Played like West ham?

126 posts
FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Played like West ham?

by FiNeRaIn » 23 May 2012 08:33

Yes Blackpool were better on the day but west ham beat them three times this season scoring ten goals and finished 11 points above them in the league, they were the better team over the course of the season and you can;t argue that they deserve to be up. It doesn't matter they are a bunch of big spending ugly mercenaries about 7 ft tall, they finished 3rd and the top three went up, deserved. Blackpool have themselves to blame for missing a hatful of chances. Baptistes rant is a strong case of sour grapes and he looks like a complete nob.

bigmike
Hob Nob Regular

by bigmike » 23 May 2012 09:15

FiNeRaIn Yes Blackpool were better on the day but west ham beat them three times this season scoring ten goals and finished 11 points above them in the league, they were the better team over the course of the season and you can;t argue that they deserve to be up. It doesn't matter they are a bunch of big spending ugly mercenaries about 7 ft tall, they finished 3rd and the top three went up, deserved. Blackpool have themselves to blame for missing a hatful of chances. Baptistes rant is a strong case of sour grapes and he looks like a complete nob.

Agreed..

I do think that the playoffs should be got rid of and that promotion is granted on League form. Maybe Wet Spam would have bottled their way to 4th :lol:

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 23 May 2012 09:51

Our win at West Ham was JOY!

But let's not kid ourselves we easily could have lost it badly.

When they were all over us, 1-0 up I thought it would be 3-0 or 4-0

Great credit to us going in 2-1 up at half-time but it was "robbery" and we know it.

I still expected us to lose, hoped we might get 2-2

But then we got the pen, but then Vaz Te scored a great header. Again I thought we'd lose, hoped for a draw.

The fourth, the weird Elwood goal, well that was "God on our side stuff"

IMO, West Ham should have won that game by sewing it up in the first half-hour, like how they beat Brighton
but the point is, I doubt anyone would think a 2-2 draw or 3-3 draw that day would be WHU being lucky

Had that occurred (a 2-2 draw) a totally reasonable result

1 46 26-10-10 85-44 +39 88 Southampton
2 46 24-15-07 81-46 +35 87 West Ham
=======================================
3 46 26-09-11 67-41 +26 87 Reading

I genuinely think we got lucky at the end of the season.

That happens sometimes when confidence is high

West Ham, Saints, Brighton all could have beaten us on chances, shots on target
but we rode our luck. I'm very happy it happened but I think West Ham had the money

and when you look at our performances at the death (rather than focusing solely on the result)

A 4-2 West Ham
H 2-0 Leeds
A 1-0 Brighton
A 3-1 Southampton
H 1-0 Forest
H 2-2 Palace
A 0-2 Birmingham

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 23 May 2012 10:29

Snowball

but we rode our luck. I'm very happy it happened but I think West Ham had the money

and when you look at our performances at the death (rather than focusing solely on the result)

We're a bit like Chelsea in that respect then?

bigmike
Hob Nob Regular

by bigmike » 23 May 2012 11:07

Snowball Our win at West Ham was JOY!

But let's not kid ourselves we easily could have lost it badly.

When they were all over us, 1-0 up I thought it would be 3-0 or 4-0

Great credit to us going in 2-1 up at half-time but it was "robbery" and we know it.

I still expected us to lose, hoped we might get 2-2

But then we got the pen, but then Vaz Te scored a great header. Again I thought we'd lose, hoped for a draw.

The fourth, the weird Elwood goal, well that was "God on our side stuff"

IMO, West Ham should have won that game by sewing it up in the first half-hour, like how they beat Brighton
but the point is, I doubt anyone would think a 2-2 draw or 3-3 draw that day would be WHU being lucky

A 4-2 West Ham
H 2-0 Leeds
A 1-0 Brighton
A 3-1 Southampton
H 1-0 Forest
H 2-2 Palace
A 0-2 Birmingham

Stats to back your pessimism what about shots to goals Ratio. I think you will find that it doesnt matter a damn if a team has 99% of the game and has 30 or 40 shots and cant score if the other team has 3 shots and all go in they still lose.

In my opinion Reading were not lucky Reading were professional in Defence and clinical in attack. Over all I think you will find the best team won.

