Rodgers or McDermott - who got us to Wembley?

19 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Mr Irascible

Rodgers or McDermott - who got us to Wembley?

by Mr Irascible » 23 Aug 2011 21:45

Just to spark a debate!

Did Brian strike a rich vein of gold with the team he inherited? Did he just tweak it and the team did the rest? Was it Brendan's ill fortune that the team did not click until his trusty lieutenant took charge? Is Brian now losing his way?

:o

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

Re: Rodgers or McDermott - who got us to Wembley?

by Alan Partridge » 23 Aug 2011 21:48

LOL, I think it's safe to say that McDermott did considering he inherited a side in the relegation zone, that couldn't win at home, had no right back and couldn't score any goals.

Friday's Legacy
Hob Nob Regular

by Friday's Legacy » 23 Aug 2011 21:51

both. rodgers style didn't suit the team. mcdermott's did. sadly though mcdermott doesn't have the financial support that rodgers was given and we're starting to show it. kids can only take you so far. not all of them will be good enough, but the chairman is very keen for us to rely on the academy going forwards. if we do, and we don't get much support in transfer fees, forwards isn't where we're going.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 23 Aug 2011 21:55

Alan Partridge LOL, I think it's safe to say that McDermott did considering he inherited a side in the relegation zone, that couldn't win at home, had no right back and couldn't score any goals.

Where as now we have a, oh wait..............

Still Hate Futcher!

by Still Hate Futcher! » 23 Aug 2011 21:56

McDermott obviously.

Mills, Long, Karacan and Kebe were all key players last season and all were out of favour under Rodgers. Leigertwood, Griffin and Zurab all came in under McDermott and the playing style was McDermott's not Rodgers'. Add to that the fact we were struggling for confidence and morale under Rodgers and the answer is prety conclusive.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 23 Aug 2011 21:58

McDermott has been forced to sell the spine of the team in the past 12 months. Siggy, Mills and Long have been sold for multi millions and he has been given a fraction of that to spend on replacements. He deserves a lot better than that.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Alan Partridge » 23 Aug 2011 21:58

Avon Royal
Alan Partridge LOL, I think it's safe to say that McDermott did considering he inherited a side in the relegation zone, that couldn't win at home, had no right back and couldn't score any goals.

That wasn't the (main) question.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 23 Aug 2011 22:01

Alan Partridge
Avon Royal

That wasn't the (main) question.

Sorry - couldn't resist.

I think McDermott has done way more than could have been expected of him. The way he has had the spine of his team ripped out from under him, it would be no surprise if he told the club to stick it.

Madstad to Nadderud

by Madstad to Nadderud » 23 Aug 2011 22:04

Mr Irascible Just to spark a debate!

Did Brian strike a rich vein of gold with the team he inherited? Did he just tweak it and the team did the rest? Was it Brendan's ill fortune that the team did not click until his trusty lieutenant took charge? Is Brian now losing his way?

:o

Not even worth debating...Brian has more than proved his worth. Brendan inherited a very good side at Swansea so don't get any ideas that he is now a better manager.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 23 Aug 2011 22:08

Mcderm although I for one would have taken the chance and kept Todge in the hotseat

howser
Hob Nob Regular

by howser » 23 Aug 2011 22:13

Likewise, we would have been ok with BR if the owner would have backed him, no doubt it was the skill and team building excellance of McD that got us to the final, and Madejski is going to make damn sure that doesn't happen again.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Alan Partridge » 23 Aug 2011 22:20

howser Likewise, we would have been ok with BR if the owner would have backed him, no doubt it was the skill and team building excellance of McD that got us to the final, and Madejski is going to make damn sure that doesn't happen again.

Mills
McAnuff
Rasiak
Cummings
Howard

They would have funded Tommy Smith had he not gone to Portsmouth.

Rodgers was backed, the players both that he signed and the ones that were here didn't perform for him apart from McAnuff. McDermott transformed Mills, Long, Kebe, recently Cummings and really pushed Sigurdsson. Was clear the team never had a right back and lacked midfield strength. First thing he did was get Griffin in and stop Tabb wasting everyone's time at right back, then added Leigertwood.

McDermott has had FAR less resources and had the best 2 players from his teams taken away in the last 2 seasons. If he gets RFC in the top 10 this year with this squad the guy must be a genius.

Rodgers maybe deserved more time but for me personally I witnessed performances on a par with the Tommy Burns era and the 'improvement' period when he was sacked was a 2-4 result to Palace and a 1-1 draw with Scunthorpe.

The Prisoner
Hob Nob Regular

by The Prisoner » 23 Aug 2011 22:21

We seem to have a constant stream of top managers who do well in spite of the lack of cash available (gonna be polite and include BR in that - he would have come good eventually).

The last turkey we had was probably TB?

C'est la vie.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 23 Aug 2011 22:47

Rodgers was possibly the right man at the wrong time and the backing he received was funded by the hefty outgoings so it's a bit misleading to say he was backed more than McDermott was that season. McDermott did a great job of turning it round but I think anyone coming in at the time Rodgers did and having to pick up the pieces after Coppell left was always on a hiding to nothing.

McDermott is now in a similar position to Rodgers was (in terms of having to rebuild a demoralised squad) but hopefully he'll get more backing from the players and board due to his history with the club.

Also, regarding the signing of Kishanishvili and Griffin, I'm pretty sure these were both moves that Rodgers had tried to complete earlier in the season but they also fell through (Cummings wasn't bought as an immediate first team player from what was hinted at).

mambo3

by mambo3 » 23 Aug 2011 23:13

Who cares who is the right man?

One thing i can say is Reading have some youth players in their academy that are the real deal!!!

They are being kept under wraps and technically they are as good or if not better then first team players.

They have at least 2 young players that will be playing for England in the future and the balance, in time will play there part as well.

People need to watch the amount of premier + Championship Scouts that watch our Acadamy games and this is down to the Reading
system of bringing on youth.

The amount of Ex Reading Players that are playing in the leagues is proof that the Academy system works and is known as one of the best
around.

Why buy our way into the premier league with no guarantee rather then get their through the efforts of what we have got and
what we can afford.

Lets give Reading a heads up.

Magnus

by Magnus » 23 Aug 2011 23:21

I think it was number 13 the fans - well done guys, ok we didn't get the right result but it was a good day out.

pea
Hob Nob Regular

by pea » 24 Aug 2011 00:39

McAnuff was pretty much the only player that got in both teams...

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 24 Aug 2011 07:52

Magnus I think it was number 13 the fans - well done guys, ok we didn't get the right result but it was a good day out.

Don't get me started......... :wink:

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 24 Aug 2011 08:12

Looking at the players how many joined whe Coppell was here?
And I mean those that played a good few games.

19 posts   •   Page 1 of 1