on trial at Reading FC

by Hoop Blah » 10 Sep 2010 13:39

Yes there are hopefully worse teams than us in this league.

My hopes for the club aren't to be looking at the bottom 3 and thinking it's ok we're better than them (that seems to ring a bell from a few years back when too many thought there were enough teams worse than us).

I don't expect us to be world beaters, or even big the best in the league. I do want us to have a side that stands a decent chance of getting in the playoffs. Right now I don't think our squad is quite good enough to do it. They might still get that high as quirky outcomes in this league are quite common, but I think we have too many players not quite up to scratch to be looking at the playoffs right now.

sheshnu

by sheshnu » 10 Sep 2010 13:45

I agree with your non-extremist views :)

But, to quote none other than David Beckham: "Hopefully, you know, you never know."

Wise words.

roadrunner
Hob Nob Regular

by roadrunner » 10 Sep 2010 18:02

rabidbee
roadrunner It certainly doesn't make sense bringing him in on trial with a view to a permanent deal when McDermott says we already have enough players that can play in that position. Odd.

Until McD saw him on trial, how could he really judge whether Hendrie was better than what we already have?

McDermott was quoted as saying we didn't need Hendrie because we have enough players who can play in his position, not that we had 'better' players in that position. If he'd said the latter I wouldn't question bringing the lad in on trial.

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 11 Sep 2010 00:02

roadrunner
rabidbee
roadrunner It certainly doesn't make sense bringing him in on trial with a view to a permanent deal when McDermott says we already have enough players that can play in that position. Odd.

Until McD saw him on trial, how could he really judge whether Hendrie was better than what we already have?

McDermott was quoted as saying we didn't need Hendrie because we have enough players who can play in his position, not that we had 'better' players in that position. If he'd said the latter I wouldn't question bringing the lad in on trial.

A modicum of tact on Brian's part? No need to be a oxf*rd about it, is there? Besides, he might not think that the players we have are better anyway; just that Hendrie is no better than them (a slight difference).

glass half full
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you see someone without a smile..... give him one of yours!

by glass half full » 11 Sep 2010 03:11

Good team management all round, letting Hendrie down gently, whilst not upsetting existing players. Hendrie will find somewhere else soon if he has the right attitude.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 11 Sep 2010 09:18

Jeffers217
I agree, we definately have more of a team spirit about us at the moment which is good but you hit the nail on the head when you said it comes down to the quality of the players which is something we do lack. Yes we are better than Palace and Leicester as a whole but then they have players we don't have. Palace have Ambrose (admittedly not playing 2moro) who can hit a good few goals from centre mid- we don't have one of those now. Leicester have Fryatt who's gonna score goals, again we lack a prolific striker. What good is it in having a really good defence, if we have no one who can score goals to win the games?!

More good than having to score 3 goals a game because the defence is so ropey. It's an oft stated opinion that in building a strong team you start from the back.

dean horrix legend

by dean horrix legend » 17 Sep 2010 16:05

Hendrie has signed for Bradford City on a short term deal,

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 18 Sep 2010 23:56

dean horrix legend Hendrie has signed for Bradford City on a short term deal,

MADEJSKI OUT.

Or something equally preposterous.

208 posts