Loan Watch 2012-2013

736 posts
retro royal

Loan Watch 2012-2013

by retro royal » 17 Jul 2011 07:11

dundalkfc.com ‘Man of the Match’ Carl McHugh is hoping to “kick on” after an impressive debut performance as he helped Dundalk to a first clean-sheet in ten games as they defeated UCD 2-0 at Oriel Park on Friday evening. The 18-year-old defender, from Donegal, returned to Ireland earlier in the week on loan from English Championship club Reading, and he says he has settled in well to life at the border venue.

Settling in
McHugh is living with teammate Dean Bennett, and the pair put in an accomplished display at the heart of defence as the Lilywhites recorded their first clean-sheet since the visit of Derry City in late May. And the youngster has been pleased with how his first week has gone with his new housemate and club. “Dean is great,” Carl told dundalkfc.com. “He is a good pro, he’ll look after me. He has been around the game a long time so he’ll look after me well. I’ve settled in grand. All the lads are great. Hopefully, I’ll just kick on from here now.”

Higher tempo
McHugh had played 90 minutes for the Reserves on Tuesday night, his first full game having only returned to pre-season training last week, and asked how he felt going into Friday’s game, he said: “I felt good. I did my recovery properly, used the ice baths and that. I felt good. I had a good rest, I was ready to go and I’m just glad I got through the 90 minutes. It was a higher tempo but I thought I did alright. They got a few balls and tried to turn us. I thought they had a bit of a threat from set-pieces but I thought we dealt with it, the back four and the players in front of us as well. As a whole, I thought we did well.”

Solid game
Goals at the end of either half from Daniel Kearns, from the penalty spot, and substitute Johnny Breen were enough to give Dundalk a vital victory as they moved to within six points of fourth-placed Saint Patrick’s Athletic. And McHugh was happy with his side’s display, particularly as they kept UCD scoreless. “I thought it was a decent performance,” Carl said. “We kept the clean-sheet and that’s the main one, from my point of view anyway, and to have a good, solid first game. I thought my fitness was alright. I felt good through the whole game. I didn’t feel I was tiring really much so I was pleased with that.

Positives
“I thought there were a lot of positives,” he added. “I thought the team played really well. We took our goals, maybe could have had a few more, but when they had it we were patient and we got our chances and we took them, and defended well.” Dundalk hit the front in injury-time at the end of the first half when Kearns converted from the spot after Mark Griffin had been fouled, and McHugh admitted: “That was massive. It settled everyone down going into half-time. We knew what we had to do in the second half then, just to keep the clean-sheet, keep it going and hopefully get a second. And when we did, it clinched the game. We had a few chances but that’s football sometimes. We got the three points and that’s all that matters, really.”

Ferris
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Loan Watch 2011-2012

by Ferris » 27 Jul 2011 10:34

Jack Mills is likely to join Leyton Orient on loan.

UpNorth

by UpNorth » 29 Jul 2011 22:14

Jake Taylor joins Aldershot on a one month loan deal.

bennno

RUMOUR - JAKE TAYLOR TO ALDERSHOT - LOAN

by bennno » 30 Jul 2011 06:56

Looks like JT is going on loan to Aldershot, he is a tidy player but guess the restricted squad size means he wont make bench and good to get match experience?

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

Re: RUMOUR - JAKE TAYLOR TO ALDERSHOT - LOAN

by Barry the bird boggler » 30 Jul 2011 08:00

bennno Looks like JT is going on loan to Aldershot, he is a tidy player but guess the restricted squad size means he wont make bench and good to get match experience?

Exactly, this is enforced by the bloody stupid change in the rule limiting sides to just 5 subs now.

UpNorth

by UpNorth » 30 Jul 2011 11:21

Why is this in rumours ????

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 30 Jul 2011 12:19

Would we have sent out Taylor if we were allowed 7 subs? Oh well, hope he gets some decent experience. I imagine it'll be extended if he does well and we're going okay without him.

Jimbo

by Jimbo » 30 Jul 2011 13:51

Because it's a rumour?

TedBundy89

by TedBundy89 » 30 Jul 2011 14:30

Jimbo Because it's a rumour?

No it's not. It happened last night.

Friday's Legacy
Hob Nob Regular

by Friday's Legacy » 30 Jul 2011 15:36

bennno Looks like JT is going on loan to Aldershot, he is a tidy player but guess the restricted squad size means he wont make bench and good to get match experience?

this is the sort of move we set-up for our youngsters and will do the lad the world of good.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 30 Jul 2011 17:31

Barry the bird boggler

Exactly, this is enforced by the bloody stupid change in the rule limiting sides to just 5 subs now.

