The countdown to Ian Harte scoring 10+ league goals

287 posts
St. Brynjar
Hob Nob Regular

Re: The countdown to Ian Harte scoring 10+ league goals

by St. Brynjar » 27 Aug 2015 14:08

Woodcote Royal
St. Brynjar Good set piece taker. Couldn't defend for his life, constant liability. Good luck to him.

Utter bollox from a typical source.

K. He was the weak link in a defence that contained Shaun Cummings. Don't doubt his professionalism but how on earth he managed to get some Prem game time is beyond me.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 27 Aug 2015 14:38

The Premiership in 2012 was a step back up too far for him but considering he was plucked from League 1 for £60,000 and immediately written off as a useless has been by many, he turned out to be a fantastic signing, Read the game well, bags of experience and a left foot to die for. Always seemed to pop up with something special when it was absolutely needed. Plus he was part of an Irish contingent at the club that gave so much spirit and heart to the squad, something utterly lacking in recent seasons.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 27 Aug 2015 14:48

Absolute quality for RFC.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 27 Aug 2015 15:47

St. Brynjar Good set piece taker. Couldn't defend for his life, constant liability. Good luck to him.

Harsh. He was an excellent set piece taker, genuinely as good as they come. Defensively he read the game very well, which mostly made up for his lack of pace, and we worked around that weakness.

wingnut
Hob Nob Regular

by wingnut » 28 Aug 2015 08:28

I still miss his set pieces - I don't think anyone has hit a decent corner since he left. I also think that none of the left backs we've had since he left have been as good either.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 28 Aug 2015 15:52

St. Brynjar
Woodcote Royal

Utter bollox from a typical source.

K. He was the weak link in a defence that contained Shaun Cummings. Don't doubt his professionalism but how on earth he managed to get some Prem game time is beyond me.

This will be the weak link in the defence that won the league and conceded fewer goals than any other club in the division?

'Couldn't defend for his life, constant liability'. Spastic comments like that make the Madejski what it is today. Full of uneducated dicks.

Best set piece taker the club has ever had. More his corners/wide free kicks than the direct goals, which were undefendable at times. Yet I recall the amount of our fans that used to slate him for not clearing the 1st man at corners half the time, completely failing to realise that the ones that did just clear the 1st man often ended in goals, and there were a lot of them.

St. Brynjar
Hob Nob Regular

by St. Brynjar » 28 Aug 2015 20:37

Tony Le Mesmer
St. Brynjar
Woodcote Royal Utter bollox from a typical source.

This will be the weak link in the defence that won the league and conceded fewer goals than any other club in the division?

'Couldn't defend for his life, constant liability'. Spastic comments like that make the Madejski what it is today. Full of uneducated dicks.

Best set piece taker the club has ever had. More his corners/wide free kicks than the direct goals, which were undefendable at times. Yet I recall the amount of our fans that used to slate him for not clearing the 1st man at corners half the time, completely failing to realise that the ones that did just clear the 1st man often ended in goals, and there were a lot of them.

:lol:

You seem like a lovely chap.

Despite being spastic and uneducated, I can actually remember that season, and he was a very, very average left back. Regular slips and dodgy passes, being bailed out by Gorkss or Pearce countless times. Have a look on YouTube, there are plenty of examples.

I agree he had a good left foot. This was a luxury we couldn't always afford and in key games he was woefully exposed - the play-off final where he was raped by his winger every few minutes comes to mind.

Perhaps I'm just biased because he was a cunt to referees all the times, and his awful gamesmanship to get Holt sent off a few years ago against Norwich. I wish him well but the fact he's retiring doesn't change my view that he wasn't a very good player.

287 posts