Old Reading Footage on VHS/film/Youtube

610 posts
Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Old Reading Footage on VHS

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 05 Dec 2010 20:32

T.R.O.L.I.
Harpers So Solid Crew Would love to see the James Lambert wonder goal again, Cup game I recall, bit hazy tho.

I thought that was the 3-3 v Forest (the one where Steve Stone missed an open goal in front of the Tilehurst End).

Sure you are right, tho feel sue that a game against Brum or/and Orient was on the telly and he starred then as well.

Love to see them all again .

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 05 Dec 2010 20:35

still have the vids from P.A.P. (was it really 2002?) sure to have most things on them

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 05 Dec 2010 21:32

strap
Ian Royal Erm Strap... that's not actually what Brooking said, so I wouldn't quote it if I were you.

It's essentially what he implied, but he said it in at least a slightly more veiled way, even if it was blatantly obvious what he meant and made the others uncomfortable.

That's exactly what he said Ian, word for word. Ray Stubbs was apoplectic, and couldn't believe what he was hearing - neither could I, hence my maniacal desire to find a copy of the interview. If you can send me a link to the interview and I am proven wrong, I will take my punishment at any court that the pcunt Brooking cares to take me, but until then I stand by my statement.

I actually don't think there is any public copy of the interview just because of its content. If there had been, Brooking would have been up before the FA long before now.

It's not, Strap.

He was part of the commentary team for an England game somewhere in Eastern Europe and was being interviewed by Motson for Football Focus. What he said was that they had made an "official" approach which had been rebuffed and would now explore different avenues to get their man. Certainly no mention of legal or illegal moves althoughn the implication was clearly there for all but John Motson to see. Ray Stubbs, far prom being apoplectic, looked more aghast as if to say "Did he just say what I think he said" but did not take him to task as I clearly remember watching it live and yelling "Say something, don't let him get away with that, you dozy tosser".

In fact, Brooking was up before the FA, shortly after, for a job interview. They were clearly impressed enough by his ethics to offer him a job

Bandini
Hob Nob Regular
Location: No one must know I dropped my glasses in the toilet.

by Bandini » 05 Dec 2010 21:51

My recollection of his words were that he had tried an official approach but that as that failed he would now try "another way".

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 05 Dec 2010 21:55

All this RFC footage just crying out to be put on to DVD. Has anyone thought about contacting the club to find out whether they would be interested in using these tapes to produce a few 'RFC history' DVDs? I am sure that R£ading FC almost certainly wouldn't be bothered in all honesty though :roll:

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 05 Dec 2010 22:01

Harpers So Solid Crew
T.R.O.L.I.
Harpers So Solid Crew Would love to see the James Lambert wonder goal again, Cup game I recall, bit hazy tho.

I thought that was the 3-3 v Forest (the one where Steve Stone missed an open goal in front of the Tilehurst End).

Sure you are right, tho feel sue that a game against Brum or/and Orient was on the telly and he starred then as well.

Love to see them all again .

The James Lambert wonder goal was against Forest in championship on a friday night live game on Sky.

He also played a blinder in the Birmingham game above (FA CUp round 1 tie) - that was our first Sky televised game (think it was Sky's first season of live football). We were tier 3 at time. Our second round game was Vs Orient and then our third round replay Vs Man City was also screened.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 05 Dec 2010 22:31

People should convert these videos and put them on YouTube.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 05 Dec 2010 22:37

From Despair To Where?

He was part of the commentary team for an England game somewhere in Eastern Europe and was being interviewed by Motson for Football Focus. What he said was that they had made an "official" approach which had been rebuffed and would now explore different avenues to get their man. Certainly no mention of legal or illegal moves althoughn the implication was clearly there for all but John Motson to see. Ray Stubbs, far prom being apoplectic, looked more aghast as if to say "Did he just say what I think he said" but did not take him to task as I clearly remember watching it live and yelling "Say something, don't let him get away with that, you dozy tosser".

In fact, Brooking was up before the FA, shortly after, for a job interview. They were clearly impressed enough by his ethics to offer him a job

Well it does seem as though the collective HNA memory is better than mine as at least 3 or 4 seem to agree on this vesion of events, so will bow to the majority. However, I'm convinced I heard what I thought i heard, time is clearly catching up with me. I was also convinced he was talking directly to Ray Stubbs rather thn via Motty, so just shows how bad my grey matter has become!

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 05 Dec 2010 22:53

From Despair To Where?
strap
Ian Royal Erm Strap... that's not actually what Brooking said, so I wouldn't quote it if I were you.

It's essentially what he implied, but he said it in at least a slightly more veiled way, even if it was blatantly obvious what he meant and made the others uncomfortable.

