McDermott via TalkSport

157 posts
Magic_Shovel

McDermott via TalkSport

by Magic_Shovel » 02 Oct 2011 11:35

I apologise if this has already been posted, I didn't realise the county boundaries had been redrawn (sloppy journalism):

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/ ... ier-league

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

Re: McDermott via TalkSport

by floyd__streete » 02 Oct 2011 12:17

Success for RFC is our players reaching the Premier League, not the club itself? How thoroughly depressing that the club sees itself as a feeder club :|

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 02 Oct 2011 12:20

floyd__streete Success for RFC is our players reaching the Premier League, not the club itself? How thoroughly depressing that the club sees itself as a feeder club :|

Not really what it says though is it Floyd... you've essentially just ignored the bit about getting there as a club.

And our success in signings is largely based on a good reputation of developing players and letting them move up when we can't get them there ourselves. Lose that and we'll struggle even more with signings given our wage restrictions.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 02 Oct 2011 12:22

I listened to it and he spoke predominantly of how selling our best players on to the Premier League makes us a successful club. 15th in the Championship would suggest otherwise.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 02 Oct 2011 12:36

floyd__streete I listened to it and he spoke predominantly of how selling our best players on to the Premier League makes us a successful club. 15th in the Championship would suggest otherwise.

10 games in Floyd. 4th, 9th, 5th are the finishes we've had. Even if we finish bottom half this season it's one bad finish in four seasons. Feel free to come back and tell me I'm wrong if we finish bottom half this season and next.

The margins in the Championship are tiny. We looked utter mid-table last season and a good run took us to the Play Off Final. We looked easily promotion material a few seasons ago and failed spectacularly, we looked relegation candidates in between and finished just shy of the Play Offs.

The woe is us stuff is a bit early given we're on an unbeaten run and just got a good point against an unbeaten side.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 02 Oct 2011 13:55

You don't get " good points" at home unless you are in the prem playing man united or man city. A few years ago before we flogged all our best players people would have been annoyed with a draw against boro at home, whilst they are a decent side they are nothing more than a play-off team at best. I thought defensively they were very inconsistent and gave us lots of chances in and around their area by giving the ball away, not from our own creativity. They also weren't very prolific.
Can't believe the optimism after hanging on for a point at home ffs.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 02 Oct 2011 14:17

You can put any positive spin on it that you choose, but it is abundantly clear that the current ownership and management of the club somehow sees selling off our best players as a 'success' to be trumpeted. Which club in the last 25 years have been most famous for producing a production line of players? Crewe Alexandra, currently languishing in the bottom reaches of League Two. I can accept the selling of our players as a necessity.....but don't patronise us supporters by saying that it is somehow indicative of a successful club.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 02 Oct 2011 14:22

How the f*ck does selling your assets make you a successful club? By that rationale Crewe Alexandra are the most successful club in England, yeah good one.

I hate the way our club is run and I hate some of our deluded bumbling clown fans which is why I'm glad I've only had the misfortune of attending one game so far. It actually makes me angry at how pathetic our club are. What the hell is good about flogging all your best players and playing boring hoofball football to get through? I bet Doyle, Long, Shorey, Sidwell, Rodgers and co are all gutted they're no longer at such a successful club.

URZZ
Hob Nob Regular

by URZZ » 02 Oct 2011 14:28

I'm with floyd here, the word is depressing. It's sad to know we're right... we are just a breeding ground for good football players now.

Money > Football

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 02 Oct 2011 14:31

Royalee How the f*ck does selling your assets make you a successful club?

How the f*ck does having no brain enable someone to post on a message board?

His point was the club was that it's a success for the club is bringing young players through into the first team who can be first team players. The fact that some will eventually move on to higher things isn't ideal, but indicates a job (as in developing players) well done.

You can wail and scream like a seven year old child about us selling those players, but the point really is where we'd be if we hadn't had the players to come through the ranks.

URZZ
Hob Nob Regular

by URZZ » 02 Oct 2011 14:32

Rev Algenon Stickleback H but the point really is where we'd be if we hadn't had the players to come through the ranks.

That still counts as one step forward, 2 back in my eyes but ...ya know!

Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 02 Oct 2011 14:39

URZZ
Rev Algenon Stickleback H but the point really is where we'd be if we hadn't had the players to come through the ranks.

...err... so you are saying having Shane Long for several years, benefitting from his goals, and the money received, leaves us in a worse position than if we'd never signed him as a young player at all?

Or Glyfi? If he'd signed for somebody else, and we'd not had his 20 goal season and a few million from Hoffenheim, we'd be better off?

URZZ
Hob Nob Regular

by URZZ » 02 Oct 2011 14:54

URZZ

...err... so you are saying having Shane Long for several years, benefitting from his goals, and the money received, leaves us in a worse position than if we'd never signed him as a young player at all?

Or Glyfi? If he'd signed for somebody else, and we'd not had his 20 goal season and a few million from Hoffenheim, we'd be better off?

Shane and Gylfi, both had individual, spectacular years...

However I don't understand as a football club how you can be in a beneficial position where if anyone stands out, you just wonder when they'll go rather than if they'll go.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 02 Oct 2011 15:15

Sorry, but even if we were a perennial Premiership club we'd stll be losing our best players to bigger clubs etc. isn't that what happens to Wigan and Bolton and even Villa

So what's the difference? We just need to build a strong team and grab that moment for promotion when it comes a long. Sadly we were let down at Wembley by a crap defence and a poor referee and didn't get that little bit of luck just when we needed it. Therefore it's back to the drawing board and, no doubt, a couple of seasons building a team again.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 02 Oct 2011 15:28

Barry the bird boggler Sadly we were let down at Wembley by a crap defence and a poor referee

We were let down by an awful defence. Ref got all the major decisions correct and didn't influence the outcome of the game at all.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 02 Oct 2011 16:05

floyd__streete You can put any positive spin on it that you choose, but it is abundantly clear that the current ownership and management of the club somehow sees selling off our best players as a 'success' to be trumpeted. Which club in the last 25 years have been most famous for producing a production line of players? Crewe Alexandra, currently languishing in the bottom reaches of League Two. I can accept the selling of our players as a necessity.....but don't patronise us supporters by saying that it is somehow indicative of a successful club.

But it kinda is, because it shows we have players good enough to sell. Crewe are a small club who used that production line to play well above their level for a good few years. And they pretty much relied on their youth set up. We do have some buying power on top of that, if not a great deal at this level.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 02 Oct 2011 16:12

Ian Royal We do have some buying power on top of that, if not a great deal at this level.

No we don't. Its not buying power on top of if you have to sell millions worth of players first. Our current policy is flog the best players for high prices every season and invest fractional amounts of that money on cheap replacements. That really can't be sugar coated.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 02 Oct 2011 16:18

FiNeRaIn
Ian Royal We do have some buying power on top of that, if not a great deal at this level.

No we don't. Its not buying power on top of if you have to sell millions worth of players first. Our current policy is flog the best players for high prices every season and invest fractional amounts of that money on cheap replacements. That really can't be sugar coated.

Selective quoting because you missed the point I see.

We have buying power on top of using the academy, we are not forced to sell and only use the academy. Yes the money largely comes from sales, although I suspect we'd make signings even without sales, but the sale money could all go into keeping teh club affloat with none on players.

ankeny
Hob Nob Regular

by ankeny » 02 Oct 2011 16:26

Royalee How the f*ck does selling your assets make you a successful club?

How the f*ck does having no brain enable someone to post on a message board?

His point was the club was that it's a success for the club is bringing young players through into the first team who can be first team players. The fact that some will eventually move on to higher things isn't ideal, but indicates a job (as in developing players) well done.

You can wail and scream like a seven year old child about us selling those players, but the point really is where we'd be if we hadn't had the players to come through the ranks.

This is the gloss you lot were on about!

Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 02 Oct 2011 16:33

FiNeRaIn Our current policy is flog the best players for high prices every season and invest fractional amounts of that money on cheap replacements. .

Given that a fair number of the players we sell could, and almost certainly would leave for nothing at the end of their contracts, what's the alternative?

And unless you are cash-rich club, or have a generous sugar-daddy, where is that scenario not true?

157 posts