Back from the game - Preston

174 posts
andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

Back from the game - Preston

by andrew1957 » 05 Apr 2011 23:10

Well that was a strange evening.

The first 30 minutes Reading dominated - but apart from the goal created little.

For the next 30 minutes it was all Preston really and we seemed to lose our way in a crowded and ineffective midfield with Tabb, Karacan and Howard all getting in each other's way. Preston scored a lucky but probably deserved equaliser.

Brian did the brave but obvious and reverted to 4-4-2 and the last 30 minutes were very exciting. Just when I thought it was not going to be our night - Brian brought on R-K for the tiring McAnuff and a minute later we had three points.

Well done to all the players for sticking with it. MOTM to Brain for making the substitutions at the right times. But great to see Legs back - what a player and Karacan looked so much better when the other two had departed.

Number 13 were fantastic tonight and really drove the team on.

The referee would have been a disgrace in a Sunday League game.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

Re: Back from the game - Preston

by John Madejski's Wallet » 05 Apr 2011 23:14

Legs is simply f*cking immense. Turned the match around as soon as he came on, winning possession 4 times in the first minute or two. So damned calm with it too.

Kebe suddenly got his head up as soon as he came on too.

Gotta buy him

Kitson12
Hob Nob Regular

by Kitson12 » 05 Apr 2011 23:15

Agree with all of that.

My MOTM has to go to Kebe, who was everywhere today, defending, attacking and scored with a very brave header.

Griff however had an absolute shocker, but I'll allow him it, as he's been out for a while.

Other than that, very pleased.

biscuitman

by biscuitman » 05 Apr 2011 23:16

Number 13 were fantastic tonight and really drove the team on.

Agree. Don't know how people can slag off Y25/26 sometimes. Games like tonight is when that part of the East Stand really backs the team. Very good second half. Thought Kararan and Legs were AGAIN surperb tonight. Griffin was awful.

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 05 Apr 2011 23:17

LOL @ MOTM Kebe :lol:

Kitson12
Hob Nob Regular

by Kitson12 » 05 Apr 2011 23:18

Focher LOL @ MOTM Kebe :lol:

Why?

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Back from the Game - Preston

by paultheroyal » 05 Apr 2011 23:19

Well, in summary, a dreadful 57 minutes (even though we scored) and then the substitutions were made which changed the game.

First half we were flat, complacent and totally switched off when we went a goal up. Almost as if the job was done. For me, and again despite the goal i thought that was Kebe's worst game in a Reading short this season. Howard was ineffective and too many short lose passes from Tabb etc.

Ingimarsson is an accident waiting to happen and Mills coming back in cannot come quick enough.

Harte and Griffin were excellent as was Kishi who is getting better and better. Delighted that Mcdermott was more creative in his substitutions by going with Manset over Church and the difference was all to see. Leigertwood was excellent when coming on and stole the show with his composure and shear presence. Robson Kanu running at players with pace also made an instant impact and pleased he got the goal.

Referee was woeful and i am not normally one to moan. Hesitant and unable to get key decisions right.

Surprised at the low attendance tonight, but a good atmosphere for first 20 mins and the last.

Onwards and upwards.
Last edited by paultheroyal on 05 Apr 2011 23:22, edited 1 time in total.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 05 Apr 2011 23:21

Kebe MOTM and Griffin dreadful - Kitson13, were you at the game tonight or were you the numpty who phoned into BBC Berkshire after hearing the game on the radio and putting Kebe forward as MOTM.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 05 Apr 2011 23:21

Kebe MOTM and Griffin dreadful - Kitson12, were you at the game tonight or were you the numpty who phoned into BBC Berkshire after hearing the game on the radio and putting Kebe forward as MOTM.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 05 Apr 2011 23:22

Kitson12 .

My MOTM has to go to Kebe, who was everywhere today, defending, attacking and scored with a very brave header.

VERSUS

For me, and again despite the goal i thought that was Kebe's worst game in a Reading shirt this season.

and...

Kitson12 .

Griff however had an absolute shocker, but I'll allow him it, as he's been out for a while.