I'd rather he was playing for aldershot than sat on our bench, maybe getting 10 minutes every month or so.

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 30 Jul 2011 22:17

I'm sure that we'd rather have a player who's match fit - noth physically and mentally - than on who's spent a month not playing or just in the reserves.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 30 Jul 2011 22:45

I've been saying to people that maybe the 5 sub rule isn't actually such a bad thing because we won't need to keep the likes of Taylor around in case we need him for the bench which means he can go out and get league experience but I keep getting shot down. I'm glad there are some people who agree.

Unless I've missed some sarcasm in there :?:

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 30 Jul 2011 23:21

Should be a good move for him, can't have trained much if at all with the team but it sounds like he made a good first impression.

Aldershot fans Really impressed with the lad today. Will be a good acquisition to the team, albeit for a month only I suppose. Good movement and knows where the goal is. Probably best position is playing behind a big front man like Rankine. Scored a well taken goal today, which was ruled out for a marginal off-side. Will get amongst the goals for us...

Yep, Taylor probably the best shots player today.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 30 Jul 2011 23:43

Simon's Church I've been saying to people that maybe the 5 sub rule isn't actually such a bad thing because we won't need to keep the likes of Taylor around in case we need him for the bench which means he can go out and get league experience but I keep getting shot down. I'm glad there are some people who agree.

Unless I've missed some sarcasm in there :?:

We were never under any obligation to fill the 7 man bench, we just had the option to name two more subs than we can now. It is certainly bad.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 30 Jul 2011 23:57

It means the use of the bench must be more calculated and tactical, I don't really see that as much of a negative or particularly harmful to us. It makes utility players much more valuable again.

I can't see how sitting on a bench and getting a few minutes here and there at a high level, can be better for a young player than starting regularly at a professional level, even if it is a lower league.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 01 Aug 2011 18:23

Our writer Sam has posted the first of his regular loan watch articles on The Tilehurst End

http://thetilehurstend.co.uk/2011/08/01 ... st-1-2011/

retro royal

by retro royal » 02 Aug 2011 08:32

Bignall signs on loan to avert striker crisis
Tuesday, August 02, 2011Exeter Express and EchoFollow
EXETER City manager Paul Tisdale believes new signing Nicholas Bignall will provide crucial striking cover during his month's loan spell from Reading.

The Grecians were facing a forwards injury crisis less than a week before the opening day of the npower League One season at Stevenage, as John O'Flynn and Guillem Bauza are not expected to be fit enough to start at Broadhall Way.

Richard Logan is also a minor doubt for that game with a thigh niggle, leaving Daniel Nardiello and Tom Nichols as the club's only fit recognised strikers.

But Tisdale yesterday dipped into the loan market to ease those concerns – and he is confident Bignall can be a hit during his St James's Park stay.

The boss said: "With John O'Flynn and Guillem Bauza injured, I thought it was prudent that we had a striker on loan for the first month of the season.

"Nicholas scored a hat-trick against our reserves in March when we played them away in a training ground game.

"He is hard-working, he has got drive to his game and I'm hoping we can provide him with a very good month of play and we can have him contributing over the next five or six games while we have got one or two injuries.

"He's a mobile, strong centre-forward and the fact he's from Reading and coming through the ranks there, you know he is having a certain type of up-bringing that we are trusting."

Bignall, 21, has enjoyed several stints on loan from the Madejski Stadium in recent years, including at Southampton last term, where he got to know recent City signing Callum McNish.

The forward says being farmed out on a regular basis means he now finds it easy to settle quickly at new clubs.

And Bignall believes he will fit in well at St James's Park because he has been told plenty of good things about the club by Royals manager and former Grecian Brian McDermott, as well as by ex-City manager Eamonn Dolan, who is Reading's youth academy manager.

"I have heard good things from the people at Reading about Exeter. The manager at Reading said he knew the manager here quite well and that he is a really good manager, a thinking manager. Hopefully he (Tisdale) will give me some game time and I will score some goals for the club," Bignall said.

"Eamonn said it was a really good set-up here. He knows some of the backroom staff and he said it would be good for me. I trust what Eamonn says so I came down here.

"Paul told me I can influence the game that we play during my time here. I can play up front on my own or in a three, work my socks off, do well for the club, score some goals and hopefully it will be a good month.

"If Exeter do play with that (4-3-3) formation it bodes well for me. All the omens are good and hopefully we can crack on now."

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 02 Aug 2011 10:41

Well he should get some games down there if they are having an injury crisis.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

Bignall to Exeter

by West Stand Man » 02 Aug 2011 21:03

SS News is showing Bignall has gone to Exeter for a month.

736 posts