Back from the game - Brizzle City

128 posts
paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Back from the game - Brizzle City

by paddy20 » 28 Sep 2011 16:45

Cant agree with some of the comments about Jay Tabb. I thought he was energetic and pushed up well in the 2nd half and was involved in a lot of our positive moves although on occasions too often played the safe ball. Our loss of form I think revolves around last years dominance of midfield by Leigherwood. I thought Church was totally ineffective, running for lost causes and then holding back on other more promising opportunities. I agree I would prefer to stick with Harte at left back or to replace Pearce at CH. Mills reminds me of Rosenoir, plenty of energy but no end product. Despite the win I would make several changes for Saturday.

Federici, Griffin Gorks, Harte, Cummings. Kebe, Tabb, Leigherwood, Kanu, Le Fondre, Manset. Hunt to replace Manset as he runs out of steam, Karacan for Tabb after he's played a full on 60 mins, Gunnarson for Griff as he tires. This way we can benefit from experience but counteract their lack of stamina. Mcanuff, if Kebe not fit but sorry hasnt played well for a long time, again probably down to getting older and playing on wing. Always looks more menacing when he switches to central midfield. I think this kind of stucture could prolong the efficacy of the older players and help bring on the younger players utilising their energy and developing their skills. But heh what do I know!!!

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 28 Sep 2011 17:40

paddy20 Cant agree with some of the comments about Jay Tabb. I thought he was energetic and pushed up well in the 2nd half and was involved in a lot of our positive moves although on occasions too often played the safe ball. Our loss of form I think revolves around last years dominance of midfield by Leigherwood. I thought Church was totally ineffective, running for lost causes and then holding back on other more promising opportunities. I agree I would prefer to stick with Harte at left back or to replace Pearce at CH. Mills reminds me of Rosenoir, plenty of energy but no end product. Despite the win I would make several changes for Saturday.

Federici, Griffin Gorks, Harte, Cummings. Kebe, Tabb, Leigherwood, Kanu, Le Fondre, Manset. Hunt to replace Manset as he runs out of steam, Karacan for Tabb after he's played a full on 60 mins, Gunnarson for Griff as he tires. This way we can benefit from experience but counteract their lack of stamina. Mcanuff, if Kebe not fit but sorry hasnt played well for a long time, again probably down to getting older and playing on wing. Always looks more menacing when he switches to central midfield. I think this kind of stucture could prolong the efficacy of the older players and help bring on the younger players utilising their energy and developing their skills. But heh what do I know!!!

2 right backs is an interesting defensive set up, or are you planning to misplace Griffin or Cummings on the left? Then again, 2 right wingers is also an interesting midfield set up.

roll over boltonhoven

by roll over boltonhoven » 28 Sep 2011 18:08

I was right behind the goal and most of the shots Feds saved were going in.
Svad Cjelli's analysis is spot on IMHO. Tabb was better than most are saying, esp after the first substitution. Shame 4 of the 5 goals were down the other end as I needed a telescope borrowed from a Californian observatory to see what happened. My ears still ringing from the way that low stand contains and amplifies all the chanting - LOL at the City donuts referring to cockneys from Reading!
A completely bizarre but great night - which will probably be followed by City sacking their manager after they tonked us for most of the match. Hey ho...

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 28 Sep 2011 20:04

2 right backs is an interesting defensive set up, or are you planning to misplace Griffin or Cummings on the left? Then again, 2 right wingers is also an interesting midfield set up.

UMM. Cummings played well at left back when he was in that position last season and Kanu has played on the left - take your point though. However, we could have been 4 down last night before Mcanuff scored and the defence were terrible and we hardly created a chance till then, and that against a team at the bottom. Having said that the three goals we scored were ( having seen them on video) good and not really James fault. What worries me is we have reverted back to kick and rush and without the composure of the older players I can only see us fighting relegation

BenReadingFC
Hob Nob Regular

by BenReadingFC » 29 Sep 2011 02:32

Allyh84 How long did that Le Fondre chant go on!?! :lol: So much better than our normal songs i.e. SIMON CHURCH... *clap clap*

Does Simon Church even have a chant?

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 29 Sep 2011 10:01

yes, he got harpers old one, as part our our song swap scheme

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 29 Sep 2011 10:40

paddy20 2 right backs is an interesting defensive set up, or are you planning to misplace Griffin or Cummings on the left?

