Why do people go to games?

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Why do people go to games?

by Mid Sussex Royal » 31 Dec 2011 19:15

I have never given an individual player stick in 40 years of supporting Reading. It achieves nothing.

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 31 Dec 2011 19:17

We've got some absolute thickos near us. Never had many negative characters in our vicinity, but I'm sure they can't be as infuriating as this lot.

Thicko Senior: "Ooh, I see they're playing Chopra and Bowyer today. They're really going for a win."
Thicko Junior: "Yes, they definitely want a win."
Thicko Senior's Daughter: "They want to win this."

etc, etc ...

:roll:

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 31 Dec 2011 19:31

Royal Lady I'm asking this, because I am surrounded by fuckwits at the moment. Two women behind do nothing but moan ALL THE BLOODY TIME. Every time the oppo get the ball, the main protagonist goes "here we go, here we go, they're going to score" and, of course, they don't. Kebe can do nothing right for either of them. Ledge was getting stick. But make a good pass, score a goal and they sit there impassively, don't even bloody clap. It takes all my will to stop giving them a right mouthful to be honest. There's also a dreary voiced Welsh bloke who moans constantly - but, again, you never hear him sing, clap or get excited if we score or come close to scoring. WHY DO THEY BOTHER COMING TO GAMES?

Again today, the old bloke in front who remains completely stock still all game, every game, together with his equally boring daughter who also never claps, shouts, celebrates a goal - decided to turn around and tell Schards to stop kicking his seat? WTF? If he did touch his seat, it was once and by accident - that was the first time I'd seen the bloke even move during a game tbf. I don't expect that everyone should be jumping up and down and singing/clapping - but for God's sake, a bit of bloody enthusiasm wouldn't go amiss. I just don't understand how people can be so impassive - and the constant moaning from the people behind is ruining my enjoyment of games these days. :cry:

zzzzzzzzzzzzzz boring

Cripple Creek
Hob Nob Regular

by Cripple Creek » 31 Dec 2011 19:32

Some of them may have anxiety disorders and not have been brought up in a caring and sharing environment or rewarded for positive behaviour and instead criticised when they do something wrong. Others may have been bullied at school or not brought up in a school environment where creative thinking is encouraged. Still others may not have been hugged enough when they were toddlers (see The Huddle thread).

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 31 Dec 2011 19:33

I understand that some people have a pessimistic outlook but these people are incredible. I've had to put up with whiners but these people are incredible. If there are howls because Reading aren't gven a free kick, they invariably say "that was a fair challange" if we have a player given offside contentiously, they will say he was miles off. In a one off game, you would be forgiven for thinking they were opposition fans sitting with Reading friends, but it's every game.

We have had four straight home wins and they have moaned through every minute of every one of them, it's staggering. I've been known to moan in the past when we've been horribly underperforming but, right now, we have a team that is performing way above it's level of talent. Whatever you think of the club's lack of ambition, the team on the pitch is outperforming expectations, even if it's not the prettiest football to watch, you can't ask for more than that.

The final straw today was when someone mentioned promotion and one said "promotion? that's the last thing we want".

y24 Row X, WHY ARE YOU HERE YOU FUKTARDS

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 31 Dec 2011 20:07

More replies to this than the back from the game thread.

Answer is if you do not like the people around you move, or say something, then again if they are paying their money they can attend as they like.

Having watched the second half of the Leics/Pompy game I can understand if some people do not get excited about todays football, dire play, no excitement.

Football is now expensive to watch fans want to be entertained, and they want and expect that every game, unreasonable perhaps, but IMHO that is how many see it.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 31 Dec 2011 20:15

Had a group of old men sit in front of me for a game last year. They kept comparing our players to players who had played against Reading many moons ago ("I thought the half back who played for Aldershot against us in '54 was poor, but he was much better than Karacan") and similar anecdotes ("I remember Derek Tramwell tried similar tactics against us when he was manager of Charlton in '78, but they didn't work nearly as well as they are working today. Maybe we should get Shaka Hislop back").