You make your own luck and if it was one game then yes I would agree it was luck but it wasnt. Reading went out with a game plan defend well take your chances and win the game.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 23 May 2012 11:34

A game plan to defend well and take our chances and win?

Isn't that a given for every team every game?

Do we have a game plan to let a Brighton play through one-on-one
knowing he'll hit the bar, and we'll get a massive deflection of an otherwise
poor free kick?

We didn't "defend well" at West Ham

bigmike
Hob Nob Regular

by bigmike » 23 May 2012 11:43

Snowball A game plan to defend well and take our chances and win?

Isn't that a given for every team every game?

Do we have a game plan to let a Brighton play through one-on-one
knowing he'll hit the bar, and we'll get a massive deflection of an otherwise
poor free kick?

We didn't "defend well" at West Ham

Ok then Reading were lucky for 27 games this season.. How about rather than making up stats to support your pessimism why don’t you show the other side that actually shows that Reading won the league because over the course of the season they won the most games and gained the most points?

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 23 May 2012 12:03

bigmike

Stats to back your pessimism what about shots to goals Ratio. I think you will find that it doesnt matter a damn if a team has 99% of
the game and has 30 or 40 shots and cant score if the other team has 3 shots and all go in they still lose.

Really? I didn't know that. Yet when it happens to us we talk of bad luck or being robbed.

7 Games 83 Shots Conceded, 50 On Target 33 Off (We were 31-13)

Reading Second Column

Possession : 53% 47% Shots On Target : 09-08 Goals 2-4 Shots Off Target : 03-03 West Ham
Possession : 42% 58% Shots On Target : 04-06 Goals 0-2 Shots Off Target : 03-09 Leeds
Possession : 48% 52% Shots On Target : 07-02 Goals 0-1 Shots Off Target : 06-05 Brighton
Possession : 59% 41% Shots On Target : 12-04 Goals 1-3 Shots Off Target : 07-02 Saints
Possession : 47% 53% Shots On Target : 08-04 Goals 0-1 Shots Off Target : 07-03 Forest
Possession : 52% 48% Shots On Target : 04-06 Goals 2-2 Shots Off Target : 03-05 Palace
Possession : 50% 50% Shots On Target : 06-01 Goals 2-0 Shots Off Target : 04-03 Birmingham

Possession : 50% 50% Shots On Target : 50-31 Goals 7-13 Shots Off Target : 33-30 Average

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 23 May 2012 12:20

bigmike
Ok then Reading were lucky for 27 games this season..

Agreed.

bigmike How about rather than making up stats to support your pessimism why don’t you show the other side that actually shows that
Reading won the league because over the course of the season they won the most games and gained the most points?

Because it is (slightly) false, which is my point.

There are no made-up stats here. The stats are very simple.

Just have us draw at West Ham (anyone except a truly blinkered fan would agree that would have been not even slightly "unlucky" on our part)
and we'd've been third.

We GOT RESULTS and the manager (especially) and the team should be commended

But we did not, IMO "exude class", we did not show top class up front.

We had a solid defence that rode its luck at times, and we were on a run, high in confidence and OVER achieved.

That's why I feel concerned.

I believe if we played West ham tomorrow, two games, we'd lose both.

We were and are a decent side. IMO probably the third-best. I think West Ham should have been well-clear
and just their home fans on their backs and them getting the jips at home did for them.

Look at their finish, for example.

A 4-0 Barnsley
H 3-3 Birmingham
H 6-0 Brighton
A 1-1 Bristol
A 2-1 Leicester
H 2-1 Hull
A 2-0 Cardiff
H 3-0 Cardiff
W 2-1 Blackpool

P9 W7 D2 L0 25-7

And in the season look how many thrashings they handed out (plus Cardiff twice in the POs)

H 6-0 Brighton
A 4-0 Watford
A 4-1 Nottm F
H 4-3 Portsmouth
H 4-0 Blackpool
A 4-1 Blackpool
A 4-0 Barnsley

That to me is the sign of a top side. They UNDER-achieved for their quality

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 23 May 2012 13:59

bigmike West ham striker Vaz Tae has come out saying that Reading and Southampton were lucky this season and no one put them under pressure..

If not the team in third place, who's fault is that I wonder?

And I think he'll find that Saints were put under pressure. By Reading. And they were found wanting, as were West Ham.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 23 May 2012 14:07

Snowball
bigmike
Ok then Reading were lucky for 27 games this season..