Griffin has played a lot of his career at left back.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 29 Sep 2011 11:57

BenReadingFC
Allyh84 How long did that Le Fondre chant go on!?! :lol: So much better than our normal songs i.e. SIMON CHURCH... *clap clap*

Does Simon Church even have a chant?

Yeah it's

My great grandad (my great grandad)
Is quicker than you (Is quicker than you)
My great grandad is quicker than you
He's got one leg and 2 fake hips
My great grandad is quicker than you.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 29 Sep 2011 12:14

except hes quite quick

pea
Hob Nob Regular

by pea » 29 Sep 2011 13:12

Man Friday Thanks for this, interesting. Who was it that failed to cover back adequately for their second goal? I would have expected our defender to have closed the striker down more, if not delivered a crunching tackle (albeit he was in the penalty area). If Mills, then this is a bit worrying as someone his age should be quicker than that. If Gorky, he's amassed too much credit to be criticised just over that. I suspect it's Mills. If so, then I must confess that I'm beginning to think he’s not the solution to our left-back problem.

It was Pearce, completely daydreaming until the last minute when Pitman was miles ahead of him. Really poor shape when the winger has progressed that far down the wing. Mills did his best to cover for it but he should never be getting pulled to the front post in the situation.

I thought Pearce was great last season but he's just not concentrating properly too often this season and I think we need to give another defender a try in his place or he needs to step up (and fast with the fixtures we have coming up)

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 29 Sep 2011 13:25

pea I thought Pearce was great last season but he's just not concentrating properly too often this season and I think we need to give another defender a try in his place or he needs to step up (and fast with the fixtures we have coming up)

Perhaps he's busy trying to communicate with Gorkss and to make sure Cummings is where he should be defensively.

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 29 Sep 2011 13:37

Svlad Cjelli
pea I thought Pearce was great last season but he's just not concentrating properly too often this season and I think we need to give another defender a try in his place or he needs to step up (and fast with the fixtures we have coming up)

Perhaps he's busy trying to communicate with Gorkss and to make sure Cummings is where he should be defensively.

I think you've hit the nail on the head here Dirk. Sonko and Ingimarsson were nothing special, but they knew in Murty and Shorey they could trust they would be there doing their job, and get on with their own.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 29 Sep 2011 15:54

basically the defense needs more games together

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 29 Sep 2011 15:56

ZacNaloen basically the defense needs more games together

I hope this to be the case. I hope Pearce doesn't take steps back this season, like Church appeared to last season.

Before his injury last year, he was looking like a future fixture in our defence and possible future captain too. It would be nice to see him recapture that form, for his own sake as well as the teams. Always good to see academy products doing well.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 29 Sep 2011 15:57

when you put a whole new defence together, it takes a while

etc

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 29 Sep 2011 16:48

rhroyal

I hope this to be the case. I hope Pearce doesn't take steps back this season, like Church appeared to last season.

Before his injury last year, he was looking like a future fixture in our defence and possible future captain too. It would be nice to see him recapture that form, for his own sake as well as the teams. Always good to see academy products doing well.

That's just it, last year he didn't have to worry about anyone else because the guys he was with were dependable and trusted.

They'll sort it out in training, Pearce is good enough.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 29 Sep 2011 17:06

melonhead when you put a whole new defence together, it takes a while

etc

Especially when your midfield is porous.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 29 Sep 2011 17:42

Spot on. They'll need a dozen games at least.

pea
Hob Nob Regular

by pea » 29 Sep 2011 17:49

I think this is the defence we need to be going forward with, but Pearce really isn't playing to his potential, which is a shame because he's proved he can do it in the past. The things I'm referring to are nothing to do with Gorkss or Cummings. Look at Pearce for the second goal on Tuesday, paying no attention to his man, completely out of position, and if he wasn't and the defence had kept its shape then it should have been an easy clearance. I've only seen a handful of games this season but Pearce hasn't been winning his individual battles and the team has suffered as a result (his complete inability to win a header against Kitson or Kanu at Portsmouth springs to mind).

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 29 Sep 2011 18:31

brendywendy except hes quite quick

Compared to Pearce maybe

128 posts