Back from the game - Bristol City (H)

250 posts
OLLIE KEARNS

Re: Back from the game - Bristol City (H)

by OLLIE KEARNS » 28 Jan 2012 21:19

Thoughts as follows

> Bristol are a top half side on recent form, a much better side than Hull on today's performance.
> Adomah (27) was a class act. If we have any more funds left for this window then............
> Roberts was the difference between Hull (0-1) and today (1-0). Allowed us to play in the final third far more than last week.
> Antonio has shown enough in the last two weeks to suggest we might have a player on our hands. Crossing has been very good and is also a real threat on the end of crosses from the left. Unlucky not to score today in first half and a great ball in from which Hunt should have scored. Can put real pressure on Kebe for his place for rest of season.
> Please don't play right backs at left back. No problem defensively but hinders us when we are in posession.
> Lot's of talk of players coming in but any hints of players leaving ? Hope Robson Kanu was really injured......

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 28 Jan 2012 21:20

Ian Royal
Harpers So Solid Crew
Ian Royal I'm surprised with some of the negativity seeing as we managed about 17 shots and most professional reports I've heard / seen say we missed some chances we really should have put away.

Obviously missing easier chances is not great, but still. Especially with two key players out injured, yet another new striker partnership and a right back at left back.

I think I will go with people that were actually there, seems all season we have been generally poor reading the back from the game threads, it is not always the same players picked out, but few have been outstanding all season in these threads. For someone that does not attend, and reading what those do say i would say that many players have decent games, but are not consistent, too many drift out of games, doesn't sound like they put in a full shift week in and week out.

Big difference to 2005/06.

Ian what do you consider a professional report? as most are all from the same person, or does Lawro count, who suggested we would lose every game in the Prem judging by his weekly predictions was back when. Or the Telegraph, who did not even report our takeover the day after it happened, or the Daily Mail who often dont bother reporting our games, unless we play WHU.

Dellor, Gooding, Williams, Nicholas, Papers. All taken with a pinch of salt of course.

Didn't say reports on here weren't accurate, just I'm surprised considering. And why would you bring 05/06 into? That season was 1 in a million.

Diference to 2005/06 seems to be an attitude within the squad, which if you look is what I mentioned, not your views as how things are going.

As for the names you mention Dellor is a commentator, and more interested in sandwiches and cake, Gooding I think has a good view on how things are and gives a valuable and honest insite, Williams i have no idea how he got a job at BBc Berks, RFC hero but not a broadcaster IMHO. Charlie Nicholas can only see the VCR feed from the games, which misses a lot of what goes on, the papers reports are a joke, and usually all the same. You could write a newspaper report from what is posted here and on the net, no need t even be at the game to fil column inches.

Still at least you did not call me a cnut!!

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 28 Jan 2012 21:22

West Stand Man I love the 'somehow we are in 4th'.

8 wins in 11 league games is pushing on for a 106 point season (if it was consistent). That is the somehow.

100.36 points :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

robinsfriday

by robinsfriday » 28 Jan 2012 21:47

Harpers So Solid Crew
West Stand Man I love the 'somehow we are in 4th'.

8 wins in 11 league games is pushing on for a 106 point season (if it was consistent). That is the somehow.

100.36 points :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Yes, somehow we are 4th based on the fact that we have hardly been vintage this season. But lets get one thing clear, although it seems I'm complaining, I'll happily take promotion playing boring football than playing great football and finishing 7th.

Jinx

by Jinx » 28 Jan 2012 21:49

Antonio has improved for a couple of starts rather than trying too hard in his normal 10 minutes

Too many players "get rid of the ball" to someone else rather than passing it in a positive manner

Can't see all the love for Jem? Yes he works hard and runs around a lot, but he is just a headless chicken at times (hughes was derided for "just running around a lot") and needs to improve his decision making and passing before any awesome, fantastic or other superlatives can be used

WTF is it with throw ins? Are we instructed - 1. only a full back can take a throw 2. you may only throw it to Tabb 3. Tabb may only pass it straight back to the thrower

Was not a fan of Pearce but he has improved a hell of a lot and he and Gorkss look a solid pair

Also echo the comments about Adomah - must be worth a bid

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 28 Jan 2012 21:58

Adomah is City's Kebe. Awesome when it's his day, not so much when it isn't..........