Agreed.

bigmike How about rather than making up stats to support your pessimism why don’t you show the other side that actually shows that
Reading won the league because over the course of the season they won the most games and gained the most points?

Because it is (slightly) false, which is my point.

There are no made-up stats here. The stats are very simple.

Just have us draw at West Ham (anyone except a truly blinkered fan would agree that would have been not even slightly "unlucky" on our part)
and we'd've been third.

We GOT RESULTS and the manager (especially) and the team should be commended

But we did not, IMO "exude class", we did not show top class up front.

We had a solid defence that rode its luck at times, and we were on a run, high in confidence and OVER achieved.

That's why I feel concerned.

I believe if we played West ham tomorrow, two games, we'd lose both.

We were and are a decent side. IMO probably the third-best. I think West Ham should have been well-clear
and just their home fans on their backs and them getting the jips at home did for them.

A 4-0 Barnsley
H 3-3 Birmingham
H 6-0 Brighton
A 1-1 Bristol
A 2-1 Leicester
H 2-1 Hull
A 2-0 Cardiff
H 3-0 Cardiff
W 2-1 Blackpool

P9 W7 D2 L0 25-7

And in the season look how many thrashings they handed out (plus Cardiff twice in the POs)

H 6-0 Brighton
A 4-0 Watford
A 4-1 Nottm F
H 4-3 Portsmouth
H 4-0 Blackpool
A 4-1 Blackpool
A 4-0 Barnsley

May we be privvy to their draws and defeats? :wink:

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 23 May 2012 14:27

Snowball IMO, West Ham should have won that game by sewing it up in the first half-hour, like how they beat Brighton

FFS! I know I'm off HNA, but I can't let such a gross Snowballism as that go past. Don't you think that if we'd lost to West Ham, or not been Champions by then, then we'd have played a completely different - and much more committed - team at Birmingham?

By no means is it even vaguely valid to consider one one individual event or piece of data and assume that it exists in complete isolation. In individual games and in whole seasons the overall context changes everything - change that and everything else is liable to change too.

T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 2 down, far right - Still recovering from the weekend's excesses

by T.R.O.L.I. » 23 May 2012 14:29

^ Amen to that!

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 23 May 2012 15:09

Svlad Cjelli
FFS! I know I'm off HNA, but I can't let such a gross Snowballism as that go past. Don't you think that if we'd lost to West Ham, or not been Champions by then, then we'd have played a completely different - and much more committed - team at Birmingham?

Of course, and I think we would have lost. I think Birmingham had a better side than us
and was predicting us to lose it anyway.

Svlad Cjelli By no means is it even vaguely valid to consider one one individual event or piece of data and assume that it exists in complete isolation. In individual games and in whole seasons the overall context changes everything - change that and everything else is liable to change too.

I wasn't isolating THAT game, just making a point.

Deep in my heart despite being thankful of the win
I don't think we deserved to win at West ham
(tho' MAYBE West Ham deserved to lose)

Thank God for us the WHU-the Jips turned up and not West Ham that that thrashed Brighton 6-0

I believe we stole that game. I believe we stole the game at Brighton.
I believe we stole the game at Bristol when we were rubbish.

Maybe we didn't steal the game at Southampton, but I thought a 3-1 win flattered us.

We just had a run of games when the "correction" should have happened
but didn't NOT because we were great but because other sides blew their chances.

And next season I believe it will show.

3/4 of the way through this season quote a few people were saying this squad
would or could "do a Derby" if it went up. Remember!

I love this club, the team, the manager and I'm pleased we won this league

I think we were equal third or fourth best club

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 23 May 2012 15:26

Snowball
Svlad Cjelli

Of course, and I think we would have lost. I think Birmingham had a better side than us
and was predicting us to lose it anyway.

Svlad Cjelli By no means is it even vaguely valid to consider one one individual event or piece of data and assume that it exists in complete isolation. In individual games and in whole seasons the overall context changes everything - change that and everything else is liable to change too.

I wasn't isolating THAT game, just making a point.

Deep in my heart despite being thankful of the win
I don't think we deserved to win at West ham
(tho' MAYBE West Ham deserved to lose)

Thank God for us the WHU-the Jips turned up and not West Ham that that thrashed Brighton 6-0

I believe we stole that game. I believe we stole the game at Brighton.
I believe we stole the game at Bristol when we were rubbish.