VERSUS

Harte and Griffin were excellent as was Kishi who is getting better and better.

I don't have problems with one person thinking "8" and another "6"
but how on God's earth can people be so diametrically opposed?

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 05 Apr 2011 23:22

Kitson12
Focher LOL @ MOTM Kebe :lol:

Why?

The quality of his play was quite simply woeful. His crossing was dreadful. He worked hard i will give him that, but to say he was MOTM when Karacan and Leigertwood stood out like a sore thumb is somewhat suprising.

79Royal

by 79Royal » 05 Apr 2011 23:22

Not a great deal to say about the match. Preston were good from set pieces, but didn't get a shot on target all night I don't think and were very lucky with their goal. Not sure if McCarthy got a touch on the cross, but it hit the bottom of the post and went in off his back.

Reading worked hard, but didn't create too much in the first half, apart from Kebe's goal, following great work by Long. After Preston had scored in the second half and the substitutions were made, we looked a different side and deserved to win it. Where McCarthy was unlucky, their keeper got very lucky and I think we had a good shout for a penalty too. Hal looked like he shinned his shot for the goal, but I was at the other end of the ground, so couldn't really see.

The plaudits should go to McDermott tonight, his changes won us the game. We suddenly looked a lot more assured in midfield and the ball wasn't coming straight back at us. Tabb, Howard and McAnuff didn't play badly, it just wasn't working for them and the introduction of Manset and especially Leigertwood, turned the tide.

6/10 for the performance of the players, 8/10 for McDermott.

Bring on Forest. URZ!

Kitson12
Hob Nob Regular

by Kitson12 » 05 Apr 2011 23:23

Maybe, I though he had a good game, equally as much as Karacan, who on reflection, probably deserves MOTM over Kebe.

Kitson12
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Back from the Game - Preston

by Kitson12 » 05 Apr 2011 23:25

paultheroyal Kebe MOTM and Griffin dreadful - Kitson12, were you at the game tonight or were you the numpty who phoned into BBC Berkshire after hearing the game on the radio and putting Kebe forward as MOTM.

I was. And Griffin just looked off the pace, not 100%, which I made clear in my assessment of him, much of his passing was also woeful. As for Kebe MOTM, there were a few others, Karacan in particular who were as good, but I just think that Kebe deserved it. It's my opinion, doesn't mean it's wrong, doesn't mean it's right.

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 05 Apr 2011 23:28

i couldnt help but notice Phil Brown's post match interview, where he said "the referee cost us", and "we didnt get a decision all night".

What a total helmet that northern prick is.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 05 Apr 2011 23:28

My 2 pence worth:

Griff & Ivar had a shocker.

Long, McAnuff & Legs were fantastic. Thought Legs completely turned the game - the whole midfield instantly upped their game. Such a big player for us.

Y25 great tonight - stayed with the team throughout. All in all very enjoyable.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 05 Apr 2011 23:29

Focher i couldnt help but notice Phil Brown's post match interview, where he said "the referee cost us", and "we didnt get a decision all night".

What a total helmet that northern prick is.

Just seen that. Really struggling to see the two fouls he is referring to leading to Kebe's goal.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 05 Apr 2011 23:29

Don't think we should be criticizing any of the players tonight as they all put a shift in. However, I did not think Kebe had one of his best performances. The players that stood out were Legs, Khiz and Karacan. I also thought Harte was very good tonight. Manset also made a difference. Longy runs and runs but probably not his best night either.

SHORT AND CURLY

by SHORT AND CURLY » 05 Apr 2011 23:30

Just seen Brown on Sky Sports saying the ref cost his team tonight!

CHRIST ON A BIKE WTF has he got to moan about? I thought the ref was dreadful and easily their twelfth man!
Brown wants to get that Tango Tan out of his eyes
IDIOT!!!

southstand67

by southstand67 » 05 Apr 2011 23:34

I didn't think Griff played too badly - thought he did well on a couple of occasions to defend and also to get a cross in. Didn't think Jimmy Kebe had a brilliant match, he has definitely played better, but we won hey?

174 posts