That's exactly what he said Ian, word for word. Ray Stubbs was apoplectic, and couldn't believe what he was hearing - neither could I, hence my maniacal desire to find a copy of the interview. If you can send me a link to the interview and I am proven wrong, I will take my punishment at any court that the pcunt Brooking cares to take me, but until then I stand by my statement.

I actually don't think there is any public copy of the interview just because of its content. If there had been, Brooking would have been up before the FA long before now.

It's not, Strap.

That's pretty close to exactly how I remember it.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 06 Dec 2010 07:35

strap
From Despair To Where?

Well it does seem as though the collective HNA memory is better than mine as at least 3 or 4 seem to agree on this vesion of events, so will bow to the majority. However, I'm convinced I heard what I thought i heard, time is clearly catching up with me. I was also convinced he was talking directly to Ray Stubbs rather thn via Motty, so just shows how bad my grey matter has become!

It happens but it doesn't make your opinion of Brooking any less valid.

Great work with the Youtube clips though, especially Alan Pouton's og at Grimsby. Never seen that before other than live at the game. Always had the impression it was from close to the half way line. By far the best og I've ever witnessed.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 06 Dec 2010 09:46

fozzy I have also sourced the highlights of the Reading/Arsenal cup game from 5th Feb 1972 but I need about 20 people to commit to sharing the cost as the archive source want £240 for it.
Is that to buy the rights to the original footage or just for a copy?

I'd be willing to donate a tenner, however it might be something STAR could get involved with if it's acquiring the rights to the footage to safeguard for future generations.

Hugo Boss
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Hugo Boss » 06 Dec 2010 11:54

I'd be more than happy to donate a few quid to get all these different video clips put on a DVD. The clips, added to Floyd's awesome pic on Facey B, have got me in a right old Elm Park nostalgia mood. Plus, my Old Man would love to see the old footage i'm sure.

Nick Shorey my Lord!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Nick Shorey my Lord! » 06 Dec 2010 13:59

Mid Sussex Royal The James Lambert wonder goal was against Forest in championship on a friday night live game on Sky.

He also played a blinder in the Birmingham game above (FA CUp round 1 tie) - that was our first Sky televised game (think it was Sky's first season of live football). We were tier 3 at time. Our second round game was Vs Orient and then our third round replay Vs Man City was also screened.

Hence... "he only plays for the camera's" :lol:

peterroyal76
Hob Nob Regular
Location: North stand B13.......where all the empty seats are!

by peterroyal76 » 06 Dec 2010 17:56

Forbury Lion
fozzy I have also sourced the highlights of the Reading/Arsenal cup game from 5th Feb 1972 but I need about 20 people to commit to sharing the cost as the archive source want £240 for it.

I'd be willing to donate a tenner, however it might be something STAR could get involved with if it's acquiring the rights to the footage to safeguard for future generations.

Count me in for a tenner too. If you get enough interest PM me and we'll sort the details.

Plus excellent work as normal strap!

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

by Fox Talbot » 06 Dec 2010 18:45

peterroyal76
Forbury Lion

Count me in for a tenner too. If you get enough interest PM me and we'll sort the details.

Plus excellent work as normal strap!

Is it just the goals or the whole Big Match version? If it's the latter / longer I'm in. I'd also recommend an approach to STAR.

REmember years ago somebody did soemthing similar for the Watney Cup v Man U highlights and showed it at the Rendezvous.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 07 Dec 2010 10:52

Nick Shorey my Lord!
Mid Sussex Royal The James Lambert wonder goal was against Forest in championship on a friday night live game on Sky.

Hence... "he only plays for the camera's" :lol:

He only plays on the telly actually :wink:

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 07 Dec 2010 10:53

Maybe STAR cound liase with the Arsenal supporters Trust and footage can be shared?

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 07 Dec 2010 11:05

Having transferred my VHS to hard drive do I now throw away the vids??

Year of the Royals, Record breaking and royals on the up???

Or does anyone want them.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 07 Dec 2010 12:14

Harpers So Solid Crew Having transferred my VHS to hard drive do I now throw away the vids??

Year of the Royals, Record breaking and royals on the up???

Or does anyone want them.
I would hang onto them until you have copied from hard drive to DVD in case your hard drive fails.

I wouldn't mind borrowing them to copy to DVD, unless you have a DVD copy already I can borrow?

I've got the 90's VHS highlights DVD's converted to DVD if you want any of them, also got the DVD highlights for most seasons up to our first Prem season.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 07 Dec 2010 14:02

PM me your addy and they will be on ya doorstep by Xmas. the Original VHS that is.

610 posts