Maybe we didn't steal the game at Southampton, but I thought a 3-1 win flattered us.

We just had a run of games when the "correction" should have happened
but didn't NOT because we were great but because other sides blew their chances.

And next season I believe it will show.

3/4 of the way through this season quote a few people were saying this squad
would or could "do a Derby" if it went up. Remember!

I love this club, the team, the manager and I'm pleased we won this league

I think we were equal third or fourth best club

You think wrong. We finished top. Which means we didn't crumble when the pressure was on, won enough games, scored enough goals, reduced the opportunity for luck to sway in favour of the oppostion, and stayed in games long enough for luck to help us out.

The league is long enough to iron out chance.

M-U-R-T-Y
Hob Nob Regular

by M-U-R-T-Y » 23 May 2012 15:55

bigmike West ham striker Vaz Tae has come out saying that Reading and Southampton were lucky this season and no one put them under pressure..

Ok so I guess Reading beating West ham twice with an aggregate score of 7 - 2 was lucky..
LOL

... I guess its because we dont play the flowing football the way that West ham do. I didnt realise that long ball was flowing football.

Reading were under so much pressure against you boys that Jimmy Kebe had time to stop the ball pull his socks up then pass it on.

Anyway well done on the promotion Wet Spam I will enjoy the 6 points again. I hope you enjoy Fat Sams flowing football "HOOF"

Where has he said that?

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 23 May 2012 15:56

Svlad Cjelli
Snowball
Don't you think that if we'd lost to West Ham, or not been Champions by then, then we'd have played a completely different - and much more committed - team at Birmingham?

I think if we had lost to WHU we'd've failed to beat Leeds (a close game anyway)

I think we'd've then gone to Brighton and lost 2-0 or 3-0

then probably lost at Southampton, maybe nicked a draw

The game at Birmingham would have been meaningless as we were already destined for the POs

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 23 May 2012 15:59

Extended-Phenotype
You think wrong. We finished top. Which means we didn't crumble when the pressure was on, won enough games, scored enough goals, reduced the opportunity for luck to sway in favour of the oppostion, and stayed in games long enough for luck to help us out.

The league is long enough to iron out chance.

We finished top because West Ham blew it with a far stronger squad than us.

We had a brilliant system which made us hard to beat but rarely exciting
and we only REALLY trounced one side, Barnsley away after a poor first half.

My point is we need three more players (at least) MORE than WHU or Saints need

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 23 May 2012 16:07

Gordons Cumming [

A 4-0 Barnsley
H 3-3 Birmingham
H 6-0 Brighton
A 1-1 Bristol
A 2-1 Leicester
H 2-1 Hull
A 2-0 Cardiff
H 3-0 Cardiff
W 2-1 Blackpool

P9 W7 D2 L0 25-7

H 6-0 Brighton
A 4-0 Watford
A 4-1 Nottm F
H 4-3 Portsmouth
H 4-0 Blackpool
A 4-1 Blackpool
A 4-0 Barnsley

May we be privvy to their draws and defeats? :wink:[/quote]

Yes they started losing at home, had one horrendous defeat at Ipswich. They obviously had "bottle " issues
and were inconsistent. But the truth is they could have afforded those defeats because for a lot of the time they
were getting good wins, but where they screwed up was that horrendous run of home draws.

For me the real sign of top sides is how hard they are to beat, and they only lost 8 games 24-14-8

Draws are much more expensive these days. Interestingly on the old system all three clubs would have been on 62 points
with Saints beating Reading on Goal Average with West Ham 3rd

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 23 May 2012 16:31

M-U-R-T-Y

Ok so I guess Reading beating West ham twice with an aggregate score of 7 - 2 was lucky..
LOL

... I guess its because we dont play the flowing football the way that West ham do. I didnt realise that long ball was flowing football.

Reading were under so much pressure against you boys that Jimmy Kebe had time to stop the ball pull his socks up then pass it on.

Anyway well done on the promotion Wet Spam I will enjoy the 6 points again. I hope you enjoy Fat Sams flowing football "HOOF"

Where has he said that?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2146553/Ricardo-Vaz-Te-West-Ham-interview.html

126 posts