This Looks Nice

221 posts
Vision
Hob Nob Addict

Re: This Looks Nice

by Vision » 01 Feb 2012 14:44

Snowball
Vision
Snowball Right THIS YEAR when I say we'll comfortably make the POs and will go VERY close to automatic

Hurrah! An actual opinion. Sort of. Well done.

So what you're saying is play offs but not automatic. Close of course means we dont quite make auto.

If we had 24 games I would say automatic

But it's just 18 and it's too easy to play well and lose 1-0 at Boro, Saints, West Ham, Birmingham.

The fewer games to go the more it becomes a case of luck.

I believe we will be second (on the last day) or third, just missing.

But a top-quality loanee AM and we really can make autos.

it always comes down to luck tho. We could play Birmingham off the park
and lose or they might ouplay us but we get a lucky win

you can't legislate for Hahneman spilling the ball v Brum, or the stupid Hull goals (2)

Both those games easily could have been 0-0 and Hull would be 11th!!

And now you've gone and spoiled it.... :wink:

To be fair every team in every league at every level will have a hard luck story. Those 2 or 3 games they should have won but didn't. Those refereeing decisions that cost us in crucial games etc etc.

It doesnt ALWAYS come down to luck at all. Odd individual games can but they can happen at any stage of the season. It's 46 games and just because you have some supposed misfortune in game 46 it doesn't mean you're more unlucky in the overall picture of a whole season.

Its the same on the flipside last season. People saying we were lucky to get to the play offs and it was only due to an 8 game winning run. Well those 8 games make up the whole of a season just as much as the other 38 do.

leicsRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by leicsRoyal » 01 Feb 2012 14:57

At this stage of the season last year, five out of the top six clubs remained in the top six at the end of the season, with us displacing Leeds as the other.

Also the bottom three clubs after 28 games were the same bottom three at the end of the season.

If you are looking for predictions, I'll stick with the above. This time we'll push Hull out of the top six. :wink:

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 01 Feb 2012 15:18

I don't get all the hostility over snowball's fascination with stats. If your eyes glaze over looking at numbers prolly the best thing to do is not click on one of snowball's Team Board threads.

All he is doing, even tho I feel the numbers alone don't tell the whole story since they can't measure heart/character, is using the stats to make a case that based on our form, coupled with the addition of some new players whom will hopefully improve that form, we have a realistic shot at automatic promotion. Which I tend to agree with and now the numbers also verify. I am guessing, unless he said it and missed that part, that game 7 roughly coincides with the forming of the Pearce-Gorkss CB partnership which improved our form and which is still in place.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 01 Feb 2012 15:24

Libertine I don't get all the hostility over snowball's fascination with stats. If your eyes glaze over looking at numbers prolly the best thing to do is not click on one of snowball's Team Board threads.

It's more the way he delivers them and refuses to accept that they could be flawed which makes people point out their limitations (IMO).

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 01 Feb 2012 15:38

Hoop Blah
Libertine I don't get all the hostility over snowball's fascination with stats. If your eyes glaze over looking at numbers prolly the best thing to do is not click on one of snowball's Team Board threads.

It's more the way he delivers them and refuses to accept that they could be flawed which makes people point out their limitations (IMO).

I don't know if his "refusal to accept" that they could be flawed and his push back is because he has constantly told by a good deal of people, even over the relatively short time I have been here, that not only are they be flawed but they are useless. I feel that statistics are a handy tool when analyzing the team's current state of affairs but I would never put full stock in them. But I always have a peek at what snowball works up to see what the numbers have to say...again, and agreed, IMO also.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 01 Feb 2012 15:39

Ideal
And voila, no more crap from the extremist paedophile.

There is a scale? I didn't realise people could be quite casual and relaxed with their paedophilia.

"Oh, I still believe in it I guess - but I haven't gone to one of the groups for ages."

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 01 Feb 2012 15:39

Hoop Blah

Nothing wrong with the stats - it's the way he uses them to justify arguments which the stats aren't valid enough to even vaguely support.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 01 Feb 2012 15:44

FAO of Libertine, you really can't be so fair to Snowball, you're supposed to at least abuse him while saying his stats might almost have a point

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict

by Libertine » 01 Feb 2012 15:50

Silver Fox FAO of Libertine, you really can't be so fair to Snowball, you're supposed to at least abuse him while saying his stats might almost have a point

:lol: :lol:

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 01 Feb 2012 15:57

Svlad Cjelli
Nothing wrong with the stats - it's the way he uses them to justify arguments which the stats aren't valid enough to even vaguely support.

If they were drawn by Roger Hargreaves they would be Little Miss Representational.

And the 'little' would be ironic.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 01 Feb 2012 16:10

i like stats, i used to like snowball cos his stats help to moderate views based on biased and predjudiced opinions
when he starts using half assists for some goals but not others it jut gets pointless

agreed though, if you dont like, dont look

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 01 Feb 2012 16:17

melonhead i like stats

Me too. As everyone's said, I don't mind the stats at all.

It's the constant misuse that I feel compelled to point out.

Awarding "half-assists" to back up some argument or other was it taken to the nth degree.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 01 Feb 2012 16:18

In the last 7 games we won, we have won 7 times.

Therefore ALF is the best striker.

urz13
Hob Nob Regular
Location: The following statement is false. The previous statement is true.

by urz13 » 01 Feb 2012 16:32

Don't see why discounting the first 6 games is such a problem. It's hardly 'current form' and the team since then has been largely consistent in it's selection and results. Plus it makes good reading.

urz13
Hob Nob Regular
Location: The following statement is false. The previous statement is true.

by urz13 » 01 Feb 2012 16:33

Maguire
melonhead i like stats

Me too. As everyone's said, I don't mind the stats at all.

It's the constant misuse that I feel compelled to point out.

Awarding "half-assists" to back up some argument or other was it taken to the nth degree.

Use your own stats then.

Mr Cinema

by Mr Cinema » 01 Feb 2012 17:18

Snowball starts threads with stats. Others start threads with words. Others start threads with pictures.

Once you start a thread then you kind of have to expect people to comment on it. It seems to me that Snowball seems to want to post up his numbers and everyone is supposed to tell him how clever he is and he gets terribly defensive if people don't agree with his view.

Its a discussion board. He's perfectly entitled to put up reams and reams of stats. People are perfectly entitled to point out if they think he's wrong.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 01 Feb 2012 17:25

he also does that

themadstad

by themadstad » 01 Feb 2012 17:32

Anyway Snowball I see what you mean in terms of last 22 etc. So on that basis we should make the play offs keeping up that rate of points for the final 18. Yet based on season to date it would be more hit and miss.

Top two is not where we will finish I truly believe that. For consideration though Leicester are picking up results now under Pearson and who will Leeds get in?

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 01 Feb 2012 17:40

colin.

who has a proven record at this level wherever he has been

themadstad

by themadstad » 01 Feb 2012 17:51

melonhead colin.

who has a proven record at this level wherever he has been

Good call that