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 28 Jan 2012 22:24

robinsfriday
Ian Royal
robinsfriday I am extremely chilled 'pal'. But your post is pointless. You question those who were there, yet your judgement of the game is based on statistics shown on a website. You can have 55% of possession but it doesn't mean you deserve to win a game of football. It was poor, but by no means as poor as it was against Watford but nowhere near as good as we have shown against other teams this season. It was a 6/10 performance. I'm pleased because a) we won and got 3 points b) Roberts scored on his debut and shows good promise c) we are now 4th in the league and finally d) Anton is flying over for the home game against Coventry.

Winds me up when those who were not at the game (and rarely are) think they can defend a poor performance.

Get over yourself. It was an expression of surprise, not a defence of any performance. Not an disagreement with what's been posted. Although I know which posters to generally trust the opinions of from their views on the games I have seen.

Stop reading too much into it and getting your knickers in a twist.

Not wearing knickers mate. To me a 6/10 is a below average performance. We could debate all night what constitutes an average performance in regards to a marking system out of ten points but quite frankly I have better things to do. Personally, 6/10 is a poor mark. Sorry if you don't agree.

:| I didn't say anything about your marking system. Although 6/10 is definitely average for most sane people.

dogzbollox

by dogzbollox » 28 Jan 2012 22:29

Snowball 9 James
8.5 The Bristol City side average

Thought they were good enough for top six and unlucky to lose. Better than Hull

8 Feds. Solid and kept us in game
8 Cummings.
8 Gorks. Had a lot of the game, good headers, calm on the ball. Must average 2 points per game more than Matt Mills
7 Pearce. Don't remember much wrong
8 Griffin. Loads of support work, seemed up for it.

8 Tabb . Worked hard, loads of tackles, headers won
7.5 Karacan Everwhere esp in last 30 mins
7.0 McAnuff Plenty of decent work but nothing "great"
7.5 Antonio Decent, and will improve a lot if he plays. Got better later

8 Hunt. Worked hard, played intelligently, partnered Roberts well
7.5 Roberts. A class apart. Only lower score because not fully fit, will soon get regular 9s IMO. Tried a bit too hard at times. Poor pen but great follow up. 2-3 superb thru balls

6 Church Ran, but the step-down from Roberts was svcary

8 CRXWZXYA (or whoever) Very little time but made one great ball from the RB position, one great "skin" of a defender, and made a penalty. V Promising

CRXWZXYA...??? Do you really think that because you have posted so regularly on here that it gives you the right to be so patronising..? you complete w*nker!!

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 28 Jan 2012 22:34

I'm very happy with the 3 points but Brizzle were a hell of a lot better than Hull. They played some tidy football, worked hard to close us down and with better finishing we could have easily have lost.

Having said that it's clear how used we've become to Church being so shit as Roberts was sooo much better.

We miss Kebe and Ledge a lot, and were generally overun in midfield although Karacan tried his best and got himself into a few decent positions.

Antonio wasn't quite as chaotic as usual, but Cywka was better when he came on. So a thumbs up for the two signings from me, they certainly look to have improved the team.

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

by Handsome Man » 28 Jan 2012 22:42

Strange game! It really doesn't seem quite right that we are 4th. We only really look a good side against the best teams in the division.

Bristol City looked very well organised and made it hard for us to grind them down, but we had the best of most of the game and more chances: we deserved the three points.

Karacan was immense, Antonio was very good, again, and it was great to see us playing with a centre forward who can hold onto the ball and play it wide.

From where we were in the Upper West, it looked as though the new bloke had dived theatrically for the second penalty.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 28 Jan 2012 22:43

Hull seem a similar prospect to us in that they aren't great going forwards, but are built around a very solid defensive foundation making them / us hard to beat. Make yourself hard to beat and you've gone a long way to giving yourself a great chance to consistently pick up points and be right up there.

The fact they've got the second meanest defence in the division and we've got the fourth certainly supports that. Although Palace make a bit of a mockery of it.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 28 Jan 2012 22:45

McAnuff was my MOM today - looked dangerous

Thought Karacan was quiet first half only really woke up when they went down to 10 men

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 28 Jan 2012 22:59

We miss Ledge and Kebe big time. We struggled for possession in midfield without Ledge asserting his authority, whilst Kebe's creativity can rip teams apart in this league. To be fair Antonio had a good game and Cywka looked good when he came on.

We're where we are in the league because of an immense CB pairing. Easily the best we've had since Sonks-Ivar. If you can keep things tight and grab a goal from a set piece then you'll do well in this league. Roberts really added something up front, holding the ball up and playing in others well. Very lucky for the goal though; poor penalty and nearly shanked the rebound wide too.

This squad is not far away from being good enough to challenge at the top, even if the football is a little uninspiring at times.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 29 Jan 2012 01:39

I'm just glad we are not 4th from bottom! What a bunch of miserable f*****rs. Today wasn't great but I thought we were good value for the win against a decent Brizzle team who are much better than there league position. Roberts did more today than Les Fedinand did in his entire Reading career. Some decent solid performances with key players to come back. 3 points a clean sheet up to 4th and we are still not playing at our best! If your not happy with that then piss off down the pub and support Man City.

Winnershroyal

by Winnershroyal » 29 Jan 2012 06:24

Jackson Corner I'm just glad we are not 4th from bottom! What a bunch of miserable f*****rs. Today wasn't great but I thought we were good value for the win against a decent Brizzle team who are much better than there league position. Roberts did more today than Les Fedinand did in his entire Reading career. Some decent solid performances with key players to come back. 3 points a clean sheet up to 4th and we are still not playing at our best! If your not happy with that then piss off down the pub and support Man City.

^^^ this.

Wizard
Hob Nob Addict

by Wizard » 29 Jan 2012 06:26

First home game I've missed this season, doesn't sound like I missed much though! Would have liked to have seen the new boys.

SHORT AND CURLY

by SHORT AND CURLY » 29 Jan 2012 07:13

Nice to grind out a win against a decent side.
I have to add that our midfield was shocking. We had two diddy men running in to each other, whilst our defence oofed it in to space for our front men to run into. I was just praying for someone in a central position to put their foot on the ball look up and PASSSSSSSSSSSSSS...........

To be fair Brizzle, they closed our players down well and their 27 looked half decent.

Nice to get a win with Roberts looking to have something different to offer.
Positives for me were the improvement of Antonio and Cummings, the latter being my MOM.

Still that's a few games were we have won ugly. We sure are going to be a force when we play well.

Tilehurst End

by Tilehurst End » 29 Jan 2012 07:56

3 points and move on.

Much improved Antonio, Roberts will score goals for us, Karacan was superb.

If Harte's days at LB are numbered then can we please get someone with a left foot to play there.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 29 Jan 2012 08:26

Quite a poor game but they're the ones you need to win if you've got designs on a top six finish.

Roberts - clearly not match fit yet but is very strong, brings other players into the game well, and generally allows us to retain possession higher up the park. Awful pen but luckily managed to tuck the rebound away with his dick.

City - quite tidy I though. Adomah looked decent, no surprise he was their player of the season last year. David James' second pen save was excellent. Overall they were better than I expected.

Cywka - didn't see enough of him to judge. Penalty was a blatant dive by all accounts.

Overall, we miss Leigertwood and Kebe as others have said. Antonio isn't a footballer for me, although he did improve after City went down to ten men.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 29 Jan 2012 08:42

Why are people getting so excited that we're 4th? We won't be 4th after Tuesday night - it's only because most other teams around us were playing in the second round of the FA cup yesterday. :roll:

250 posts