They were gone next match, fortunately.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 01 Jan 2012 14:25

there are alot of fcuktards at games
but fcuk em. just enjoy yourself, enjoy the football, ignore th emorons, or even better gain entertainment by laughing at thier idiocy

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 01 Jan 2012 14:35

I mainly go to wind people up. Looks like I'm doing a good job 8)

muddyfeet
Hob Nob Regular

by muddyfeet » 01 Jan 2012 16:48

To drink beer, watch Pearce and look at men in fleeces :!:

Northern Git

by Northern Git » 01 Jan 2012 17:25

Wow that was close!
Sit very close to RL and have to say I am relieved to have escaped her heart felt rant.
She is 100% correct, there are some complete negative tossers that sit around the Y23/ Y24 area.
OK have a moan now and then, but when it’s every game, every player, every move it gets very tedious.
As for RL (and Shards) migrating to the West stand, that’s not an option as one of the highlights of every game is RL sqeeeeezing past us for her ‘comfort break’ 3 mins before halftime

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 01 Jan 2012 19:08

I sit in front of a very vocal chap in Y19, he must be in row X around the 56 mark, who goes to a lot of away games, and manages to turn a lot of songs into decent Reading songs, along with trying to start a lot of chants... Shame not a lot of other people join in.

He is of course very opinionated, and though I don't disagree with him all the time, he does like a good whine. And he LOVES Robson-Kanu...

Not sure that this has anything to do with the thread, just thought I'd share...

muddyfeet
Hob Nob Regular

by muddyfeet » 01 Jan 2012 19:23

There's a few people in y19 who love kanu!

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 01 Jan 2012 19:32

When i go, im too engrossed in the game to hear/notice other people so really RL why do YOU bother going if you're people watching rather than watching the game

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 01 Jan 2012 19:33

skipper I sit in front of a very vocal chap in Y19, he must be in row X around the 56 mark, who goes to a lot of away games, and manages to turn a lot of songs into decent Reading songs, along with trying to start a lot of chants... Shame not a lot of other people join in.

He is of course very opinionated, and though I don't disagree with him all the time, he does like a good whine. And he LOVES Robson-Kanu...

Not sure that this has anything to do with the thread, just thought I'd share...

king of the 952 bus

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 01 Jan 2012 19:39

TBM When i go, im too engrossed in the game to hear/notice other people so really RL why do YOU bother going if you're people watching rather than watching the game

I asked Compo this the other day, do you actually support Reading? If so do you go? I was curious rather than caring tbh.

Blue Label

by Blue Label » 01 Jan 2012 20:04

Agree. Sat in the same N.stand seat for 10yrs. At yesterdays game a RFC attack, stood up, only to be tapped on the shoulder. Looked round to be told by some bellend (not a regular), that he could not see......it's not as if I'm stood all the time. Crikey it's a football match not the bloody theatre.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 01 Jan 2012 21:19

Blue Label Agree. Sat in the same N.stand seat for 10yrs. At yesterdays game a RFC attack, stood up, only to be tapped on the shoulder. Looked round to be told by some bellend (not a regular), that he could not see......it's not as if I'm stood all the time. Crikey it's a football match not the bloody theatre.

But that's the precise problem with all-seaters.

My two are not tall enough to see anything at all if people stand up in front of them. In the good old days, we'd simply have moved closer to the front so they could see and others weren't affected.
Now, we're in the seats we're in and if someone stands up in front of them then I reserve the right to tap on the shoulder.

Yours - Bellend

Farnborough Royal

by Farnborough Royal » 01 Jan 2012 21:26

I had a really fat guy sit next to me in B15 yesterday, as a result I ended up almost on my Dad's lap. Fat people should be made to buy two seats IMHO.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 01 Jan 2012 22:06

TBM When i go, im too engrossed in the game to hear/notice other people so really RL why do YOU bother going if you're people watching rather than watching the game

I can't avoid hearing their whiny bloody voices in my fecking ear EVERY SINGLE GAME. If only we'd had that extension, our row would have been the back row and they'd have been shoved up in the gods. :evil: