Gary Neville's analysis...

West_Reading

Gary Neville's analysis...

by West_Reading » 18 Dec 2012 16:04

Having Sky +d the game and watched it back when I got home after the live debacle, I really hope McD spends time listening to Neville's excellent (as usual) analysis and assesment. A lot of the stuff he talks about is what we have all been going on about on here. But his assesment of the goals we have conceded, in particular was spot on. It really highlights how exposed our fullbacks have been left at times this season. Now I don't believe this is because our wingers don't track back, but more because of how narrow they are forced to get (when we don't have the ball) to try and keep it more compact in the middle. When you add to this the fact that fullbacks at this level will bomb on, unlike at Championship level where they would be more worried about our threat, it really explains a lot of our defensive frailties. More reasons why we have to go 451.

Mr.T10

Re: Gary Neville's analysis...

by Mr.T10 » 18 Dec 2012 16:10

We also need a CDM who will just sit in front of the back four this will allow our fullbacks to be less narrow as the CB's are covered.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 18 Dec 2012 16:21

It was very fair assesment bordering on pity. But he was dead right it's not rocket sciance. You only have to look at Norwich after they got tanked in there first few games. When they came to us 451 clean sheet build from that. Keep it at 0-0 and you can always nik a goal from a set piece.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 18 Dec 2012 16:23

Yes. The fact is our entire midfield four get pulled all over the shop, don't function as a unit, have at least one go awol regularly and generally play too narrow. The midfield and central defence all sit in each other's pockets half the time and the rest of the time leave gaping holes. Midfield doesn't track runners or mark the danger zones and no one is working in concert with more than one other player.

What we need to do is integrate one of the strikers into midfield when we don't have the ball (or play 4-5-1). We then have a roving central midfielder off the ball who can fill in down the flank we're being attached to help double up, or drop into any position where another player hasn't got back quick enough or has stepped up to try and chase down a mistake / make an interception. And we need to press as an entire team much further up the pitch without leaving huge gaps to run in behind.

How on earth you drill that shambles of a group of players into doing that sort of thing I have no idea though. They start out eager beavers to try and take a positive start, lose the ball, lose initiative, can't get it back and then at the first sign of a set back their heads go down and they give up because they know they're already down and not good enough.

The only way I can see an improvement is with a total fresh outlook and culture change. I don't see how an incumbant can possibly do that.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 18 Dec 2012 16:24

Forgot to Sky+ MNF last night, is this available online or repeated?

Mr.T10

by Mr.T10 » 18 Dec 2012 16:25

Jackson Corner It was very fair assesment bordering on pity. But he was dead right it's not rocket sciance. You only have to look at Norwich after they got tanked in there first few games. When they came to us 451 clean sheet build from that. Keep it at 0-0 and you can always nik a goal from a set piece.

McDermott can't grasp that. Unlike the championship the premier league is so dependant on Form. He thinks after a 1-0 loss to Southampton we can go out and do the same thing, no you need to go out try and not lose next game. Look at Norwich as you said they started off drawing and turned those in to wins. Building up momentum.

Jink

by Jink » 18 Dec 2012 18:06

You lot may laugh but what about Gary Neville as our manager if the Russian gives BM the Spanish Archer?

The man knows his stuff clearly plus he is young and could build a great team to come straight back up and survive the following season in the premiership. It is also a big plus that he has his obvious connections at United- fergie may be inclined to lend us some of their up an coming talent.

I would be overjoyed if the above ever happend :D

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 18 Dec 2012 18:10

Jink You lot may laugh but what about Gary Neville as our manager if the Russian gives BM the Spanish Archer?

The man knows his stuff clearly plus he is young and could build a great team to come straight back up and survive the following season in the premiership. It is also a big plus that he has his obvious connections at United- fergie may be inclined to lend us some of their up an coming talent.

You think GN does it all off his own back?..there are anylists in the studio looking over the game with a fine toothed comb . GN only relays it to the viewers.
besides he is employed by the FA as coach for the national team plus SKY which probably pays more than we could afford,
Last edited by windermere_royal on 18 Dec 2012 18:13, edited 1 time in total.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 18 Dec 2012 18:10

Jink You lot may laugh but what about Gary Neville as our manager if the Russian gives BM the Spanish Archer?

Would love to see him manage us after seeing his analysis, and he was involved in the England set up. But why on earth, if he would go into management, would he take his first job on a certain relegation with us?

Jink

by Jink » 18 Dec 2012 18:17

Ian Royal

Would love to see him manage us after seeing his analysis, and he was involved in the England set up. But why on earth, if he would go into management, would he take his first job on a certain relegation with us?

I know it's probably the wrong thread but here is a list in order of my choice of replacements:

Gary Neville
Guys Poyet
Dimeto
Dicanio
Glen Hoddle
Mark Hughes
Sven!

Royal Monk

by Royal Monk » 18 Dec 2012 18:49

You think GN does it all off his own back

There will be people doing the video editing but he knows his stuff , he doesnt use an autocue ..... personally i think he's one of the best at his job
Definately miles better than Gray/Lawro/Hansen and the rest of the tv mongdiv presenters

super darren caskey
Hob Nob Regular

by super darren caskey » 18 Dec 2012 18:51

Yeah Gary Neville would be great to succeed Brian.He also has a good standing in the game and could entice a few players to the club.Prob first dibs on some loans of Man Utd youngsters too(if Sir Alex stays at the helm)

** 2nd Dibbs after his son of course
Last edited by super darren caskey on 18 Dec 2012 18:54, edited 1 time in total.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 18 Dec 2012 18:51

Neville is a great pundit, his first few games were cringe worthy, but now he's comfortable he's very good. Better than that sexist Scot and his mate definitely.

peterroyal76
Hob Nob Regular
Location: North stand B13.......where all the empty seats are!

by peterroyal76 » 18 Dec 2012 18:59

Royal Monk
You think GN does it all off his own back

There will be people doing the video editing but he knows his stuff , he doesnt use an autocue ..... personally i think he's one of the best at his job
Definately miles better than Gray/Lawro/Hansen and the rest of the tv mongdiv presenters

This.

Derbyshire Royal

by Derbyshire Royal » 18 Dec 2012 19:05

Ratboy had it right before the game, I didn't like him much before, but he really know his stuff.

buzzby
Hob Nob Regular

by buzzby » 18 Dec 2012 19:10

Gary Neville will end up being Sky's highest paid employee. They will not let him go now. I've never seen so many football fans change their opinion of someone. (Maybe Beckham)

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 18 Dec 2012 19:31

What was impressive was his pre match comments when he looked at the set up of both teams and how sides had scored against us - particularly the space left in the middle from the low puilled back cross - agree, I really hope all our coaching staff reviewed the sky coverage as we are making the same mistakes week in week in out and it is down to tactics as much as the players.

I know everyone is slaughtering Leigertwood and to some extent Tabb on here but what the hell chance have the two of them got when they are outnumbered in midfield by technical superior players week in, week out?

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 18 Dec 2012 19:37

Has anyone got a link to this?

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 18 Dec 2012 19:41

Mr.T10 We also need a CDM who will just sit in front of the back four this will allow our fullbacks to be less narrow as the CB's are covered.

Nail on head. If we need to strengthen anywhere, its right there. Ledge's position was appalling, again. The back line just don't get any protection off him.

USA_Loyal_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by USA_Loyal_Royal » 18 Dec 2012 19:59

what we desperately need:

prem quality RB
prem quality CDM
prem quality CM/AM
prem quality CB

we get those 4 i could actually see us staying up baring a good run of form!

if guthrie and jem get back to health and are in the team and kebe stays healthy we could have a good run!